No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited July 2016 Posts: 709

@bondjames, another 2000's action film that revolutionized the genre was 'Taken'. It was the film that kick-started not only Neeson's career as a lead action star, but it started the genre of older, more mature action heroes. I think a big reason why Arnie, Sly, Cruise, Denzel, Gibson are all churning up action movies in the last few years is because Taken showed there a big market for this style of action films.

Yes Taken was very successful, but another reason for the resurgence of the old guard (add Kevin Costner and Mickey Rourke into that group) is that there are simply no real movie stars who have come along to replace them. Who are the tough guys of today's generation? It just seems like an endless parade of generic guys named Chris playing superheroes.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I was really disappointed with the first Bourne film; I didn't even bother seeing the sequels. Thought I would like it, but I really don't.

Same here. Watched the first one in the theater because I'd heard it was awesome and a more 'real' Bond style movie, but found it to be a dull and mediocre experience. I remember there was hype about Clive Owen being the next Bond (LOL) and he displayed his usual charisma of a bag of dry cement in it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree. The new generation of pretty boys is sorely lacking in the bona fides to take on the tough roles. It's sad that the 80's gang can still show them a thing or two.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Apart from Matt Damon, Daniel Craig and Jason Statham, I can't think of any action stars in Hollywood who started in the 2000's and found a sizeable fanbase. And all 3 of these guys are nearing 50.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Interesting discussion. Bourne is a spastic bore.

Hope we have some Bond news.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2016 Posts: 28,694
    I'm having a rough time of thinking about actors that fit a new breed of action heroes too. The only one that really comes to mind that in any way resembles anything close to the impact of the old guard is The Rock. Maybe Vin Diesel too, and Chris Pine (?).
    Indeed. The 21st century so far sorely lacks in the movie star department. Just guys cast in comic franchises that can't carry a lead role in a film outside their superhero persona.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It is amazing the lack of actors that truly have a strong screen presence.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Tight continuity

You must give me the name of your oculist.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    echo wrote: »
    Tight continuity

You must give me the name of your oculist.
    And your point is...?
    Once again, not exactly news but something interesting to ponder...

Steven Soderbergh Admits He Was Once In Talks For James Bond
    3018506-poster-p-steven-soderberghs-twitter-novella-gets-a-hardcover-edition-but-you-can-read-it-online.jpg
    http://theplaylist.net/steven-soderbergh-admits-james-bond-talks-new-weird-midnight-edition-kafka-20160713/

I really like this idea. Soderbergh is a terrific director and a huge fan of the series. I love the sound, look and editing of his films. His casts are always terrific. I recently watched Haywire and he created a great sexy spy thriller that is very much a throwback to the early Bonds whilst incorporating some crunchy Bourne-esque/MMA-style fights.

I also recently saw Contagion which is a terrific procedural thriller which is so confidently executed.

Soderbergh toyed with the idea of making The Man from UNCLE, so clearly he has a spy itch that needs tending to. Furthermore, he's currently working Daniel Craig on Logan Lucky. We know Craig likes to offer the job to his friends, so he may be enticed to return if Soderbergh gets involved. Notice in the article, Soderbergh dosen't want to talk too much about Bond untill the reporter pushes further. Maybe there is something there.

He also wrote a terrific piece on his blog about OHMSS:
    http://extension765.com/sdr/2-most-irrelevant-no-1

In the meanwhile, when do we think he was in talks? I'd imagine sometime in the 90s and maybe one Craig film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm sure Soderbergh could have made a very 'cool' Bond film, with excellent characterizations. Sort of one step down from Tarantino (if he is considered too 'out there').
    Interesting
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2016 Posts: 15,690
    The 3 'Ocean's' films (I love the whole trilogy) are some of the coolest and most stylish films I've seen in the 21st century. I would really like to have such style in the Bond cannon.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Not sure why it fell through, so I can't accuse anyone of dropping the ball but... how did this not happen?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    pachazo wrote: »
    Not sure why it fell through, so I can't accuse anyone of dropping the ball but... how did this not happen?

Eon fell in love with Mendes probably. I dunno. One of those off decisions like hiring P&W back...

Who knows...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think the case with Soderbergh not doing it is the same reason Refn likely won't. They're both extremely independent filmmakers and do projects where their vision is always theirs above all else. It makes sense why they wouldn't be as eager as some to jump on the Bondwagon, as the series has a distinct template and "rules" that they'd find themselves conforming to and following to the letter. In addition, they'd have to work from some kind of established continuity and continue on from the work of other directors. It's not something I could see either of them doing, unfortunately.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Aside from some heist film he had planned with Channing Tatum back in February, I'm pretty sure Soderbergh is retired from film, anyway, so a Bond installment helmed by him is most certainly out of the question now.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I can't remember the last Soderbergh film I saw, but whichever one it was it triggered me to make sure to never see one of his films again. He's overrated. His article on OHMSS didn't change my mind either.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Aside from some heist film he had planned with Channing Tatum back in February, I'm pretty sure Soderbergh is retired from film, anyway, so a Bond installment helmed by him is most certainly out of the question now.

It was just announced last week that his next film is about the Panama Papers.

Red_Snow wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It was just announced last week that his next film is about the Panama Papers.

'Logan Lucky' was the heist film I'm talking about, doesn't seem confirmed that he'll be directing the Panama movie, just producing. If he does end up directing, though, that means it's another one of those false retirement announcements I heard of, then.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

He retired, then unretired. Logan Lucky is his first film since (it also has Craig in it).
    @AlexanderWaverly, yes, I mentioned that a few comments after, so I suppose he un-retired for good, especially if he's looking to direct the Panama papers film.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 12,837
    It'll just be Bourne going after the CIA and foil some of their other plans, a few fistfights in shaky cam mode, surveillance, Bourne watching his targets from afar with a sniper scope ripped off a rifle, changing cellphones (or smartphones as of today) and ditching SIM cards, a few mentions of Operation Treadstone, energy pills, assassins trying to kill Bourne sent by the head of CIA with some "dark past" and done.

Agree with this. I'm sure it'll be a great tightly paced action spy thriller film just like the rest of them are but I was really hoping they'd do something different, especially when I heard about the Vegas setting. Instead it's just Bourne fighting the CIA again, this time with more emphasis on his backstory. Yay.

I think the best route would have been to make him kind of a Jack Reacher figure. After finding out who he is Bourne becomes a drifter, he just sort of wanders, finding himself in work that suits his skillset and getting caught up in plots that form the basis of the films.

I really hope, if nothing else, that Treadstone (or whatever the other one was called) don't play a role in the plot. If they absoloutely have to keep the whole modern political spy thing going, with the CIA as the villains, at least do something different. No more groups of highly trained super assassins please.

I understand that Damon and Greengrass like to use these films to provide political commentary but they could do that with a number of issues all around the world. Bourne as a character has limitless potential, the franchise could be so much more.

I've read some of the continuation books and enjoyed them a lot. They could definitely look to the source material a bit more instead of doing the same old routine again.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Good points, @thelivingroyale. I especially would like him to be more like Reacher (I love the books) as I think that could fit Bourne like a glove. It could be more interesting, for sure; but it seems they will keep taking a "safer" route.
    I'm sure we'll find out that yet another group, besides Treadstone, besides Blackbriar and besides the unit of chemical super serum freaks from Legacy have been tasked with killing Bourne. It does get tiring after a while, and all of the assassins are so faceless and hollow each and every time. "We'll show Bourne killing this guy, but we won't give him any kind of characterization besides being really fast and angry so you won't care when he shows up." After the Paris assassin of Identity, the Russian agent of Supremacy and the onslaught of assassins in Ultimatum, it all just gets too tired, with the only truly interesting character being Clive Owen's character from the first film, as fleeting as he was in the action. It's hard to feel tension for Bourne when you don't even know who is chasing him, really, or how being a wet work agent affects them and their lives as it does Bourne's.

It'd be great to get a film where we follow the life of Bourne on his own drifting and the life of the assassin tasked with taking him out so that when the two ultimately face off, you really don't want them to fight because you've connected to each and sympathized with their causes.
    Whats stopping him Soderbergh from doing a Bond film? Maybe the film he is working on with Craig could lead to one maybe
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @AlexanderWaverly, yes, I mentioned that a few comments after, so I suppose he un-retired for good, especially if he's looking to direct the Panama papers film.

It appears that way. Sorry if I seemed to be ganging up. I saw the initial commented and replied before seeing other comments on the subject.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I do remember reading somewhere before that Soderbergh fancied OHMSS a lot.
  • I do remember reading somewhere before that Soderbergh fancied OHMSS a lot.

Seems to be a popular Bond film among directors. Refn sited it as his favorite as well.
    I do remember reading somewhere before that Soderbergh fancied OHMSS a lot.

Seems to be a popular Bond film among directors. Refn sited it as his favorite as well.

OHMSS is very highly regarded amongst many filmmakers, not just directors, but editors and DOPs as well because it's just so brilliantly made. The action, stunt work, fight scenes, editing, score, etc., and a very fine screenplay. It remains my favourite with CR a close second and then, equally close, FRWL.