The Race to be the Next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom [Theresa May the new PM - 13 July 2016]

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, get someone in charge, and get negotiations going !
    I'm glad Leadsom is out. Far too right wing for my liking and her reasons to oppose same sex marriage was downright pathetic, not to mention cowardly. It's never good when someone panders to the most repressive elements of his or her ideological family, whether it's from the right or the left. Theresa May's brand of conservatism is far more in tune with modernity.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Cameron stepping down on Wednesday after PMQ's, new Prime Minister by the evening.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 11,119
    So May it is :-D! Perhaps 'Iron Lady 2.0'? As she is definitely the most progressive Tory atm. So she has the 'iron' mentality of Thatcher, though luckily she's more left-wing within the Conservative Party as compared to Thatcher. I'd say: Good choice. I told you so dear forummembers. I also have a gut feeling that she maintains the Free Trade policy that is so important to the EU.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    From the Conservative party's perspective, they've just changed one 'Remainer' with another, and have also ostensibly marginalized (for the time being) the Brexiters within their own party, which is ironic given the result. They need someone with political skills to navigate the waters ahead, and May has that in spades. If history is any guide, she will be forgotten down the road. A caretaker 'plug'.

The real surprise is the fiasco that has taken (and is taking) place on the left. What a trainwreck (Angela Eagle?), but also perhaps a necessary catharsis. I'm fairly certain they will reinvent themselves in time and come back to clinch it. This won't be a repeat of the Kinnock years.
    bondjames wrote: »
    From the Conservative party's perspective, they've just changed one 'Remainer' with another, and have also ostensibly marginalized (for the time being) the Brexiters within their own party, which is ironic given the result. They need someone with political skills to navigate the waters ahead, and May has that in spades. If history is any guide, she will be forgotten down the road. A caretaker 'plug'.

The real surprise is the fiasco that has taken (and is taking) place on the left. What a trainwreck (Angela Eagle?), but also perhaps a necessary catharsis. I'm fairly certain they will reinvent themselves in time and come back to clinch it. This won't be a repeat of the Kinnock years.

Well, let's face it, the Brexit-ers marginalized themselves with backstabbing and shameless fingerpointing. Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Andrea Liedjes and Michael Gove all lacked a certain temperament and a nuanced verbal approach. This is a prime example of Conservatives that are simply too clown-ish, too populist to really do the job: Sailing the UK into more windstille ports.

Regarding your criticism about Labour. I find it rather unheard of that people blaim them, when in reality the Conservative Party was leading the country. Labour is in the opposition, so in all honesty Cameron should be victimized.....and rightfully so. HE was the PM, HE should have fully embraced the EU as a Remained-er. But he didn't. From Corbyn's perspective I can actually understand his unclear wordings about the EU, but NOT from a Prime Minister for Goodness sake.

Anyway, I think Theresa May is a wise choice. Hopefully she can bring unity to a Divided Kingdom. And perhaps May and Eagle will walk hand in hand at times too :-P.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well, let's face it, the Brexit-ers marginalized themselves with backstabbing and shameless fingerpointing.

And we should also face it that the Remain side did exactly the same thing for the entire referendum campaign. Both sides made a woeful campaign.
    I can't understand Gustav's need to have villains and heroes. :D
    They are the creation of story books, the real world is a little more
    pragmatic ;) " Only Nixon, could go to China "
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Well, let's face it, the Brexit-ers marginalized themselves with backstabbing and shameless fingerpointing. Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, Andrea Liedjes and Michael Gove all lacked a certain temperament and a nuanced verbal approach. This is a prime example of Conservatives that are simply too clown-ish, too populist to really do the job: Sailing the UK into more windstille ports.
    And this is precisely the problem. They marginalized themselves, even though they represented the will of just over 50% of the population. Arguably where we are now is the best way forward, because a pragmatic 'Remainer' will be in the best position politically to chart a path which respects the decision of the majority of the electorate while still appeasing the minority (whose group she represented). It's a just over 50% split in favour of leaving, and that's how it should be negotiated and maneuvered. Tactfully and without bombast.
    Regarding your criticism about Labour. I find it rather unheard of that people blaim them, when in reality the Conservative Party was leading the country.
    Not sure if you were directing that at me, and if so perhaps you misunderstood. I'm not blaming anyone. I just find it amusing that they have chosen to have an identity crisis at a moment when they could have captured the high ground. Perhaps Corbyn is not the man for the job, but I respect him standing his ground and fighting for his principles, unlike some of his cabinet who appear to be obsolete 'New' Labour holdouts, at least on the face of it.
    Just over 50%. = Winners :))
    Just under 50% = Whingers :((
    "Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best.
    Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen". John Mason
    =))
    Perfect example of where the power lies within the Conservative Party, the MPs dont give tuppence for the views of the members and happy to run the show. Totally undemocratic but it gets the job done. They have done in one afternoon what it will take the Labour party months.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University
    edited July 2016 Posts: 299
    Just over 50%. = Winners :))
    Just under 50% = Whingers :((
    "Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best.
    Winners go home and f*ck the prom queen". John Mason
    =))
    Here it seems the winners don't get to do much f***ing, they were too busy cutting each other's throat. By the time they come home they may find the prom queen is already busy. :))

At least all the talk about holding a second referendum have stopped. I guess
    Some people finally figured out what a democratic vote really is. :))
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think we all know how democracy works, it's ok for those that got what they wanted it just took some of us who didn't to adjust, It would have been interesting to see how some would have reacted had it gone the other way, I guess we'll never know.

I acknowledge it's time to stop going on about reversing the decison but please Brexiters give the smugness a rest will you.
    Not smugness, it's good old fashioned British gloating ! :))
    But I agree it's time to work together :)>-
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 389
    Yes it's May, as I predicted, yes she was on the remain side but was very quite because she's always been a eurosceptic. So let's see what happens before we judge her, as to a general election, not for 10 months at least, Britain is all campained out, if their was an election so soon I think you might see a revolution....... :-?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The Chairman of the Conservative 1922 Committee (of Backbench MPs), who runs the leadership contest, has said there will be no other contest or candidates running and rightly so. It was after all free and fair contest and like the EU referendum result rules are rules. I had initially supported Michael Gove's bid for the premiership but once it came down to the two ladies I quickly changed to Theresa May. I'm delighted she has won and that we don't have to listen to two months of campaigning for the leadership of the Party and the country. In the end, the best possible person for the job (as she said herself) won and that is all that matters. The loathsome Leadsom is a nonentity to me and her castigating of Mrs May as childless finally did her in. What a nasty woman! She wasn't even a member of the Cabinet!
    Watching the news, they have a few ideas Theresa May has for Britain and I have to
    say, I agree with her ideas !
    For a free slogan, I've suggested if you put the M in May upside down to get W ...
    ... you could have There's a Way ! :D from Theresa May
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    We shall have a new M by the end of the week.
    Watching the news, they have a few ideas Theresa May has for Britain and I have to
    For a free slogan, I've suggested if you put the M in May upside down to get W ...

Or if you swap the letters M.A.Y. With the letters S.H.A.T. You get Theresa Shat.
  • RC7RC7
    Sanchairs wrote: »

Or if you swap the letters M.A.Y. With the letters S.H.A.T. You get Theresa Shat.

See what you did there.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sanchairs wrote: »

Biting political satire. Iannucci - sign this guy up.
    I'm happy it's May and reasonably optimistic.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm happy it's May and reasonably optimistic.

I'll be glad when it is August.

It's still all been a political and economic disaster though hasn't it? That's the main thing.
    Everthing's going to be OK. Nanny May will see to us ! ;)
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited July 2016 Posts: 5,080
    Delete
    I think May will be the New Maggie Thatcher?!!!
    edited July 2016 Posts: 23,883
    A new Maggie with a new Ronnie (Donnie) is a recipe for catastrophe imho. I certainly hope both are a little more tempered in their foreign policy outlooks than their illustrious predecessors, although I fear a show of transatlantic strength a'la 1982 might be just what the doctor will order. The 'special relationship' needs reconsummating.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm just hoping for May v Merkel bikini wrestling in custard live on pay per view.

It's about time Angela took a smackdown. Get stuck in for Britain Teresa lass.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm just hoping for May v Merkel bikini wrestling in custard live on pay per view.

It's about time Angela took a smackdown. Get stuck in for Britain Teresa lass.

May will put Merkel in her place and rightfully so. No one single leader of a country has been so bad for and damaging to the EU, the middle class and democracy than Merkel.

It may be advance praise but I believe May is the best thing that could have happened to the UK.
    I believe she will make a difference and see to it that the UK will be in a good place outside the EU.
This discussion has been closed.