Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Well, let's face it that the films have set the signatures for the Bond template. The DB5 doesn't even exist as a property of Bond's in the literary universe. But, it's associated with Bond thanks to the EON films so... Like the martinis, tuxedos, PPK, the DB5 is one of Bond's trademarks.

At least, that's how I see it.

But he does drive a DB3 in Goldfinger, hence the DB5 in the film, it was still in early stages of production when EON came to use it.
    Yes, but DB Mark III is not DB5.

Yes but one assumes they were just updating what was in the novel.
    Of course. But, even thought they are of the same brand, they're completely different cars. (Yes, both are Astons and of the David Brown build, but different models) Just like the Walther's PPK and P99.
  • edited June 2016 Posts: 1,661
    The gun barrel not at the start!

Really shaky camera work. Some parts of QOS almost gave me a headache!

Perhaps less London locations for action too but that's because I'm a Brit and it feels too local. Having said that, I wouldn't mind an action scene on the London Eye* or hanging from Big Ben, but other than that I'd like to see no more underground London trains or London bridges in future Bond films. ;)

*I do feel the London Eye wheel is crying out for an action scene in a Bond film!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Social commentary.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Well, let's face it that the films have set the signatures for the Bond template. The DB5 doesn't even exist as a property of Bond's in the literary universe. But, it's associated with Bond thanks to the EON films so... Like the martinis, tuxedos, PPK, the DB5 is one of Bond's trademarks.

But he does drive a DB3 in Goldfinger, hence the DB5 in the film, it was still in early stages of production when EON came to use it.

No, but it was the film-makers following the book. Obviously the Mk3 was an old model and they had the chance to use the latest. So they took from Fleming the idea of using an Aston Martin.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, get the newest car. :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423

No, but it was the film-makers following the book. Obviously the Mk3 was an old model and they had the chance to use the latest. So they took from Fleming the idea of using an Aston Martin.
    Again, it's a different model. Just because its build is of David Brown design doesn't mean it's the same model with upgrades. It has its own label, just as the other DB's have theirs. They have their different functions, different test-drives and dare I say one's engine capacity is superior over the other. Now, you can't easily say the DB9 and the DB10 are the same models, can you?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Also in Bond's wotld, I can't see him putting on a pair of overalls, to get under the DB5
    at weekends, to fix some problem or other.
    ;)

I can see NSNA Connery doing that.
    A scene where bond has to car jack an old Lotus for a chase would be great, or just a new updated Lotus would be cool.
    Some of the new Lotus designs are amazing !
    Maybe an idea for a thread. What Bond films stand out, and in what way?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Doesn't TSWLM have a sea element throughout? Whereas MR is the space version. That's how I see it anyway - from the tanker to the car to the lair etc. etc. The skiing was only in the pretitles.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I miss that aspect to.

Here's some -

DN - First one
    FRWL - The Thriller
    GF - The Iconic One
    TB - Underwater One
    YOLT - The Japanese One
    OHMSS - The One Where Bond Gets Married
    DAF - The Weird One
    LALD - The Blaxploitation One
    TMWTGG - The Kung-Fu One
    Spy - The Ski Jump One
    MR - The Space One
    FYEO - The Grounded One
    OP - The Indian One
    LTK - The Vendetta One
    GE - The Revival
    CR - The Reboot
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    One thing I thought of after watching SP this past week. I never want to see again for a very very long time is Bond going rogue. Realistically, it never should have happened in SP. Ok, so Bond creates a disaster in Mexico City in the PTS, which could have easily been the assignment handed to Bond by M at the end of SF to go find/interrogate Sciarra. So things went haywire and M gives Bond 48 hours to go to Rome to find any connection, under the radar with C's motivation to shut down the 00 section.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One thing I thought of after watching SP this past week. I never want to see again for a very very long time is Bond going rogue. Realistically, it never should have happened in SP. Ok, so Bond creates a disaster in Mexico City in the PTS, which could have easily been the assignment handed to Bond by M at the end of SF to go find/interrogate Sciarra. So things went haywire and M gives Bond 48 hours to go to Rome to find any connection, under the radar with C's motivation to shut down the 00 section.

I've been quite vocal about this, as well. It's been a staple throughout the Craig era, and it's occurred in the last five Bond movies: him going rogue, not being trustworthy, etc. Hopefully, the sixth time is the charm and we don't have to deal with this again for a while.
    So it's no more going Rogue, homages or titles with kill or Death :)
    Honestly, the final film is what matters to me, so I'm not going to be as critical of a title as I am aspects of the film itself. I might love or hate a title, but they can name them whatever as long as the film is excellent.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Connery and Moore never went rogue. The rest did. As noted, Craig's Bond has made an "art" of it.

Which is unnecessary with the exception of QOS. That was his "LTK" and it should have never been done again in any shape or form. I was never a huge fan of smartblood because it's basically the same as the chip being put in his wrist in CR. Or even perhaps, Bond not keeping the secret video from M a secret.
    What kills me with the "smart blood" is it gets a generic, CSI mumbo-jumbo sort of description, when they literally did the same thing in CR without going into any detail. You knew they were now tracking him, didn't need to take time unnecessarily explaining it.
    I'd like to go back to Bond films that focus on a specific area of 007's abilities and expertise. I've said something similar about locations ;we used to travel with Bond to one (maybe two) major locations per film and get (relatively) immersed in it's ways, ambiance and customs. This was done through Bond having serious interactions with the locals, and through local ritual (the gypsy fight, OHMSS Christmas celebrations, etc.). Since the mid-70s Bond mainly jumps from location to location, which are essentially just colorful backdrop.

The other thing that I miss is, when I was growing up, many Bond films were thematic. FRWL was the gypsies and The Orient Express, TB was the underwater Bond film, YOLT was the ninja/Japanese Bond film, OHMSS was where Bond skis, LALD was the Blaxploitation Bond film, TMWTGG was Bond vs his opposite number (notice he only has one kill in that one), MR was Bond in space. Beginning with TSWLM, most of the Bond films became a hodgepodge of skiing (or some form of snow chase), sea-diving, etc. I would have preferred if FYEO had included even more mountain climbing in lieu of the ski scene (which was very good) and the underwater dreck. I long for that.

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    What kills me with the "smart blood" is it gets a generic, CSI mumbo-jumbo sort of description, when they literally did the same thing in CR without going into any detail. You knew they were now tracking him, didn't need to take time unnecessarily explaining it.

But for me, it all sums up to the fact that he shouldn't have been tracked at all. He spends the first 3/4 of the film in M's doghouse.
    So it's no more going Rogue, homages or titles with kill or Death :)

DEATH TO SPIES would be a great title.
    Maybe in Russian perhaps. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Exactly right. I was wondering that in the theatre - don't these idiots watch their own product before trying to write the next one? We already did this 3 films ago and now they make a deal out of it. Clowns.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    Exactly right. I was wondering that in the theatre - don't these idiots watch their own product before trying to write the next one? We already did this 3 films ago and now they make a deal out of it. Clowns.

You've smashed that out of the park chaps. A depressingly shit idea which I couldn't believe they were making out like it was a work of genius when we've seen exactly the same scene 2 films earlier.

And in either film what does it amount to?Bugger all from what I can see. In CR it's never mentioned again until it's cut out of his arm. In SP it's only mentioned in passing by M and when you sit down and think about it you can understand that C is passing SPECTRE info about Bond's location. But erase it completely and spend the 3 minutes you save explaining how Mr White, Quantum, Sciarra and SPECTRE are all linked and do you lose anything?

Only other thing I can add is I felt the same about the signature gun in SF.

How many times do we need to say it? Sack P&W and sort the writing out EON FFS.
  • In the early SP scripts the "smart blood" was better utilized. It makes it clear that's how Blofeld knew Bond was at the meeting in Rome and that Q even got captured in Austria and apparently beaten/ and or tortured to gain full control of the "smart blood" info. There was a bit more to it, the blood also monitors Bond vital signs, i.e heartbeat, blood pressure, stress levels, etc and it was to be used by Blofled during the earlier version of the torture scene, which took place in a Solar Furnace to monitor Bond's physiological reaction to the torture, however as Suivez_ce_parachute pointed out it turned into a plothole when Blofeld fails to use the "Smart Blood" to watch Bond die in the furnace which he could have. Instead he just sends a text to one of his goons, already dispatched by either Bond or Q asking "Are they dead?", to which Bond responds.

Personally I had no problems with the "smart blood", it's different from the tracking chip in CR, an upgrade in technology, wouldn't be surprised if someone like DARPA is working on something similar in real life, however I do agree that I was disappointed in how it was handled in the final film.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd like to go back to Bond films that focus on a specific area of 007's abilities and expertise. I've said something similar about locations ;we used to travel with Bond to one (maybe two) major locations per film and get (relatively) immersed in it's ways, ambiance and customs. This was done through Bond having serious interactions with the locals, and through local ritual (the gypsy fight, OHMSS Christmas celebrations, etc.). Since the mid-70s Bond mainly jumps from location to location, which are essentially just colorful backdrop.

The other thing that I miss is, when I was growing up, many Bond films were thematic. FRWL was the gypsies and The Orient Express, TB was the underwater Bond film, YOLT was the ninja/Japanese Bond film, OHMSS was where Bond skis, LALD was the Blaxploitation Bond film, TMWTGG was Bond vs his opposite number (notice he only has one kill in that one), MR was Bond in space. Beginning with TSWLM, most of the Bond films became a hodgepodge of skiing (or some form of snow chase), sea-diving, etc. I would have preferred if FYEO had included even more mountain climbing in lieu of the ski scene (which was very good) and the underwater dreck. I long for that.

I quite like this point. I may add that TMWTGG was a little distracted with the whole kung fu shtick, so I may pose that that was the first sign of an unfocused Bond. In my opinion the lack of focus was at its worst in AVTAK, where we essentially had two stories that did not mesh well - a horse riding arc and an earthquake arc - and didn't complement each other.

It's mostly because the films jump location too much, so there's no air of constancy.
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    Bond saying "I'll have a glass of milk, 2 percent not homo"

Christoph Waltz

I quite like this point. I may add that TMWTGG was a little distracted with the whole kung fu shtick, so I may pose that that was the first sign of an unfocused Bond. In my opinion the lack of focus was at its worst in AVTAK, where we essentially had two stories that did not mesh well - a horse riding arc and an earthquake arc - and didn't complement each other.

It's mostly because the films jump location too much, so there's no air of constancy.

I agree with your points regarding AVTAK. Its almost like two Bond short stories in one film and a horrible attempt to link them. I love the horse race concept in AVTAK, hence why the first half of AVTAK is one of my favourites in the series.
    Stupidly unrealistic gadgets!
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States

Let's not forget that Octopussy was Bond in India/Bond and the not-Amazons, and License to Kill was Miami Vice: Guest starring James Bond. Around Goldeneye was when themes got inconsistent.