Things you never want to see in a Bond film again

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'd prefer not to see formulaic Bond films which start off promisingly but which run out of ideas and predictably collapse in the final half or third of the run time. I'm thinking particularly about SP, TND & DAD, but I'm sure there are others.

In a way, I'd prefer an all round mediocre entry than one which shows great promise at the start but then falls over itself later on. For some reason, I can't be bothered to watch them too often because I know it will end disappointingly.
    ---

I also would prefer not to see tonally inconsistent films going forward. I can handle either serious or camp, but would prefer if a film doesn't try to be all things to all viewers. That inevitably doesn't work for me.
    ---

Regarding the recurring villain thing: I'm ok with it, but it's not my preference. If he/she gives a less than stellar performance or characterization (Waltz imho), then I'd have to endure it for more than one film, which is something I'd rather not have to experience (especially with the longer gaps between films these days).
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Sequels,story-arcs and soap-opera drama.

Back to basics,as Bond used to be.

I don't ever want to see another story-arc in the Bond film series again, especially with 3-4 year spaces in between. Makes absolutely no sense and just piggybacks on a trend set by other successful franchises.
    The only arc I would accept is something so subtle it would barely classify: like Bond referencing his attache case in GF for example.
    The other day a friend asked me if there any truth to the Elba rumors. I basically told them Eon was working on other projects and right now any Bond casting articles in the media were pretty much invalid since B25 is barely in development. He responded by saying "well the story arc seemed to have closed with the last film so I wouldn't mind if we didn't see another Bond film for 5 or 10 years".
    Granted, he's not quite the Bond fan I am, but I feel had the series not gone down that route, that conversation wouldn't have been necessary.
    In addition, it shows that audiences now have become so accustomed to having to follow story arcs, whether in film franchises, or television, that once that arc is resolved, the series is finished.

edited January 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I can just see the marketing bumpfh for the film that follows Craig's self contained reboot tenure experiment now:

Return to Classic Bond etc. etc.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I can just see the marketing bumpfh for the film that follows Craig's self contained reboot tenure now:

Probably. I really wouldn't mind it if the formula was done well enough it to not call attention to itself, and we end up with a great Bond film.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I can just see the marketing bumpfh for the film that follows Craig's self contained reboot tenure now:

Probably. I really wouldn't mind it if the formula was done well enough it to not call attention to itself, and we end up with a great Bond film.
    I agree with your friend (and Purvis it seems, based on a recent interview that he gave) that the current arc is pretty much done.

I think if they branch out in a new direction we will get a superb Bond film in the tradition of every 'first film' from a new actor, which is why I'm rooting for this approach. I have less faith if it's a continuation with the same team, but one never knows...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Brosnan.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Brosnan detractors.
    That's not IN a Bond film?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 15,423
    It sort of was. In Quantum of Solace particularly. The story was screaming anti-Brosnan. ;)
  • echoecho 007 in New York

I agree with your friend (and Purvis it seems, based on a recent interview that he gave) that the current arc is pretty much done.

I read it as them saying that Trump/Brexit/Putin are now so over-the-top, it will be difficult for them to create a larger-than-life villain.
    PC for the sake of it blackwashing of longstanding characters.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    echo wrote: »

I read it as them saying that Trump/Brexit/Putin are now so over-the-top, it will be difficult for them to create a larger-than-life villain.

Confused hysteria is giving them a writer s block?

Brexit has taken human form?
    edited January 2017 Posts: 5,990
    vzok wrote: »

Brexit has taken human form?

Their words, not mine: "Each time, you’ve got to say something about Bond’s place in the world, which is Britain’s place in the world… with people like Trump, the Bond villain has become a reality."

But I agree.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The only difference between Trump and the Bond villains is that the latter actually acknowledge global warming.
    True. But the only way to eradicate 50% of the issue would to control the Chinese. So we can't stop it anyhow.
    I don't want to see Waltz or Seydoux in a Bond film again. In fact, I don't want to see a recurring villain played by the same actor in consecutive films. I realize I may be sorely disappointed if B25 goes in the direction that some speculate, but this is still my strong preference.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Plastic laser guns in the opening sequences. They were prominent in the 70s and 80s.
    I don't want to see Waltz or Seydoux in a Bond film again. In fact, I don't want to see a recurring villain played by the same actor in consecutive films. I realize I may be sorely disappointed if B25 goes in the direction that some speculate, but this is still my strong preference.
    Agreed. Part of the fun is having a new Bond villain and Bond girl each film. I don't want repeats.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 226
    Plot elements that belong in sci-fi (specifically going to space)
    Action sports other than snow skiing
    Bond Girls played by models who can't act
    Bond films without lead Bond Girls or where Bond doesn't sleep with the main Bond Girl.
    Bond in a t-shirt, unless it's a quick scene where he's in an undershirt getting dressed or something. Polo shirts should be rare. Keep him dressed up.
    A Bond actor over 50
    Half of Fleming's novels had plots relating to sci-fi elements.
    If possible, I don't want to see a Bond actor who peaks with his first film again.

It's happened with the last two, and while we can blame the scripts, producers, directors etc. (both peaked with Campbell), some of it has to be put on the actors' shoulders as well.
    I've probably mentioned it before but I have an extreme dislike of the over-use of "shoot to explode" objects in modern Bond movies: propane tanks, fire extinguishers, air tanks, gas canisters. I'm betting we'll see Bond get out of a jam in Bond 25 using this very same trick again.... and again... and again. It's tired, lazy and repetitive.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    If possible, I don't want to see a Bond actor who peaks with his first film again.

It's happened with the last two, and while we can blame the scripts, producers, directors etc. (both peaked with Campbell), some of it has to be put on the actors' shoulders as well.

The general trend for Bond films is for them to fade throughout their tenure. By most accounts Connery's best films were his first three, and both Brosnan and Craig had their best films first (although IMO Craig has stayed more consistent than Brosnan aside from QoS). I would also say Dalton's best is TLD but he only made two.

This makes sense because each new Bond is sort of a reinvention of the character and a film series in and of itself in certain respects. Film series generally fade as they go along as they run out of new ideas. Bond resetting with a new actor every decade or so to keep up with the times is what has kept it fresh and given it its extreme longevity.

The exception to this is Moore, whose films varied wildly in quality from film to film. His best film (FYEO in my opinion) came near the end of his tenure, and he had duds at the beginning (TMWTGG) middle (MR) and end (AVTAK) of his time as Bond.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 5,990
    CountJohn wrote: »

The general trend for Bond films is for them to fade throughout their tenure. By most accounts Connery's best films were his first three, and both Brosnan and Craig had their best films first (although IMO Craig has stayed more consistent than Brosnan aside from QoS). I would also say Dalton's best is TLD but he only made two.

This makes sense because each new Bond is sort of a reinvention of the character and a film series in and of itself in certain respects. Film series generally fade as they go along as they run out of new ideas. Bond resetting with a new actor every decade or so to keep up with the times is what has kept it fresh and given it its extreme longevity.

The exception to this is Moore, whose films varied wildly in quality from film to film. His best film (FYEO in my opinion) came near the end of his tenure, and he had duds at the beginning (TMWTGG) middle (MR) and end (AVTAK) of his time as Bond.

Agreed. Generally speaking, each Bond's debut is handled very carefully, the second film is rushed to capitalize on the debut, and the third film is where he hits his peak.

It will be interesting to see if Craig (when he returns) can buck the trend of seriously diminishing returns (although Moore had some interesting late films). I still have high hopes for Craig and this era.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Moore and Connery didn't peak at the first. Neither did Dalton (at least imho).

My point was that the last two definitely and unreservedly did, and coincidentally both were directed by Campbell in their best outings.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
    I don't agree with this. Moores best performance is LALD. Connery is perfect in DN and Craig's best film and performance is CR. OHMSS is also classic and one of the best films in the series. GE is also Brosnan's best by far.
    One can argue that Moore was closest to Fleming in LALD, but I don't think DN or LALD were either Connery or Moore's best films. CR & GE are considered Craig and Brosnan's best by most.
    Connery's best film is FRWL. But performance wise I feel he is very close to Fleming in DN. LALD is my favourite Moore Bond film. But that's just my opinion. Most people regard TSWLM as his best. But I feel it is too 'comedy heavy'.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    edited February 2017 Posts: 1,187
    heineken.png

So tacky. You'd think Bond would pick up something local in Turkey or Tangiers, yet he goes for the Heineken? Yes I know it's product placement but it's completely out of character for Bond.