No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I agree that SPECTRE was a financial success, but there are degrees of success.

In the U.S., SPECTRE sold the fewest number of tickets of the Craig era (23 million), one movie after Skyfall sold the most (almost 38 million). The U.S. is only one market, of course, but it is a big one.
    This is what I've been saying as well. For a film that followed a massive success & essentially continued the story, it was a substantial drop off stateside, and one of the first Bond films to not build on its predecessor's success in some time.
    What do you mean by "in some time"? I thought QoS didn´t do as well as CR?

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yeah you are right, Boldfinger. And personally I think the whole "the U.S. drop is so significant" is not so significant.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I have a feeling Craig will convince Soderbergh to do the next one if he decides to come back.

EON doesn't hire American directors

That bs needs to change.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Cowley wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    The producers pretty much gave Mendes the world for Spectre. They did everything to get him back
    Well, lesson learned. They won't be pulling such an act for the next one.

Given the script problems they probably should have given Mendes and Craig full rein to make the Bond film they wanted. I can't imagine Mendes being much pleased with the script he had to work from.

I am sorry are we still blaming the scriptwriters?- Blame Mendes he had a bloody carte Blanche after SF and he and his responsibility cocked it up royally in my humble opinion.

+1 Mendes was fully involved in shaping the story and he shat the bed with his remit as a director and his obvious inability to communicate direction with Logan, which led to the disastrous scripting problems.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    boldfinger wrote: »

In the U.S., SPECTRE sold the fewest number of tickets of the Craig era (23 million), one movie after Skyfall sold the most (almost 38 million). The U.S. is only one market, of course, but it is a big one.
    This is what I've been saying as well. For a film that followed a massive success & essentially continued the story, it was a substantial drop off stateside, and one of the first Bond films to not build on its predecessor's success in some time.

if we are talking about just the US box office..

QOS grossed $168.3mil, and CR grossed $167.4 (unadjusted).... QOS might not have been a critical success over here, but it did (at the time) open to the largest opening weekend in US history for a Bond movie ($67mil) - and as previously shown, just barely outgrossed CR - where it fell short was at the foreign b.o., where it grossed almost $25mil less than CR...
  • RC7RC7
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    I still want to argue that Mendes' "next one" comment is more about Broccoli's decision-making in general and not that he has some sort of insider information on the casting of a Craig replacement. Why would he know that? He's been distancing himself from the franchise since premiere night.

This. Several pages of guff before anything resembling logic. I thought it was quite plain, but everyone seems to have worked themselves into a stupor.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It sounds to me as though he was referring to his personal experience/reaction with Craig being cast, and suggesting that as a template for how EON works.

Precisely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    HASEROT wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

if we are talking about just the US box office..

QOS grossed $168.3mil, and CR grossed $167.4 (unadjusted).... QOS might not have been a critical success over here, but it did (at the time) open to the largest opening weekend in US history for a Bond movie ($67mil) - and as previously shown, just barely outgrossed CR - where it fell short was at the foreign b.o., where it grossed almost $25mil less than CR...
    Exactly right. Thank you. We were indeed referring to US box office previously, and QoS was the top grossing Bond film of all time at that point (inflation unadjusted). The same cannot be said of SP, and as has already been mentioned, it even sold less tickets in the US than QoS did, even after following the biggest Bond film of all with a continuation story. Moreover, this is in a year when ticket sales and box office went through the roof in the US market, so people were actually going to see films. QoS came out during the middle of the US financial crisis, when many may have stayed at home.

One can make the argument that the US doesn't matter, or that Americans may have poor taste to defend SP if one wants, but facts are facts.
    Yeah you are right, Boldfinger. And personally I think the whole "the U.S. drop is so significant" is not so significant.
    It is (-35% before accounting for higher ticket prices in 2015 vs 2012 so it's even bigger) and there will be adjustments as a result. That much I'm sure of.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm glad the U.S didn't fall for the ridiculous hyperbole reviews of my country, this and Force Awakens got some ridiculously fawning reviews.

I can't believe that Kermode loved it so much especially considering his disdain for QOS.

Given time this is going to go down as the dog of the DC era for, QOS grows in stature all the time, especially in the light of the generic tick the box mess that is SPECTRE.

Mendes was clearly saying that about the next Bond because DC was leftfield casting, he understands that BB doesn't go for the obvious, PB was obvious and we got a by numbers portrayal that was safe as you can get and BB understands to keep the series alive it has to move on and the general publics views on this are irrelevant.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Things are moving so quickly now that 2018 isn't so impossible after all.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    @Shardlake I agree with a lot of what you said except that the public views are relevant when they don't sell any tickets.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I never doubted a 2018 release. Still don't.
    jake24 wrote: »

Think about it. After that brief period of confusion, there could be a new Bond film just over the horizon. Imagine that. I love following the production of a new Bond, so I knock off another 12 months for that. For me its only 18 months until the games begin. SO EXCITED!! :D
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Think about it. After that brief period of confusion, there could be a new Bond film just over the horizon. Imagine that. I love following the production of a new Bond, so I knock off another 12 months for that. For me its only 18 months until the games begin. SO EXCITED!! :D
    There's nothing like following a Bond production, especially when principal photography is imminent.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,969

There's nothing like following a Bond production, especially when principal photography is imminent.

Exactly. I find the 12 months before the release of a new Bond are as exciting as the film itself. That's not waiting for me, that's basking! I love the feeling of Bond hysteria slowly rising around me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Those 12 months are going to be a long wait for me. I've decided that once things really kick off and filming is set to commence, I'm steering clear from the production - as much as I can, anyway. I managed to wait until theaters before hearing the title song for both SF and SP, and now I want to wait until theaters to see/hear as much from this film for the very first time as I can. Want to avoid any BTS news, cut down on trailer re-watches, etc. I think the less I know going into this next one, the better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I'm quite certain the next Bond film is going to kick some serious 'a', whenever it comes out. I'm willing to speculate that it may even be a benchmark entry in the canon.

However, I too am going to try and stay away from production and clip news next time as much as I can. SP was spoiled for me in many ways, but then again we had the script leak problem last time out which was a one-off (hopefully).
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Those 12 months are going to be a long wait for me. I've decided that once things really kick off and filming is set to commence, I'm steering clear from the production - as much as I can, anyway. I managed to wait until theaters before hearing the title song for both SF and SP, and now I want to wait until theaters to see/hear as much from this film for the very first time as I can. Want to avoid any BTS news, cut down on trailer re-watches, etc. I think the less I know going into this next one, the better.

A whole years worth of free entertainment isn't worth missing out on for me! ;)
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I have a feeling Craig will convince Soderbergh to do the next one if he decides to come back.

That bs needs to change.

Completely agree
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,686
    If 'Jason Bourne' is going to be a new benchmark in terms of action/spy films, then I am sure EON will respond accordingly, just like CR in 2006 when Bourne was hot with the recent Identity and Supremacy.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That's my goal as well. I plan on staying off of these boards much earlier than I did for SP. Too much was leaked out.

Same. I say it every time, but I really need to make a point of doing so this time around. The less I know, the more I feel I may enjoy it. I tire of getting to finally see a new Bond film, and feeling like I know almost every beat of the movie already.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Getafix wrote: »

That bs needs to change.

Completely agree

Agreed. I think the screenwriter(s) should be British ...Bond needs that voice but good directors can come from anywhere.

I never doubted a 2018 release either.

Also, things aren't moving any faster now than they were a few days ago. Mendes had already said that he wasn't returning. The only thing new we have is Mendes speculating about the next Bond. I'm not sure how Mendes commenting on Barbara's process all of a sudden makes 2018 more possible than it was viewed to be a few days ago when some viewed 2018 as an impossibility.
    To meet a 2018 release date, then filming has to start late 2017/very start of 2018.

To do that, we need (in no particular order): a) a leading man b) a director c) script d) rest of cast e) a distributor/co-financier.

Can it be done? Sure. What's the pace like right now? I have no idea.
    //It is (-35% before accounting for higher ticket prices in 2015 vs 2012 so it's even bigger) and there will be adjustments as a result. That much I'm sure of.//

To be specific: Skyfall (U.S.-Canada) $304-plus million in 108 days of release, SPECTRE, $200 million in 154 days of release.

Number of tickets, almost 38 million for Skyfall, 23 million for SPECTRE.

All figures via Box Office Mojo.
    Craig is still Bond IMO. And with a Nov 2018 release he can still make it

Broadway, a movie, two seasons of a show, and 'Bond 25' in a little over two years? I wish I was as optimistic as you were.

Creasy47 wrote: »

Broadway, a movie, two seasons of a show, and 'Bond 25' in a little over two years? I wish I was as optimistic as you were.
    He just needs to be free for filming by January 2018 maybe even push it to February 2018 which can happen.

Plus didn't he film QOS & Defiance at the same time?
    If they start shooting by February 2018, then they're really starting to cut close, and I'm sure the last sort of Bond film Craig wants to shoot is one where they're pressed for time. I just don't see everything coming together on all fronts in time for him to get one out by 2018, if he were to even return.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 11,425
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »

That bs needs to change.

Completely agree

Agreed. I think the screenwriter(s) should be British ...Bond needs that voice but good directors can come from anywhere.

No, the screenwriter doesn't have to be British either IMO. Richard Maibaum wrote most of the screenplays upto and including LTK and probably provided the best dialogue in the entire series.

Purvis and Wade - two Brits - have been catastrophically awful.

I think the whole art of screenwriting is much stronger in the US and I would be more than happy for an American to write them. The issue of "getting" British dialogue is slightly exaggerated I think.

I like the fact that the films are made at Pinewood but that doesn't mean we need silly rules about who can and cannot work on them.