No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    bondjames wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i wonder if BB and MGW are playing the same hardball that Cubby did with Rog in the early 80s - when it was speculated that after Moonraker, or Octopussy (cant remember which one) that Roger was going to leave the role... so Cubby started screen testing actors, James Brolin was one of them.... eventually both sides worked out a deal and Rog ended up returning..
    Think this is the most likely scenario,
    Possibly, but the thing is, if that's so, I don't see it swaying Craig one bit.

I don't think so either. They rumor is they were high balling Craig anyway.

And Logan is not contracted for B25. That two part thing was abandoned.
    if Dan does in fact leave, and Hiddles is cast.... the only thing i ask for - and that i beg for... can we get an actor to stay for more than 4 films?... 5 would be nice - 6 would be fantastic... i want an actor in the role, willing to have some longevity (we know Pierce was more than happy to keep going, but thats ancient history now).. and as much as i love Craig, and wish/hope he does return for a 5th and final outing - it's looking more and more likely with each day that the sun is setting on the Craig era....... so whoever comes on board next, please be willing to stick around for more than 4 films.
    I agree. I'd prefer 5 minimum, and a return to the 2 year release schedule. If they get a new studio, perhaps that can happen, depending on how they run things and what talent they have behind the scenes. Churn out a few good scripts and get cracking..

I agree with others who say MGM is a potential problem here.

Yes, I seem to remember when DAD was in the works it was MGM calling for three year gaps.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    i wonder if BB and MGW are playing the same hardball that Cubby did with Rog in the early 80s - when it was speculated that after Moonraker, or Octopussy (cant remember which one) that Roger was going to leave the role... so Cubby started screen testing actors, James Brolin was one of them.... eventually both sides worked out a deal and Rog ended up returning..

The thing about the Octopussy one was that Moore wanted to leave right? He was 56 by then I think and it was the end of his contract as well. But then Sean signed on for NSNA and Cubby needed Rog back because he knew Brolin or a newcomer would not be able to compete?

Ah Octopussy. One of my favourites. I wish Craig were relaxed enough just to comeback and do another for a bit of fun.

Frankly I don't quite understand all this stuff about Bond taking it out of him. SP was hardly the most physical film. And theres no shame in using stuntmen and doubles for the fight scene. Do a more narrative driven and dramatic movie with just a few nice action set pieces and action scenes that doesn't completely exhaust him and why would doing another be such a problem?

I respect DC a lot but he does sometimes come over a bit too serious about everything.

It would be great if he recognised that the fans would love him to do at least one more and he just did it for them (and the money!).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2016 Posts: 12,459
    I agree with you, @Getafix. Though he doesn't need the money. I don't see him pushing for me, that being a reason.
    The Craig getting old & needing time to decide bit is getting old imo. I have respect for DC & am grateful for what he has given us in the 4 he has done, but he signed on for two more after SF. If you have the chance to do another why wouldnt you, EON wants him back, Its not all Craig but he is holding up the show to some degree.
  • tqbtqb
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    The Craig getting old & needing time to decide bit is getting old imo. I have respect for DC & am grateful for what he has given us in the 4 he has done, but he signed on for two more after SF. If you have the chance to do another why wouldnt you, EON wants him back, Its not all Craig but he is holding up the show to some degree.

I think part of it is MGM and Sony are splitting, so distribution is in limbo which could take a number of years to settle in worst case scenario.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    tqb wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »

I think part of it is MGM and Sony are splitting, so distribution is in limbo which could take a number of years to settle in worst case scenario.

finding a distributor / also a company willing to fork over 50% of the production budget takes time.... but i don't foresee it taking a number of years - even in a worst case scenario... now, if we are sitting here a year from now and still no new (or old) partner has been found - then we have problems lol. ..... but i think we'll know something by the end of this year at the latest.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Michael said MGM was choosing between 3 potential distributors. EON is ready to go as for as they are concerned, It's MGM holding up the line. They need to just pick one and let EON continue on with their jobs. It's not EON's or Daniel's fault.
    I have no problem with EON; I do not know why some people seem to easily deride them.
    I have no problem with EON; I do not know why some people seem to easily deride them.

Someone's always gotta have someone to blame sadly.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    if Dan does in fact leave, and Hiddles is cast.... the only thing i ask for - and that i beg for... can we get an actor to stay for more than 4 films?... 5 would be nice - 6 would be fantastic... i want an actor in the role, willing to have some longevity (we know Pierce was more than happy to keep going, but thats ancient history now).. and as much as i love Craig, and wish/hope he does return for a 5th and final outing - it's looking more and more likely with each day that the sun is setting on the Craig era....... so whoever comes on board next, please be willing to stick around for more than 4 films.
    I agree. I'd prefer 5 minimum, and a return to the 2 year release schedule. If they get a new studio, perhaps that can happen, depending on how they run things and what talent they have behind the scenes. Churn out a few good scripts and get cracking..

I agree with others who say MGM is a potential problem here.

i only see MGM as a potential problem, if they are the ones holding up the works because of cost to make these films.... but i truly think the ball is in EON's court when it comes to how long they take - as i remember the owner of MGM making a statement that "they" (EON) are on a 3-4 year cycle, and the way it was worded, was as if it was EON's decision, not MGM's...... from MGM's standpoint, i would imagine they'd welcome a 2 year cycle again - even if it means spending money, these films always turn a profit..
    I get that we will discuss their decisions and may disagree with how things are run at times, but overall I think they do a great job, thru all these years, giving us Bond films.

And whoever it was who was so disparaging about Barbara (one was Gideon, but maybe there is someone else, too), you can criticize her of course but don't be sexist about it. That is totally unacceptable, not even you're trying to be amusing about it. No.
    I get that we will discuss their decisions and may disagree with how things are run at times, but overall I think they do a great job, thru all these years, giving us Bond films.

And whoever it was who was so disparaging about Barbara (one was Gideon, but maybe there is someone else, too), you can criticize her of course but don't be sexist about it. That is totally unacceptable, not even you're trying to be amusing about it. No.

making movies is a tough - trust me i know... it's hard just making my little 48 hour films and other projects i've worked on over the years, and thats on an extremely small no budget scale..... i can't imagine the amount of pressure BB and MGW must be under each time they have to go through the rigors of making one of these things.... it seems like (to some) a cushy job where all you do is sit in an office, go over scripts, hang around on set, walk a red carpet, do some interviews, and then it's all over, time to do it again in another year or two.... but it's not - if those Sony leaks showed us anything, is that it gave us just a glimpse at how much of a pain in the ass it can be, even for a James Bond movie, to get made...

we often times, as fans, tend to focus on and magnify the negatives so much that we almost always overlook all the positive decisions they've made.... I am not saying that they should be above criticism, no one should be - but i feel like they also need to be given their due credit - and let's also try to keep one thing in mind - and that is, they aren't out there deliberately looking to do something wrong, or to make a bad film, or bad casting decision - they are doing the best they can to deliver the best possible film they can, FOR US... sometimes they come up short, sometimes they hit it out of the park - such is life in any line of work - you're not going to win them all.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Murdock wrote: »

Because ummm they produce the movies??? ..Ok not blaming for the distribution but surely you have enough opinion to know not everything they produce is not top notch??_

Just because we're fans doesn't mean we have to worship them.

We are fans. Why not voice our concerns??

@Murdock you gripe about Newman all the time. Well he just didn't show up. EoN hired him.

I'm being condescending because y'all are being condescending.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Criticizing is fine, but deriding and harping on them a lot I don't get. Just reading various threads, it simply occurred to me that people really are too hard on them in my opinion, in general. That's all.
    Criticizing is fine, but deriding and harping on them a lot I don't get.

No one is doing that. Voicing frustration.
    Not condescending; where are you getting that from? Geez.
    From y'all griping about others frustration as if it's a blasphemy to voice a concern. That's where.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I haven't seen the Night Manager, but Hiddleston looks terrific in High Rise. First half is very Bondian.

If he bulked up, I think he'd be good.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Because ummm they produce the movies??? ..Ok not blaming for the distribution but surely you have enough opinion to know not everything they produce is not top notch??_

@Murdock you gripe about Newman all the time. Well he just didn't show up. EoN hired him.

I'm not worshiping them. They've made choices I didn't like, but Spectre as a whole was great. EON only hired Newman because Mendes is his best friend and HAD to have him. It's not EON's fault he was forced on them. At least I solved my gripes with Newman my own way. ;)

Oh heck in no way was I saying anything extreme like it was blasphemy. #-o
    You are stretching my intent a whole lot. Good criticism is important. It feels like some people jump on them too quickly or harshly at times, though.

I'm not worshiping them. They've made choices I didn't like, but Spectre as a whole was great. EON only hired Newman because Mendes is his best friend and HAD to have him. It's not EON's fault he was forced on them. At least I solved my gripes with Newman my own way. ;)

If they don't like Newman that's a management problem.

I just don't get what I'm saying is such a travesty. All I did was question Bell and question Hiddleston ...heck most of the forum questioned Bell including some lifelong fans that simply rather just give up and walk away.

EoN have made Bond films forever which could be just as good or a bad thing if they're burnt out too. You know they have to get antsy too.

I'm just surprised at the reaction to truly some innocuous comments made on here that aren't that totally different from most opinions.

Ok maybe the Martian plot deserved excessive ridicule but not avid lifelong fans like myself whom want to see Bond continue.
    No travesty was implied. I wasn't picking on you; please chill, @mcdonbb. Neither was Murdock. My comment was a general statement about comments that pop up overall regarding EON, on plenty of threads.

I don't want Hiddleston or Bell at all. That doesn't mean I'm angry or upset with EON, though.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 16,330

If they don't like Newman that's a management problem.

I just don't get what I'm saying is such a travesty. All I did was question Bell and question Hiddleston ...heck most of the forum questioned Bell including some lifelong fans that simply rather just give up and walk away.

EoN have made Bond films forever which could be just as good or a bad thing if they're burnt out too. You know they have to get antsy too.

I'm just surprised at the reaction to truly some innocuous comments made on here that aren't that totally different from most opinions.

Ok maybe the Martian plot deserved excessive ridicule but not avid lifelong fans like myself whom want to see Bond continue.

What are you on about? I'm not even attacking you. My dislike for Newman doesn't ruin the films he worked on for me. I'm speaking for myself on that front. EON's been doing just fine for me, A hiccup here and there but nothing to make me turn on them with fire and pitchforks. Perhaps I'm easy too please. My love of Bond is very strong. I'm always enthusiastic about the movies. Heck ones I've disliked recently have been getting better with more viewings. I haven't had a bad thing to say about the films during my re watch. They are just so darn fun and take me to a new world. I wasn't even talking about your opinions or The Martian plot. Sure I called you out when you made a presumption on What Barbara doesn't think Bond fans want and rightly so but you corrected yourself with "I think" afterwards so it's a done deal. For me, Bond is going strong and will keep going on strong for many decades to come.
    Another day, another Bond rumour. Now Hiddleston is in ADVANCED talks. I really don't know what to believe now. EON have bee frustratingly quiet. They've not issued a single official statement over casting, distribution rights or even a release date for Bond 25. Could be that they'll make a BIG announcement later in the year where they introduce the new Bond (or drag Craig kicking, screaming and swearing back to the role) & announce the new distributor at the same time. But one thing I do know is that reading all these rumors is exhausting.
    the trouble with listening to fans - is that we all scream for something different... i wouldn't mind Hiddleston as Bond, others believe it to be the worst possible choice imaginable... i love David Arnold, others despise him.... so who do they listen to??

really, the only ones they should truly listen to at the end of the day is themselves.... Not saying they should outright ignore fans - it is important to get a gauge where the majority of fans (but more importantly the general public) are at in terms of wants/needs from the franchise..... but at the end of the day, they are the ones who have to make the decisions
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Roll on some news to stop the endless guesswork.
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Another day, another Bond rumour. Now Hiddleston is in ADVANCED talks. I really don't know what to believe now. EON have bee frustratingly quiet. They've not issued a single official statement over casting, distribution rights or even a release date for Bond 25. Could be that they'll make a BIG announcement later in the year where they introduce the new Bond (or drag Craig kicking, screaming and swearing back to the role) & announce the new distributor at the same time. But one thing I do know is that reading all these rumors is exhausting.

i believe that we'll get an answer on who is playing Bond and who the distributor will be before the end of the year - as well as possibly a director.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,601

i agree.. Dan seems like the type that if he has his mind made up, then he sticks to it - a stubborn fellow (like myself lol).... but, if he truly is waffling on the thought of returning or not - then EON taking preliminary measures to find possibly find his replacement, i think, will expedite his decision - it may not come for another month, or two, or three, or four... but it will be made before year's end for sure....... bottom line, all i think EON wants is to reopen the channels of communication between them and Craig.. he's been kind of keeping quiet for a while now, and again, this could be a subtle way of letting Craig know "hey, we want to hear from you - what are you feeling? it doesn't have to be a yes or no right now, but we would like to see where you are at, right now, about 2018.".....

thats what i take out of all of this..

I disagree - like its said, their relationsship is beyond that and DC is not one to play games. They know each other by now and playing games is NOT needed. IF he hasn't made up his mind, he needs no pushing of this sort to be the collaborator, he has prooved to be. He won't linger over it longer then it is healthy. He knows, they need to go on and will make up his in in time - without being forced. IMO, his decision is done anyway, which puts me in the nice position to just sit back and be relaxed about it all ;) Nice after all the emotional turmoil B-)