No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think it is safe to assume that DC has departed the role. All the signs are there, and it's only a matter of time before it's officially announced IMO.

Yes, an announcement is but a formality at this point.
    Had this site and the Internet existed in the 1980's

1980 deadline reports Lewis Collins is seen talking to the producers
    Fan reaction well see Roger Moore is done I can't believe Moonraker is his last film
    1982 deadline reports James Brolin is close to being cast as 007
    Fan reaction: have the producers gone mental after the brilliant for your eyes only they are gonna have an American be bond are you kidding me
    1984 deadline reports the producers are talking to Sam Neil
    Fan reaction see Moore is finally done!

Let's all relax before we start counting chickens and eggs
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    This is possibly the worst news for me. Hiddleston is too effeminate and fey for the masculine and rugged Bond.

Me too. I have no idea what anyone sees in this mincing, twee twerp. Where's the machismo, the brute, the animal factor? Is this really a serious contender for the ultimate British cultural icon of masculinity? Be realistic, if this was 20 years ago, people would say he looks like a poof. Is any "Hiddles" (cringe) fan honest enough to admit he would be the least masculine actor to portray Bond?

However, I find it hard to believe they're talking to just one person about it. When have they ever done that? If they do get to the screen testing phase, I expect there will be several actors in the mix.

Did you watch The Night Manager? Hiddleston proved himself to me there that he could be the next Bond.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 709
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Had this site and the Internet existed in the 1980's

1980 deadline reports Lewis Collins is seen talking to the producers
    Fan reaction well see Roger Moore is done I can't believe Moonraker is his last film
    1982 deadline reports James Brolin is close to being cast as 007
    Fan reaction: have the producers gone mental after the brilliant for your eyes only they are gonna have an American be bond are you kidding me
    1984 deadline reports the producers are talking to Sam Neil
    Fan reaction see Moore is finally done!

Let's all relax before we start counting chickens and eggs

:-bd

Wise words. We're all "bungling in the dark" here. And just to re-quote from yesterday's deadline article:

"There have been no negotiations on where the Bond movie will land (Sony or Warner Bros. are out front on this) and although it was thought that negotiations might start after the first quarter 2016, parties are not likely to engage in negotiations until later this year. There is no workable script yet and the creative elements have yet to come into place."

So, realistically, there's no script, no distributor, no director (Mendes said he wasn't coming back) but we're at the "negotiations" stage with actors? Something doesn't add up. This would be the exact opposite of CR, where Martin Campbell and Sony were on board first before any actors were sought out. And what do we think of any actor who would sign up to Bond without seeing a script? What if the product ends up looking like DAD? To me it suggests someone who's in it for the "birds and the bread".

Perhaps they're gauging actor's interests so they can go to studios with a list of potential Bonds. Certain studios have good relationships with certain actors. Or perhaps tomorrow there'll be an announcement that Daniel Craig has signed a three film deal.
    Did you watch The Night Manager? Hiddleston proved himself to me there that he could be the next Bond.

There's a difference between playing in the superbowl/FA Cup final and a Thursday night second division match.
    Like I said while I would love tom Hiddleston to be the next bond (even if he did have to pick up the plot threads from Craig's tenure rather then start fresh) I just don't think we should believe or disbelieve anything at this point if they were talking script writers then by all means I would buy it too but actors right now... With no proof other then some source?

Again not saying I don't want this to happen heck after the night manager I would love for Hiddleston to be 007 but I am not jumping to conclusions until we get confirmation
  • Personnaly I think EON are seeing other actors in the "event" that DC decides he doesn't want to return. They probably have given DC a date and if he hasn't decided by then or decides to retire from the role then they go with PLAN B. Hire another actor to play BOND. DC is probably waiting to read an outline of the story before making a decision. I hope he stays on for at least 1 more.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2016 Posts: 12,459
    @Marketto007, where are you? I need your input.

Basically, I quite dislike Hiddleston (and actually find him unattractive) and not crazy about Fassbinder, but he would be okay. It is still unofficial, so I refuse to get work up yet.
    There's still nothing new here, we already knew that Hiddleston had probably met with them.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    There's still nothing new here, we already knew that Hiddleston had probably met with them.

Exactly.

• dinovelvet wrote: »
    [
    So, realistically, there's no script, no distributor, no director (Mendes said he wasn't coming back) but we're at the "negotiations" stage with actors? Something doesn't add up. This would be the exact opposite of CR, where Martin Campbell and Sony were on board first before any actors were sought out. And what do we think of any actor who would sign up to Bond without seeing a script? What if the product ends up looking like DAD? To me it suggests someone who's in it for the "birds and the bread.

Isn't Logan signed on to write Bond 25? So even if there isn't a direct script there seems to be something there - although I'd assume that was written with Craig in mind? Sounds like Pierce/GE all over again.

As for your last point, I'd think an actor - especially with Tom's caliber, would sign so that HE has some creative control in terms of writing the story, tone, etc. Chadewick Boseman and many Marvel actors signed on without a script or director in place and they did fine too.
    [
    So, realistically, there's no script, no distributor, no director (Mendes said he wasn't coming back) but we're at the "negotiations" stage with actors? Something doesn't add up. This would be the exact opposite of CR, where Martin Campbell and Sony were on board first before any actors were sought out. And what do we think of any actor who would sign up to Bond without seeing a script? What if the product ends up looking like DAD? To me it suggests someone who's in it for the "birds and the bread.

Isn't Logan signed on to write Bond 25? So even if there isn't a direct script there seems to be something there - although I'd assume that was written with Craig in mind? Sounds like Pierce/GE all over again.

Well here's the thing - wouldn't a fifth Craig film be completely different from a new actor's first film? There's a continuing story there that would involve Blofeld, Spectre, Madeleine Swann etc. Are they just going to carry on, just inserting Piddles/Turner/Bell etc as Bond as if nothing's happened and he's going to be fighting Christoph Waltz? That would be extremely jarring.
    As for your last point, I'd think an actor - especially with Tom's caliber, would sign so that HE has some creative control in terms of writing the story, tone, etc. Chadewick Boseman and many Marvel actors signed on without a script or director in place and they did fine too.

I imagine with Marvel its a lot easier because they know which comic book storylines they're going to be basing the films on, and they have thousands of back issues worth of ideas, I mean they had locked in the Avengers Infinity War idea five years before the movie is due out. Marvel also doesn't seem to place too much value on strong directors - most of their hires lately have been TV level people, who, sure, have done well, but I don't want that kind of aesthetic on Bond. I mean they shot in Atlanta pretending it was Africa. That's not the Bond way.

• DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Getafix wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Why can't he pick up Craig's "mission"? It's still the same character, so it's possible.

Precisely. It's not like Bond becomes a different character whenever a new actor takes on the role. It is still Ian Fleming's 007, dammit.

Yes but will audiences see it the same way? Especially in the era of hard reboots

Still no news about Bond 25.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,399

NO!.... Logan is not returning, and neither (at the moment) are Purvis and Wade... the only person's name i heard attached to the writing for Bond 25 so far, was Mad Men show creator Matthew Weiner - he's been tasked with coming up with story treatments, which will then be handed off to a new writer(s) to actually pen the script.
  • RC7RC7
    This is possibly the worst news for me. Hiddleston is too effeminate and fey for the masculine and rugged Bond.

Me too. I have no idea what anyone sees in this mincing, twee twerp. Where's the machismo, the brute, the animal factor? Is this really a serious contender for the ultimate British cultural icon of masculinity? Be realistic, if this was 20 years ago, people would say he looks like a poof. Is any "Hiddles" (cringe) fan honest enough to admit he would be the least masculine actor to portray Bond?

However, I find it hard to believe they're talking to just one person about it. When have they ever done that? If they do get to the screen testing phase, I expect there will be several actors in the mix.

The words of a closet homosexual.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i wonder if BB and MGW are playing the same hardball that Cubby did with Rog in the early 80s - when it was speculated that after Moonraker, or Octopussy (cant remember which one) that Roger was going to leave the role... so Cubby started screen testing actors, James Brolin was one of them.... eventually both sides worked out a deal and Rog ended up returning..

i wonder if letting this news about Hiddleston meeting with BB "leak out", if this is EON's subtle (or not so subtle) way of sending an ultimatum to Craig - that either they get together and start trying to work something out, or else they are prepared to move on........... i mean, their working relationship has been really good, so i can't imagine it being a nasty or hostile ultimatum - but at the same time, they are going to have to start getting the ball rolling on this thing soon if they are indeed sticking to their original 2018 release date - so i am sure they'd like an answer sooner rather than later....... personally, i don't feel we'll go into 2017 without knowing if Craig is coming back, or if they're are getting a new actor - i think a decision will be made, and wont play out until the last minute.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    i wonder if BB and MGW are playing the same hardball that Cubby did with Rog in the early 80s - when it was speculated that after Moonraker, or Octopussy (cant remember which one) that Roger was going to leave the role... so Cubby started screen testing actors, James Brolin was one of them.... eventually both sides worked out a deal and Rog ended up returning..
    Think this is the most likely scenario,
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Possibly, but the thing is, if that's so, I don't see it swaying Craig one bit.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,588

NO!.... Logan is not returning, and neither (at the moment) are Purvis and Wade... the only person's name i heard attached to the writing for Bond 25 so far, was Mad Men show creator Matthew Weiner - he's been tasked with coming up with story treatments, which will then be handed off to a new writer(s) to actually pen the script.

The Matthew Weiner thing was just a rumor, about the series venturing back to the 60s. He would be an interesting choice to helm the script.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    bondjames wrote: »

Craig does come across as single minded, if I were the producers I would have backed of for a period of time to give Craig time off from the in and outs of Bond and let him recharge. In the meantime have a back up just in case he does not come back, it's all speculation I hope Craig returns, we really don't know for sure what deals have been discussed.

The Matthew Weiner thing was just a rumor, about the series venturing back to the 60s. He would be an interesting choice to helm the script.

not from what i remember reading - the rumors of a return to the 60s didn't start until after Weiner's name came up (because of his work with Mad Men) - but the rumor about the returning to that time period was squashed.. but Weiner working on a treatment was not.
    I'd love Weiner to be involved. That man knows how to tell a tight story. Mad Men had excellent character work, consistently over 7 seasons. Brilliant show.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 709
    RC7 wrote: »

The words of a closet homosexual.

Hey now, I may masturbate to pictures of Roger Moore, but that doesn't make me...oh, whoops. Carry on.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

not from what i remember reading - the rumors of a return to the 60s didn't start until after Weiner's name came up (because of his work with Mad Men) - but the rumor about the returning to that time period was squashed.. but Weiner working on a treatment was not.
    My memory is fuzzy on that, but you could be right.

oh, i never said it would lol. just drawing the parallel lines..

i agree.. Dan seems like the type that if he has his mind made up, then he sticks to it - a stubborn fellow (like myself lol).... but, if he truly is waffling on the thought of returning or not - then EON taking preliminary measures to find possibly find his replacement, i think, will expedite his decision - it may not come for another month, or two, or three, or four... but it will be made before year's end for sure....... bottom line, all i think EON wants is to reopen the channels of communication between them and Craig.. he's been kind of keeping quiet for a while now, and again, this could be a subtle way of letting Craig know "hey, we want to hear from you - what are you feeling? it doesn't have to be a yes or no right now, but we would like to see where you are at, right now, about 2018.".....

thats what i take out of all of this..

i agree.. Dan seems like the type that if he has his mind made up, then he sticks to it - a stubborn fellow (like myself lol).... but, if he truly is waffling on the thought of returning or not - then EON taking preliminary measures to find possibly find his replacement, i think, will expedite his decision - it may not come for another month, or two, or three, or four... but it will be made before year's end for sure....... bottom line, all i think EON wants is to reopen the channels of communication between them and Craig.. he's been kind of keeping quiet for a while now, and again, this could be a subtle way of letting Craig know "hey, we want to hear from you - what are you feeling? it doesn't have to be a yes or no right now, but we would like to see where you are at, right now, about 2018.".....

i can agree with a 2018 release, but can't we just wait until Bond 25 is announced?

My memory is fuzzy on that, but you could be right.

i just did a little digging, just to be sure - and you're right.... Weiner even was quoted as saying that he is working on several projects, but Bond isn't one of them...

drats... i was interested in seeing what he could've come up with...

oh well...... still, at least we know John Logan isn't coming back, thats a plus. lol.

i can agree with a 2018 release, but can't we just wait until Bond 25 is announced?

2018 is the preliminary year they've (MGM) targeted for release of the next film - that doesn't mean that it will be the case, for all we know, it could be pushed back to 2019....... but right now, since SF, they've been doing these things every 3 years.. so thats what i (and many others) are sticking to until we hear otherwise..
    if Dan does in fact leave, and Hiddles is cast.... the only thing i ask for - and that i beg for... can we get an actor to stay for more than 4 films?... 5 would be nice - 6 would be fantastic... i want an actor in the role, willing to have some longevity (we know Pierce was more than happy to keep going, but thats ancient history now).. and as much as i love Craig, and wish/hope he does return for a 5th and final outing - it's looking more and more likely with each day that the sun is setting on the Craig era....... so whoever comes on board next, please be willing to stick around for more than 4 films.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    if Dan does in fact leave, and Hiddles is cast.... the only thing i ask for - and that i beg for... can we get an actor to stay for more than 4 films?... 5 would be nice - 6 would be fantastic... i want an actor in the role, willing to have some longevity (we know Pierce was more than happy to keep going, but thats ancient history now).. and as much as i love Craig, and wish/hope he does return for a 5th and final outing - it's looking more and more likely with each day that the sun is setting on the Craig era....... so whoever comes on board next, please be willing to stick around for more than 4 films.
    I agree. I'd prefer 5 minimum, and a return to the 2 year release schedule. If they get a new studio, perhaps that can happen, depending on how they run things and what talent they have behind the scenes. Churn out a few good scripts and get cracking..

I agree with others who say MGM is a potential problem here.

2018 is the preliminary year they've (MGM) targeted for release of the next film - that doesn't mean that it will be the case, for all we know, it could be pushed back to 2019....... but right now, since SF, they've been doing these things every 3 years.. so thats what i (and many others) are sticking to until we hear otherwise..

Keep me in touch if the news happen