No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    Their creative team is not quite as good as I'd like it to be. Let's put it that way. They've had business problems yes, mainly on account of MGM, but they can do a much better job creatively as well.

SW -TFA may have taken a while to come together, but they are getting a move on now with Rogue One and several other products as well as the Marvel entities. We may not like what they give us, but in terms of bang for the buck as a fan, it's impressive.

As I said, QoS - delivered in 2 yrs flat, even with a writer's strike.

It can be done, if they want to do it.

I agree. I think the value gained from the extra year is largely negated by the tendency to overthink things.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 13,894
    RC7 wrote: »
    In my experience its the ones downplaying it, or acting like its free publicity that have the agenda. Understanding what he meant isn't the media's job. Reporting what he said is.

Understanding what he said is the responsibility of the individual, but a lot of people blindly take media drivel at face value.

But if he had worded his answer differently, that storm in a tea cup wouldn't have been blown out of proportion. How hard would it have been for him to say something like "Right now, i'm not thinking about the next Bond film. I'm going to take some time off, then we'll see."
    I tend to agree. He is a highly paid professional, who is the face of one of the most recognizable and famous franchises in the history of movies. He should have known better and he should have been trained to communicate better. It's part of the whole job of being Bond.

That's also why I said Hiddle will have to stop dancing in public if he becomes Bond. Not because he shouldn't dance (it's his business), but because it will be used against the franchise.

I almost get the impression DC did that intentionally, to sort of put the nail in the coffin. It may have been subconscious.

Whether we like it or not, it has been damaging for his Bond tenure more than it has for Bond. If I was EON's marketing dept, I would say he has to go, in order to move forward and reignite energy in the franchise, and remove that misquote from being used whenever Bond is discussed.

I am not a fan of Craig (as Bond or an actor) by any measure, but that's a bit much. If he really wanted out, all he needed to do was sit tight, keep his mouth shut (unless he can answer a question sensibly), let the dust settle from Spectre then announce his departure.

With all the rumours flying around, I would have expected EON to say something, even it it is just them supporting Craig, and shooting down the rumours.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In my experience its the ones downplaying it, or acting like its free publicity that have the agenda. Understanding what he meant isn't the media's job. Reporting what he said is.

Understanding what he said is the responsibility of the individual, but a lot of people blindly take media drivel at face value.

But if he had worded his answer differently, that storm in a tea cup wouldn't have been blown out of proportion. How hard would it have been for him to say something like "Right now, i'm not thinking about the next Bond film. I'm going to take some time off, then we'll see."
    I tend to agree. He is a highly paid professional, who is the face of one of the most recognizable and famous franchises in the history of movies. He should have known better and he should have been trained to communicate better. It's part of the whole job of being Bond.

That's also why I said Hiddle will have to stop dancing in public if he becomes Bond. Not because he shouldn't dance (it's his business), but because it will be used against the franchise.

I almost get the impression DC did that intentionally, to sort of put the nail in the coffin. It may have been subconscious.

Whether we like it or not, it has been damaging for his Bond tenure more than it has for Bond. If I was EON's marketing dept, I would say he has to go, in order to move forward and reignite energy in the franchise, and remove that misquote from being used whenever Bond is discussed.

I am not a fan of Craig (as Bond or an actor) by any measure, but that's a bit much. If he really wanted out, all he needed to do was sit tight, keep his mouth shut (unless he can answer a question sensibly), let the dust settle from Spectre then announce his departure.

With all the rumours flying around, I would have expected EON to say something, even it it is just them supporting Craig, and shooting down the rumours.
    That's if he was thinking rationally. His comments reflected his mood at the time the question was asked. Hence my point that it might have been subconscious.

Combine that with other comments he has made up to that point in the past over the years (strangely none like that since that quote if you'll notice), and it suggests to me that he's pretty much had enough.
    Well, they never interfered, starting with CR and from then on. Like DC is not getting into a discussion during CR or else, neither do they. They know, whatever they say, people will twist it to their/his disadvantage. Its always best to sit through it and not bother to get involved and go on with whatever you think is right.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    100 pages in two months with hardly any news. Impressive.
  • RC7RC7

That's Craig, though. That's always been Craig. I'd take that over a media trained plank any day. Funny, because there's a lot of clamour for a Bond that's un-PC and says f*** you to the system, yet when Craig doesn't play ball with the media and is flippant and abrasive it's a different story from some of those who want him gone.

That's Craig, though. That's always been Craig. I'd take that over a media trained plank any day. Funny, because there's a lot of clamour for a Bond that's un-PC and says f*** you to the system, yet when Craig doesn't play ball with the media and is flippant and abrasive it's a different story from some of those who want him gone.

Being unPC and being abrasive aren't quite the same thing, nice false equivilance though. These attempts at obfuscation are very entertaining.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Well, they never interfered, starting with CR and from then on. Like DC is not getting into a discussion during CR or else, neither do they. They know, whatever they say, people will twist it to their/his disadvantage. Its always best to sit through it and not bother to get involved and go on with whatever you think is right.

Pretty much it. The whining entitled school children want news and half will continue to whine when it arrives. It's a no win. EON should take as much time as they need.

Being unPC and being abrasive aren't quite the same thing, nice false equivilance though. These attempts at obfuscation are very entertaining.

I didn't say they were the same thing. But you know that.

Funny, because there's a lot of clamour for a Bond that's un-PC and says f*** you to the system, yet when Craig doesn't play ball with the media and is flippant and abrasive it's a different story from some of those who want him gone.

You're clearly comparing the two like-for-like here. If you aren't then its a non sequitur.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,601

True, but then, he has a tendency to bring himself into trouble. Guess, you could say, that's his personal edge, that plays off so well as Bond, but isn't for everyone, when he is not. He often stuck his finger in the wounds of stupid questions and, of course, they will pay him back on every occasion possible. IMO, it did hurt his reputation and that is sad, but thankfully I see him as someone, who just moves on and doesn't loose any sleep over it. Maybe with the help of a drink or two at times ;)
    He always knew, he was on loose ground with all the love and adoration coming from folks like me and others :x He knew, all that could be taken away in a nano second and never courted it at all. So, I guess, he can live well without it in the future.

As for the franchise - timer wil pass and he will be seen for what he was - as a man, who gave Bond back soul and edge, ruthlessness and a body to drool over as well as total dedication to the role, to the point, where Sam Mendes said - "almost too much"

I think, his legacy is save and sound.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2016 Posts: 10,512

Funny, because there's a lot of clamour for a Bond that's un-PC and says f*** you to the system, yet when Craig doesn't play ball with the media and is flippant and abrasive it's a different story from some of those who want him gone.

You're clearly comparing the two like-for-like here. If you aren't then its a non sequitur.

Craig's wrist comments were considered by some to be un-PC and particularly offensive to the relatives of suicide victims. Personally, I think that's nonsense, but then where would we be without the media circus of outrage.
    As for the franchise - timer wil pass and he will be seen for what he was - as a man, who gave Bond back soul and edge, ruthlessness and a body to drool over as well as total dedication to the role, to the point, where Sam Mendes said - "almost too much"
    This is a beautiful epitaph @Germanlady, coming from a true fan. Much as I engage in this ongoing discussion/speculation for the fun of it, Craig is still Bond, until he officially hangs it up, so this might be a little premature, I'm sure you'll be reassured to hear.
    This is a beautiful epitaph @Germanlady, coming from a true fan. Much as I engage in this ongoing discussion/speculation for the fun of it, Craig is still Bond, until he officially hangs it up, so this might be a little premature, I'm sure you'll be reassured to hear.

You might be surprised, but I have said quite often now, that I DON'T want him to return for reason mentioned already. In my mind, he is gone. ;)
  • RC7RC7

I agree. He'll leave a revered legacy.

Craig's wrist comments were considered by some to be un-PC and particularly offensive to the relatives of suicide victims. Personally, I think that's nonsense, but then where would we be without the media circus of outrage.

Right, I see what you mean. Personally I never saw that side of it.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Something that came up during the thread was the Daily Mail's accuracy in stories not reported by Baz Bamigboye.

Their biggest non-Baz scoop was done by the Mail on Sunday in November 2014, which detailed the whole Blofeld-Oberhauser thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2845621/You-weren-t-expecting-007-BLOFELD-S-Bond-having-kittens-evil-foe-returns-double-Oscar-winner-Christoph-Waltz-tipped-play-him.html

Excerpt:

//Waltz’s involvement in the new film – which has the working title ‘Bond 24’ – will be confirmed at a press conference to be held in the first week of December. Eon productions, which owns the James Bond film franchise, will announce the star is playing an unknown character called Franz Oberhauser, son of the late Hans Oberhauser, a ski instructor who acted as a father figure to Bond.

But senior sources believe the casting is a double bluff worthy of 007 himself and that Waltz is actually playing Blofeld. One Hollywood source, who asked not to be named, said: ‘Christoph Waltz is playing Blofeld in the next Bond film. The tone of the 007 films has changed significantly in recent years and the producers have changed the character to fit in with the new-look 007.’//

Having said that, the bulk of the Mail's 007 scoops were generated by Bamigboye until he moved off the Bond beat. His successors have yet to produce the volume of accurate scoops Bamigboye did.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Never have I seen such a big grin from DC.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Bit of a difference though, one is a fictional character, the other isn't. And as the face of the series, the actor should conduct themselves in a certain way, no matter who the actor is (I would have though that given how much of a well oiled machine the films are, EON would coach the actor about how to handle).

Bit of a difference though, one is a fictional character, the other isn't. And as the face of the series, the actor should conduct themselves in a certain way, no matter who the actor is (I would have though that given how much of a well oiled machine the films are, EON would coach the actor about how to handle).

In the end, they all bring themselves to the table and nobody is perfect. He got through 4 waves of interviews and did them well and willingly. But we should take into account, that he has no jazz hands like some and isn't one to overdo the pleased face, when indeed he is not. He has brought MORE then his share to the films as such and should be granted a mistake or two with the interviews.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For those still ignorant of this, Craig did further explicate his "wrist slashing" comment in the context of SP and his possible future work in Bond, shortly after he made the comment. He used Mendes' response to it (that he made at a film screening I believe, when he was asked about Dan's words) to explain to everyone quite clearly what he meant, by saying something along the lines of, "when you've just run a marathon, the last thing you want to be asked when you're crossing the finish line is, 'd'you want to run another?'" How his comments can still be taken out of context is down to the media that report it, and yes, it is very much the media's job to examine and report things as objectively as possible, as lost an art as that has become more and more over the decades. People eat up news and don't think to question its accuracy at salient times (as we've seen on this forum before), so if the media wants to unplug their brains and follow the same tactics, then we're all well and truly screwed, aren't we? It falls on media outlets and consumers of media to use their heads once in a while for things other than hitting them against walls.

I for one am glad Dan is so open about his views, and never sugar coats anything just to sound sun shiny; it's one of my absolute favorite things about him. Some say that this aspect of his personality reflects badly on the franchise, but more than anything, him and his role as Bond has been taking it all, not EON or the films, as if he's now suddenly Atlas in a finely cut tuxedo. I refuse to put all blame at his feet when it's others who've lost the plot, and have taken all his comments at face value instead of looking deeper (it's called subtext), though they know it's Dan and should realize at this point that silly comments like that are par for the course with him and he always jerks around interviewers who ask mindless questions over and over again. As I would, and many others. After a while, you get sick of stupidity and dare to expect more thought and ingenuity. For all the questions asked at press junkets, a glimmering 1% have actual substance or interest attached to them. It's completely understandable why Dan is driven to the responses he sometimes gives.

Dan's reactions to the media frenzy are simply ones that I respect. He doesn't care, has never cared, and dammit, why should he? Rags will report anything to get the presses rolling, no matter what he does, so why would he waste time and energy fussing over that which he can't control? Comments get made, then taken out of context, or completely redacted and reformed into an agenda that can be pushed, so why bother with it all? Dan is keeping his nose to the grindstone, focusing on his family and other work as he mulls over what to do next in regards to Bond. How people can fault him for that at this point is more than a little bogus.

I'll always be here to support Dan when a hunt has been mounted against him, because honest people deserve to be stood up for when they're being dragged through the mud for imbecilic reasons. Day in and day out I still read the words of people who have completely misread this man and his comments, making such exaggerated statements about him, blindly and wildly assuming that he hates Bond and is only in it for the money, letting the dust settle on any objectivity they have left rattling inside their heads. As long as I'm here, that's just not going to stand, I'm sorry. Evolution is real, and we've all still got brains, so let us use them.

And this business of Hiddleston having to quit dancing if he's cast as Bond, as it will be used against the franchise, is another matter entirely. I don't think I've had a greater laugh out of both amusement and shame for weeks now. I've got news for some: Hiddleston, like Dan, doesn't care, and what the media will do, they will do. If the man lets a bunch of pseudo reporters of the lowest order dictate his life and sap away the free will he was christened with at birth, that makes him much less of a man than I know he is. And don't think of adding in any comments as to his levels of masculinity in response, as I've thought of them all. Just thought I'd save some members the time, I know theirs is precious.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Murdock wrote: »
    Michael said MGM was choosing between 3 potential distributors. EON is ready to go as for as they are concerned, It's MGM holding up the line. They need to just pick one and let EON continue on with their jobs. It's not EON's or Daniel's fault.

Hey I don't want to argue ..debate yes but argue no. To you and whomever else I got snippy with I'm sorry.

I do respect and appreciate EoN for what they have given us. I just get frustrated and don't always agree.

Thanks
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Well said, so much hysteria going on over nothing.
    For those still ignorant of this, Craig did further explicate his "wrist slashing" comment in the context of SP and his possible future work in Bond, shortly after he made the comment. He used Mendes' response to it (that he made at a film screening I believe, when he was asked about Dan's words) to explain to everyone quite clearly what he meant, by saying something along the lines of, "when you've just run a marathon, the last thing you want to be asked when you're crossing the finish line is, 'd'you want to run another?'" How his comments can still be taken out of context is down to the media that report it, and yes, it is very much the media's job to examine and report things as objectively as possible, as lost an art as that has become more and more over the decades. People eat up news and don't think to question its accuracy at salient times (as we've seen on this forum before), so if the media wants to unplug their brains and follow the same tactics, then we're all well and truly screwed, aren't we? It falls on media outlets and consumers of media to use their heads once in a while for things other than hitting them against walls.

I for one am glad Dan is so open about his views, and never sugar coats anything just to sound sun shiny; it's one of my absolute favorite things about him. Some say that this aspect of his personality reflects badly on the franchise, but more than anything, him and his role as Bond has been taking it all, not EON or the films, as if he's now suddenly Atlas in a finely cut tuxedo. I refuse to put all blame at his feet when it's others who've lost the plot, and have taken all his comments at face value instead of looking deeper (it's called subtext), though they know it's Dan and should realize at this point that silly comments like that are par for the course with him and he always jerks around interviewers who ask mindless questions over and over again. As I would, and many others. After a while, you get sick of stupidity and dare to expect more thought and ingenuity. For all the questions asked at press junkets, a glimmering 1% have actual substance or interest attached to them. It's completely understandable why Dan is driven to the responses he sometimes gives.

Dan's reactions to the media frenzy are simply ones that I respect. He doesn't care, has never cared, and dammit, why should he? Rags will report anything to get the presses rolling, no matter what he does, so why would he waste time and energy fussing over that which he can't control? Comments get made, then taken out of context, or completely redacted and reformed into an agenda that can be pushed, so why bother with it all? Dan is keeping his nose to the grindstone, focusing on his family and other work as he mulls over what to do next in regards to Bond. How people can fault him for that at this point is more than a little bogus.

I'll always be here to support Dan when a hunt has been mounted against him, because honest people deserve to be stood up for when they're being dragged through the mud for imbecilic reasons. Day in and day out I still read the words of people who have completely misread this man and his comments, making such exaggerated statements about him, blindly and wildly assuming that he hates Bond and is only in it for the money, letting the dust settle on any objectivity they have left rattling inside their heads. As long as I'm here, that's just not going to stand, I'm sorry. Evolution is real, and we've all still got brains, so let us use them.

And this business of Hiddleston having to quit dancing if he's cast as Bond, as it will be used against the franchise, is another matter entirely. I don't think I've had a greater laugh out of both amusement and shame for weeks now. I've got news for some: Hiddleston, like Dan, doesn't care, and what the media will do, they will do. If the man lets a bunch of pseudo reporters of the lowest order dictate his life and sap away the free will he was christened with at birth, that makes him much less of a man than I know he is. And don't think of adding in any comments as to his levels of masculinity in response, as I've thought of them all. Just thought I'd save some members the time, I know theirs is precious.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sick of the press blowing Craig's comments out of proportion.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Brady that's the best post on this thread. Thankyou so very much .
    jake24 wrote: »

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm sick of the press blowing Craig's comments out of proportion.
    We all are, but no body is listening to us.
    In the end, they all bring themselves to the table and nobody is perfect. He got through 4 waves of interviews and did them well and willingly. But we should take into account, that he has no jazz hands like some and isn't one to overdo the pleased face, when indeed he is not. He has brought MORE then his share to the films as such and should be granted a mistake or two with the interviews.

Not looking pleased wasn't the problem, he just had to pick his words carefully. That should have been easy for someone who'd been acting as long as Craig has (what, 20+ years?). And for what he has brought to the films, he is being paid for, a lot, he isn't doing it for charity.

Not looking pleased wasn't the problem, he just had to pick his words carefully. That should have been easy for someone who'd been acting as long as Craig has (what, 20+ years?). And for what he has brought to the films, he is being paid for, a lot, he isn't doing it for charity.

Neither were the others, but I believe, its out of the question, that the way, he throw hinself into it, was different to what the others did. But its ok, Major, we won't and don't have to agree.

Neither were the others, but I believe, its out of the question, that the way, he throw hinself into it, was different to what the others did. But its ok, Major, we won't and don't have to agree.
    That's true. He did give it more, but he was also given that mandate, given he was the reboot Bond. Some of the others were more constrained in terms of what they could have done, under the Cubby regime. Dalton perhaps tried to push the envelope, but even then he ran into some resistance from what I've heard (from MGM?).

Craig definitely seized the opportunity, and that's to his credit, but he had it too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Dalton wanted to push Fleming far more, but wasn't allowed. The Daltonites here would be much more able to confirm or deny this than I, though.