The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Great little video, quite amusing! ;))
    For a while now I've always thought that DC would make an excellent Rommel -- if someone would only make an epic big budget biopic about the legendary military commander. (Dammit, Christopher Nolan chose DUNKIRK instead...)

The 1951 film THE DESERT FOX, starring James Mason, just doesn't cut it. Afrika Korps vets who saw the film when it was released in West Germany said that Mason's portrayal was "too polite" and "mannered".

Craig's at the right age now, only a little taller than the real man, and has the Desert Fox's piercing blue eyes.

No doubt he'd rock the Wehrmacht uniform with leather greatcoat...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Those Wehrmacht uniforms would look good on him.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Daniel Craig To Be Star Attraction At Bollywood Vs Politicians Charity Football Match

If things go as planned, Hollywood star Daniel Craig might just be in India next month. Best known for his iconic portrayal of James Bond, the 48-year-old British actor will be the star attraction at a charity football match between Bollywood celebrities and politicians in New Delhi on June 11.

Sources attribute the Craig connection to Italian activist-diplomat Angelo Antonio Toriello, whose organisation, Humanicy, is spearheading the big ticket event along with its office-bearers in India. The programme aims to highlight the role of culture and humanities in shaping diplomacy. Humanicy is a term coined by Toriello to ensure happiness to everyone besides creating AIDS awareness and providing medical facilities and treatment free of cost.

Toriello, the ambassador at large for Sao Tome and Principe, is also Special Envoy to the Permanent Mission of Sao Tome and Principe to the United Nations.

Craig recently joined hands with Toriello to recognise the importance of humanitarian causes. The star was named by the UN as global advocate for the elimination of mines and explosive hazards during the International Happiness Day celebrations at the UN in March this year.

Toriello was in Mumbai recently to oversee the arrangements with his Indian team for the fundraiser. He says, "Considering Daniel Craig's contribution to the social cause, he is keen to lend support to our initiatives. We have already approached him and sounded him about the gala. He has evinced a desire to visit India. We are giving him an occasion to lend support to our causes. We are hopeful that he will be able to be there for the gala."
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So he's fit enough to play in a football match eh?
    I think Craig has done wonders for the franchise.

His acting skills allowed for the writers to really focus on character development and storylines, more than on effect. It also allowed for the acting overall (by Craig and the supporting cast) to be raised a few notches. It brings intensity not just in actions scenes, but also in dialogue-scenes.

His view on the Bond-character is another welcome change: this is an actor who physically (not just body, but also glance) shows you the cold, heartless, remorseless and relentless killing machine Bond was trained into. Furthermore, he plays it not too suave (except in SP) and gives Bond back some of his dark, masochistic and rough edges. A proper answer from EON in the Bale Batman and Bourne-era (albeit overdue).

His approach on the character and earnestness towards the franchise attracted some great actors and Mendes. And though I'm not a fan of SP, I think future generations will consider SF an absolute Bond-classic - in the league of GF and OHMSS.

He showed everyone protesting against him as Bond how short-sighted it is to focus on hair color. A good actor greatly outweighs hair color and length.

So I'm especially grateful for the producers ignoring the loud voices of protest when Craig was announced back in the day.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Craig is a phenomenal Bond and for me, cemented his status and legacy with CR alone. It's frustrating how his era has played out and he deserved more from his collaborators. I really hope we can get one more from him at least but we can only wait and see what happens.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    A special episode of the South Bank Show when QoS came out -

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Dan's been rubbing shoulders with some really powerful people as of late. Not unlike Bond himself, no?

I assume he's still pursuing work involving abandoned land mines?
    Hmm ... not sure about the shirt, tie and jacket with jeans ...
    I think, its posdible he will do this, since he seems to have a good consens with Ban Ki Moon

http://m.timesofindia.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/Daniel-Craig-to-be-in-Delhi-may-meet-PM-Narendra-Modi/articleshow/52402584.cms
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited June 2016 Posts: 2,496
    Looks like India is really wanting to work with Daniel.

Daniel Craig to be approached for Tigmanshu Dhulia’s film on illegal immigrants?

If DC is back for Bond 25 maybe they will finally film in India.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    tanaka123 wrote: »

He pulls it off.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    TripAces wrote: »
    tanaka123 wrote: »

He pulls it off.

Only for Rachel, though. ;)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Is that an Emoticon I see ! :))
    I am in the pro-emoticon camp, if only because they are great at indicating when you mean serious business ( 8-| [-( :| ) and/or when you are just having a laugh ( :D :)) ;) ).
    edited June 2016 Posts: 4,554
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm sorry, but I have a very hard time pitying someone who makes tens of millions of dollars to play a secret agent.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I have a very hard time pitying someone who makes tens of millions of dollars to play a secret agent.

Pitying for what? Obviously there's nothing to feel sorry for him regarding the salary, but how much money a person makes has nothing to do with various misfortunes and tragedies in people's lives and one can feel bad for a rich person just as well for bad stuff in their lives.

But I'm missing the context here.
    This is old and you obviously missed the context, yes. Its Girls Blog, WHO had the disorder and wrote those letters. Its not DCwho had the disorder.
    Tuulia wrote: »

Pitying for what? Obviously there's nothing to feel sorry for him regarding the salary, but how much money a person makes has nothing to do with various misfortunes and tragedies in people's lives and one can feel bad for a rich person just as well for bad stuff in their lives.

But I'm missing the context here.

A woman wrote letters (blog entries) to DC, and in the process worked through her bipolar disorder. DC was just a conduit and not an actual participant, though I understand he did read the book.

@Germanlady is right. This is sort of old news, but it's the first I had read about it.

Quite fascinating.
  • edited July 2016 Posts: 2,081
    I read the article and got that story. I thought it was interesting.

I just didn't understand @Creasy47's comment and what he was talking about. I assumed he must be referring to something else entirely - since clearly he couldn't have been referring to that woman's story or anything in that article. Hence my confusion about what it could be.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    This is old and you obviously missed the context, yes. Its Girls Blog, WHO had the disorder and wrote those letters. Its not DCwho had the disorder.

I know. And if it was he'd deserve sympathy for it despite being rich.

I meant that in regards to the article about Catarina Murino. Saw a new post here but didn't notice that article was posted on June 17th, apologies for the confusion.
    I meant that in regards to the article about Catarina Murino. Saw a new post here but didn't notice that article was posted on June 17th, apologies for the confusion.

Oh. Actually I checked that one as well, just in case, but I didn't think there was anything there that anyone should feel pity for, regardless of money involved, so I thought you couldn't be talking about that, either. But okay.
    I did, hence my comment, as she discusses why she thinks he quit the role, due to stress and perfectionism. When I think of stress, the last thing I think of is a hefty, hefty paycheck to play a globe-trotting secret agent. Anyway, it's an old article, no need to bring it up again. I wouldn't have made the comment had I noticed it was old, but I've been surfing and posting on my phone, hence the mix up.
    Right. It's just that... choosing to quit (if he has) a stressful job (I'm sure it is) one feels one can't give anything new to (if that's true) isn't a cause for pity as far as I'm concerned. I mean... if a person chooses to leave a job they're not happy in and they don't need the money and will get new jobs anyway... well, you're quite right not to feel pity, but who the hell would? :)