No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

That's why it's imperative, if he's done, that the next actor be a little more committal with the press regarding his Bond tenure until it is truly done, rather than be wishy washy about it.

Well, I hope for all of you Bond fans, that the next actor will be comparable to DC in terms of committment to the role, whilst on set. This is where it counts. End of story.
    That goes without saying. However, the media machine is also part of being James Bond, whether one likes it or not, and there's no doubt in my mind that this aspect of it could have been handled a little better this time around. Perception very easily becomes reality in this business and can take precedence over what even comes on screen.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    If the rumours of a £68 million offer is true... do we really want a Bond movie with so much of the budget has gone towards its star?

That's why it's imperative, if he's done, that the next actor be a little more committal with the press regarding his Bond tenure until it is truly done, rather than be wishy washy about it.

Well, I hope for all of you Bond fans, that the next actor will be comparable to DC in terms of committment to the role, whilst on set. This is where it counts. End of story.
    That goes without saying. However, the media machine is also part of being James Bond, whether one likes it or not, and there's no doubt in my mind that this aspect of it could have been handled a little better this time around. Perception very easily becomes reality in this business and can take precedence over what even comes on screen.

Yes and he is admittingly not at his best with that. But if you look at those 10 years, you can also see a lot of willingness to give it his best. I am sure Hiddleston is better at that. But will it save his arse on a whole? He first has to proove, he can do the rest as well. IF he is chosen, of course.
    Even if true, IF, just because he turned down an offer doesn't mean he's done. He doesn't want to do two films. He might be willing to do one more. Or simply one at a time and then renegotiate after the next one. Settle down, people.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    I would be surprised if we didn't get B25 in 2018 now. That just seems more likely given how fast EON are moving. They have probably already narrowed it down to a few actors. This hunt has been going on for months now as it is.

Yes and he is admittingly not at his best with that. But if you look at those 10 years, you can also see a lot of willingness to give it his best. I am sure Hiddleston is better at that. But will it save his arse on a whole? He first has to proove, he can do the rest as well. IF he is chosen, of course.
    We don't even know if this story is true @Germanlady. Or if Hiddleston is the new Bond.

I'm not doubting Craig's efforts to do his best with the role, or his ability to influence the production with getting A list directors and cast etc. It's been exemplary and I'm sure he will be a difficult act to follow. We are all privileged to have had (or still have) him as Bond.

However, truth be told, I have gotten a little tired of all this media talk about the next Bond, and really wish Craig hadn't fed it pre-SP with the wrist slash comments, no matter how out of context it may have been. He is first and foremost an 'actor's actor' though, rather than a media movie star, and I respect him for that. We as fans have benefited from that on screen.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I truly hope Craig's supposed departure doesn't end with a bang and him and Babs and Michael are still on good terms (unlike Brosnan's).

We don't even know if this story is true @Germanlady. Or if Hiddleston is the new Bond.

I'm not doubting Craig's efforts to do his best with the role, or his ability to influence the production with getting A list directors and cast etc. It's been exemplary and I'm sure he will be a difficult act to follow. We are all privileged to have had (or still have) him as Bond.

However, truth be told, I have gotten a little tired of all this media talk about the next Bond, and really wish Craig hadn't fed it pre-SP with the wrist slash comments, no matter how out of context it may have been. He is first and foremost an 'actor's actor' though, rather than a media movie star, and I respect him for that. We as fans have benefited from that on screen.

Yes. Thanks.

jake24 wrote: »
    I truly hope Craig's supposed departure doesn't end with a bang and him and Babs and Michael are still on good terms (unlike Brosnan's).
    If he's leaving, this is the one thing I'm almost certain of. I think it will definitely be an amicable separation here, and I wouldn't be surprised if Craig is consulted on direction, even if unofficially.
    Apparently an official announcement is due today regarding Craig's departure:
    https://twitter.com/theversion?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
    Apparently an official announcement is due today regarding Craig's departure:
    https://twitter.com/theversion?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Yes, this has already been discussed and noted.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 8,087
    With all this happening so fast, this leaves the door open for Campbell to return one last time. I think Mad Max is a great instance of a older director returning to a big franchise and showing us all how its done. I refuse to believe that Martin has lost the knack for this type of filmmaking since 2006. He would probably insist on doing things in camera, he is old school that way. Mad Max is a great example because that film is a lean 2 hours long, and a lot of visual storytelling, which is precisely what I think the Bond franchise needs to do next.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2016 Posts: 7,314
    If his heart isn't in it anymore, then I totally respect his decision to move on. If this is all b.s. then I still think he could do at least one more.
    To paraphrase Ed Killifer in LTK, "Sorry, ol' buddy, but sixty eight mil's a helluva chunk o' dough."

Got to respect a man who can walk from that, if it's true. He's not for sale, no matter what the price.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 4,325
    To paraphrase Ed Killifer in LTK, "Sorry, ol' buddy, but sixty eight mil's a helluva chunk o' dough."

Got to respect a man who can walk from that, if it's true.

True, but I'm sure he already has enough money now to make him financially secure for the rest of his life. Or to paraphrase Leiter 'Does it look like I need the money?'
    tanaka123 wrote: »

True, but I'm sure he already has enough money now to make him financially secure for the rest of his life. Or to paraphrase Leiter 'Does it look like I need the money?'
    To continue with this train of thought, I can just see him saying "Do I look like I give a damn?!"

That's my Danny boy.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

To continue with this train of thought, I can just see him saying "Do I look like I give a damn?!"

That's my Danny boy.

Exactly :)
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    Wait, did Craig turn down 68 million dollars or pounds? Has he ever been to a Bureau de Change?
    Wait, did Craig turn down 68 million dollars or pounds? Has he ever been to a Bureau de Change?

Pounds sterling
    If an announcement were to happen today, by which channels should we expect it to arrive?
    I won't believe it til I see it. in today's world, 100 mil. for two movies is a lot of money even for that kind of success, even if he's worth it. also a two-movie package is a very different commitment than one last film.
    Here's an interesting aside. Who can come up with 68 Mill as an up front commitment with no strings attached on a two picture deal? Not EON alone. Not MGM alone.

That means someone well heeled is in the picture. Disney? Warner?

We may have more than an actor announcement soon if all of this is true.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Please not Disney!
    Here's an interesting aside. Who can come up with 68 Mill as an up front commitment with no strings attached on a two picture deal? Not EON alone. Not MGM alone.

=P~ This just gets better and better. And to think, we were writing off 2016 as a barren wasteland of news just a few weeks ago. How quickly things change.
    My colleagues at BBC News have just posted this story.

http://bbc.in/1sBfpd5

Lizo.

=P~ This just gets better and better. And to think, we were writing off 2016 as a barren wasteland of news just a few weeks ago. How quickly things change.

Could still be nothing in it.
  • RC7RC7
    Lizo wrote: »
    My colleagues at BBC News have just posted this story.

http://bbc.in/1sBfpd5

Lizo.

This is as concrete as it gets. Perhaps everyone can now calm down.
    So the media circus continues, and could render any decision he finally makes even more anti climactic.

These guys either have to put a lid on things one way or the other definitively or throw the media a bone, otherwise the speculation will continue for some time. The cycle is getting away from them, and did during the SP rollout as well.

Soon it will be like the boy who cried wolf.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So we're back to bloody square one. That's just great. I'm now thinking he may just come back for a 5th film and be done with it. No way he's holding out for an even bigger payday. The offer already is absurdly huge and makes me wonder wtf is going in with their budget. Bond films shouldn't be costing in excess of $190 million in the first place. One thing's for certain, as mentioned by someone in an above post, whoever the distributor is its a studio with serious pesos.