No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I'm actually very relieved we're back to square one. I'm not ready for the Craig is done news yet. That being said I think Criag is actually waiting to see who the new studio will be, who the director will be, and what he script is. That's my guess
    But they cannot write a script without knowing, who will play the role.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't see how he can do another one without repeating himself personally. His arc is complete and he has given us 4 distinct films (from an acting and from a tonal perspective). That's impressive.

If I were him, I'd move on and try new things and develop myself as an 'older' character actor now. Map out the space.

Having said that, it's up to him.

I wish this wan't true but in my heart of hearts I know you're right... I just want to see Craig face Blofeld one more time...
    I hear you. Even though I'm not a fan of SP, I can see where some are coming from.

From a career standpoint, if he leaves now, he will be seen as the man who brought Bond back full circle, from newbie agent to seasoned vet, and his Bond era will be seen as an almost 'artsy' or 'artistic' one. That's quite a legacy to leave behind for the next fella and for EON. He leaves now with his head held high. Higher than Connery, Moore or Brosnan.

EDIT: Moreover, his reputation as an actor is intact and even enhanced.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yeah, let's not cling to Craig like a life jacket. EON has a habbit of getting too comfortable doing things a certain way that they make it harder for themselves down the line. As fans we should be wary of that staleness beginning to set in, as EON are happy to keep going as long as they're still making bank. We shouldn't be making excuses for them. Just because Craig might decide to do a fifth doesn't mean that its the best thing for the franchise in the long term. Ignore the fact that he has only made 4 films (that is EON's fault for not getting a move on) and look at HOW LONG he has been in the role. 10 years, I think, is enough for any actor to leave their mark. This "I want Craig to go out on a high!" Is very shortsighted. Chances are, returning for a fifth film is more likely to damage his legacy than solidify it.
    I don't see how he can do another one without repeating himself personally. His arc is complete and he has given us 4 distinct films (from an acting and from a tonal perspective). That's impressive.

If I were him, I'd move on and try new things and develop myself as an 'older' character actor now. Map out the space.

I said this before and it's probably not a good comparison but I see Craig's 4 films like the seasons 1-4 of breaking bad. In breaking bad the series could have ended in season 4. Walt kills the meth king pin, he made his money, family is safe he can move on perfect happy ending for him, but they made a 5th season to countinue the story and the 5th season was absolutely fantastic and was a better ending to the series then season 4 ending.

Now look at the 4 Craig films. His story his complete. He beat the main bad guy in Blofeld, he tied up all his lose ends from his 3 other films, he retires, and settles down with his girl madeline the perfect happy ending for Craig's run, but just like breaking bad they left a small hole opened to countinue to add on to the Craig Bond story if he wants to.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There is no "arc" imho @bondjames
    Bond movies have always been standing on its own.
    Look at Moore, compare TMWTGG with AVTAK or LALD with MR etc.
    That's like at least 4 different "arcs".

Craig can easily do two more. They can easily just forget Spectre and continue with something completely different.
    Personally I find it nonsense to say, Blofeld or/and Swann have to return (I don't mean you bondjames).

What I want is Bond 25 with Craig on a mission that has nothing to do with anything from CR to SP. Make it a FRWL/FYEO kind of movie, or the opposite, a MR/DAD kind of movie which means OTT fun mindless action with a lot of self-irony.
    Both scenarios would work I'm sure. Bond fans are loyal, Bond 25 will be financially successful like all its 24 predecessors.
    Yes even QOS was financially successful.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Well, if true this is severely disappointing. Craig has easily been my favorite Bond, and the last four movies have been excellent. Still, SPECTRE left room for a continuation where Bond could've had a final showdown against Blofeld. The story just doesn't seem complete. You can't introduced Waltz as Blofeld, leave him alive, and end it here... Not fair at all. If this is true, I'm really, really, really going to miss DC. He's been absolutely amazing in this role.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Well, if true this is severely disappointing. Craig has easily been my favorite Bond, and the last four movies have been excellent. Still, SPECTRE left room for a continuation where Bond could've had a final showdown against Blofeld. The story just doesn't seem complete. You can't introduced Waltz as Blofeld, leave him alive, and end it here... Not fair at all. If this is true, I'm really, really, really going to miss DC. He's been absolutely amazing in this role.
    I wouldn't worry too much @DonnyDB5. The story is almost certainly fabricated, and according to BBC an official Bond source contacted them to confirm the fact that it was false.
    I wonder, what you would say, if Turner needed a couple of more years agewise. Haha - yes, would love to read you then. I am sure, you would want DC to stay more then anything else in your world B-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    jake24 wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much @DonnyDB5. The story is almost certainly fabricated, and according to BBC an official Bond source contacted them to confirm the fact that it was false.

I agree, they were quick to contradict this story. Saying that, Donny, I'm with you: Craig's my fave; I think he's got lots left in the tank (just, as I wrote on another thread, fix up the scripts with some fresh eyes, and get to work to challenging the actor again and giving him something worthy of his talents).

When I read the first report, I was gutted.

But now I have hope that, as Jake mentioned, this was fabricated.

It's not even important if this was fabricated.
    The fact remains EON has to announce something rather sooner than later because the media will go to any length to have such stories on a regular basis and that's not a good scenario.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The fact remains EON has to announce something rather sooner than later because the media will go to any length to have such stories on a regular basis and that's not a good scenario.

Agreed.
  • peterpeter Toronto

If EON have nothing to report (whether distributor or next film), there's no point in rushing an announcement for the sake of an announcement.

The media will continue spinning tales.

EON will just hafta have their people ready to respond, as they did today.
    fjdinardo wrote: »

I said this before and it's probably not a good comparison but I see Craig's 4 films like the seasons 1-4 of breaking bad. In breaking bad the series could have ended in season 4. Walt kills the meth king pin, he made his money, family is safe he can move on perfect happy ending for him, but they made a 5th season to countinue the story and the 5th season was absolutely fantastic and was a better ending to the series then season 4 ending.

Now look at the 4 Craig films. His story his complete. He beat the main bad guy in Blofeld, he tied up all his lose ends from his 3 other films, he retires, and settles down with his girl madeline the perfect happy ending for Craig's run, but just like breaking bad they left a small hole opened to countinue to add on to the Craig Bond story if he wants to.
    I agree.
    You are correct @BondJasonBond006, up to the Craig era. They have consciously gone with a 'timeline' in the Craig period, and tied everything together even when they didn't have to. It's a clear artistic decision on their part (and perhaps even Craig's). So his era can be 'contained' as a reboot one if the producers want to move forward. Artistically, I think that would be best for him (it will give him a distinct story in comparison to the other actors).

They have given themselves options post-SP with the SP ending, as many have noted. It now just comes down to Craig & the new studio. We know what EON prefers (Craig returning), although I'm sure the Hiddleston meeting had some purpose, even if it was an 'intro' (arranged by Mendes perhaps?) to just see how they all got along.

He is the one actor who I believe doesn't need an audition. He's already given it.

We don't know anything for certain yet.
    I bet there is something in Craig's contract that says if he wants to leave then he cannot make the announcement himself - it has to come from EON, so that they can control the publicity. So even if he has told Babs he wants to walk away, he has to wait until they find a replacement or the timing is right before it's officially announced.
    Like all of us he is awaiting a script and Director? I also think that he will only do one more Bond and then bow out.

I agree.
    You are correct @BondJasonBond006, up to the Craig era. They have consciously gone with a 'timeline' in the Craig period, and tied everything together even when they didn't have to. It's a clear artistic decision on their part (and perhaps even Craig's). So his era can be 'contained' as a reboot one if the producers want to move forward. Artistically, I think that would be best for him (it will give him a distinct story in comparison to the other actors).

They have given themselves options post-SP with the SP ending, as many have noted. It now just comes down to Craig & the new studio. We know what EON prefers (Craig returning), although I'm sure the Hiddleston meeting had some purpose, even if it was an 'intro' (arranged by Mendes perhaps?) to just see how they all got along.

He is the one actor who I believe doesn't need an audition. He's already given it.

If EoN attempts to retain this continuity aspect to the Bond films (which I've enjoyed, mind you), the problem arises when they jump at the chance of reintroducing the world of SPECTRE and Blofeld as soon as they obtain the rights, only for the actor to leave the franchise after the first film featuring the iconic organization in over 30 years. That would be a result of poor planning, and EoN needs to plan ahead.
    jake24 wrote: »

I agree.

If EoN attempts to retain this continuity aspect to the Bond films (which I've enjoyed, mind you), the problem arises when they jump at the chance of reintroducing the world of SPECTRE and Blofeld as soon as they obtain the rights, only for the actor to leave the franchise after the first film featuring the iconic organization in over 30 years. That would be a result of poor planning, and EoN needs to plan ahead.
    I agree with you.

Given Craig's age, and his ambivalence toward the role, it would have been better to hold off and introduce Blofeld with a new actor imho, so that they could have played the Blofeld arc out over multiple films and let it unfold like in the prior years.

I think they made a mistake introducing him in SP. They could have 'hinted' at him in the finale and then gone forward with a new actor in B25 if they wanted, or potentially gone with a multi-Craig film Blofeld arc (which is what they initially wanted if I'm not mistaken - and Craig turned them down).

What we have now is not the best situation, as far as Blofeld is concerned. They probably will have to keep him 'at bay' for the next few films, if it's a new actor. If it's Craig again, it probably has to be a Blofeld continuation, which hampers them creatively with a new studio.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Before SP I wanted Craig forever but with the mixed reception I think the general audience and some of us are ready.

Craig's Bond will be blamed for SP even though that's an erroneous connection.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Like all of us he is awaiting a script and Director? I also think that he will only do one more Bond and then bow out.

This is what I think as well
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I still think Craigs departure is iminent. Besides ego, what other reason does Craig have to put himself through another gruelling 2 - 3 year slog? He's set for life financially and he has already signalled he wants to spend more time with his family. The only reason for him to return is if they manage to attract a director he wants to work with, but they don't come cheap. EON/MGM are going to need the backing of some real big spenders if they are going to pull off another SP sized production.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Before SP I wanted Craig forever but with the mixed reception I think the general audience and some of us are ready.

That mixed reception only happened in the US. In Europe Spectre has broken countless ticket sales records and got a lot of rave reviews.

Spectre has put movies like Jurassic World, Furious 7 and Age Of Ultron to shame ticket sales wise.

Europe is ready for some more action with Craig.

That mixed reception only happened in the US. In Europe Spectre has broken countless ticket sales records and got a lot of rave reviews.

Spectre has put movies like Jurassic World, Furious 7 and Age Of Ultron to shame ticket sales wise.

I agree but the US is an important market.
  • DisneyBond007DisneyBond007 Welwyn Garden City
    Also, another source to the BBC that earlier this year MGM, which controls the rights to the 007 franchise, told investors that the series was operating on a three-to-four year cycle, which means that the next Bond film isn’t due in cinemas until late 2018 at the earliest.

That means we need it's new partner (Again, it may be likely to be Walt Disney Pictures and not Warner Brothers unless MGM's contract with other film studios may merged into one) and it's release date (seen above) for Bond 25.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I agree but the US is an important market.
    The most important market (still), including 'media' market, and one where all the studios, except for Sony, are housed. From my understanding, it's also one of the most profitable on a net basis.

It's not insignificant, and EON always pays attention to US critical opinion, even if it's not as important as before.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,116

The reviews I believe were pretty much mixed overall but less forgiving maybe in the US.

I could be wrong. Still NA is a profitable market and one the studios at least want to not loose share.

I really think everything is on hold or limbo until distributor found. And even after that how to handle Bond is unsure.

Remember Bond's co-owners MGM from the quarterly conference call aren't in a rush to produce a new Bond.

Bond's reception and profit margin (thanks to EoN's stupid budget.) aren't the selling points or isn't pulling in potential distributors.

• ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,692
    I do hope we get one more Craig, but more than anything it's so EON theoretically can actually buy time to really start planning ahead a bit.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Also, another source to the BBC that earlier this year MGM, which controls the rights to the 007 franchise, told investors that the series was operating on a three-to-four year cycle, which means that the next Bond film isn’t due in cinemas until late 2018 at the earliest.

That means we need it's new partner (Again, it may be likely to be Walt Disney Pictures and not Warner Brothers unless MGM's contract with other film studios may merged into one) and it's release date (seen above) for Bond 25.
    I think you may need to start considering in taking facts into account. Disney won't go for the Bond franchise. They don't need it, never showed the signs to adopt it. It's an IP that goes against everything they believe in. It won't happen now, it won't happen anytime soon. Warner Bros is far more likely due to their collaborations with MGM in the past, regardless of how small has it been. The other likely option to have is Sony to renew their contract with MGM. But, for the others? No one showed a sign of interest.

That also said, MGM is aiming to get back on its feet and become a studio of its own again by 2022. And with a couple of years in that pace, there is no chance in hell they'll hand over the Bond rights to anyone, let alone a swallowing monster company like Disney. Let's get back to the real world, now.
    But the distribution deal is for all of MGM not just Bond. I'm still not advocating Disney nor do I think it will be Disney.

If Disney could be through Touchstone.
    I have a feeling it will be Warner brothers