The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    pachazo wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    - Yaphet Kotto is one of the weakest villains, the terrible Mr. Big disguise doesn't help.
    I find all your criticisms to be fair, except for this one. I think Kotto gave an outstanding performance. He makes the most of the bad makeup job and is actually quite menacing in the scene where he removes the false face. I find him to be one of the more underrated villains in the series.
    I agree. Kotto is quite chilling, especially when threatening Solitaire and as Big (I found the disguise very realistic, as a kid and even now! I can't believe Big is actually played by Kotto and not another actor).

LALD has some of the most charismatic villains in the series imho, along with OP & GE.
    " I agree. Kotto is quite chilling, especially when threatening Solitaire and as Big (I found the disguise very realistic, as a kid and even now! I can't believe Big is actually played by Kotto and not another actor).

LALD has some of the most charismatic villains in the series imho, along with OP & GE. "

I could not agree more. Do not hate on Yaphet Kotto, he is a great actor and his Kananga is underrated. And the gallery of rogues in LALD are tops. I find the villains so charismatic (except for Rosie) but the rest of them from Tee Hee, thru Whisper, to Adam (I actually liked this heavy) and finally Baron Samedi. And the train fight between Bond and Tee Hee is the most thrilling and violent fight of the Moore era (the fight with Chang in MR comes close)

These guys do not get the credit they deserve.
    As I've said before, my only real issue with the villains was that Kananga's death felt rushed so that we could get to the train fight. Barely a minute after Kananga bursts Bond is on the train.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    As I've said before, my only real issue with the villains was that Kananga's death felt rushed so that we could get to the train fight. Barely a minute after Kananga bursts Bond is on the train.
    Actually that moment is very old school. It's sort of reminiscent of a similar moment at the end of North By Northwest. Right after the Mount Rushmore scene they are on a train and I think Grant proposes marriage. I wonder if Hamilton was homaging that sequence.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Would you have preferred seeing them flee the island instead? His death still comes at the end of the movie during the finale, I don't see it being rushed at all. But, that's just me. If we're talking awkward segues, lately it has bothered me that we get the incredibly emotional finale that OHMSS offers...just for it to quickly and awkwardly cut to the upbeat theme song as Bond still holds his dear-departed wife's body.
    But the fight with Tee Hee is a lot longer than the one with Kananga. At least the Rushmore climax WAS the climax between the main villains.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If we're talking awkward segues, lately it has bothered me that we get the incredibly emotional finale that OHMSS offers...just for it to quickly and awkwardly cut to the upbeat theme song as Bond still holds his dear-departed wife's body.
    I agree on this for sure. They should have ended with Armstrong's song imho. Perhaps a slower version or the Barry instrumental that plays throughout the film.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,117
    bondjames wrote: »
    Actually that moment is very old school. It's sort of reminiscent of a similar moment at the end of North By Northwest. Right after the Mount Rushmore scene they are on a train and I think Grant proposes marriage. I wonder if Hamilton was homaging that sequence.

Does everything in every film ever have to be a homage these days?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

It's the Mendes effect.

Certainly seems to be the case.

20-30 years from now, we'll be watching the latest Bond film and catch the new up-and-coming director's homage to one of Sam Mendes' homages to a prior Bond film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    2062:
    "I didn't get the significance to the 'Day Of The Dead' scene in Nuevo Mexico on Mars... "
    "Man, you never saw a Bond film before 2040- right?"
    "Sorry, not into non-immersive flicks dude."
  • When they've got no original ideas...

Mendes just wanks into a flannel at the thought of bigger explosions. He's a disgrace to the franchise - worse than Tamahori
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    chrisisall wrote: »
    2062:
    "I didn't get the significance to the 'Day Of The Dead' scene in Nuevo Mexico on Mars... "
    "Man, you never saw a Bond film before 2040- right?"
    "Sorry, not into non-immersive flicks dude."

That just made my day :))
    And I needed a good laugh, thank you :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    When they've got no original ideas...

Mendes just wanks into a flannel at the thought of bigger explosions.

Really can't disagree with that.

The behind the scenes video of them filming the crater explosion is embarassing. Is he 5 years old?

It's even more annoying to see him dancing around with glee when we now know he's holding a script in his hand with a third act that is only fit for Andrex to use.

If I knew how the script had turned out I doubt the biggest explosion in the world could wipe the glazed look of desolation off my face - unless P&W were at the centre of it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    When they've got no original ideas...

Mendes just wanks into a flannel at the thought of bigger explosions. He's a disgrace to the franchise - worse than Tamahori

No one is worse than Tamahori!
    Tamahori did a good job, it was the CGI department that failed.

The worst director in the series of course is Apted (TWINE).
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Anyone that has the idea of ice surfing away from a tsunami, should be not allowed near the Bond series.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,116

For me it's Glen, but Apted was originally the director that disappointed me the most. Mendes holds the title for me now.

I know we don't quite agree on that. We do that Apted was disappointing to say the least.

Apted can't even win that title for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Those gangsters from Goldfinger who ask questions over every little thing still make me cring. "Hey what's with dat trick Pool table!?" "Hey wat's dat Map doing over there!?" "Hey wat's with the floor!?! MY FEET!" Were these gangsters from Mayberry? :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Brosnan bugs me.
    He's too good looking.
    He's sometimes serious & sometimes funny.
    He runs the way Olympic athletes do.
    He makes pain look uncomfortable or something.
    He tends to have good chemistry with even bad actresses.
    He bothers to put in good performances even in bad movies....
    mcdonbb wrote: »

For me it's Glen, but Apted was originally the director that disappointed me the most. Mendes holds the title for me now.

I know we don't quite agree on that. We do that Apted was disappointing to say the least.

Apted can't even win that title for me.

What. Glen made TLD, LTK and FYEO...All great films.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Anyone that has the idea of ice surfing away from a tsunami, should be not allowed near the Bond series.

Yes. Very true.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Yes. Very true.

But that was P+W script writing wasn't it? And not the director's choice.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    No, it was the director

Yes. Very true.

But that was P+W script writing wasn't it? And not the director's choice.

I agree. But there was poor direction too. I.e. The crap slow mo scenes (Bond fights Zao at the plastic surgery suite) and the tacky fast track zoom in's during the ice lake scenes.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Brosnan bugs me.
    He's too good looking.

For all those reasons i love him.

edited April 2016 Posts: 5,131
    Szonana wrote: »
    Brosnan bugs me.
    He's too good looking.

Everything above is positive about Pierce. He can't run for shit though. He would have been in the bottom set in PE.
    Szonana wrote: »
    Brosnan bugs me.
    He's too good looking.

Everything above is positive about Pierce. He can't run for shit though. He would have been in the bottom set in PE.

Apparently he used to play Rugby (according to an interview he did in 2002).

He may not have been the most athletic of the Bond's, but I suspect he was far more atheletic than me (and I WAS pretty much in the bottom set of PE).
    edited April 2016 Posts: 5,131
    What I mean by the running is....watch Craig run in CR...he looks fast and athletic. Watch Brosnan in TND and he looks a tad, well, camp and silly. When not running Brosnan looks suave....but anything more than a jog is Comedic.
    What I mean by the running is....watch Craig run in CR...he looks fast and athletic. Watch Brosnan in TND and he looks a tad, well, camp and silly. When not running Brosnan looks suave....but anything more than a jog is Comedic.

I think the only time Brosnan looks silly running is when he's running away from the ice palace in DAD.

I remember people also levelling the "doesn't he run funny" criticism at Craig.