Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

What Snyder has done visually in Man of Steel and BvS is far superior than most films in the genre. I find the relenting hate baffling. Snyder creates great cinematic art, in that context I can see the comparison to other visionary directors.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @fire_and_ice
    Stringing together one great visual sequence after another doesn't make a director visionary.
    At this moment Snyder is a one-hit wonder for me. 300 was unique and original and Watchmen is the greatest ever comic book movie.
    But the rest of his movies are forgettable or as I said a collage of visually impressive scenes that don't make sense stringed together (Sucker Punch).
    So two hit wonder based on what you said :) Man of Steel is on the same level in my opinion. Off course this is all about opinion. BvS IMO is astonishing, I understood everything I was watching and was in awe of its greatness.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Interesting tid-bit I saw on Reddit today:
    There is no gun turret on the Batmobile in these photos from the Suicide Squad set. Some are speculating that since this film takes place after the events of BvS (reportedly), perhaps Batman has removed the gun and is no longer killing.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185
    @DarthDimi

Kubrik is my favorite director of all time easily. You just have to admire his will and his persistency, which were probably simply obsessiveness.

My comparrison comes from the fact that Snyder made a movie that is similarily brutally honest in it's themes. He paints a world that is true to it's nature, there are no good guys, there are no rainbows and happy ever afters. All the 'heroes' suffer from consequences of their actions.

I think that the problem that most 'fans' have with that movie is, that after watching it NO ONE wants to be those guys. No one wants to be THAT Batman, or THAT Superman, because the price is too high, they don't get cheered on, they are isolated. These guys suffer and suffer, but in the context of the movie it is absolutely plausible. Our world is not about right and wrong but about picking sides, and you have to decide for yourself why you do what you do.

In that sense he made a very thought provoking and realistic movie.
    He just used comic book heroes for it.

I think a lot of people were simply looking for a movie with an identification figure to latch on to, and have some fun, be inspired or whatever. Like me when i watch Goldeneye :)
    But they did not get that at all, instead this is a much more philosophical movie, and an analogy about the time we are living in. There is a preconcived notion of what a superhero movie is spposed to be at the moment (Marvel), and BvS is simply not that.
    Snyder took a very different approach.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I can't help but be very entertained by Michael Bay films so I'm fine with the comparison. ;-)

Also, Affleck can't be the best Batman ever. That place is already taken:
    1D274907561104-today-keaton-batman-150107-01.today-inline-large.jpg

;-)

OH yeah! =D>
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Dalton12 wrote: »

i just send Zack Snyder a tweet with that video, hope he sees it.
    maybe more people could do that.
    i think some positivity is seriously needed right now.

Wow that's pretty powerful.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This chap should get into politics. He's quite convincing, right down to the emoting for the camera.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139

Why cant people express themselves without unravelling and bursting into tears these days? Jeez; it's just a movie; meanwhile there are people dying and suffering all manners of atrocities and death all over the world and this one wants to be sobbing in front of a camera over cartoon characters. Honestly 8-|

I grew up reading and watching DC and Marvel comic characters and still do today but I'm not going to start getting overly emotional to the point I start crying or lobbying for people to be removed or signing online petitions. I'm passionate by paying money to read and watch this stuff.

That being said, he presented the points of his perspective rather well and I agree with some if not most of it. I don't agree with the need to have seen the death of his parents yet again as I think the film should have highlighted on the death of robin instead. Bruce is well and truly batman and the avenging dark knight, honouring his parents. He comes across all manner of evil but deals with it without crossing the line....until Robin is brutally murdered. We saw the Joker's graffiti all over Robin's costume, indicating Robin's murder and how batman "failed" him. That is what should have been the catalyst for batman to be "out of character". Seeing superman fighting zod, destroying everything could have also been Bruce's perspective of having no choice and to do whatever it takes to put such power down for good and what Alfred said about good men turning bad serves and fuels batman's obsession to hunt down and stop superman with such aggression. The whole mother's having the same name thing is irrelevant and only highlights how poorly conceived this film was and how dumb they made batman. Batman harps on about Supes not being a man but whereas the name of his mother is used as a trigger for batman to at long last pause, think and actually come to his senses, it's actually the acknowledgement of the fact that superman has a mother, has a carer who nursed and nurtured him and has a mother that's in imminent danger in which superman for all his god-like powers was and is helpless and powerless to save.

As for superman, the film did a good job of making me feel sorry for the character but again he's a character that was horribly written. Captain America in the Marvel films is more superman in terms of his ideals, values and conviction of philosophy than the actual superman character himself as presented in MoS and BvS. Captain America's opening narration over the second trailer for civil war says it all really and is more powerful and poignant with it's significance than anything Zack Snyder/Goyer has conveyed with their version of superman.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    As for superman, the film did a good job of making me feel sorry for the character but again he's a character that was horribly written. Captain America in the Marvel films is more superman in terms of his ideals, values and conviction of philosophy than the actual superman character himself as presented in MoS and BvS. Captain America's opening narration over the second trailer for civil war says it all really and is more powerful and poignant with it's significance than anything Zack Snyder/Goyer has conveyed with their version of superman.
    Well said. I agree, and was thinking that just the other day. Even in Avengers-Ultron, Cap's ideals were highlighted, in contrast to Stark etc. and defined him nicely.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was actually surprised to hear that Snyder decided to fill this one with yet another look at the origins of Bruce Wayne...as if it wasn't done to death a few years ago in Nolan's trilogy, and as if anyone was showing up to BvS with no idea who Bruce Wayne is or how Batman is formed. Priorities, Snyder.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I was actually surprised to hear that Snyder decided to fill this one with yet another look at the origins of Bruce Wayne...as if it wasn't done to death a few years ago in Nolan's trilogy, and as if anyone was showing up to BvS with no idea who Bruce Wayne is or how Batman is formed. Priorities, Snyder.

Yes it felt odd. And Nolan did it way better!!
    I viewed it as an opportunity to point out to the not-so-comic-aware crowd that Bruce's mom was named Martha, which was important for later
    I viewed it as an opportunity to point out to the not-so-comic-aware crowd that Bruce's mom was named Martha, which was important for later
    Yes, I think that was the primary reason to include it, as well as to quickly re-establish Bruce's motivations during the title credits. I was ok with the way it was done because they moved through it quickly enough.

That's the way I viewed it.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, even if his parents' death had to be referenced in the film it could have been referenced by dialogue, a family painting or Grave stone (with names of his parents) with Bruce looking at it longingly, we didn't need to see it playout for the umpteenth time. I really would have liked either a scene with a nondescript Robin being murdered or Bruce having a conversation with Alfred about Robin's death...another significant tragedy that really hammers home the relentless pain and loss this guy has been through and how it's ultimately driven him over the edge to behave abnormally.
    It felt out of place and didn't at all explain why Bruce is the bitter relentless man and deciding to kill people.
    The reason for that should have been shown.
    What about Robin's costume in the cave?

Another mystery only known to the prop department probably ;)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Also the fact he blames Superman for the destruction of metropolis and death of friends and employees. The rage he feels when he rescues the girl who's mother died is tangible. Bruce in that moment knows the pain that girl will feel and reliving his own pain.

Another mystery only known to the prop department probably ;)
    Well what I meant was that was probably a point in which Batman became more brutal.

We should petition to have the R rated Directors Cut on the big screen!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @doubleoego, I agree that there were a lot of issues with how Superman was written. I just wanted there to be moments, especially near the end,
    during the fight with Doomsday where he saved innocent people so that it would make more sense for why the public suddenly loved him at the end of the film.

I like Cavill and think he could pull off a lot of pure Superman moments, like this one if given the chance:
    XTeXLkm4TGa5TL707aw1_tumblr_lj61cxe9dY1qiam50o1_500.jpg
    He's got a charm and innocence about him that Snyder never plays with here, and that's a shame because in MoS, those moments were when Cavill shined most. All we get in this movie is the public hating him, which then leads him to believe he must be the bad guy after all. That's not Superman, I'm sorry. He feels day and night from who he was in MoS to me, because in that film he knew he was a good man, no matter what others said, and knew that soon, the public would join his side and trust him if he gave them the chance and didn't give in to their initial reactions to the dangers they think he could pose. He knew he had to earn their trust and prove them wrong, but in this film, he bends to their hate and is prepared to become what they all claim him to be when he heads off to face Batman.

One of the film's most momentous failures is that
    Superman's death and the reaction of the public to it isn't earned. Sure, he saved the day and people were happy, but if we had moments that showed us how the public was turning in his favor because he showed them how good of a person he was, it all would have felt more momentous. Imagine if they waited to tell this story after the JL had been formed and the world adored Superman? That funeral scene would have had earned emotion, and there wouldn't be a dry eye in any theater anywhere.

But they kill Superman before the public, the other heroes or even most of the audience connect to him, and they throw any emotional weight built by that moment away by showing us immediately afterward that he's alive and well.

There's so much stuff in this film that could be used to make some of the greatest comic book content in film, but it's never used properly. The lost potential of this film is haunting and I think the biggest pain it dishes out.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C0WXgZdwC4c"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    http://news.yahoo.com/box-office-batman-v-superman-hits-530-million-212802021.html

$530 after six days, negativity not this films Kryptonite.
    I am laughing this is awesome. It will make a billion
    Hope the film does very well, more so because of the hate and of course want more DC films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    of course want more DC films.

Wonder Woman.... ^:)^
    chrisisall wrote: »
    of course want more DC films.

Wonder Woman.... ^:)^
    Gal Gadot will own it.