Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It had a record-breaking drop in its very first weekend, its expected to drop significantly (and doubtfully have long-lasting legs), and it had, what, a roughly 90% drop in China in just a few days? Time will tell, but I don't see this hitting $1.5 billion at all.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Agreed the budgets are just astronomical. One of the reasons why Deadpool's financial success is so poignant is that it had a budget of about 60 million and made about 746 million WITHOUT a China release and is an R rated movie on a comparatively obscure comic book character.

What's BvS excuse?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,500
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Agreed the budgets are just astronomical. One of the reasons why Deadpool's financial success is so poignant is that it had a budget of about 60 million and made about 746 million WITHOUT a China release and is an R rated movie on a comparatively obscure comic book character.

What's BvS excuse?

The fact that it is Batman fighting Superman alone should've raised the inevitable total to $1.5 billion. How you cock that up is beyond me, and like I've stated before, I'm totally shocked that MoS released to mediocre reviews with a marginally "good" box office return...and then they went ahead and let Snyder helm this (not looking to have legs, abysmal reviews) AND the 'Justice League' movies. Then you have something like 'The Force Awakens' hitting $2 billion +, but each new installment in the trilogy brings in a different director.

Wow, just realized I'll be seeing this for my first time in two and a half hours. Wish me luck, I'll post some thoughts later on. I'm either going to love it (won't see all the good coming due to my expectations of it being feces after seeing all these negative reviews) or join that negative club and hate it alongside the majority of you. We'll see in a few hours. Thankfully, I'm not a die-hard comic book fan so I'm sure the biggest complaints most of you may have had won't be something I notice at all.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

What's BvS excuse?

Wow, Deadpool cost only 60 million??
    They seem to have some very talented people in the cost expenditure department!
    If only EON would hire them...
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Creasy47 wrote: »

What's BvS excuse?

The fact that it is Batman fighting Superman alone should've raised the inevitable total to $1.5 billion. How you cock that up is beyond me, and like I've stated before, I'm totally shocked that MoS released to mediocre reviews with a marginally "good" box office return...and then they went ahead and let Snyder helm this (not looking to have legs, abysmal reviews) AND the 'Justice League' movies. Then you have something like 'The Force Awakens' hitting $2 billion +, but each new installment in the trilogy brings in a different director.

Wow, just realized I'll be seeing this for my first time in two and a half hours. Wish me luck, I'll post some thoughts later on. I'm either going to love it (won't see all the good coming due to my expectations of it being feces after seeing all these negative reviews) or join that negative club and hate it alongside the majority of you. We'll see in a few hours. Thankfully, I'm not a die-hard comic book fan so I'm sure the biggest complaints most of you may have had won't be something I notice at all.

Exactly. WB for some reason keep giving they keys to Snyder when time and time again he's failed to deliver. His biggest hit is what, 300? The guy has a great eye for visuals but he's a terrible storyteller. He really messed up with this film and there just wasn't any excuse. WB dumped huge sums of money at him for this movie and agreed for him to direct the JL movie. Honestly, these sorts of fundamental issues that aren't tackled will not allow for the needed solutions to yield the results that benefit everyone.

It's definitely clear that an excellent marketing strategy, brand recognition, little to no competition isn't capable of trumping shoddy filmmaking. BvS should have been a crowd pleaser and it has failed.

Look forward to your feedback on this movie.

Wow, Deadpool cost only 60 million??
    They seem to have some very talented people in the cost expenditure department!
    If only EON would hire them...

Lol yeah, it goes to show that when people know what they're doing and respect the material, their craft and their audience, everyone wins. Don't get me started on EoN and budgets, just thinking about it is going to get me riled up. They definitely need a lesson in money/budgetary management.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If Warner expected this to make over a billion, they overestimated their chances. I think Suicide Squad has more potential to reach the 1 billion mark.
    I loved it... Seeing it again tomorrow with the wife and I am curious if all of this discussion will faint my view or not.

I just don't get the issues nor do I get how Iron Man 3 (one of the worst superhero films) made a billion dollars sigh
    This is what the WB execs and shareholders are experiencing right now

Joker-Burning-Money.gif
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I loved it too. Second viewing tonight.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Risico007 wrote: »
    nor do I get how Iron Man 3 (one of the worst superhero films) made a billion dollars sigh
    RDJ.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    I've always been a big proponent of MoS, actually.

One thing I can't stand about it, however, is Pa Kent. In both MoS and BvS he gives Clark advice that is downright horrible. All his stories or talks with Clark end with him telling Clark to either hide his powers and let innocent people die to protect himself, or he gives an example of how using your abilities to help people only ends up causing harm to others, so you're better off not trying anyway. Not exactly father of the year material, and the antithesis of every Pa Kent I hold dear. It's a common theme in the Snyderverse, actually.

What were your thoughts on this, @BondJasonBond006? I love Costner, but what he was given to work with was rubbish.

Pa Kent is just one of so many reasons MoS is a mess.
    I love Costner as well, but he just behaves like an imbecile in MoS because he's written that way.
    And don't get me started on the death scene of Pa Kent, it is so beyond belief that Clark wouldn't save him in that situation, there is enough time even for him to "run" there without getting the spectators suspicious. That scene made me angry again.
    His appearance in BvS was unnecessary and very, very badly done.
    I've always been a big proponent of MoS, actually.

One thing I can't stand about it, however, is Pa Kent. In both MoS and BvS he gives Clark advice that is downright horrible. All his stories or talks with Clark end with him telling Clark to either hide his powers and let innocent people die to protect himself, or he gives an example of how using your abilities to help people only ends up causing harm to others, so you're better off not trying anyway. Not exactly father of the year material, and the antithesis of every Pa Kent I hold dear. It's a common theme in the Snyderverse, actually.

What were your thoughts on this, @BondJasonBond006? I love Costner, but what he was given to work with was rubbish.

Pa Kent is just one of so many reasons MoS is a mess.
    I love Costner as well, but he just behaves like an imbecile in MoS because he's written that way.
    And don't get me started on the death scene of Pa Kent, it is so beyond belief that Clark wouldn't save him in that situation, there is enough time even for him to "run" there without getting the spectators suspicious. That scene made me angry again.
    His appearance in BvS was unnecessary and very, very badly done.

Precisely. This supports how Snyder just is not a good story teller. So many of his characters behave nonsensically. It's ironic, when MoS suffered in its second weak due to facing actual competition from the likes of world war z and Pixar it was one of the reasons WB/DC scrapped the idea of a solo superman sequel and to have batman thrown in there and take the lead in the title...now look, BvS has no competition and is dropping harder than MoS did after its second week. It's crazy.
    China Box Office ‏@ChinaBoxOffice 1h1 hour ago ZOOTOPIA earned more today on its 5th Sat ($5.0M/$212.6M total) than BATMAN V SUPERMAN did on its 2nd ($4.9M/$80.2M)
    China Box Office ‏@ChinaBoxOffice 1h1 hour ago ZOOTOPIA earned more today on its 5th Sat ($5.0M/$212.6M total) than BATMAN V SUPERMAN did on its 2nd ($4.9M/$80.2M)
    The only good news is that Zack won't be let near this franchise again.
    I hope you're right but for some reason Snyder is a darling over at WB.
    Money talks and Snyder walks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Someone get Bruce Timm and Paul Dini to trash the place and start things over the RIGHT way.
    Yep Timm and Dini KNOW their Superman and Batman....and how to make them likeable.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    People are going through this film, not with a comb or a pair of tweezers, but instead with an electron microscope, looking for any issue over which to trash the film. This is entertainment, spectacle, comic book fun! Now we're treating it like the next Fincher or Linklater, going deep and detailed. This is not that film, folks. One third of it is action and OTT spectacle, one third is comic book "cool" with superheroes in cool suits and cool references to the DC universe, and one third is about character motivations and plot. I see a few cracks in that final third, but not enough to make me hate on the film. And that's a good thing too, or I couldn't possibly be a James Bond fan. Half of the Bond films have more issues than BvS...
    The bashing of this film is getting tiresome, starting to think there is a agenda at work here. No film in memory has been dissected like this, its getting ridiculous and it appears like click bate to me.
    The bashing of this film is getting tiresome, starting to think there is a agenda at work here. No film in memory has been dissected like this, its getting ridiculous and it appears like click bate to me.
    If you were a Superman: The Movie fan on MY level, you'd be dissecting too.
    :))
    I think I'm going to skip seeing Batman v Superman in theaters. I might rent it, but I didn't particularly care to watch it. I don't go to the theater that often. So far I've only seen one movie this year in a theater. Typically only see 3-6 or so.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    If you were a Superman: The Movie fan on MY level, you'd be dissecting too.
    :))
    Ha ha I love Superman The Movie, though I am open minded to the countless iterations of Sup and Bats. I am happy to look at different interpretations of each character, truth is the hate for this film is getting venomous, no film deserves such a bashing.
    Not to this extent.
    I entered with a curious attitude after having been so negative about it, and I my gut feeling was right: what an awful, awful movie. I take solace in the fact that in knowing that, I now never, ever have to watch that movie again. This is coming from a general lover of film, too, someone totally detached from comic books and superhero lore.

Only positive I had: Affleck makes a great Batman.

Also couldn't wrap my head around people complaining about Batman slaughtering "so many people," when he only actually kills about five. Is this "so many people" to some?
    Sorry to hear you didn't like it @Creasy47- you were one of the last guys to get to see it and I was curious of your opinion.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, have you considered seeing it again, or was the movie 'one and done' for you?

There have been movies in the past that I've ben looking forward to a movie for sooooo long, felt positively about right after, then once the excitement wore off I'd realize the movie wasn't any good. (The Phantom Menace, for example)
    I'm happy to say I still like BvS as much as when I left the theatre! I thought the movie had balls, and I applauded that they didn't hold the audiences hand. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it again. The last movie I saw twice in the theatre was The Force Awakens- it doesn't happen too often.

Batfleck ruled- I'm ashamed to say that I was cautious of his casting in the beginning!
    edited April 2016 Posts: 40,500
    I had high hopes that my expectations were so low that I would be pleasantly surprised; alas, wasn't the case. These types of movies just aren't for me anymore - which is fine, I can understand that there's a huge interest in them. I'm also not sure what I missed that people attribute to the movie having "balls." Do you mean the Capitol scene? I did think, while it was obvious what was going to happen, it played well in having a great impact...until they cut away and didn't bother bringing it up again aside from a throwaway line. The movie was VERY good at doing that, injecting scenes that felt out of place or simply not discussing something that was left open-ended. Movie could've definitely done without Lois Lane, what purpose she served is beyond me.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I absolutely hated the final battle between The Big Three and Doomsday. Like MOS: horrible CGI, poor editing and grossly amateur camera work. It is in those segments (this goes for the Marvel films to), where my eyes glaze over and my mind sort of shuts down.
    The final battle in Age Of Ultron was very much like that for me...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    In the end, I surprised myself. I left the theater happy, after entering it with a huge negative attitude.
    Extremely low expectations can sometimes elevate a film for me.
    Funny thing was, back in 1978 I had no expectations whatsoever for Superman- I only went because I thought The Omen was rather well directed. And I was blown away for the second time in my life (The first being Star Wars).
    Anyway, I'm happy you had a good time with it; I'm sure I'll feel very similar when I get around to it.
    That's how I was with MoS: no interest, don't like Superman, don't really care for it, trailers did nothing to impress me, figured it'd be garbage, and I went with my girlfriend at the time on opening night and loved it.