Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @DarthDimi

I'm still torn about the whole affair. But I won't complain anymore for now :)
    Actually I'm glad that so many here like BvS that much. And I might change my opinion once I see the Ultimate Cut.
    In the mean time I stick with my beloved DC Animated Universe.
    Just watching Justice League: The New Frontier :) to soothe my soul :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,646
    @Thunderfinger, @00Agent, @DaltonCraig007, thanks guys. I wasn't thinking too hard about structuring my thoughts so it's probably more like a random collection of thoughts but yeah, I'm a firm believer that all incarnations of Batman - so far - have had their merits, and that includes the campy B&R one. The only thing I don't like is when Batman isn't Bruce Wayne, which is why I never got into Batman Beyond and such. Still, I know some people love it and I'm perfectly fine with that.

@BondJasonBond006, look if you dislike the film, go ahead sir, I won't stop you. ;-) I merely wanted to give you a few reason to possibly reconsider at least some of the arguments you use. :) Also, I myself love about half of the DC Animated Universe. I was never too big in the JLA stuff but what Jay Oliva, Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery have done with Year One, Dark Knight Returns and other film, is absolutely stunning. You have no idea how I'm looking forward to The Killing Joke. :)

About that, here's what Wiki says:
    In 2011, during Comic-Con, actor Mark Hamill stated that he would be willing to voice the Joker for an adaption of The Killing Joke, encouraging fans to campaign for said adaptation, most notably in a tweet made on October 24, 2011. Since then, a Facebook page titled "Petition to get Mark Hamill to play the Joker in animated Killing Joke" has been set up by his fans. In 2013, Bruce Timm also expressed a desire to create the project, saying it was only a possibility. On July 10, 2015, during the Justice League: Gods and Monsters panel at San Diego Comic-Con, Bruce Timm announced that an animated film based on the novel is in development and slated to be released in 2016. Sam Liu will direct and Timm will executive produce the film. The film will feature a 15-minute prologue that sets up the story. On July 17, Hamill tweeted that he hoped that he would be contacted to reprise his role as the Joker. On July 27, Collider reported that Hamill will voice The Joker in the film. Warner Bros. has reportedly given the filmmakers the go-ahead to make the film rated R. On March 14, 2016, Hamill's Batman: The Animated Series castmates, Kevin Conroy and Tara Strong, were confirmed to play Batman and Barbara Gordon respectively, alongside Ray Wise as Commissioner Gordon.

I'm soooo excited!
    @DarthDimi

Oh yes, The Killing Joke!

I have already pre-ordered the thing inclusive toy figurine of the Joker from amazon :)

Also pre-ordered Justice League vs Teen Titans steelbook and Batman Bad Blood with Nightwing as toy figurine.

Thank you for that text, can't wait now to get my hands on that movie!
    @Darthdimi good assessment, everything has to evolve.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    She is great in BvS, love her mannerisms. Strong sexy woman, great casting.
    I am looking more forward to this any other DC movie. It might equal the Captain America flicks!!
    Like the fact they are starting back in WW1, like the Victorian period and early post Victorian. First Avenger, Rocketeer, The Shadow, Indy benefitted greatly existing around that period.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I can't wait for The Killing Joke. It'll feel like an even darker version of the BTAS universe! I never want to face a day when Kevin and Mark are done voicing these characters. They've practically raised me on their work without even knowing it, and to see them still so involved in projects like this is thrilling.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Nice assessment @DarthDimi. I agree.

I haven't read the comics in years, so I'm not aware of all the iterations and changes to the characters etc. Sometimes I'm surprised to read comments here about Spiderman dying in a comic, or even the Batman graphic novels which I'm unfamiliar with. So my comic book 'perspective' is frozen in time unlike many here, and then further molded & shaped by the film and tv iterations of the character that have come since. They have all been different, and I've liked some more than others as can be expected.

I'm not the biggest fan of Supes as a character (I remember childhood arguments with friends vividly, where I would defend Bats despite Supes overwhelming physical advantages).
    I am also not a fan of the first Superman film, nor Christopher Reeves in the role (I thought George Reeves and even Dean Caine looked more like the character from the comics than Christopher Reeves).
    As a result perhaps, I'm not as passionate about the character, & more forgiving of interpretations, including Cavill's dour take.
    As you noted, there's perhaps limited room to move the needle when it comes to Superman.

Batman is far more complex, and I'm a much bigger fan of the character.
    Even though I absolutely loved Keaton's portrayal, he certainly didn't look the part of the character (as depicted in the comics). I accepted that though. Neither did Kilmer, and his interpretation was quite different from Keaton's, as was Clooney's.
    Bale is still my go to guy for Batman. I think he captured Wayne's struggles perfectly, but he benefited from expert direction from Nolan & great stories.
    I was and am willing to cut Affleck's iteration some slack in BvS, because of the nature of the film it is (namely a complex ensemble).
    I am likely to be less forgiving when the standalone Batman film with Affleck is released because the focus will be entirely on 'his universe'.
    I remain confident that any major concerns & fears I have will be addressed.
    Affleck himself is rumoured to have penned a script for it.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432

Not sure if this has been posted, its funny. Sadfleck...
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

I loved that clip so much, i just feel some people have read too much into it.
    I saw the orignial clip and he was in a good mood but simply dead tired.

If you want to see a more honest reaction of him about the critics, watch this.
    At around 1:16 they start talking about his take on batman and the critics

• edited April 2016 Posts: 6,432
    00Agent wrote: »

I loved that clip so much, i just feel some people have read too much into it.
    I saw the orignial clip and he was in a good mood but simply dead tired.

If you want to see a more honest reaction of him about the critics, watch this.
    At around 1:16 they start talking about his take on batman and the critics

Its been manipulated somewhat, I loved the film though can see the funny side :) Very true the amount of promotional stuff for a movie this size will be exhausting, change of time zones etc.
    Watched Man Of Steel tonight

I've only seen it at the cinema. I actually thought it was quite disappointing back then.
    Now (after BvS) I realise how truly bad MoS is.
    Goyer and Snyder obviously decided to do an episode of Chronicles Of Riddick and mix some Superman in it. The visuals are just copied from Riddick and you expect Vin Diesel to pop in any second.
    Lois Lane is just annoying, she is just nosy and there is no romance.
    The plot is all over the place like in BvS, back and forth and back and forth with flashbacks, visions etc.
    It's another boring aliens invading Earth story, so unoriginal.
    The first 60 minutes are ok-ish, thanks to great visuals, even if it all looks like Riddick.
    But as soon as Zod appears to invade Earth it becomes stupid and plot holes as big as Manhattan appear.

Having seen Superman Returns the other day I now see how good that version was and Brandon Routh was so much better.

A shame how the cinematic legacy of Supes gets treated by DC now. My only hope is that Supes will have a small part in JL.
    At least it looks like Goyer/Terrio got WW and Batfleck right. Let's hope they do the same for The Flash, Cyborg etc.

I've only seen it at the cinema. I actually thought it was quite disappointing back then.
    Goyer and Snyder obviously decided to do an episode of Chronicles Of Riddick and mix some Superman in it. The visuals are just copied from Riddick and you expect Vin Diesel to pop in any second.
    The plot is all over the place like in BvS, back and forth and back and forth with flashbacks, visions etc.
    The first 60 minutes are ok-ish, thanks to great visuals, even if it all looks like Riddick.
    But as soon as Zod appears to invade Earth it becomes stupid and plot holes as big as Manhattan appear.

Having seen Superman Returns the other day I now see how good that version was and Brandon Routh was so much better.

A shame how the cinematic legacy of Supes gets treated by DC now. My only hope is that Supes will have a small part in JL.
    At least it looks like Goyer/Terrio got WW and Batfleck right. Let's hope they do the same for The Flash, Cyborg etc.

Think you watched a different film to me.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've always been a big proponent of MoS, actually.

One thing I can't stand about it, however, is Pa Kent. In both MoS and BvS he gives Clark advice that is downright horrible. All his stories or talks with Clark end with him telling Clark to either hide his powers and let innocent people die to protect himself, or he gives an example of how using your abilities to help people only ends up causing harm to others, so you're better off not trying anyway. Not exactly father of the year material, and the antithesis of every Pa Kent I hold dear. It's a common theme in the Snyderverse, actually.

What were your thoughts on this, @BondJasonBond006? I love Costner, but what he was given to work with was rubbish.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Think you watched a different film to me.

Same here. I like it more and more as time goes by. And I honestly doubt they used Riddick as a reference, although I'm sure @BondJasonBond006 wasn't serious with that one.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    This film is crashing and sinking. Its predicted to drop at 70% with NO competition a week after Easter! That's terrible.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,694
    According to boxofficemojo, BvS is only $3 million behind Iron Man 3 in comparison to the first 7 days.

I was reminded a bit of Riddick in the Krypton sets in MoS. It also reminded me a bit of Asgard in Thor.
    According to boxofficemojo, BvS is only $3 million behind Iron Man 3 in comparison to the first 7 days.

The problem for this movie is that it's had and has no competition and people are on holiday from schools etc. It should be doing much much better. I knew this film was going to be front loaded but where one of its strategies served as both a strength and as a weakness was releasing this movie everywhere all at the same time. There aren't any new markets to draw money from.

This film may just end up doing spectre numbers and that's a massive failure. Batman and Superman together for the first time on cinema screens and the not only is the film terrible but WOM is really getting traction and hurting this film. Audiences are largely not liking this film at all.
    Didn't Iron Man 3 & Ultron drop around 70% on the 2nd Friday as well though?

Keep in mind that DC is not really all that hot right now. MoS didn't really set the world on fire, and it was 'Part 1',so this performance is not all that bad so far.

If it can pull in around $375m stateside that should be enough to call it successful enough, given the ridiculous premise (imho) they had to work with (combining Superman and Batman in one movie was always going to hurt Batman, given he is better operating in a much darker universe).
    bondjames wrote: »
    combining Superman and Batman in one movie was always going to hurt Batman, given he is better operating in a much darker universe

@bondjames

I couldn't agree more. This is one of the reasons I never gravitated towards JLA all that much, despite my Batman fandom. I prefer Batman tied to Gotham. I know a lot of people feel that way, which is why JLA seems like a tougher sell than Avengers anyway.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    combining Superman and Batman in one movie was always going to hurt Batman, given he is better operating in a much darker universe

@bondjames

I couldn't agree more. This is one of the reasons I never gravitated towards JLA all that much, despite my Batman fandom. I prefer Batman tied to Gotham. I know a lot of people feel that way, which is why JLA seems like a tougher sell than Avengers anyway.

The whole BvS was a stupid idea anyway.
    They should have made a solo Batfleck movie then a JL movie. WW could have had her minutes in a solo Batfleck movie as well, maybe that would have worked better even.

JL will be hurt by BvS that's for sure and it's a crying shame.

JLA doesn't have to be a tough sell. If they can all have equal screen time it will work fine. I'm just worried it will only be another Supes vehicle featuring some other heroes. Oh God, what am I saying...really I so hope I am wrong.
    I think its a case that BvS shouldn't be experiencing such a drop when it has no competition.

If the film was genuinely good and better received as it should have been this film would be doing a lot better. This film was even delayed a year to "perfect" it; whichever way it gets looked at I think this film is definitely a disappointment as far as WB should be concerned.
    Variety reported that WOM was crippling in China due to the film being too dark tone and dropped from #1 to #4.

Quote:
    “Batman v Superman” was expected to benefit from being the biggest Hollywood superhero movie released in China since midway through last year. But with a tone than is darker than ideal for mainstream Chinese audiences the DC Comics adaptation earned modest reviews and weak word of mouth.
    http://variety.com/2016/film/asia/ba...ce-1201744114/
    It's reported BvS is expected to have a massive 69 percent drop in takings for second week:

http://deadline.com/2016/04/batman-v-superman-box-office-second-weekend-gods-not-dead-2-1201729796/

Holy box office flop, Batman!

;))

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited April 2016 Posts: 543
    The whole BvS was a stupid idea anyway.
    They should have made a solo Batfleck movie then a JL movie. WW could have had her minutes in a solo Batfleck movie as well, maybe that would have worked better even.
    I don't think the BvS idea was stupid, if anything, it was the reason I was looking forward to this movie. It was just a bit of a letdown despite all the hype leading up to it to have a fight that was really short and that didn't have much of a build up.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman movies need to be bright, hopeful, and a bit funny.
    That said this movie will be successful, just not the wild hit they wanted.
    Look, they passed half a billion dollars in their first week. If they can scrape another 200 million or so from the bottom of the barrel, they've got a success. Then home video will make them a small fortune. And when enough clout is built for Suicide Squad, it will give sales of MoS and BvS another boost. Bottom line, it will be hugely profitable all things considered. And unlike Titanic, it is part of a growing series. Think of all the box-sets, superspecial this or that editions and whatnot that will be released. And as with Star Wars, we will dig deep and throw up the money.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Look, they passed half a billion dollars in their first week. If they can scrape another 200 million or so from the bottom of the barrel, they've got a success. Then home video will make them a small fortune. And when enough clout is built for Suicide Squad, it will give sales of MoS and BvS another boost. Bottom line, it will be hugely profitable all things considered. And unlike Titanic, it is part of a growing series. Think of all the box-sets, superspecial this or that editions and whatnot that will be released. And as with Star Wars, we will dig deep and throw up the money.

I think that's overstating things.

You need to consider that Batman and Superman are 2 of the 3 biggest iconic superhero names in the world; the third being spider-man; but Batman and Superman have the novelty of appearing on screen for the first time ever cinematically and serves as the true catalyst to kickstart the DCEU. On principle alone, this film should be killing it and it's that very same principle that scored them over half a billion in under a week...BUT...a bad product is a bad product and this film isn't resonating positively with critics and audiences alike and with no competition whatsoever and the fact that people have the time off to see this movie, the numbers are shockingly low and that's because people don't like it.

The fact that WB has to rely on suicide squad and wonder woman to hopefully steer the DCEU somewhat on course is all kinds of messed up. DC's trinity of supes, bats and WW failed to achieve the success that WB were striving for so now they're looking to a bunch of batman villains teaming up and wonder woman to fix things? I mean seriously, that's not even fair for these 2 movies to carry such a burden, especially WW to carry such pressure as the first big female superhero movie.

MoS failed to ignite and really set things on fire and the same is happening with BvS which had too high a budget in the first place. Results critically and financially are an immediate want and need for WB...just look at what Sony did with SP, leaving it in cinemas for an embarrassingly long time just to reach a domestic of 200million. Studios want results and figures that they can put up and show up at the BO now especially when trying to get a cinematic universe off the ground and to compete with Marvel. They do not believe things to be hunky-dory or their situation to be worth bragging about after the theatrical run.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

It'll be seen as a bomb if that happens, though, as the movie needs roughly $850 million to start making a true profit. Sure, it'll soar in DVD/blu-ray sales and make it back eventually, but if this doesn't have legs, it could be seen as a dud even though it makes $700-800 million. It's why the budgets for certain movies are way too big.
    Anything under 1.5 billion will be disappointing for Warner/DC.
    Anything under 1 billion will be a disaster for them.
    It's that simple.