Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    In real life, people will disappoint you. Maybe this was a bit too "realistic"?

What would Rachel say?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Because this world is so soul-sucking and demoralizing, it's important to have films like this with heroes who rise to a better standard and give us that hope back, no matter how fictional the comic book content. People can call it corny as much as they want, but Batman and Superman save lives every day just by being there on film, TV and the comic page for kids who need them just because they exist. Batman has given immense meaning to my life and influenced who I am in many ways, and I wouldn't be the same person without the imaginative and compelling outlet he has always provided to me.

I should've left this film feeling what I've always felt about these characters: love, hope and respect. I didn't exit feeling hopeful or connected to these "heroes" at all, however. I felt dejected, appalled, melancholic and lost beyond imagination. That tells me quite clearly that something big went wrong here, and I've outlined just what those big issues are more times than I care to express in the past few days.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This is your DC Brosnan era.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

For me, this is the Bond equivalent of how I feel about some of the Moore era. Which basically amounts to me shouting at the screen, "no, that's not Bond. No, why is he doing that! No!!!" Or something like that.

And yet, I can enjoy and appreciate the Moore films, whereas I want this film wiped from my memory.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can understand your complaints to a certain degree, but why do you come up with them now? I find that BvS has more interesting things to say to the young people of today than Christopher Nolans amateurish psychoanalytical and in the end rather pretentious approach.
    Also, I understand that comic books re-imagine their heroes time and time again, so how can you base your expectation for films on a restricted number of interpretations?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Actually the similarities between Skyfall and BvS are staggering.

From the clownesque annoying parody of a villain to the dreary depressive undertone it's all there.
    Plot holes galore in both movies and totally against character in many cases.
    And there is a lot more actually.

From the clownesque annoying parody of a villain to the dreary depressive undertone it's all there.
    You mean that after 30 years Bond is again at a place where other films try to be like Bond-films ;-)?

boldfinger wrote: »

You mean that after 30 years Bond is again at a place where other films try to be like Bond-films ;-)?

You can look at it that way of course :P
    doesn't make them better though.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Because this world is so soul-sucking and demoralizing, it's important to have films like this with heroes who rise to a better standard and give us that hope back, no matter how fictional the comic book content. People can call it corny as much as they want, but Batman and Superman save lives every day just by being there on film, TV and the comic page for kids who need them just because they exist. Batman has given immense meaning to my life and influenced who I am in many ways, and I wouldn't be the same person without the imaginative and compelling outlet he has always provided to me.

I should've left this film feeling what I've always felt about these characters: love, hope and respect. I didn't exit feeling hopeful or connected to these "heroes" at all, however. I felt dejected, appalled, melancholic and lost beyond imagination. That tells me quite clearly that something big went wrong here, and I've outlined just what those big issues are more times than I care to express in the past few days.

Great comment! For what it's worth, and given how strongly you feel about Batman v Superman, you should sent it as an email to DC Comics or Warner Bros. If people complain about the dark tone of the film the studio may reconsider their direction for future films.

Arguably the most iconic Batman story of them all is The Dark Knight Returns. That is dark, depressing!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    fanbond123 wrote: »

Great comment! For what it's worth, and given how strongly you feel about Batman v Superman, you should sent it as an email to DC Comics or Warner Bros. If people complain about the dark tone of the film the studio may reconsider their direction for future films.

Arguably the most iconic Batman story of them all is The Dark Knight Returns. That is dark, depressing!

I don't have an issue with the tone or darkness of BvS; I actually prefer it. What I can't stand is how the characters are portrayed, because they are unrecognizable many times throughout the film to the so called comic book characters Snyder attests that they're based on.

Even TDKR, with its tone and often crippling melancholia, offers its own sense of hope. Of man overcoming impossible odds (or gods!), and of old heroes finding their way out of the darkness and back on the paths they were destined for, even in old age. It reminds me of the final lines of Tennyson's Ulysses, with Bruce acting in place of Odysseus. He's aged, worn and tested by time, but willing to continue on despite those challenges to do what he deems worthy.

There's a certain ring of hope seeing Bruce at the end of TDKR, rebuilding with the Sons of Batman in the old cave. As if just knowing Batman is still out there, somewhere in the world, is enough.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    doubleoego wrote: »

Thanks for that find and posting it in both places.

The Batfleck stuff is working great in BvS and I too do hope Affleck will continue this path in his solo Batfleck movie :)
    The solo film for Affleck's Batman should just be a ten minute short where he goes to all the hideouts of all his rogues and shoots them all in the head. Nothing else makes sense now with how they've chosen to portray him.

How he's in Suicide Squad and doesn't kill Joker outright is going to be one of the most implausible parts of that film too.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I can understand your complaints to a certain degree, but why do you come up with them now? I find that BvS has more interesting things to say to the young people of today than Christopher Nolans amateurish psychoanalytical and in the end rather pretentious approach.

Yes, it has very good scores amongst teenagers, while adults don't like it. Interesting.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The solo film for Affleck's Batman should just be a ten minute short where he goes to all the hideouts of all his rogues and shoots them all in the head. Nothing else makes sense now with how they've chosen to portray him.

How he's in Suicide Squad and doesn't kill Joker outright is going to be one of the most implausible parts of that film too.

I don't know about that. There's something about Batman and the Joker... something complementary in a way. According to some comic book lines, they instinctively feel that they need each other so while they seem to be doing their best to catch each other off guard, they also don't want to hand out that fatal blow...

I'm still contemplating the events of TDKReturns for example.
    Joker kills himself
    and it's easy to see it as something that Batman is perfectly comfortable with. However, I'm not so sure. When he yells something like, "stop laughing!",
    to Joker's dead corpse
    I often wonder if he accepts defeat but struggles with that nonetheless.
    Like a part of him died with Joker too.

In Kevin Smith's Batman comics, the same dynamic is played out, where Joker and Batman have this conversation in which Batman tells Joker
    he can't kill him, regardless of his personal ethics, simply because he 'needs' Joker to be Batman
    and is then astonished to learn that
    Joker would have no problem killing him, or so he claims.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it now. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Or maybe I'm reading too much into it now. :)
    Reading into our fictional obsessions only enriches them for us on an individual level.
    :x
    It's been played out ad nauseam in comics that heroes need villains to exist, but Batman isn't happy about keeping Joker around. He wants nothing more than to kill him and stop the untold dangers he will surely pose later, but he realizes that once he crosses that line, he could lose himself for good.

Batman doesn't need Joker; no hero needs their villain. Every hero I know would love it if they didn't have to do what they do each night, heading out to fight a crime wave that always strikes back destructively in their direction. They want nothing more than for things to quiet so that the place and people they are trying to protect stay safe.

Joker in the best adaptations, though, does need Batman, or in general, likes having him around. He likes to feel that important, and is known to try and show Batman that he gets him more than anyone else could ever hope to. He loves playing mind games, getting inside Batman's head and toying with him, or presenting him with certain philosophies that he tries to use to discount Batman's supreme code.

In The Dark Knight, for example, he wants nothing more than to do what he and Batman are doing forever. He spends the entire film facing run of the mill gangbangers, but Batman presents an excitement to him from that banality, and he's also someone who he clashes with so perfectly, an equivalent order to his rampant chaos, that the fun of planning against him could never get old.

In The Dark Knight Returns, Joker kills himself just to give Batman one last middle finger and to do an act that he thinks will frame and implicate Batman in his death and send the police after him once and for all. Again, a perfect example of Joker caring so much about Batman that he is willing to go to his death just to prove his point against him.

Batman, when around, is the most important thing in Joker's universe, and the most exciting drug he knows, because he thrills and challenges him in ways no other person can, especially for his strict code. Batman on the other hand, wants nothing more than for Joker to die, but knows that the second he kills him he tarnishes the promise he made on his parent's graves and the trust he put in Gordon to play things on the edge of that moral line, never going over it.

There's no other way to interpret Batman's feelings about Joker that makes any sense. And again, if Batman is so willing to kill a room full of thugs who pose no immediate threat to him as he does in BvS, what are his chances logically for sparing a man like Joker who has killed untold numbers of people he and his allies love more than life itself, in addition to other casualties against people he's never even met? Joker is the man responsible, apparently, for why he is the monster he is in this film and so broken, so again, why would he spare him the next time they meet? Every second this Batman and Joker are in the same room with each other in the future, the more this "hero" loses all credibility and sense, if there's any left to him post BvS.

Snyder and his team shot the feet of all future writers big time on this one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow Brady, this whole thing has you pretty wound up!
    Chill & watch a heroic Batfilm to regenerate, my friend! B-)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 28,694
    When something I'm this passionate about gets threatened with this level of slapdashery by people who claim to "get" the characters, I have to speak up. I truly commend everyone who can stomach what this movie does to our heroes, but in truth it haunts me. I've been a Batman fan since around the time I could walk and spent my years before I began my schooling running around in 90 degree weather in a Batman suit my mother stitched up for me, pouring all of myself into him and his world. I know when his character and what he stands for is being tarnished, and during this film I literally felt my insides turn over on themselves. I can't downplay that; it's impossible to.

It's just a shame where these next ten years may be headed, with a Batman who deserves to be locked up in Arkham with all the villains he used to fight and somehow hasn't killed yet. Batman the animated series sparked a golden age for this character post Miller's landmark 80s run with the character, which led to what is for me an unmatched interpretation of the character who we see develop in Batman: The Animated Series, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited and a myriad of other shows and animated features therein. I was the lucky bastard who grew up on this Batman, one that still resonates with me as the 100% best take on this character we've ever had the privilege to see. A second golden age came around 2005. Nolan's films gave us a proper onscreen Batman who dealt with important and complex issues of morality, and in 2009, the Batman Arkham games also began, concluding this year with Batman: Arkham Knight. These games offered me a chance to finally play Batman, to swoop in and neutralize goons from gargoyles above and fight like the bat in the best combat system in memory as I protected the people of Gotham in ways that felt both important and poignant.

And now, after those magical two eras of Batman stories, films and games, we've got this Batman, who we'll see in untold numbers of sequels that I can't ever get behind, no matter how much people try to scramble to explain why it's okay for him to do what he does in this film. Another big change is that I've always hated Batman adaptations from afar. I never experienced the releases of Burtons' films, because I wasn't alive at the time to see them and soak them in, but I know that if I was, I wouldn't have liked them knowing what I do now about the character. The same is true for Schumacher's films, which became a sad joke and insult as I grew old enough to see them for what they were. The true pain of BvS and this new DCCU is that, for the first time in my entire Batman-loving life, I am experiencing firsthand and in the moment a version of the character I can't stand and one I now have to live with, and honestly, it's the worst feeling imaginable.

@chrisisall, I've been watching Daredevil to calm down, a brilliant show that only serves to make this film look even shoddier in comparison, and I'll be heading back to watch some of my favorite Batman shows to reconnect with him in adaptations where he acts like a true hero, without weapons or killing. The Batman just got released on Netflix, which has me really excited to dip back into it. I know it's not super well loved, but I've always had a respect and appreciation for it. Hopefully they'll all help this funk to pass.

All I want to do is call up Kevin Conroy and record him saying with that perfect voice, "everything will be all right, Brady, this pain will pass," so that I can keep playing it over and over each day from this point onward.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Brady, I agree with you regarding Batman. I enjoyed the film for the most part, but could not agree with Batman's choice to kill. He broke his moral code, which ruins the character for me. As Kevin Conroy explains in the below video, Batman always used his intelligence to win the battles, always avoiding the kill.

Here is a message from Batman himself:

https://facebook.com/BTAS/videos/985542071482856/

If you close your eyes, you can hear Bruce in the beginning, with Batman in the end!
    Brady, I agree with you regarding Batman. I enjoyed the film for the most part, but could not agree with Batman's choice to kill. He broke his moral code, which ruins the character for me. As Kevin Conroy explains in the below video, Batman always used his intelligence to win the battles, always avoiding the kill.

Here is a message from Batman himself:

https://facebook.com/BTAS/videos/985542071482856/

If you close your eyes, you can hear Bruce in the beginning, with Batman in the end!

@WillardWhyte, yes, Kevin beautifully outlines what makes Batman so special, and why he's so important to generations of people, both young and old.

Some have argued that this Batman has just as many things to teach kids, if not more than other versions, but I find that contention more than a little asinine. The version of Batman that reigns supreme in our hearts and minds on the pages of the best comics and in the animated series is a man who shows us we can solve our problems with quick thinking, deliberation and cleverness, and that every decision we make should be treated with the utmost importance, especially if the result effects a number of people beyond ourselves. He teaches us to stand by our principles, no matter the challenges in our way, and to always stay true to who and what we believe in.

What does Affleck's Batman have to teach us? That we can shoot our problems away and shut off our brains in favor of deploying military grade weaponry? That we should give in to the negatives of the world and allow ourselves to become lost amidst the violence and decay, instead of remaining a sign of hope and stability for those around us? He is such an impressing character for youths that I shutter to think how some kids will react when they see Batman with a gun, going on patrol like a one-man death squad, plowing his way through men like he's the plague. It sends the wrong message and it's character infringement at best. The only thing he has to teach us is that this isn't how Batman should ever be portrayed.

As I've said before, I could stomach this massive creative liberty more if the film actually took the time to explore how and why Bruce kills now, but all we get are shots of him looking upset at Jason's suit with a flash of a news report talking for two seconds about the branding he's now taking up. There's no dialogue with Alfred where he makes his stance clear, and nobody, not his allies or the public question him or challenge him on it. Instead, we are left to be surprised the first time he kills someone, because Snyder took zero time out of the massive runtime of this film to actually show that this Batman was now unopposed to killing. Why it seemed to be so unimportant to him, I haven't the faintest idea, but it hardly helps what is an already troubled mess of a film get any sort of leg up.

If they'd played with the idea of Bruce being worn down by the world and how it'd driven him to stop pulling his punches, I wouldn't be so damn critical of this move. I'd still despise his character, but at least I couldn't say that the film hadn't set a precedent for this change in his character with concrete scenes that shined a spotlight on it. Instead, we get none of that, just another character hanging in the wind, their motivations wholly unexplored.
    Alright chaps. Just got back.
    I'm half asleep as I write this, so I hope the following makes sense. Was it Hemingway who said, 'write drunk/ proofread sober'? That sort of applies here, as I drank a hand full of Redbulls before the movie and now I'm crashing. I worked the super early shift and I'll be damned if I was going to doze off during the movie!! I hope I don't check what I wrote tomorrow and be like

q3iCWqE.gif

So here goes- initial thoughts immediately after my first viewing.

0Brady, I absolutely respect your opinion, but are you sure you saw the same movie I did? Your posts in particular prepared me for the absolute worst, yet I was *this* close to walking right back into that theatre and watching it again!
    If it means anything, I owe a debt to this forum: having heard many of the topics of debate beforehand (excluding spoiler tags- my will was strong for once) I knew to pay close attention to certain things. Regarding the whole
    Batman kills now controversy, there is indeed a scene near the beginning where Alfred points out that he's changed. This IS as close to a movie adaption to the 'Dark Knight Returns' Batman as we've ever seen,- in other words, this older, weary Batman didn't always kill. Also, 90% of the kills were from the dream sequence. As I continued watching the movie, I found that only the vehicular stuff showed 'real world' Bats potentially killing people. That is, until the warehouse brawl near the end of the movie. Batfleck clearly grabbed the arm of one of the thugs while he was firing and 'helped his aim' towards some of the other thugs. I'd like to see that part again, as it was pretty quick, but did they actually get shot... or was he shooting around them? I need to check that part again. Then with Flamethrower guy, yes, Batman is holding the assault rifle himself, but that scene is DIRECTLY taken from the comic, lines and all:
    Batman-Dark-Knight-Returns-02-064.jpgibelieveyou2.gif

Superman also wasn't nearly as bad as he was made out to be, by all the forum chatter. Even before the big Batman vs Superman fight, it was obvious that Supes tried to reason with Bruce first. Was Batman a dick for not hearing him out? Perhaps, but you must understand, they don't know each other-- they aren't 'superfriends' yet, lol. Superman is 'the bad guy' as far as Bats is concerned. Imagine if Bane or Riddler, etc tried to talk Batman out of fighting. He wouldn't listen to them either!

Lastly, I found no problem with the pace and the muddled plots in the beginning (though, again thanks to this forum, I heard it was a mess beforehand so I was paying extra close attention). The pace was so good in fact that when they first showed Batman in his armor my jaw dropped like "holy crap, we're at this point already??"

Well I'm off to bed now.
    I only hope my thoughts on the movie don't go the route of BondJasonBond006.... loving it one night and slowly hating it the more I reflect on it! ;)

As it stands currently in my mind, however, while obviously not a perfect movie, I'd give Batman V Superman a 7 out of 10, and I anxiously await the directors cut!
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    The films awesome, watching it again tonight. I think the directors cut will enhance the film further, July cant come quick enough. Sorry... Ultimate cut >:D<
    Like I said, The Batfleck stuff is great, I can't wait to lay my eyes on it again.
    But the Supes stuff, and sadly that's the bigger part of the movie is just downright bad if not catastrophically wrong.

I'm realising this even more now that I have re-watched several DC Animated stuff and Superman Returns.

I can only hope that this Supes will have a small part in JL. If he continues to be that whining depressing wuss there, it will be no good.

My rating for this movie at the moment is circa 7.2/10 which for a movie that features Batman is very, very, very low.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 5,767
    What I get from all this discussion is that a) it´s not so convenient to cling to idols, and b) watched as a film and not as an adaption of some source material this film rocks :-). I wasn´t sure before I went to see it, but now the more days pass, the more I want to see it again.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    What I get from all this discussion is that a) it´s not so convenient to cling to idols, and b) watched as a film and not as an adaption of some source material this film rocks :-). I wasn´t sure before I went to see it, but now the more days pass, the more I want to see it again.

That's why the movie still has such a high audience rating on Imdb and RT 7.4/7.3
    because a vast majority of the votes contain of pure 10s given by under 18 aged teenagers.
    They don't know anything about those Superheroes except their name and look, maybe they have seen TDK or TDKR maybe not even that. Snyder/Goyer/Terrio can dish them up whatever they want, they'll say yay as soon things explode or goons get killed.

Not saying here all are the same! Just speaking of the mainstream target group of 18 or younger.

I can decide to look at BvS the way you describe b) of course. Then it's ok, a mindless action celebration that doesn't make much sense but is good to watch if you want to turn off your brain.
    I like such movies too. Some of them are my favourites.

But this is Batman. I care.
    I care about Star Trek.
    I care about Bond.

If they fail them, I'm not pleased.
    @BondJasonBond006, I have a feeling that if there was ever a revolution waged against Snyder, Warner and DC for this film, you and I would be the two main leaders of the movement. I don't mean to be so negative, but I pride myself on honesty and as much as I hate to admit it, this film was a disappoint to me on every level. Like you, I care for these characters probably more than a normal person should, but that passion and obsession in equal measures makes me very fine tuned to see when something isn't working in a film, show or comic with these heroes, and here those red flags were constantly being raised. These characters are such icons and so deep and rich in the stories that could be told with them, and they sure as hell deserve a better universe to play in than what we have gotten thus far.

Now sure, this movie could be fun if you turned off your brain, but is that really a point in its favor? I mean, you could say that about any film under the sun, and only serves to suggest that it is a massive atrocity. "This movie is great, if, you know, you don't really think about it." I agree with why that argument just doesn't hold up with us here.

Further, is it really a compliment when the only way this film can really be any good is when you don't view it as what it is inherently, an adaption of characters these writers and filmmakers have told us they know backwards and forwards? They pretty spectacularly failed their mission statement here.

But again, even if this film had a Batman and Superman that acted like they would in the comics, it would still be such a disappointment. All the interesting content of the first half is dropped in favor of what feels like an entirely different movie leading into part 2, where things continue to gradually sink. The characters have weak or nonexistent motivations, all the promises of depth and thematic content we were promised by Snyder and shown in the trailers was a cheat, like the Congressional hearing, and the big fight, the big Batman V Superman brawl, was over so fast you wouldn't even be able to yell out the title of the film before it was done. To make matters worse, the fight, in the context of the film, didn't even have to happen. You can't tell me Superman couldn't just hold Batman down and tell him what he needed to tell him? Really? Or better yet, why couldn't he fly off and save Martha all on his own and leave Batman standing there like a dimwit beside the bat signal? Now that's a movie I'd see.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 10,588
    I'll be watching it again this weekend.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

That is definitly the best approach. Watch it with an open mind.

Going in there with preconceived notions about these characters and a sense of entitlement of what snyder is supposed to deliver you, will only destroy any enjoyment of the movie. Snyder clearly did his own take on these Characters and i like a lot of his choices, it will not take anything away from almost 80 years of comic book history

I can't stress enough that there are dozens of alternative takes on superheroes, in comics as well as animated movies and this should not be such a huge deal.
    What are stand out moments in the film for people?
    When Superman is in the Artic dragging the huge tanker for me was a awesome visual, a show of shear power on Supermans part.