Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

@JasonBond006 and @0BradyMBondfanatic7, I strongly disagree that BvS works when you turn your brain off. What I saw were very clear thoughts on those characters. That BvS still contains a lot of iconic images is only in Snyder´s favor.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    analysts say that even with some decline in ticket sales, the movie is heading for 925M global box office total:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/42185/-batman-v-superman-aims-for-925m-haul
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    What are stand out moments in the film for people?
    When Superman is in the Artic dragging the huge tanker for me was a awesome visual, a show of shear power on Supermans part.

True, but as many scenes it just felt thrown in for what purpose?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Batman in the desert. Loved his outfit.
    With all the talk of decline... they do realize Easter was Sunday right? Not much of a movie going sort of day.
    Last night my theatre was jam packed- 8pm on a Tuesday!
    With all the talk of decline... they do realize Easter was Sunday right? Not much of a movie going sort of day.
    Last night my theatre was jam packed- 8pm on a Tuesday!

I sure hope so, would be really bad if a noticeable decline would happen so soon.
    I still hope, despite all the negativity (ratings are still dropping) that it'll make 1.5 billion or more.
    It would be a shame if it was a financial disaster. I want DC to flourish at the cinema! There is so much that can be done with DC characters.
    When Superman is in the Artic dragging the huge tanker for me was a awesome visual, a show of shear power on Supermans part.

Trying to improve his public image. I thought that was more than obvious from the context.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    00Agent wrote: »
    analysts say that even with some decline in ticket sales, the movie is heading for 925M global box office total:

This movie might be seen as a bomb, of sorts, then, if it needs $850 million just to break even.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

This movie might be seen as a bomb, of sorts, then, if it needs $850 million just to break even.

first when i heard that i thought it is totaly BS, but now i remember that some studio guy from fox said that "amazing spiderman 2 had to break 1 billion to even be considered a success" or something. Needles to say it didn't.
    To me that sounds like the movie business is a total mess right now, how can they even plan like that? These people seem to have a serious gambling problem
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @00Agent, it's why no matter how many records these huge blockbusters break, the amount of money they make at the box office at the end of the day really isn't anything terribly impressive.

Its a visual representation of God/Hero/Saviour, my interpretation of the icy wastes evokes isolation also, the Sun rising being hope light emerging from darkness. What appears to be solar flares, representing other worldlyness. Just mounted and framed that particular print, its iconic.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020

Its a visual representation of God/Hero/Saviour, my interpretation of the icy wastes evokes isolation also, the Sun rising being hope light emerging from darkness. What appears to be solar flares, representing other worldlyness. Just mounted and framed that particular print, its iconic.

Sure, but if you blink twice or are still recovering from the overall mess that precedes it you miss it.
    There is way too much such stuff in it, short and it goes by fast, the weight of the scene it obviously should have, gets diminished.

I still hope for the Ultimate Cut to bring some order and reduced tempo to BvS. It is needed, desperately.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185

Good call, and you know what, since we are talking about it, i would throw "jesus christ carrying his cross" in there. Man of Steel had a lot of religious symbolism of that sort, and BvS sure was a continuation of that since Superman was suffering a lot, and obviously:
    He died at the end, sacrificing himself for humanity even though they just tried to blow him up with a nuke.... and he will be resurrected after 3 days by the look of it :D
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432

Good call, and you know what, since we are talking about it, i would throw "jesus christ carrying his cross" in there. Man of Steel had a lot of religious symbolism of that sort, and BvS sure was a continuation of that since Superman was suffering a lot, and obviously:
    He died at the end, sacrificing himself for humanity even though they just tried to blow him up with a nuke.... and he will be resurrected after 3 days by the look of it :D

The chain he is pulling also could be a representation of slave to humanity, struggle against oppression and discrimation. I think the film itself is incredibly dense with symbolism throughout.

An observation I have about the film is there is little if any exposition, which I am happy with. Though I think generally the expectation of main stream films is that things are spelt out to the audience.

@BondJasonBond006 My feeling is the ultimate cut will change peoples opinions on this film.

An observation I have about the film is there is little if any exposition, which I am happy with. Though I think generally the expectation of main stream films is that things are spelt out to the audience.

yes i agree, and now everyone is saying the plot is 'muddled' :-??
    That movie was perfectly constructed imho, even without the half hour that was cut.
    the movie Has already made 500 million globally it will make a billion
    Peter David's views on the movie :

peterdavid.net/2016/03/28/batman-vs-superman-review-with-major-spoilers/

In short : too much "Super", not much "Man".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Whoah, I'll take it as a general thumbs down....
    Actually it just dawned on me that Zac Snyder has become the Michael Bay in the comic book genre. And that's too bad.

What's way more positive, Ben Affleck is working on a script for his solo Batfleck movie which he also might direct. I'm so glad Goyer/Terrio will have nothing to do with that.
    I think Affleck knows he has to stay away from them and Snyder if he wants to be the best Batman ever.
    Actually it just dawned on me that Zac Snyder has become the Michael Bay in the comic book genre.
    Actually the comparison I thought of when I saw BvS was Snyder and Ridley Scott, and that´s rather good.

Still looking forward to an Affleck-directed Batfleck flic.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't help but be very entertained by Michael Bay films so I'm fine with the comparison. ;-)

Also, Affleck can't be the best Batman ever. That place is already taken:
    1D274907561104-today-keaton-batman-150107-01.today-inline-large.jpg

;-)
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Actually the comparison I thought of when I saw BvS was Snyder and Ridley Scott, and that´s rather good.

Another director i was thinking of a lot after BvS (and that one is probably more far fetched) is Stanley Kubrik. I also heard a couple reviewers on youtube drawing that comparisson.
    I don't necessarily mean how Kubrik shot his movies or told a story but rather how his movies made me feel, and think.

I found a lot of that in BvS.
    I have nothing against Michael Bay of course. But a DC comic book movie shouldn't feel like something Bay directed. That's the same as if Michael Bay would direct the next James Bond movie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have nothing against Michael Bay of course. But a DC comic book movie shouldn't feel like something Bay directed. That's the same as if Michael Bay would direct the next James Bond movie.
    We don't joke like that here on MI6 Community.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I can't help but be very entertained by Michael Bay films so I'm fine with the comparison. ;-)

Also, Affleck can't be the best Batman ever. That place is already taken:
    1D274907561104-today-keaton-batman-150107-01.today-inline-large.jpg

;-)

\m/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote: »

Another director i was thinking of a lot after BvS (and that one is probably more far fetched) is Stanley Kubrik. I also heard a couple reviewers on youtube drawing that comparisson.
    I don't necessarily mean how Kubrik shot his movies or told a story but rather how his movies made me feel, and think.

I found a lot of that in BvS.

Oh heavens, that's tragic. One of the absolute pioneers of filmmaking compared to a style over substance effort. I can hear dear old Stanley rolling in his grave as we speak. X_X
    Hm... I'm intrigued now. Because Kubrick is a pretty big deal for me and I just don't see it.

Oh heavens, that's tragic. One of the absolute pioneers of filmmaking compared to a style over substance effort. I can hear dear old Stanley rolling in his grave as we speak. X_X

You know whats funny? people said the same thing about Kubrik when 2001 came out. that movie was completely trashed by critics.

But i am not comparing those two.
    Kubrik was and is way above everyone else, he had balls of steel and did not care for anyones opinion, he made movies for himself entirely.
    In the era of multimillion dollar franchise movies, there will never be another guy like him.

I'm just saying that BvS had a punch to it, in it's themes and darkness that i missed for quite a while
    I follow your point, @00Agent, though you got me worried for a second there. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Hm... I'm intrigued now. Because Kubrick is a pretty big deal for me and I just don't see it.

There is nothing even remotely Kubrick or Scott in BvS.