Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Condorman on Netflix. Not watched this since the 80s.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    After some of the chat about John Wick 2, I rewatched John Wick again. Great
    Action movie, some brilliant fight action sequences. :)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Sicario (2015)

I saw this when it came out in the theatre and it blew me away.

This is my first time watching it since then, and it impressed the hell out of me again. Superb performances by all concerned (especially Emily Blunt, who really grounded the film in my view, as the shocked and disturbed observer of the mayhem around her). Benecio Del Toro is magnificent, as is Josh Brolin (one of my favourite actors right now).

Denis Villeneuve & Roger Deakins have done it again, by giving us incredible atmosphere, tension & grit, in combination with a superior Oscar nominated score by Johann Johannsson - this remains a top 5 film for 2015 for me.

This is what it's all about.

Highly recommended.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After some of the chat about John Wick 2, I rewatched John Wick again. Great
    Action movie, some brilliant fight action sequences. :)

Watched it again yesterday, as well. It's so good. Favorite scenes are either the first big action sequence, or the first few minutes he spends in the Red Circle. The choreography is insane.
    I love the attack on his house as the masked men arrive, and he starts taking them out.
    I love the attack on his house as the masked men arrive, and he starts taking them out.

That's the one I mentioned, especially watching him sit in wait in the darkness as they round corners and he takes a few out by surprise.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Just one off-topic question, fellas. Is there a Last TV Series you Watched? thread?
    Just one off-topic question, fellas. Is there a Last TV Series you Watched? thread?

Indeed there is, here you go!

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/151/last-tv-show-you-watched/p42
    Thank you! :)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames 'Sicario' is a superb film, and while you were watching it, I was seeing an equally brilliant movie about an ongoing conflict: 'The Kingdom', a 2007 thriller about US and Saudi Arabian collaboration against terrorist activity in the middle east. Directed by Peter Berg, produced by Michael Mann. Absolutely splendid, finally a movie from Hollywood that understands the middle east conflict. The final action sequence is out of this world: an intense close-quarters battle.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I've seen 'The Kingdom' many years back @DaltonCraig007. I agree, that's a great film. I have to watch it again.

'Sicario' to some extent reminds me of a tv show 'The Bridge' starring Diane Kruger (the US version). It's also about Mexican drug cartels.

It also reminds me (at least the raid does) of the Bin Laden raid at the end of 'Zero Dark Thirty'.

I'm so looking forward to a sequel for 'Sicario', but I hope Blunt is in it (although I doubt she will be). I really liked her character. I also hope she's in a Bond film one day. Brilliant actress, and very easy on the eyes.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames you remind me that I need to rewatch 'Hurt Locker' and 'Zero Dark Thirty'. Katheryn Bigelow would make a fantastic Bond film if EON ever signed her to direct.
    @DaltonCraig007, I haven't seen 'Hurt Locker'. Ridiculous I know. That's another one to add to my list. Will try and pick it up this week.
    Watched.Captain America: The Winter Soldier again last night, I'd forgotten
    How good some of the action sequences were in it, and it looks fantastic
    On my new Big screen Telly. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    It's the closest Marvel will ever get to making a Bond movie.
    ;)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,423
    chrisisall wrote: »
    ;)
    Not if they get to making a Nick Fury movie with the classic Nick Fury in it. ;)

You know... Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.? ;)

Yes, there is a film of the same name based on the character, but I'd rather make a more spy-like film which is what the character has become after ending its run on Fury and His Howling Commandos comic series.
    Caught up on the last few bigger movies from 2015 that I needed to see, including 'Room' (loved it, wonderful pacing and even better acting), 'Carol' (honestly, for all the hype surrounding this, I wasn't impressed in the slightest.), and 'Youth' (made me revisit my Top 10 of 2015 list; Sorrentino amazes yet again, can't wait to re-watch this one.)
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Caught up on the last few bigger movies from 2015 that I needed to see, including 'Room' (loved it, wonderful pacing and even better acting), 'Carol' (honestly, for all the hype surrounding this, I wasn't impressed in the slightest.), and 'Youth' (made me revisit my Top 10 of 2015 list; Sorrentino amazes yet again, can't wait to re-watch this one.)

Agree with you on Carol. I liked the score, cinematography and the performancecs from Blanchett and Mara were pretty good. But the story was just friggen boring.
    Has anybody seen Brooklyn? Is it as boring as it looks?
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Last night I enjoyed a Peter Cushing double-bill: my all-time favourite Hammer Horror classic 'The Mummy' followed by 'Dr. Who And The Daleks'. I watched them projected onto a 120" wide screen which was wonderful as I never had the pleasure of seeing either of these gems at the flicks. For me that's the best thing about home cinema - watching films I've loved for many years but have only ever seen on a TV screen. Not sure what to watch next. Possibly Clint Eastwood in 'The Eiger Sanction' after watching and loving 'Joe Kidd' and 'Coogan's Bluff' in the last week or so.
    Dial M For Murder (1954)

First time watching this Hitchcock classic on blu ray. The copy is reasonable. Perhaps slightly better than the previous dvd which I had, but not excellent by any means. Certainly not anywhere near as good as North by Northwest or other Hitchcock greats that have been remastered.

As always, I really enjoyed this film. It's a simple murder plot, told in a 'play style' (in fact, I believe it is based on a play). It is set primarily in one location, namely the protagonist's flat. Therefore it's quite 'talky' and relies on dialogue and nuanced acting.

The film has a limited number of actors but they are all excellent. They include Ray Milland (brilliant as the conniving would be murderer), Grace Kelly (stunning as always, and vulnerable as the would be victim), Robert Cummings (as the lover) & the always superb John Williams (as the chief inspector who solves the case).

One of my favourites from Hitch. Recommended.
    Gold (1974) aka The Great Gold Conspiracy

I had this on a poor dvd copy for years, but recently purchased a remastered blu ray. What a difference! the colours are crisp & the beautiful on location photography of South Africa looks fantastic.

Made basically at the start of his Bond career, Roger Moore stars in this Wilbur Smith adaptation about a London based crime syndicate looking to blow a South African mine in order to profit from the resulting move in the gold price. Moore's character is the 'fall guy'. It also stars Susannah York, Ray Milland, John Geilgud & Bradford Dillman.

This thriller/romance film is directed by Peter Hunt of OHMSS fame, and features editing by John Glen as well as titles by Maurice Binder.

The film has a notable Bondian vibe to it at times, and Roger Moore is actually more Bondian here in some instances than he was in any Bond film. Serious but suave, without the smirk he brought to his later 007 adventures. He looks great too.

It's a bit slow paced and of its time, but is definitely worth a look, especially in remastered format.

Recommended.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Has anybody seen Brooklyn? Is it as boring as it looks?

Not at all; it's an old fashion drama and love story. It's beautifully filmed and acted. The truth be told it was kind of refreshing,

But, of course, it might not be your cup of tea.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    Gold (1974) aka The Great Gold Conspiracy

I had this on a poor dvd copy for years, but recently purchased a remastered blu ray. What a difference! the colours are crisp & the beautiful on location photography of South Africa looks fantastic.

Made basically at the start of his Bond career, Roger Moore stars in this Wilbur Smith adaptation about a London based crime syndicate looking to blow a South African mine in order to profit from the resulting move in the gold price. Moore's character is the 'fall guy'. It also stars Susannah York, Ray Milland, John Geilgud & Bradford Dillman.

This thriller/romance film is directed by Peter Hunt of OHMSS fame, and features editing by John Glen as well as titles by Maurice Binder.

The film has a notable Bondian vibe to it at times, and Roger Moore is actually more Bondian here in some instances than he was in any Bond film. Serious but suave, without the smirk he brought to his later 007 adventures. He looks great too.

It's a bit slow paced and of its time, but is definitely worth a look, especially in remastered format.

Recommended.

I remember seeing this as a thirteen-year-old and being bored by it. Do you think as a 54-year-old I might appreciate it more?
    I remember seeing this as a thirteen-year-old and being bored by it. Do you think as a 54-year-old I might appreciate it more?
    @Lancaster007, as I said in my review, it's quite slow paced in that 70s kind of way, so if you were bored as a kid, you might be now as well, but perhaps less so, as there are other elements that may keep you interested.

I certainly noticed the leisurely clip. However, I appreciated the African location shoots, realism of the mine scenes, and Roger's performance (which really is quite Bondian in a manner I wish he had played Bond more often - no smirk at all - even a fight scene is better).

PS: the climax in the mine reminds me so much of AVTAK. In fact, there is a part at the very end that is almost eerily similar.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    ;)

or the closest Eon will get to making a Marvel movie as Winter soldier and Spectre have the exact same plot.
    I agree on Winter Soldier. Excellent film and one of my favourite superhero flicks of all time (along with Nolan's Bat trilogy, Spider Man 2, & Iron Man). The action sequences are very well done and extremely tense. Robert Redford being in it is a bonus.
  • Die Hard.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Oceans 13. Finally got a chance to pop it in after watching the first two. Easily my favourite of the three films. I feel that the actual heist itself was the best and most fun to watch being put into plan and action. We didn't have to watch a whining Julia Roberts through this one which was better and I liked having Al Pacino as the villain better than Andy Garcia.
    Oceans 13. Finally got a chance to pop it in after watching the first two. Easily my favourite of the three films. I feel that the actual heist itself was the best and most fun to watch being put into plan and action. We didn't have to watch a whining Julia Roberts through this one which was better and I liked having Al Pacino as the villain better than Andy Garcia.

I think Ocean's eleven is the best one, but 13 is definitely better then 12.