Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think Terminator is Cameron's only truly great film, it's as close to a masterpiece he's got, it's also one of the greatest films of the 80's for me.

T2 is a fun ride but it's sapped of all the menace and fear that the original had, it's like Alien to Aliens to me, although Aliens is considerably better than T2.

Just watched Atom Ayogan's Sweet Hereafter 1997, never seen this before and got it on our Love Film list, a brilliantly acted drama with Ian Holm delivering a great performance amongst others.

Holms plays a lawyer who arrives in a small town after a tragedy to represent members of a community who have lost childrern in a bus accident. Holm's character also has issues of his own dealing with a drug addicted daughter he seems helpless to reach.

As his lawyer attempts to seek towns folk to join his law suit secrets become uncovered and not everyone wants the matter investigating.

4/5
    The Art of War basically Wesley Snipes 007 film... (Are all action hero actors required to do an espionage film and then a die hard esque film by law or something) as far as the knock off 007 films it's not bad and one I put in the guilty pleasure section.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The Art of War basically Wesley Snipes 007 film... (Are all action hero actors required to do an espionage film and then a die hard esque film by law or something) as far as the knock off 007 films it's not bad and one I put in the guilty pleasure section.
    Not a bad flick IMO.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,423
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Not a bad flick IMO.
    Oh, I enjoyed that, too. Then again, I always enjoy anything Wesley Snipes plays. The man is a total badass with sophistication. There's another Wesley Snipes spy flick which is incidentally called The Detonator (Pierce Brosnan's Death Train also had an alternate title which shared the same name as Snipes' film).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I liked The Art Of War, but not it's forgettable first sequel*.

*I haven't watched the third film.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Not a bad flick IMO.
    Oh, I enjoyed that, too. Then again, I always enjoy anything Wesley Snipes plays. The man is a total badass with sophistication. There's another Wesley Snipes spy flick which is incidentally called The Detonator (Pierce Brosnan's Death Train also had an alternate title which shared the same name as Snipes' film).

Hmm will have to check it out I am tempted to a create a thread about espionage films in general that borrow from the bond formula (films like Art of War The Saint I'd argue the Jackal True lies etc) but it would be hard to determine which are just spy film and which are really borrowing from the 007 franchise.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    K19: The Widowmaker (2002).

One of my all time favorite films. Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson are on top of their game, bringing buckets load of charisma and displaying superb chemistry. The film has several very intense sequences, helped with a dynamic directing from Kathryn Bigelow and an electric soundtrack. I never get tired of this movie, I've seen it countless times since I bought the DVD over 10 years ago.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Princess Mononoke (1997)
    Sprited Away (2001)
    The Cat Returns (2002)
    The Wind Rises (2013)
    I liked the first, really liked the second, didn't particularly like the other two.

The Other Guys (2010)
    I knew this wouldn't be quite my cup of tea, and indeed it wasn't, but there was some great stuff in it, anyway, and some of the humor worked for me.
    I needed to watch the end credits with frequent use of the pause button - bloody hell...

21 Grams (2003)
    Alejandro González Iñárritu's 2nd movie. I hadn't seen this one before. Non-linear and presented in fragments one gets to put together little by little. I liked it.

Babel (2006)
    AGI's 3rd movie. I had completely fortgotten the Japan segment in this, and also what the connection to the rest was. I also didn't like that segment and didn't think it fit the whole, and it seemed stylistically and even thematically different, so to me it was boring and jarring and made the whole less. I did like the Morocco and Mexico segments and stories, a lot, though.

Crazy Heart (2009)
    Scott Cooper's directorial debut. Jeff Bridges was excellent in this. A more optimistic movie than I remembered - far more so than his next two which... well, weren't at all.
    Already looking forward to his 4th which will start shooting in July... (I was happy about Rosamund Pike joining, and happily surprised at seeing both Q'orianka Kilcher and Cooper at the US premiere of Knight of Cups made me wish he'd cast her, too.)

Shaun The Sheep (2015)
    Plenty sheep in this. :D

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)
    More boring than I remembered.

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
    Okay.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The first two 'Terminator' films are the only ones that exist to me. Everything else is garbage.

@Last_Rat_Standing, yes, even worse than 'The Matrix Revolutions.' At least in that, we got a proper finale and some pretty cool scenes that I wish we had more of (the fact that scenes like the nightclub shootout are few in far between, but it's more focused on Zion and the Sentinel attack is what hurts the movie the most for me), whereas TDKR was littered with way too many plot holes and bad pacing.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,081
    Meh, by far the best thing about The Matrix Revolutions was the fab music during the end credits (Navras by Juno Reactor).
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    While Matrix is one of the classics of all time, its two sequels are totally unnecessary.

I hated the end of Matrix 2. I didn't know back then it would have an open ending, I was furious. And the third part was so disappointing except for a few scenes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The Matrix? There are no sequels to that fine movie.
    Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were partially great, with the latter a lot lesser than the former. But, there's no competitor with the original Matrix. That film is just... A piece of outstanding brilliance.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    The Wild Geese

This is a guilty pleasure for me that I seem to watch about every 6 or 7 years.
    This time in High Definition (at last).

While it may not be cinematically the best of movies, the all-star cast and the many links to the Bond franchise make this always an easy watch.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were partially great, with the latter a lot lesser than the former. But, there's no competitor with the original Matrix. That film is just... A piece of outstanding brilliance.

I highly enjoyed the second one and about the first thirty minutes of the 3rd. Pretty much after the Club Hel scene it falls apart

I highly enjoyed the second one and about the first thirty minutes of the 3rd. Pretty much after the Club Hel scene it falls apart
    Agreed. It focuses too much on the "real world" revolution against the robots. The film is unwatchable until the final fight comes along between Neo and Agent Smith.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    NonStop :
    Liam Neeson as an air Marshall trying to stop a killer high-jacker. I really enjoyed
    this thriller, it's a bit silly and the motivation for the criminal is also ...... a bit odd,
    but very entertaining.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

Agreed. It focuses too much on the "real world" revolution against the robots. The film is unwatchable until the final fight comes along between Neo and Agent Smith.

I wouldn't say its unwatchable, but there is too much time in the real world. I think an additional scene in the Matrix when everything was haywire to have some sort of fight when Smith was taken over would have made things slightly better.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The Matrix trilogy was a bit overkill, that s all. It was more of the same, just more far out.

Animatrix on the other hand, was very fresh and enjoyable.

I wouldn't say its unwatchable, but there is too much time in the real world. I think an additional scene in the Matrix when everything was haywire to have some sort of fight when Smith was taken over would have made things slightly better.
    It just turns too much into melodrama. Especially with the death of Trinity and some other important characters. Sure, it's war out there, but it focused on too much drama unlike the first Matrix, which was also the flaw of the second one in parts, and of course "the real world". Was it called Zeon or something? It's been a long time since I watched any of them.
    The Matrix trilogy was a bit overkill, that s all. It was more of the same, just more far out.

I have to say that I agree with you on the trilogy. It was an overkill, and it should've had more creativity.

However, I haven't seen Animatrix. Is it part of the film canon or just an alternate universe spin-off?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NonStop :
    Liam Neeson as an air Marshall trying to stop a killer high-jacker. I really enjoyed
    this thriller, it's a bit silly and the motivation for the criminal is also ...... a bit odd,
    but very entertaining.
    I enjoyed this one as well. A pure popcorn flick. Plus, who doesn't like seeing Liam Neeson kicking ass.

It just turns too much into melodrama. Especially with the death of Trinity and some other important characters. Sure, it's war out there, but it focused on too much drama unlike the first Matrix, which was also the flaw of the second one in parts, and of course "the real world". Was it called Zeon or something? It's been a long time since I watched any of them.

Yeah it was Zion. I hated the whole Neo going blind thing. IMO the only parts that I enjoy is the first thirty minutes or so which picks up where the second left off with Neo stuck in limbo and they have to get him out.

Yeah it was Zion. I hated the whole Neo going blind thing. IMO the only parts that I enjoy is the first thirty minutes or so which picks up where the second left off with Neo stuck in limbo and they have to get him out.
    Agreed.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I have to say that I agree with you on the trilogy. It was an overkill, and it should've had more creativity.

However, I haven't seen Animatrix. Is it part of the film canon or just an alternate universe spin-off?

Both, it takes place in the same universe. There are several quite different episodes. Some better than others, but worth checking out.
    jake24 wrote: »
    NonStop :
    but very entertaining.
    I enjoyed this one as well. A pure popcorn flick. Plus, who doesn't like seeing Liam Neeson kicking ass.

Count me in, too. Was pretty surprised by it, an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes or so.
    The Third man - what a smartly shot movie, beautiful use of b/w and grey colours and the use of shadows never has been done so splendid. Vienna is really a most important character in the movie. A joy to watch every time again. With Bernard Lee and Guy Hamilton doing their stuff pre-Bond.

The Graduate - Dustin Hofman is really brilliant, Katherine Ross is bloody gorgeous and Ann Bancroft being a convincing temptress.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Man on Fire 2004 Denzel Washington - In a Mexico City wracked by a recent wave of kidnappings, ex-CIA operative John Creasy (Denzel Washington) reluctantly accepts a job as a bodyguard for 9-year-old Lupita (Dakota Fanning), the daughter of wealthy businessman Samuel Ramos (Marc Anthony). Just as Creasy begins to develop a fondness for the young girl, a bloodthirsty gunman (Jesús Ochoa) kidnaps her. Now, Creasy must pick off a succession of corrupt cops and criminals to reach his ultimate object of vengeance. 7.7 IMDB

Dakota Fanning steals the show insanely, confident for someone so young at the time.
    Man on Fire 2004 Denzel Washington - In a Mexico City wracked by a recent wave of kidnappings, ex-CIA operative John Creasy (Denzel Washington) reluctantly accepts a job as a bodyguard for 9-year-old Lupita (Dakota Fanning), the daughter of wealthy businessman Samuel Ramos (Marc Anthony). Just as Creasy begins to develop a fondness for the young girl, a bloodthirsty gunman (Jesús Ochoa) kidnaps her. Now, Creasy must pick off a succession of corrupt cops and criminals to reach his ultimate object of vengeance. 7.7 IMDB

Dakota Fanning steals the show insanely, confident for someone so young at the time.

I killed a lot of people in that movie.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Two great ones @SaintMark . Note of interest: Having lived in or near all of the locations used in THE GRADUATE, I'll point out a few geographical errors. When Dustin Hoffman is heading South on 101 going from Berkeley to Santa Barbara he goes through a tunnel that is strictly North bound. When he is driving to Berkeley he is again going the wrong way, this time on the Bay bridge. He's actually heading in the opposite direction into San Francisco.

That's interesting! I bought the Criterion Collection Blu-ray of The Graduate, it's one of the classics that I actually never have seen. I probably will watch it soon.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,812
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Maybe some of you have heard of this film. ;)
    I'm in the middle of a Bondathon and just watched this one last night. I think this one is still my favorite Moore Bond film. I love just about everything about it. After it was over I felt like watching it again... I of course didn't because I have to get to those other Bond outings. I'm currently in the middle of Moonraker. Later tonight will be For Your Eyes Only!