Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    London has fallen :

Great action movie with some amazing sequences with loads of terrorist bag guys
    getting disposed off. Yes if you stop to think about it, it's a bit silly, but for a high
    action fun ride. It's brilliant.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Star Trek V: The Search for Bill Shatners Ego. Well what can I say, this on bluray looks rather good at times. The format has given this film a welcome shot in the arm. I have always liked this film and watched my VHS copy to the point it was worn. The film has many short comings, though at the center is a decent script. The trinity show heart and being a life long fan, there are some good character arcs and moments from Kirk, Spock and Bones.
    :-bd
    Star Trek The Voyage Home. Looks fantastic in HD, bizarre watching it now, in sense its a trip back in time for me as much as it is for Kirk etc. Film stands up extremely well, feel like I am watching this film for the first time again.
    Spooks: The Greater Good
    As a fan of the series I loved this. More or less a feature  length  episode. Which isn't a
    complaint  as the series had such high production  standards.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Star Trek The Voyage Home. Looks fantastic in HD, bizarre watching it now, in sense its a trip back in time for me as much as it is for Kirk etc. Film stands up extremely well, feel like I am watching this film for the first time again.
    Yes, it's THE film that I feel benefits most from Blu Ray as the old VHS & DVD versions were so badly transferred. Plus: best ending to a Trek Movie ever IMHO!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Seven Psychopaths (2012) :

In short, the film doesn't really have a plot, but the distinct pacing of the story is somewhat similar to In Bruges (2008), which has the same director behind the rolling camera, and both star Colin Farrell as an Irish character. The film is sort of mindless and for the average viewer who wants total emotion and all, won't comprehend the soul of the motion picture. It's a black comedy with loads of dark humour oriented sarcasm and cynics. Yes, violence, blood and gore are also present. However, while it does feel like a spiritual sequel to In Bruges, it fails to capture the essence of the latter that made it great. But, nevertheless, the characters are colourful and bring enjoyable performances out of their talents. Those being, other than Farrell of course, Christopher Walken (Top notch actor. Hands down), Sam Rockwell (very underrated talent) and Woody Harrelson. Olga Kuryenko also makes a very brief appearance.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    To the die-hard Trek fans: what are your thoughts on the upcoming film?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Yes, it's THE film that I feel benefits most from Blu Ray as the old VHS & DVD versions were so badly transferred. Plus: best ending to a Trek Movie ever IMHO!
    The cinematography is very good, there is a panning shot of Kirk and Spock walking with the Golden Gate Bridge in the background that is stunning. The way many films from the 80s were presented on VHS was poor standard. On bluray this film looks like it was made yesterday.

Some films made yesterday don't look this good.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Rental.
    Sorry, the new movies are too action heavy for me. If it gets amazing reviews I might see it theatrically...
    :-?
    I am more interested in the new Star Trek TV show, even more so as Nicholas Meyer is onboard as a advisor.

Star Trek Beyond laid out its stall early stating it did not want to feel like a Trek Film which is ludicrous. The trailers I have seen are not aimed at me, they are trying for a mass audience. Trying to remain open minded about the whole train wreck in waiting.

I am more interested in the new Star Trek TV show, even more so as Nicholas Meyer is onboard as a advisor.
    Big YEP.
    Star Trek are notorious for re using optical effects and composites, though just noticed the planet Sean Connery from Final frontier looks suspiciously like the effect used for the sun in Voyage Home with colour alteration. Never noticed that before.
    Star Trek are notorious for re using optical effects and composites, though just noticed the planet Sean Connery from Final frontier looks suspiciously like the effect used for the sun in Voyage Home with colour alteration. Never noticed that before.

Sha-Karee? I guess it's possible, but I think I would have noticed it myself...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    As I mentioned in the Bond movie meter thread, I've had a lazy week at home watching movies.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
    Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
    Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
    Naked Gun
    Naked Gun 2
    Naked Gun 3
    Airport 75
    Airport 77
    Airport 79
    The Martian
    The Revenant
    The Bourne Legacy
    The Wolf Of Wallstreet

Only just noticed myself though will have to check Star Trek V again. Luckinbil was good in Final Frontier, everytime I watch it I always think how it would have been with Sean.

You right Voyage home has a great Star Ttek ending, though Khan beats it for me.

:)

Sun and Sha kari have a similar ripple effect, not exact my mistake.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Star Trek V: The Search for Bill Shatners Ego. Well what can I say, this on bluray looks rather good at times. The format has given this film a welcome shot in the arm. I have always liked this film and watched my VHS copy to the point it was worn. The film has many short comings, though at the center is a decent script. The trinity show heart and being a life long fan, there are some good character arcs and moments from Kirk, Spock and Bones.
    :-bd
    Since my last watch, I've come to really love and enjoy Star Trek V, It's not the best but it's certainly not the worst.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

It looks great and I can't wait to see it this summer. :-bd
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Creasy47

I have never had a problem with the new Star Trek movies. As a die-hard Trekkie I have loved everything up to now.
    The last TV-Show Enterprise is hugely underrated for instance.

The first new Star Trek movie is fantastic. The casting is simply perfect. And to transport them into an alternate time-line is a stroke of genius as endless new possibilities can be realised without hurting the known time-line.

I like Into Darkness as well. Cumberbatch is great and I don't see why they couldn't take someone completely different to the great Ricardo Montalban. It worked for me.

Star Trek Beyond looks fantastic already, it will probably again use occurrences from the original Star Trek movies,
    the destruction of the enterprise
    for instance.

Trekkies have to realise that the time of the old ways to do Trek is over. It wouldn't work anymore in this day and age of Television and Cinema.

The new TV-Show will probably be quite different to the old ones. And for me, that can be a good thing.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England

Yes, it's a play on Sir Sean's name as Bill Shatner wanted the big man to play the role of Sybok.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Lady Vanishes (1979)

This is a remake of the Alfred Hitchcock black and white classic from 1938. I have not seen that film. I really enjoyed this remake.

Starring Cybill Shepherd, Elliot Gould, Angela Lansbury & Herbert Lom as the main characters, I found it highly amusing and entertaining. A sort of comedy thriller filmed primarily in a train en-route from Munich to Switzerland, it features beautiful on location photography & vibrant performances by the lead actors. Cybill Shepherd in particular looks radiant in her white gown (I had a huge crush on her growing up during her Moonlighting days, and I can see now that this film inspired her casting and performance there. She plays off Gould in a very similar way to how she bantered with Willis's David Adison). What an incredibly statuesque physique she had.

Essentially, a woman disappears on a train, and the remainder of the film is an attempt to locate her. Think Jodie Foster's FlightPlan on a train. The backdrop to WW2 is woven into the plot and the character's behaviours reflect that era, including a British fellow waving a white flag of truce, who ends up in a poor way (a metaphor for Neville Chamberlain perhaps).

This film is difficult to come by, because it wasn't a success upon release, and was the last film made by Hammer Studio. There is an American 'Classic Collection' version which is remastered. It's very expensive and difficult to locate, but if you can get a copy, that is the one to obtain, because this truly is a gorgeous film to watch. It's a cross between the Sound of Music and Murder on the Orient Express aesthetically.

EDIT: I now realize there was actually a US re-release of this film in 2013 by Rank. That should be a clearer copy.
    Point Break (2015)
    Light on story, and characterisation but heavy on beautifully filmed extreme sports.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Rope (1948)

I have seen this Hitchcock classic once before many years ago, and recall enjoying it. This recent experience was just as enjoyable.

It is notable for being filmed in one setting (a rather high end New York apartment) and for seeming like it is filmed in one continuous shot. A precursor of sorts to the famous tracking shot from SP.

It stars James Stewart, John Dall & Farley Granger as the leads, with other notable supporting players.

The film is basically about two well to do intellectuals who kill of one of their old college peers as an exercise - basically because they can to demonstrate their brilliance. They then stash the body strategically in the apartment and have a dinner party, notable for having guests who know the victim but who don't know what has happened. During the course of the festivities, and on account of discussions that take place during the evening, the two perpetrators get nervous and essentially start to give themselves away. The manner in which this occurs is what is fascinating to watch.

This film reminds me of Murder By Numbers (2002), which stars Sandra Bullock, Ryan Gosling & Michael Pitt. I now realize that film was essentially based on this film's premise.

Despite the age of the film, it's very good and quite suspenseful.

Recommended.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondjames

I like your reviews in general and posts on Hitchcock as well.
    I opened this thread a week ago:

mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/15269/alfred-hitchcock-appreciation-and-discussion-thread#latest

it would fit perfectly there, if you wouldn't mind and like to post your review there as well. :)
    But don't feel obligated or forced :\">
    just bloody do it :))

Best regards, Jason
    Listened to the radio version of Rope last week with the late Alan Rickman on BBC
    radio 4.
    Watched Antman and Now you see Me, today both very entertaining films. :D
    Sunday The Dark Knight Rises was on and I watched a bit of it... where do I begin....

I am a Huge Batman Fan (heck I read the comics and enjoy the idea of Jim as batman and I am probably the only fan in the world who does) but TDKR is just ok... it's better then Batman and Robin but I feel Nolan's heart wasn't in it or Goyer wasn't as involved as the previous 2 because while elements of the film are great (Hardy as Bane was fantastic) there are so many plot holes that you can drive a tank through (Kevin smith's video on this film's plot holes with someone else I forgot who is just so funny specifically when they talk about how Robin Blake is the smartest rookie on the planet)

I plan some day doing a Batman Cohesive over view of the films (though unsure what I want to include and what I don't the Serials? the Adam west movie? the Animated Films?)
    but if I had to guess my ranking would be

1. Batman Begins
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman
    4. Batman Returns
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Batman Forever
    7. Batman And Robin

with BVS likely going between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight but I will know for sure Friday.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Sunday The Dark Knight Rises was on and I watched a bit of it... where do I begin....

I am a Huge Batman Fan (heck I read the comics and enjoy the idea of Jim as batman and I am probably the only fan in the world who does) but TDKR is just ok... it's better then Batman and Robin but I feel Nolan's heart wasn't in it or Goyer wasn't as involved as the previous 2 because while elements of the film are great (Hardy as Bane was fantastic) there are so many plot holes that you can drive a tank through (Kevin smith's video on this film's plot holes with someone else I forgot who is just so funny specifically when they talk about how Robin Blake is the smartest rookie on the planet)

I plan some day doing a Batman Cohesive over view of the films (though unsure what I want to include and what I don't the Serials? the Adam west movie? the Animated Films?)
    but if I had to guess my ranking would be

1. Batman Begins
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Batman
    4. Batman Returns
    5. The Dark Knight Rises
    6. Batman Forever
    7. Batman And Robin

with BVS likely going between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight but I will know for sure Friday.

Holy missing Bat-Film, where do place Batman: The Movie starring the Dynamic Duo of Adam West and Burt Ward?
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Finally got around to watching this. I can say that I actually love this film and it's highly underrated. It was a lot of fun and for the most part well acted, Cavill's acting felt a bit forced the first half of the film. Cavill and Hammer have great on screen chemistry. I absolutely loved that fact that this took place in the 60's and I'm glad they didn't try to work this film somehow into a modern day setting. Unfortunately this didn't do too well while it was in theaters so we probably won't get any sequels but one can hope.
    The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Finally got around to watching this. I can say that I actually love this film and it's highly underrated. It was a lot of fun and for the most part well acted, Cavill's acting felt a bit forced the first half of the film. Cavill and Hammer have great on screen chemistry. I absolutely loved that fact that this took place in the 60's and I'm glad they didn't try to work this film somehow into a modern day setting. Unfortunately this didn't do too well while it was in theaters so we probably won't get any sequels but one can hope.
    Welcome to the club! :D
    Meh. No U.N.C.L.E. theme. Sorry but it's a deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't watch an M:I movie without the M:I theme either.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,423
    But, you'd watch M:I's film protagonist turning into a dishonourable traitor? To me, that argument of the theme tune's nonexistent presence in the film being a deal breaker doesn't really make sense. Never Say Never Again didn't have The James Bond Theme, either.
    Not a big fan of the first M:I movie nor NSNA.