Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Oceans 13. Finally got a chance to pop it in after watching the first two. Easily my favourite of the three films. I feel that the actual heist itself was the best and most fun to watch being put into plan and action. We didn't have to watch a whining Julia Roberts through this one which was better and I liked having Al Pacino as the villain better than Andy Garcia.

I think Ocean's eleven is the best one, but 13 is definitely better then 12.

For some reason, the heist sequence in the first one just drags on and it took me a few watchings to actually figure out how they did it. Not bashing it by any means. Perhaps I just enjoyed watching 13 more and how events unfolded.
    Rig the games, have the whole place bankrupt the Bank hotel in just three minutes. 12 was just odd because the whole heist had already taken place by the time they planned out how to rob the egg in Rome
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Hannie Caulder on Blu Ray. Not just a great Raquel Welch film, but a great film period.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Hannie Caulder on Blu Ray. Not just a great Raquel Welch film, but a great film period.
    Were you spying on me or something? I watched that last night!

...After suffering through Return of Sabata with Lee Van Cleef.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

I had never seen this original version before today. I have seen the remake a couple of times and enjoyed it on every occasion.

The premise is basically the same. Thomas Crown is a millionaire who also dabbles in theft. A man who likes living on the edge, he does it mainly because he can. For kicks. Vicki Anderson is a crack insurance investigator who commits to finding the culprit. The two have an electric attraction to one another, and a complex and ultimately unsustainable relationship ensues.

This film is a little different from the remake, but in my view, better. The main reason for my opinion is McQueen and Dunaway. They are absolutely great, and have superb chemistry. McQueen's version of Crown is more of a bastard than Brosnan's. Harder edged. More of a rascal. He's also supremely and naturally cool, as only McQueen can be.
    Dunaway is absolutely gorgeous in this film, and an excellent actress too I realize. Icily sophisticated and razor sharp, she is very credible as insurance investigator Vicki Anderson. Much better than Rene Russo's over-emotional character in the remake. I now know why Dunaway was so famous in her prime.

Notables include the famous chess game between Crown and Anderson - truly electric and very suggestive. Magnificent work by director Norman Jewison and the two leads.
    Also the final scene is excellent and far better than the remake - no need for contrived happy endings here.
    The film has an 'arty' flair to it, with split screens and impressive photography / cinematography.

I loved the score by Michel Legrand (yes, he of Never Say Never Again fame).
    However I did not like the Oscar winning sap song "Windmills of Your Mind" which also plays during some of the film. This sort of mush reminded me uncomfortably of our own piece of cheese, "Writing's on the Wall".

Overall I enjoyed this film primarily because of McQueen and Dunaway. They are electric and true stars.
    Wasn't it an amazing film? Her chemistry with Robert Culp was the main reason, however the writing was just surprisingly good. And any movie that has Christopher Lee in it is automatically better for it.
    Wasn't it an amazing film? Her chemistry with Robert Culp was the main reason, however the writing was just surprisingly good. And any movie that has Christopher Lee in it is automatically better for it.
    Definitely! It's a spectacular Western that isn't American nor Italian (who are better at making films in the genre). Ernest Borgnine, as usual, makes a fantastic villain and definitely the type of bandit you'd see in western films. Raquel Welch rocks in the lead, as well! (When didn't she?)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    [ [/quote]

I think Ocean's eleven is the best one, but 13 is definitely better then 12.

[/quote]

Well were the first ten any good? ;)

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Oceans One was the cheapest of them all.
    It only starred George Clooney as a one man mission.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

I had never seen this original version before today. I have seen the remake a couple of times and enjoyed it on every occasion.

The premise is basically the same. Thomas Crown is a millionaire who also dabbles in theft. A man who likes living on the edge, he does it mainly because he can. For kicks. Vicki Anderson is a crack insurance investigator who commits to finding the culprit. The two have an electric attraction to one another, and a complex and ultimately unsustainable relationship ensues.

This film is a little different from the remake, but in my view, better. The main reason for my opinion is McQueen and Dunaway. They are absolutely great, and have superb chemistry. McQueen's version of Crown is more of a bastard than Brosnan's. Harder edged. More of a rascal. He's also supremely and naturally cool, as only McQueen can be.
    Dunaway is absolutely gorgeous in this film, and an excellent actress too I realize. Icily sophisticated and razor sharp, she is very credible as insurance investigator Vicki Anderson. Much better than Rene Russo's over-emotional character in the remake. I now know why Dunaway was so famous in her prime.

Notables include the famous chess game between Crown and Anderson - truly electric and very suggestive. Magnificent work by director Norman Jewison and the two leads.
    Also the final scene is excellent and far better than the remake - no need for contrived happy endings here.
    The film has an 'arty' flair to it, with split screens and impressive photography / cinematography.

I loved the score by Michel Legrand (yes, he of Never Say Never Again fame).
    However I did not like the Oscar winning sap song "Windmills of Your Mind" which also plays during some of the film. This sort of mush reminded me uncomfortably of our own piece of cheese, "Writing's on the Wall".

Overall I enjoyed this film primarily because of McQueen and Dunaway. They are electric and true stars.
    I haven't seen this one myself. Just the remake, which I loved.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ZOOTOPIA

Watched this new animated Disney film with my niece. It was surprisingly good.
    We just watched After The Sunset (Blu Ray) & WOW did we have a great time with it! It was exciting, sexy & hilarious! If ONLY Bret Ratner had directed Die Another Day!!!!!
    IMO, After The Sunset is like my last excellent Brosnan Bond movie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Watching Room now. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 6,432
    San Andreas Dumb film right from the off, though some of the visual effects were pretty impressive.

The Dark Knight Rises The Imax sequences still are jaw dropping, dare I say I enjoy this more than The Dark Knight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The Ledge (2011)

A few weeks ago I decided to check out films by Charlie Hunnam. I don't know much about this chap and some members here have advocated him as a successor to DC as James Bond, so I thought I should at least check out a few of his films. I did a quick scan on Amazon, and this little known 2011 film came up, also starring Terence Howard and Liv Tyler (always good on the eyes in particular). Why not, I thought?

So, how did it go? In short, I really enjoyed this film. Think Phone Booth but without a happy ending. It's got a sub-story about religiousity vs atheism woven smartly into the main narrative. Do you have faith? Do you have the conviction to die for your beliefs? What about for love?

Very good performances by all concerned, and a very interesting drama/thriller. I can imagine this didn't go down all that well with some, because biblical recommendations for adultery come into play.

PS: Hunnam is a good actor and quite charismatic no doubt, but this fella is not James Bond. Hiddle blows him away.
    Just finished Sicario last night. As others have said, great film. Almost unbearably intense at times. Brilliantly acted all round.

Jesus Christ though...Del Toro is terrifying. Angelic in LTK by comparison.
    San Andreas Dumb film right from the off, though some of the visual effects were pretty impressive.

The Dark Knight Rises The Imax sequences still are jaw dropping, dare I say I enjoy this more than The Dark Knight.

Of course you can.

I like Rises much more, it has Anne Hathaway in it in a catsuit :-j
    TDK is a bit overrated, in fact I like Batman Begins and TDKR better.
    I agree that The Dark Knight is overrated, but of all the three installments, The Dark Knight Rises, for me, was the most boring one I wanted to burst out of the theatre as fast as I could. Too slow paced, too much convolution. Batman Begins, I have to say, is the only Batman film that I really like and would constantly watch.
    I agree that The Dark Knight is overrated, but of all the three installments, The Dark Knight Rises, for me, was the most boring one I wanted to burst out of the theatre as fast as I could. Too slow paced, too much convolution. Batman Begins, I have to say, is the only Batman film that I really like and would constantly watch.

Batman Begins clearly is the best imo as well. In fact, Batman Begins is in my Top 10 of best movies ever.

Batman Begins clearly is the best imo as well. In fact, Batman Begins is in my Top 10 of best movies ever.
    Agreed. At times, Bruce Wayne seemed a lot like the generic portrait of James Bond. Christian Bale was a fantastic Bruce Wayne.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight' are both incredible movies in that trilogy, though I will say that I'm a bit more burnt out on the latter, simply because I've seen it way too many times, alongside how tiring it got with how popular it was, how many people were idolizing the Joker at the time, etc. TDKR? Might be one of the worst final installments to a trilogy I've ever seen.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Batman Begins' and 'The Dark Knight' are both incredible movies in that trilogy, though I will say that I'm a bit more burnt out on the latter, simply because I've seen it way too many times, alongside how tiring it got with how popular it was, how many people were idolizing the Joker at the time, etc. TDKR? Might be one of the worst final installments to a trilogy I've ever seen.

Even worse than Matrix Revolutions?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Even worse than Matrix Revolutions?
    On par with that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I must be one of the few who enjoyed all three of C Nolan's Batman movies. ;)
    I enjoyed all three as well but TDK is just on a whole other level for me. Problem is that it's televised so much that it's just wore out its welcome
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,568
    I love all the Nolan (Batman) films. LOVE LOVE LOVE 'em!

For me as a Batman comics fan, BB is the one I favour most. However, the better movie is definately TDK. How the plot moves, how it is structured, how the established character from the previous movie gets to fight the main character of this one, how clever all the key players in this game of chess seem to be, ... the TDK script excels at a cerebral level like few other films do.

Along with Superman: The Movie, BB and TDK may be my favourite superhero films ever. And that comes from an X-Men fan!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Just finished watching Terminator: Genisys. OK, it's not the best but I'm a sucker for the franchise.
    I liked Terminator: Genisys. However, I've got the impression from the audience that whatever new in the series comes out they're going to bash it out. All I can hear from the fans is Terminator 2: Judgement Day and that the story should remain the same. A franchise evolves with the stories, and it's not like we should be getting to see Groundhog Day getting repetitive with the same supporting characters just with different names. I loved the third when it came out, and I still like it. But, everyone hates it because it wasn't R-rated enough. Sometimes, you get the conclusion that you'll never know what fans want really. Sure, it isn't the best series, but Genisys was a great entry in the franchise.
    @ClarkDevlin
    @Shark_0f_Largo

I haven't seen Genisys yet. I'm afraid it will further ruin the franchise for me.
    T3 was already a big step down.

There have been too many franchises already been damaged or ruined for me like
    Die Hard, Star Wars, Aliens or Planet Of The Apes.
    Some have taken quite a hit like Spider-Man for instance.

I'm getting careful nowadays what to watch and what not.

Maybe you can tell me, if Genisys is any better than T3 and that other one I really try to forget...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I thought that the first TERMINATOR film was passable. A fun little ride. The next two were so bad that I haven't even bothered seeing any more, and won't.

You're a tough one to please I see? Haha. I enjoy the series, the first 2 in particular. The series then slides downwards

@BondJasonBond006 - 3 was poor and, for me, this one is better, however, I have no doubt that others will think differently.
    Sounds fair enough to me. Myself, I grew up on the action movies of the 80's and still have a massive love for them.