Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Sicario (2015)

Holy f***ing sh*t! Damn you @Creasy47 I was not prepared for this. Absolutely spectacular film. The script is very tightly written, Villeneuve's directing is a stroke of genius, Deakins' cinematography is off the charts, the soundtrack is electric. All the actors give powerhouse performances, but the man of the hour is Benicio Del Toro, who gave an acting performance for the ages. Del Toro's Alejandro is my favorite character from any 2015 film. The sequence when the car convoy goes through Juarez has to be one of the tense moments I've seen in recent years. 10/10.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sicario (2015)

Holy f***ing sh*t! Damn you @Creasy47 I was not prepared for this. Absolutely spectacular film. The script is very tightly written, Villeneuve's directing is a stroke of genius, Deakins' cinematography is off the charts, the soundtrack is electric. All the actors give powerhouse performances, but the man of the hour is Benicio Del Toro, who gave an acting performance for the ages. Del Toro's Alejandro is my favorite character from any 2015 film. The sequence when the car convoy goes through Juarez has to be one of the tense moments I've seen in recent years. 10/10.

Yes, I knew it!!! I had hoped you loved it, happy to see that it has exceeded expectations. Agreed, the intensity in that whole scene is astounding, not knowing exactly when or where the attack might come. Alejandro is definitely the stand out performance in this, love his character and how driven he is.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sicario (2015)

Yes, I knew it!!! I had hoped you loved it, happy to see that it has exceeded expectations. Agreed, the intensity in that whole scene is astounding, not knowing exactly when or where the attack might come. Alejandro is definitely the stand out performance in this, love his character and how driven he is.
    Agreed. I thought Josh Brolin was outstanding as well. He has really become a superb actor and I hope to see more of him. Much more charismatic than his father (who was, incredibly, on the cards at one time for Bond).

Villeneuve knows how to do intense combined with style like no other at the moment. Perhaps the true successor to Mann.
    @bondjames, I'd compare the way Villeneuve's films are shot/edited to Fincher more than I would Mann, as the latter's shooting style is very distinct and not something you get to see too often. Anytime I bring him up, it reminds me that I really need to watch 'Heat' for the millionth time very soon.
    Yes, I agree @Creasy47. There is definitely more similarity to Fincher.

Heat is one of my all time faves. It's been a few years since I've seen that one, and will do so shortly. I'm going to combine it with Internal Affairs, another cop favourite of mine, from 1990.
    'Internal Affairs' is what 'The Departed' is a remake of, is it not? I've heard that one is better than the other and vice versa many times, but I've only seen the latter. Perhaps I'll check it out one day soon.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Internal Affairs' is what 'The Departed' is a remake of, is it not? I've heard that one is better than the other and vice versa many times, but I've only seen the latter. Perhaps I'll check it out one day soon.
    No, that was Infernal Affairs, a 2002 Hong Kong film which I haven't seen either.

I mean Internal Affairs from 1990 which stars Richard Gere, Andy Garcia & William Baldwin. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it. It's a little dated, but quite stylish and intense. Gere's character is very different from what he normally plays.

Now that you mention it though, The Departed would go well with Heat as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,691
    Mad Max: Fury Road 2015)

This is about 10th time I've seen the film. As @Creasy47 told me, 'Fury Road' is like a drug: once the movie starts you can't keep your eyes off the screen. The action is high octane, very imaginative and doesn't stop from the first minutes to the very end of the runtime. The soundtrack is another spectacular aspect of the film, as is the cinematography. A high-point of 2015.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mad Mad: Fury Road 2015)

Is this the sequel to It s A Mad Mad World?
    Mad Mad: Fury Road 2015)

Is this the sequel to It s A Mad Mad World?

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. ;)
    edited February 2016 Posts: 40,498
    Sounds like a proper 90's cast, I'll have to check it out, @bondjames, thanks for the recommendation.

@DaltonCraig007, next time you watch it, keep an eye on the runtime, you'll see just how tight Miller manages to fit the scenes within set amounts of time, such as the beginning of the film to the very end of the sand/tornado storm chase scene is exactly 30 minutes long, and from there on out I think he manages to conclude every thirty minutes by wrapping up something else that's very important/the finale of another big action sequence.
  • Goldeneye! Watching it right now.
    Star Trek (2009). This just isn't Star Trek; I refuse to give it the warm reception so many do. Bottom of my list by default.

Star Trek Marathon Ranking
    1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    4. Star Trek: First Contact
    5. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    7. Star Trek: Generations
    8. Star Trek: Nemesis
    9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    10. Star Trek: Insurrection
    11. Star Trek
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Star Trek (2009). This just isn't Star Trek; I refuse to give it the warm reception so many do. Bottom of my list by default.
    We reach, brother!
    :-bd
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm so excited that Mad Max Fury Road has Academy Award nominations galore! and even the important ones!
    It is so deserved because it is the freaking best movie of this decade!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,276
    I just have to put it last because of how non-Trekkish it feels. It's probably technically better than a few others, but I just didn't like what it tried. Watching Cast Away (2000) now, a film I've seen many times; love it. My break film before I view Into Darkness.

EDIT: Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013). As expected, it'll place at the bottom. One thing that did help me not dislike it as much though is that I thought more on how this is established as an alternate timeline, totally different from how things happened in the originals. Still not an excuse to deviate so violently from the originals, but it alleviated some grief.

Star Trek Marathon Ranking:
    1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    4. Star Trek: First Contact
    5. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    7. Star Trek: Generations
    8. Star Trek: Nemesis
    9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    10. Star Trek: Insurrection
    11. Star Trek
    12. Star Trek: Into Darkness
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962). Magnificent. A shame I'll never be able to experience it for the first time ever again.
    The Bourne Supremacy (2004) and The Bourne Ultimatum (2007).

Spectacular films. Matt Damon is one badass guy. These films feature some of the most thrilling action scenes I've seen the past decade - the Berlin foot chase, the Moscow car chase, the Waterloo sequence, the Tangiers chase. Mix that with a highly energetic directing from Greengrass and an electric soundtrack, and you have 2 awesome ction movies.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,813
    maskofzorro.jpg

Mask of Zorro- a new classic, and I'm not talking about Legend of Zorro....
    I remember this movie surprising everyone when it was released; nobody thought it would be any good. But it had the high adventure and humor of an Indiana Jones movie!
    I read some interesting trivia about this movie: apparently they were trying to get it made for years, and in the earlier stages, Anthony Hopkins' character was originally meant to be played by Raul Julia!! That would have been the best casting ever!!!

raul-julia-gomez.jpg

Of course, if the movie was indeed made in the earlier 90's we would have possibly been less likely to have Antonio Banderas, who was born for the role, so it worked out in the end (and of coarse Hopkins was great)

BTW fans of CW's The Flash might recognize Captain Love as Reverse Flash!
    the-flash-eobard-thawne-returns.png?w=620&h=357&crop=1latest?cb=20130325235625&path-prefix=es
    Mask of Zorro- a new classic!

Thank you Martin Campbell.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Mask of Zorro- a new classic!

Thank you Martin Campbell.
    One should be grateful Robert Rodriguez was dropped from the film. Lord knows how awful it would have been had he inserted his unjustifiable cliches. Like you said, Thank you Martin Campbell.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Alain Delon was the best Zorro.
    Furious 6 (2013).

I can't get enough of these 'Fast & Furious' movies. Plain, simple, mindless entertainment. Tons of action and lots of humour. The 2 set-pieces at the end (the convoy attack and the runway sequence) are out of this world.
    The Stuntman (1980).
    A fantastic existential work, and an amazing turn by Peter O'Toole. If you've never seen it, do yourselves a favour.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,081
    The Big Short
    Went to see this for the second time on Thursday, and enjoyed it even more - acting, editing, cinematography, humor, explanations, etc., and thus also enjoyed it more on the whole. A very smart and creative take on a difficult and important issue.

Room
    This opened here this Friday, so I went to see it right away. Despite having read tons of good things about it, I was still surprised by how good it was. The same story could have been told in a different way, and it might have been terrible. This was understated, delicate and brilliant. As far as people dealing with hell goes, The Revenant has nothing on this. Nothing. Well, it had less of a story, anyway, and no depth to speak of. And I even liked The Revenant. It sure was pretty, but other than that I wasn't anywhere near as impressed by that movie than this one. And that was just aiming for useless revenge (talk about typical), this had none of that crap.

Btw, I've now seen 7 out of 8 movies nominated for Best Picture at Oscars this year (Brooklyn didn't arrive here on time). The 2 above and Mad Max: Fury Road were very different, but all unique and amazing. The rest has been seen before. The more I think about The Revenant the less I like it, and the idea of it possibly winning BP (most are predicting it) pisses me off. I really hope it won't.

I still prefer those '40 serials with Zorro as the hero. Even Spielberg & Lucas recognised the sheer quality and amazing stunts in those brilliant serials.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    SaintMark wrote: »

I still prefer those '40 serials with Zorro as the hero. Even Spielberg & Lucas recognised the sheer quality and amazing stunts in those brilliant serials.
    You mean the ones from the late 1950s? with Guy Williams?
    The Republic serials like: Zorro's fighting Legion [1939], Zorro Rides again [1937] & Zorro's Black whip [1944].
    MacGyver: Trail to Doomsday on of the 2 tv movies from 1994 and the better of the two (story and acting wise thought the better Macgyverisms was in lost treasure of atlantis) what can I say ever since the reboot has been announced I have been immersing myself in the world of MacGyver and I am quite happy the film is a decent spy thriller not the best but not the worst.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Mad Max :Fury road.
    Really enjoyed this fast paced action movie, the chases and stunt work is amazing.