Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I finally did get around to see Deadpool, and as the film gets the credit for, it's true to its source material and was very fun to watch. As a friend of mine said: "A movie made for the fans." And he was right.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am skipping Deadpool. I think it was made for the same audience that worshipped Guardians of the Galaxy, which I found horrible.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 40,562
    @Thunderfinger, I'm right there with you. It looks like it has a few chuckles in it, but at the same time, I'm worried that it'll be one of those movies that tries way too hard to be funny by injecting lots and lots of cuss words in it to seem 'edgy,' which is certainly something that the younger audience would enjoy. Trailers never really grabbed my attention; I'll see it some day, but I won't be paying for it.
    Well it certainly isn't about making a decent movie, Deadpool has always been about mad jokes and nasty humour in the comics and even some tasteless (not necessarily bad) elements with breaking-the-fourth-wall reactions. Deadpool is that kind of movie that doesn't care much about the plot but idiotic deeds the character is known for.

It certainly isn't a drama! :D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If that's part of the character and his persona, then it makes sense and Reynolds was the perfect choice for the role, but that type of humor really isn't for me: I need more than cussing to make me laugh. I will admit, though, that I did laugh at the scene I saw in the trailers where his buddy (or whoever it is) is describing what Reynolds looks like after he's all burnt (or, again, whatever he is. I know nothing of the character and what happens to him.)
    Yes, indeed. It isn't for everyone. I do admit though that there might be bits where you would find it funny. However, overall, it's for the people who enjoy the Kick-Ass films. I wasn't necessarily part of that audience, though. I just know the character from the comics and he does actually lighten up the situation when things get dark (in the comics). He's a nutcase.

That said, my preference of humour also happens to be the rather decent ones. For instance, give me something Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker would make, like Airplane! or The Naked Gun. I do also heavily enjoy Terry-Thomas, the more sophisticated type of humour, with School for Scoundrels being one of my favourite for instance.

I do believe, however, that those days are long gone. That Humour is no more.
    I love the KickAss films. Are you saying I should watch it anyway? I hope you are not a GOTG fan, because then you lose all credibility.

(Or if you have GE in your top ten)
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I do follow the Marvel Cinematic Universe installments, apart from the numbers of Netflix series (Daredevil and Jessica Jones, that is.) and... a couple of films in the franchise... I haven't seen either Iron Man 3 (not planning) or Guardians of The Galaxy, yet.

(If it helps, Die Another Day is my Number 1 Bond film. :)) )
    You should see IM3, it is quite good, but screw it then. I am not going.
    I heard about the events occurred in Iron Man 3 and a major screw-up of the Mandarin character (saw the footage).

I don't think Deadpool is quite worthy of a cinema going experience. Wait for a Blu-Ray release, I say. That is, if you're not a fan of the character. I'm not a big fan, I just like him for laughs. That's all.
    I'm skipping Deadpool as well. Doesn't look like my kind of thing whatsoever.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My Son said it was awesome.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    John Wick

Not a bad action film. Thick Euro accents everywhere and Keanu looking and acting tough. It's a perfect role for him. He doesn't need to stretch himself acting wise.

He plays a tough ass (ex assassin I think) who goes after a bunch of East Euro thugs because they killed his dog. Think Taken without the daughter.

Great fights in this film. That's about it. It's not really my cup of tea really, but I admire the fight choreography. I will watch the sequel.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,696
    John Wick kinda let me down because
    it was working up to be a tragic film, then somehow he lived. Not too believable IMO.
    Star Trek: Insurrection (1998). Sorry to any fans of it, but it bored me out of my mind. Didn't care for it much at all unfortunately.

Star Trek Marathon Ranking:
    1. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    2. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    3. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    4. Star Trek: First Contact
    5. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
    6. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    7. Star Trek: Generations
    8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    9. Star Trek: Insurrection
    Female Agents (2008): A real historical spy drama set during World War II, originally released in France as Les Femmes de l'ombre, starring our very own Sophie Marceau. It's a war tragedy with convoluted assassination tasks that go wrong on behalf of the SOE operatives. If you like the kind, then it's worth watching really.

I don't think I would watch the film again anytime soon, but I liked it very much.
    Star Trek: Nemesis (2002). Not as horrible as I expected; Tom Hardy helped a lot.

8. Star Trek: Nemesis
    9. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    10. Star Trek: Insurrection
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Star Trek: Nemesis (2002). Not as horrible as I expected; Tom Hardy helped a lot.

As a BIG fan of the original Trek I have to say The Voyage Home is a bit low, but your ratings are mostly very fair!
    Live long, and prosper!
    chrisisall wrote: »

As a BIG fan of the original Trek I have to say The Voyage Home is a bit low, but your ratings are mostly very fair!
    Live long, and prosper!

I did enjoy The Voyage Home quite a lot (my Top 6 are all very enjoyable), but I still think it's slightly overrated. And Search for Spock is underrated (as is The Motion Picture). I don't know how I'm going to rank the 2009 reboot and the sequel, since they're not Star Trek-esque. At the same time, Insurrection bored me so much, I might still keep that one last.
    At the same time, Insurrection bored me so much, I might still keep that one last.
    I actually quite like Insurrection, but as others have pointed out in past, it really IS just like an over-long episode of TNG series.
    :-??
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would drop IV a spot
    Yes, we know you do not likey the funny.
    b-(
    No, I like real funny. Richard Pryor, Monty Python, Mel Brooks, Kurt Vonnegutt JR., SOUTH PARK, Dave Chappelle, George Carlin, Sheriff J.W. Pepper, etc.
    But not-

????????
    The humor from Spock is the best part by far. "They are not the hell your whales"
    the enterprise has been rebuilt
    Not rebuilt- it was another Constitution class re-designated. ;)
    "My friends, we're home." =D>
    The Thing (1982). A great horror film; the pure isolation, paranoia, and suspense make this a true genre standout. Glad I decided to give the Trek films a pause for this.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Not a bad list. I need to rewatch the Star Trek movies again as I've forgotten my ranking. If I remember it went like this.

1. The Wrath of Khan
    2. The Search for Spock
    3. The Voyage Home
    4. Star Trek 2009
    5. The Final Frontier (Not as bad as most think it is, I really enjoy it. This one would require a full in depth review as to why I rank it this high.)
    6. The Undiscovered Country
    7. First Contact
    8. Into Darkness
    9. The Motion Picture
    10. Nemesis
    11. Insurrection
    12. Generations (I hate this movie with a passion and wish it could be erased from existance.)
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Thing (1982). A great horror film; the pure isolation, paranoia, and suspense make this a true genre standout. Glad I decided to give the Trek films a pause for this.

Not bad at all, but check out the Howard Hawks original, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951), far superior.

Have both. Love both.
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Not sure if this was posted before, but has anybody seen "The Program", movie about Lance Armstrong and his doping scandal?
    Playing the role of his doctor - none other then Michael G. Wilson :)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Since the Florida Panthers have some days off, my wife and I decided to start the Oceans trilogy.

Oceans 11 (2001) This has always been a favourite for me. It had been awhile since I had watched it. The heist sequence for me was a bit slow, but its made up with the charisma of Pitt and Clooney. The ensemble team is just a hoot, especially with Caan and Casey Affleck as the bickering brothers.

Oceans 12 Definitely the weakest of the three and it lacks the little punch of the first one. The premise is set up wonderfully, but at times it seems to have too much going on, especially with the lack of a single heist sequence from the first. The whole Tess playing Julia Roberts premise seemed off for me as well. At times, I felt that I wasn't really watching an Oceans move because of how different it was compared to the first. It's not a bad film by any means, but it definitely lacked aspects that I had loved in 11.

I'll follow up with 13 in a few days, which happens to be my favourite in the series.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Our man Flint and In like Flint. I was in the mood for some camp 60s fun.