The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @GBF

Absolutely, also one of my favourites last year. In fact I hoped it would be a surprise winner.
    The performance live also was mesmerizing especially his choreography. He sold more records in Switzerland than Sweden, ha!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    If I remember correctly you @Thunderfinger have impeccable taste in music.
    Do you remember them, one of my favourites of the past, not sure you like this music style though.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kva951_ov0s"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hideous. Your neighbouring country had one of my favourites in 2003.

• GBFGBF
    If I remember correctly you @Thunderfinger have impeccable taste in music.
    Do you remember them, one of my favourites of the past, not sure you like this music style though.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kva951_ov0s"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hideous. Your neighbouring country had one of my favourites in 2003.

You really liked that? Do you understand what he is singing? :-)

Anyway, here are two of my all time favourite songs. Both are from 2011 when I was watching the ESC semi finals live in Düsseldorf.

I like them even though I don't understand a single word.

@Thunderfinger

=)) Yes, THAT I will never forget.

How about this? I LOVE that one:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_AfrOZersNk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    @GBF, yes. The lyrics are what makes it so fun.
    @GBF I think we will become friends, fast :))

Caroban was one of my favourites as well, and Na Inat was actually my favourite song that year, not the performance, but the studio version on CD.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Alf Poier is a nut but at least he made history with that performance, I prefer Guildo Horn, thanks to him I've become a huge ESC fan.
    I even prepared Nussecken (nut wedges) for watching the contest.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HPZX7EZIFD0"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • GBFGBF

Caroban was one of my favourites as well, and Na Inat was actually my favourite song that year, not the performance, but the studio version on CD.

I really found the songs to be very unique in the competition and catchy even though they were sung in their native language and I could not understand a line. I also like the Caroban performance with that colourfull background and the humour. But unfortunately, both songs did not achieve a high score in the end. Na Inat did not even qualify for the finals. Shame on you Europe.
    GBF wrote: »

I really found the songs to be very unique in the competition and catchy even though they were sung in their native language and I could not understand a line. I also like the Caroban performance with that colourfull background and the humour. But unfortunately, both songs did not achieve a high score in the end. Na Inat did not even qualify for the finals. Shame on you Europe.

Moldova 2012 had that kind of humour too :-)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 11,119
    28 songs/countries known now, and Estonia comes up with a complete smasher. A true stunning soul ballad with a high dose of 'James Bond' atmosphere. Right from Paul Epworth's playbook! Potential winner now together with France:
    @BondJasonBond006 ? Care to weigh in ;-) ?

It's difficult to judge all of them fairly. Some have released the live performances of the national shows. Other promo clips.
    I got the studio versions of all of them and of course once the CD gets released I'll buy it as usual.

I haven't heard all of them I must say, too many just came in so to speak during the last 8 days.

As you know Ireland is my favourite so far. I've seen Westlife live 8 times and yes I am a huge fan of them, so naturally I couldn't be happier to finally see at least a part of them at the ESC. I will never understand why they never went to the ESC by the way.
    Although I don't see Nicky winning the contest, I hope he will end up in the Top 10. That would make me very happy. It will all depend on the overall performance.
    Furthermore I don't believe Nicky will get judged fairly by the juries, it is obvious that well known acts always get voted down by the juries. But that's another topic.

My favourites so far are Austria with Loin d'ici, Germany with Ghosts, Ireland with Sunlight. Judging from the studio versions.

I will catch up with all of the releases songs on Sunday. Then I'll tell you what I think who has a chance of winning (if performed well).

It's difficult to judge all of them fairly. Some have released the live performances of the national shows. Other promo clips.
    I got the studio versions of all of them and of course once the CD gets released I'll buy it as usual.

I haven't heard all of them I must say, too many just came in so to speak during the last 8 days.

As you know Ireland is my favourite so far. I've seen Westlife live 8 times and yes I am a huge fan of them, so naturally I couldn't be happier to finally see at least a part of them at the ESC. I will never understand why they never went to the ESC by the way.
    Although I don't see Nicky winning the contest, I hope he will end up in the Top 10. That would make me very happy. It will all depend on the overall performance.
    Furthermore I don't believe Nicky will get judged fairly by the juries, it is obvious that well known acts always get voted down by the juries. But that's another topic.

My favourites so far are Austria with Loin d'ici, Germany with Ghosts, Ireland with Sunlight. Judging from the studio versions.

I will catch up with all of the releases songs on Sunday. Then I'll tell you what I think who has a chance of winning (if performed well).

Some countries though are showing already quite a finished product. Eesti Laul (Estonian National Final), Supernova (Latvia), Melodifestivalen (Sweden), A Dal (Hungary) and Melodi Grand Prix (Norway) usually introduce us to almost near=perfect audiovisual total packages that will probably copy-pasted to the Stockholm stage. I actually think that of Austria too.

I'm very serious about it, because this year I'm going to invest €5000 Euro on a diverse portfolio of bets via http://www.oddschecker.com/tv/eurovision/winner :-). It's not my money, but I will get 25% of the winnings ;-).
    Anyone has seen the above Estonian entry?
    Listening to the 25 songs I got so far.

France really is great. Sadly it will have no chance of winning as French is more or less a language-non-grata at the ESC, something I will never understand.

Estonia I have yet to download. I'll listen to it shortly.
    Listening to the 25 songs I got so far.

France really is great. Sadly it will have no chance of winning as French is more or less a language-non-grata at the ESC, something I will never understand.

Estonia I have yet to download. I'll listen to it shortly.

You can watch the performance above ;-). You'll love it, as you're a Bond fan too ;-).

Language at Eurovision? It's such an overestimated concept. Belgium came 2nd in 2003 with a non-existent fantasy language. France came 5th in 2002 with 100% tlevoting no less (we have jury's these days). Serbia won in 2007 in...Serbian.

Moreover, the French entry for the most part is in English. Solely on language you can't judge the success of a Eurovision entry.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Well, J'ai cherché by Amir is now my favourite, if performed well, this will be in the Top 10 for certain.

What about the Dutch song? Musically, it's one of the best I'd say. Sure, not winning material, but a great addition in a very mediocre year so far.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vytgHD2pqyk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    After listening to the 28 songs known so far for the whole day and watching the promo clips and some live performances from the national shows my first conclusion is this:

I have yet to hear a winner song.
    If that were the complete field I'd say Russia has the best shot of winning. Not only is the singer damn hot but he has a strong voice (as usual for Russian performers) and the song is a 100% ESC fit.

Second is France. The song is sung partially in English which could make this a winner. It is somewhat resembling last year's winner song in style, that could be a disadvantage but the song itself is that good that I think it shouldn't hurt his chances for a very good result in the Finals.

Sadly those two are the only songs I see having a chance of actually winning the contest so far.
    As usual final judgement on that can only be made once all songs have been seen and heard in the ESC semi-finals. There can always be a surprise performance of a song that seems rather ordinary on CD.

This year sees 3 hard-rock songs. All three are quite good with Cpyrus probably having the best and probably ending up in the Top 10 if not much higher!

Ireland with Nicky from Westlife, although brilliant and normally a sure Top 5 song will not have much of a chance. As he is famous around Europe, the juries will down vote it as they usually do with widely known artists. One of the many reasons why juries are just wrong.

Here are France, Russia and Cyprus:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w7hRZS-nLhY"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kQMSPkGoQrY"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lsH2KKInYH0"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Ooowh, I'd say the same about France :-). I even think he's a wonderful charismatic singer on stage. Have a look at this live performance:

Amir reminds me a bit of Dotan. A very popular Dutch singer.

Regarding the Dutch entry? I was rather disappointed at first listening. It's not instant enough.
    @Gustav_Graves

Ouch...the guy is hot property for sure, but call the fashion police and get rid of those girls for Christ's sake :))
    They have to seriously better the overall performance, the ESC is merciless :))

Thanks for that video :) nonetheless
    @Gustav_Graves

Ouch...the guy is hot property for sure, but call the fashion police and get rid of those girls for Christ's sake :))

Which guy :-P?
    @Gustav_Graves

Which guy :-P?

The French guy, Amir :)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,015
    Language's not an issue ?

Last 20 years winner : 18 of 20 sung in English, and only once it was from UK
    The 20 years before : 8 sung in English, and all of these 8 were from UK or Ireland, so they were actually singing in their language.

Now you have to forget your culture to win Eurovision it seems. Sad but true.

Language's not an issue ?

Last 20 years winner : 18 of 20 sung in English, and only once it was from UK
    The 20 years before : 8 sung in English, and all of these 8 were from UK or Ireland, so they were actually singing in their language.

Now you have to forget your culture to win Eurovision it seems. Sad but true.

Absolutely, and sadly, the eastern European countries that used to sing in their language slowly but steadily changed to English.
    Last year 7 out of 40 songs in other language than English.
    This year 5 so far of which Albania probably, as last year, will change to English in the last minute and maybe others as well.

Even Spain, now changed to sing in English. Not even Spanglish.

Sometimes I wish they would introduce the language rule again, but then I'm against rules.
    Is language not an overrated subject in music?
    I GIVE YOU THIS YEAR'S WINNER OF THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2EG_Jtw4OyU"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and no, it's no joke, Australia belongs to Europe since last year :)
    Huh? I thought it was a one time occurrence.
    Huh? I thought it was a one time occurrence.

It was decided to include Australia again, the decision to include them permanently or not is still pending. But now that they will win this year, it's obvious they'll be there for at least a third time.
    Just one thing : The ESC is not reserved to only european countries, but to all of those who belong to the European Broadcasting Union. And that includes a lot of non-european countries, like Tunisia or Israel. And Australia is an associate member :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Gerard wrote: »
    Just one thing : The ESC is not reserved to only european countries, but to all of those who belong to the European Broadcasting Union. And that includes a lot of non-european countries, like Tunisia or Israel. And Australia is an associate member :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union

I think Australia is 200% welcome. More so than their big commonwealth-brother United Kingdom who treat the contest like dogshit. At least Australia takes it seriously.

By the way, people tend to forget these 1st participations:
    --> 1973: 1st participation of Israel (Belongs to Western-Asia)
    --> 1980: 1st participation of Morocco (Belongs to Africa)
    --> 1981: 1st participation of Cyprus (Belongs to Western-Asia)
    --> 1986: 1st participation of Iceland (Belongs to Frodo :-P)
    --> 2008: 1st participation of Azerbaijan (Belongs to Western-Asia)
    --> 2015: 1st participation of Australia

By the way, here are two other strong entries from this year:

Czech Republic:

Croatia:

Armenia:

And yet to be chosen, the act from Sweden. I hope Wiktoria ('Save Me') or Frans ('If I Were Sorry') wins :-):

You can all watch the Swedish Melodifestivalen via this weblink (webstream):
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/timeline

I think these are the real contenders for the victory and a TOP 15 spot in the final (Remember there are 43 participating countries):

01. France
    (02. Sweden, if it's Wiktoria)
    02. Australia
    03. Russia
    (04. Sweden, if it's Frans)
    04. Latvia
    05. Ukraine
    06. Germany
    07. Armenia
    08. Estonia
    09. Czech Republic
    10. F.Y.R.Macedonia