The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited March 2016 Posts: 9,020
    @Gustav_Graves

I agree with your Top 3, I have yet to hear the Swedish and Italian entries.

Russia may be a bit too calculated a song and performance, reminds me somewhat of Sakis Rouvas and Dima Bilan, but in a field that is so weak, it could win.

France would be my favourite, sadly I have seen THAT national live performance. That has to be much better at the ESC or he will be somewhere around 20.

Australia will win, that's my prediction for now. Not only is the song very, very much in style of what's in the charts at the moment (Sia, Ellie Goulding etc) but she looks beautiful and can sing live very well.

I see you didn't include Cyprus (maybe you're not into rock music) but it's obvious this has a shot at a Top 3 placing if the live performance will rock ;)
    This kind of rock song has had big success in the past.

The UK will finish last or somewhere between 22 and 25. While the song may sound ok on CD the live "performance" makes me wish Electro Velvet would participate again and I hated them.
  • GBFGBF
    You know that Cyprus is a member of the EU??

But anyway, I think it is good that Australia participates. Last year's song was better than most of the other songs. And this time this seem to be also the case.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    As an Aussie, I am very glad that they let us participate. It is very popular down here, and for those of us who are into it, we do take it very seriously. Thus far, I think both our entries have been fantastic, but I do worry what will happen if they let us in permanently. Big names tend to avoid Eurovision, so don't expect Kylie, Sia or Iggy any time soon, which cuts it down to the reality show reject pile of genuine talent, and that ain't that big. I shudder to think what we will end up sending should this become a regular thing.

Also, who will host it if we win? The UK?
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    As an Aussie, I am very glad that they let us participate. It is very popular down here, and for those of us who are into it, we do take it very seriously. Thus far, I think both our entries have been fantastic, but I do worry what will happen if they let us in permanently. Big names tend to avoid Eurovision, so don't expect Kylie, Sia or Iggy any time soon, which cuts it down to the reality show reject pile of genuine talent, and that ain't that big. I shudder to think what we will end up sending should this become a regular thing.

Also, who will host it if we win? The UK?

Big names usually don't attend the ESC, so Kylie would be out of the question anyway, maybe in 15 years as the only big names that attended the ESC always were "has-beens".

Last year, if Australia had won, the UK would have hosted.
    This year there is no clear statement of what would happen in such a case only that the ESC 2017 would not take place in Australia.
  • GBFGBF
    I have taken a listen to all the nominated songs on youtube. There are also some ranking videos. I quiet like some of the songs. But watching the ranking videos it seems as most of them ( Finland, Belgium, Netherlands, Montenegro, Georgia, Israel) won't even make it to the final competition.

What songs do I like from the remaining ones:

Australia, Germany, France, Cyprus, Malta, Italy and Hungaria (the last two one are Ok but noting special)

Which songs do I totally disklike:

Russia (I really hate this Iglesias, Divan type song), Moldova, Albania, Austria, Norway, Denmark, Ireland

The other ones I just don't care much about (UK, Swizzerland, Iceland, Armenia, Spain)
    Australia gets some serious competition from Azerbaijan!

<iframe width="761" height="428" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dix6XJ_Uo-w"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Isn't the show two months from now? :)) Why not save all the fuzz for later?
    jobo wrote: »

What would you do if you were both a Bond fan and a Eurovision fan ;-)?

It's called pleasant anticipation :)

@Gustav_Graves

So what do you think will win?
    The Australian, Azerbajian or Russian entry?
    I don't see how anyone else could win, maybe you can?
  • GBFGBF
    I suppose that France has a good chance, and unfortuantely also that Russian song. I don't know why but there are probably many people who like that kind of music. Australia won't win because they probably don't have many natural supporters (neighbour countries, Australians living abroad,..).

Other candidates are: Hungary, Spain, Iceland and Latvia. I haven't listened to the Azerbajian song yet.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The current odds to win from eurovisionworld.com

sJi39aT.png

It's called pleasant anticipation :)

@Gustav_Graves

So what do you think will win?
    The Australian, Azerbajian or Russian entry?
    I don't see how anyone else could win, maybe you can?

France.

From the three you mentioned? Australia.

Russia? It's all perfectionalism. But Russians can't buy authenticity, purity and sincere heartfelt emotions. Russia fails on that aspect.

Azerbaijan? Pure song-wise it's a winner. But having seen some live performances of the performing artist, I was underwhelmed. She isn't a good singer.

Don't underestimate these countries either. They have very good chances to make the TOP 10:
    --> Sweden
    --> Armenia
    --> Latvia
    --> Estonia
    --> Ukraine
    --> Germany
    --> Croatia
    --> Netherlands
    --> Serbia
    --> Austria
    It all will depend, as usual, on the overall quality of the performance.
    After the two semi-finals it will be clear, probably, who will win.

For now my bet is on Australia, Russia and Azerbaijan.

While France's song is my absolute favourite this year and the only song this year besides Ireland's that makes it into my "hall of ESC fame", I can't see it winning unless the performance will be much more convincing than the ones I have seen so far.
    Of course should Amir win I will be in Heaven and it would be the first time ever that my favourite song (not performance) wins.
    Performance wise my favourites have won quite a lot, Rise Like A Phoenix, Euphoria, Every Way That I Can, Wild Dances, My Number One, Fairytale, Satellite.
    It all will depend, as usual, on the overall quality of the performance.
    After the two semi-finals it will be clear, probably, who will win.

For now my bet is on Australia, Russia and Azerbaijan.

While France's song is my absolute favourite this year and the only song this year besides Ireland's that makes it into my "hall of ESC fame", I can't see it winning unless the performance will be much more convincing than the ones I have seen so far.
    Of course should Amir win I will be in Heaven and it would be the first time ever that my favourite song (not performance) wins.
    Performance wise my favourites have won quite a lot, Rise Like A Phoenix, Euphoria, Every Way That I Can, Wild Dances, My Number One, Fairytale, Satellite.

Just have a look at these live performances from Samra (Azerbaijan):

Although 'Miracle' is a winning song, I think Amir as a singer is a way better live performer than Samra. By jolly, if Samra sings like that in Stockholm :-O.

I think we have to agree on Australia then. Still, I need to see her performing it 'live'. Same with Russia. And especially Azerbaijan. Because she just isn't a good live performer.

What do you think of these live performances? When it comes down to live performances, I think these are all TOP 10 worthy

• GBFGBF
    edited March 2016 Posts: 3,195
    I have now listened to all 42 performers except for Bulgaria. Here is my personal ranking on this:

1) Czech Republic: A very great and emotional song. Very fresh and unique. Certainly stands out. It will certainly make it into the finals and reach a place between 10 and 20.
    2) Australia: A great modern and very catchy pop song with a very powerfull chorus. A female singer with a great voice; will reach the finals and reach a place in the Top 5.
    3) France: Very catchy and nice pop song. Very memorable, the French / English switch works surprisingly well. Will be in the Top 3.
    4) Montenegro: An amazing song, I can still not figure out the genre but it sounds very fresh, it has rock, electro and psychodelic elements, very fresh and unique. Has no chance to make it into the finals.
    5) Germany: OK I am German but that is not the reason why I like this song. The melody is great, the chorus is memorable. A very catchy and unique song. Top 10 is possible.
    6) Netherlands: I like this country song with a cozy and positive atmosphere. There is just nothing wrong with this song. Will probably make it into the finals. Top 20 is possible.
    7) Finnland: I like funk music and this song reminds me of 70s funk. Very positive and the chorus is extremely catchy. Will be difficult to qualify for the finals.
    8) Cyprus: A strong and very powerfull rock song. Very modern. Will make it into the finals and reach top 15 or even top 10.
    9) Hungary: I like it. Catchy song with a powerfall chorus. Will be in the finals, Top 10 or 15 at least.
    10) Italy: nice and emotonal song and the Italian language always sounds so very beautiful. Top 10 but probably not a top 5 song.
    11) Israel: A very strong and emotional ballad with a great chorus. Won't make it into the finals.
    12) Spain: The song has grown on me. Catchy meldody and great voice, great performance and dance. For me this is a secret favourite. Think of betting on it.
    13) Belgium: Similar to Finland, just a little weaker. Won't make it into the finals.
    14) Croatia: Nice ballad, reminds me on "The Cranberries". Solid and unique. Top 15 or even top 10.
    15) Iceland: Great show, song is not bad, too. Top 15 or even 10.
    16) Malta: I don't know why but somehow I like this song, especially the chorus. Will have problems for qualifying to the finals.
    17) Ukraine: Very unique song. Still not really sure about it. Will be in the finals, top 15 but probably not in the top 10.
    18) Armenia: Not really sure about this one. It is cool but also not really that catchy. Average quality. Will be in the finals but not in the top 10.
    19) Georgia: Very unique song. I really like it, great sound effects. Won't have any chance to make it into the finals.
    20) Switzerland: OK song but nothing really special. Will be difficult to make it into the finals.
    21) Estonia: Unique song. Not really memorable and a bit boring. Will be in the top 20.
    22) UK: Nothing really special about this song, it doesn't harm anyone but does really someone love and vote for it? Probably not. Will probably be at the bottom in the finals.
    23) Slovenia: Very generic pop rock song with silly lyrics. Won't make it to the finals.
    24) Latvia: Don't understand the love that this song gets. Will probably be in the top 10.
    25) Serbia: I don't really like the song. It's not really catchy. Will be in the top 20.
    26) Azerbaijan: Don't really like this one. Not really catchy. Top 15 or even top 10.
    27) Norway: This song has grown on me a little bit, but still it is not that great. Will make it into the finals.
    28) Belarussia: The song itself is not that bad but the voice just doesn't work for me. No chance to make it to the finals.
    29) Albania: Strong voice but a forgettable song. Will be difficult to make it to the finals.
    30) Greece: Not catchy at all and kind of boring. Won't make it to the finals.
    31) Macedonia: forgettable song. Will be difficult to make it to the finals.
    32) Sweden: not a bad but completely boring song. Won't be a big success, maybe top 15.
    33) Lithuania: forgettable generic esc song. Will probably make it to the finals.
    34) Ireland: Sounds like Ronan Keating and I never liked him. No finals.
    35) Bosnia: I just dislike this folkloric songs with a modern sound. Will be difficult to make it into the finals.
    36) Moldova: generic ESC song. Will probably not make it to the finals.
    37) Denmark: I just dislike boy bands. Will be in the finals, but not Top 20.
    38) Austria: very monotonous and I hate the techno beat. Will be in the finals.
    39) Russia: I know many people like it but I find it horrendous. Top 3.
    40) Poland: Just boring. Not sure what people think about it. Probably no finals.
    41) Romania: Horrible Manowar parody. Hopefull no chance for the finals.
    42) San Marino: Has meanwhile everyone else from SM participated? No chance for the finals.

Finally well yes I think Spain will make it.
    @GBF

A great review. Thanks for this! I will do this as well.

I am Swiss, I like the Swiss song but of course, as usual, the chances of getting into the finals are not very high, it's just too forgettable.

As for Ms Kriewitz, I bought Ghost on iTunes long before it was chosen for the ESC. I love that song and I find her very unique. She has a Björk like quality look-wise. And she comes across very natural. I wouldn't be surprised if she would surprise everyone and land in the Top 5. But of course, it's also possible it won't work.
  • GBFGBF
    Thanks, yes it is nice to have some discussion about it. Of course opinions vary extrmely but this is the fun. I think the Swiss singer has a very beautifull voice and the song is very nice too. Maybe it has the problem that it just does not stand out very much, like the German song last year.
    On youtube there are quiet many ranking videos. I noticed that Spain was quiet successfull there (often No. 1 or 2). Hoever the current odds don't really reflect it. On the contrary I don't think that Sweden has any chance to win the competition. Not only don't people usually vote for the previous winner but also the song does not really stand out very much.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Here's my preliminary prediction :-). It's only TOP 18, but all other 25 entries lack the 'zest' to enter my list. Or to at least make an appearance on the left hand side of the scoreboard :-)

hwQbRg2.jpg
    Anyone? :P

Any Americans????
    Sadly, Russia will/could win. It's this year's Heroes, calculated with help of projected images, a good-looking, sexy ok-ish singing young guy.
    Teenies, housewives, grandmas, straight and gay, everybody will like it.

My hopes are on Australia to get the win.

After last year though, nothing is certain, as the juries now have the certainty that they can undo a landslide victory in the televote.
    Who knows what those 200 people will like over the several million that are sitting in front of the TV.
    Sadly, Russia will/could win. It's this year's Heroes, calculated with help of projected images, a good-looking, sexy ok-ish singing young guy.
    Teenies, housewives, grandmas, straight and gay, everybody will like it.

My hopes are on Australia to get the win.

After last year though, nothing is certain, as the juries now have the certainty that they can undo a landslide victory in the televote.
    Who knows what those 200 people will like over the several million that are sitting in front of the TV.

This is the artist who could win the 61st Eurovision Song Contest. Marvellous singer, fantastic timing with his vocals, when you understand how difficult it is to sing this song. Amir is oozing charisma:

• edited March 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Heard, analyzed all available live performances now. I think the winner needs to be sought within these four countries:
    RUSSIA
    FRANCE
    SWEDEN
    AUSTRALIA
    Two outsiders I'd like to mention too:
    LATVIA
    AUSTRIA

Then there's a list of countries I could see in the TOP 10 of the final, but who lack IMO that bit of 'extra' to win it:
    ESTONIA
    AZERBAIJAN
    ARMENIA
    CROATIA
    UKRAINE
    GERMANY
    SERBIA
    CYPRUS
    HUNGARY
    NETHERLANDS
    CZECH REPUBLIC
    Sweden is a rip off.
    Shawn Mendes: Stitches

We'll see if that works.
  • GBFGBF
    Heard, analyzed all available live performances now. I think the winner needs to be sought within these four countries:
    RUSSIA
    FRANCE
    SWEDEN
    AUSTRALIA
    Two outsiders I'd like to mention too:
    LATVIA
    AUSTRIA

Then there's a list of countries I could see in the TOP 10 of the final, but who lack IMO that bit of 'extra' to win it:
    ESTONIA
    AZERBAIJAN
    ARMENIA
    CROATIA
    UKRAINE
    GERMANY
    SERBIA
    CYPRUS
    HUNGARY
    NETHERLANDS
    CZECH REPUBLIC

I agree largely. I only don't think that Sweden will be that successfull. Mainly because people (critics) do not tend to support the previous winner and I also think that the song misses something. I find it a bit repetitive and watching the ranking videos on youtube it is often ranked somewhere near the middle.

On the contrary, I think one should keep an eye on Spain. It is not one of my favourite songs but it is very catchy and very popular at least among youtubers. I think it will not win but be in the top10 certainly.

Another issue is that the first Semi final is very tough this year. Many of the songs you mentioned are in that Semi final together with Greece, Bosnia, Iceland, Malta (countries with a high amount of "natural" voters). It will allready be very difficult to make it to the Grand final. I would be a pity if Czech Republic is again not in the Final just because of this. I find the song to be very beautifull.

Look what I did :-D:
    A3qC8Cj.jpg

All the scoreboard designs from the 1995 Eurovision Song Contest (Dublin, Ireland) until the 2015 Contest (in Vienna, Austria)
    Anyone?
    @Gustav_Graves

very cool collage! More interesting than this meh... ESC year with almost only mediocre songs. I more or less stopped listening to the songs a week ago, that's a new one for me. Usually I have heard them countless times once the shows arrive :)
    @Gustav_Graves

very cool collage! More interesting than this meh... ESC year with almost only mediocre songs. I more or less stopped listening to the songs a week ago, that's a new one for me. Usually I have heard them countless times once the shows arrive :)

One has to say that there aren't very bad acts either. There's indeed no 'clear winner' at this stage. Fo me the field looks a bit like 2014 and 2011: No clear favourites pre-rehearsal.

Having said that, I have made my TOP 43 of all Eurovision entries:
    3395yYT.jpg

Mind you, the TOP 43 is a logical 'average of total packages'. With that I mean that I judged every entry on available 'live performances. Then I judged for every entry these seven sub-items. And for every sub-item I gave a rating in stars (out of 10 stars):

--> SONG/MELODY
    --> Charisma performer ('X-Factor')
    --> Voice/Vocals performer
    --> Staging Effectiveness (Lighting, Camera's, Props)
    --> Possible Appeal w. Juries
    --> Possible Appeal w. Televoters
    --> Potential of Winning
    --> VOTING AVERAGE / COHERENT TOTAL PACKAGE

The 'sub-item' 'SONG/MELODY' I mentioned on the image as well, as this is the most important element of a good total package
    How would your TOP 43 prediction look like @BondJasonBond006 right now?
    ?