The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    One of the few good songs this year:

NORWAY @Thunderfinger

Almost as good as Margaret Berger some years ago.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/S2GUS-3T7cU"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I loved Margaret. Here is Agnete and her old band 8 years ago, when they won Eurovisin Junior.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 11,119
    Well, I took the liberty of predicting the qualifiers already in my article:
    https://songfestivalwerk.wordpress.com/2016/05/09/stockholm-2016-■-voorspelling-qualifiers/

Qualifiers Semi Final #1:
    voorspelling-1e-halve-finale-20161.jpg

Qualifiers Semi Final #2:
    voorspelling-2e-halve-finale-20161.jpg

Ranking Big 5 + Sweden from best to worst chance of success:
    ranking-6-finalisten-20161.jpg

Some clarification:
    – Behind every country you’ll find a green diamond. I expect those countries to be on the left hand side of the scoreboard (TOP 13) upcoming Saturday
    – If one of the 9th or 10th qualifiers won’t make it, then I think one of my four ‘shock qualifiers’ could sneak in
    – I think it’s safe to say that the Big 5 + the organizing country are strong this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see three of the five Big 5 countries back in the TOP 13
    – Semi Final #1 seems to be the weaker semi final
    – I already took into account the draw for 1st or 2nd half for the 6 finalists

I haven't made a prediction of the TOP 13 of the grand final yet. But one thing I can say: UKRAINE seems to have the best cards of winning the contest for the 2nd time since 2004. If it happens, then by default it will be one of the best winners since Norway won in 1995 with the celtic etno-folk entry "Nocturne".

This entry has a certain Kate Bush feel to it. It's artistically very relevant and it will deafen all the criticism that Eurovision is only about bad cheesy circus acts:

And don't underestimate the UK. They have had some admirable rehearsals and they are contesting the TOP 13 now with Netherlands and Belgium. These are the odds from 09.05.2015:

GVvz3RR.png

@GG
    What are you smoking?
    Ukraine with 1944 will win?????
    It sooner will snow in Texas in July.
    The UK boys will finish in the twenties unless their live singing improves 1000%
    Otherwise reasonable predictions.
    @GG
    What are you smoking?
    The UK boys will finish in the twenties unless their live singing improves 1000%

Ukraine really impressed during the rehearsals. Similar to Netherlands in 2014. Be prepared for a shocker then.
    Look what I did :-D:
    A3qC8Cj.jpg

All the scoreboard designs from the 1995 Eurovision Song Contest (Dublin, Ireland) until the 2015 Contest (in Vienna, Austria)

This is pretty neat actually. Good job (y)
    @GG
    What are you smoking?

So! Time to give your 10 qualifiers Jason ;-)
    @GG
    What are you smoking?

To be honest the only songs I care about tonight are Croatia's beautiful Lighthouse, Cyprus and maybe Azerbaijan.
    If they make it to the finals I'll be happy.
    RUSSIA will win tonight in a landslide (televote). Not even the juries will prevent it from qualifying even if undoubtably they will try.
    @GG
    What are you smoking?

RUSSIA will win tonight in a landslide (televote). Not even the juries will prevent it from qualifying even if undoubtably they will try.

You make it sound like you hate it....

You also sound so...negative. It's a fun tv show man. Relax :-).
    @GG
    What are you smoking?

You make it sound like you hate it....

You also sound so...negative. It's a fun tv show man. Relax :-).

Usually this is the main event of the year for me since 2003.
    I admit last year's upset win of Sweden killed it for me. When the votes came in I thought they make a mistake of sorts as it was impossible that Italy would do so badly. Of course nobody suspected that the juries would effectively turn the biggest landslide victory ever into a third place as split results were only made available after Sunday.
    Don't underestimate the negative impact this had on the general ESC community. I'm in three ESC forums every year and all hell broke lose about the juries especially since only a few caused that upset win, there was no even pattern in all juries.

The reaction of the live audience also spoke volumes.

I know the rules and they have to be accepted but it's valid to question them.

Still I'm looking forward to tonight and the other two shows.
    I love and adore Petra Mede, she alone will make it worthwile to watch the event.

Also don't get the wrong impression because of my anger with the jury system, I am 100% ESC mad since 15 years and I have a huge collection of memorabilia, all the DVDs CDs and countless Albums of acts that participated once. I attended the shows on site in 6 different years, including Düsseldorf and Baku!

I'm getting excited just now typing this down to see the first semi final tonight :)
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    OMG!!!

THE NETHERLANDS HAVE JUST BECOME MY NEW FAVOURITE!!!!

That Douwe Bob is spectacularly good (-looking) and what a fabulous song!!

And he qualified for the final, of course!

First semi-final is over and this is what I think.

Overall the worst semi-final ever, half of the songs sound exactly the same because they are all composed and produced by Swedish songwriters and producers. Really, the ESC should change the rules on that.

Sadly the ESC didn't live up to the promise to finally present the already qualified big 5 countries in the semi-final. As usual only a small clip was shown, this time from the rehearsal instead of the promo-clips. LAME!!!

Furthermore AGAIN disqualification of a jury member of Russia this time, even before the show has started. The EBU (European Broadcast Union) has made an official statement. When will they finally realise that the Juries have to go?

Some good performances have prevailed and have qualified like the very sweet Austrian entry. Also the hard-rock entry from Cyprus made it. I'm so glad.

Russia naturally has made it into the finals as well. But he won't win it because it's a blatant rip-off from last year's Heroes. And even Heroes only made the third place in the tele vote and only won because of the juries. So no chance for Russia to win as history has shown, that repeating last year's winner never works.

The highlight of the evening was Petra Mede the presenter. She is just fabulous and so hilariously funny.

The second semi-final will probably be much better as it seems the strongest songs are there.

From tonight's acts THE NETHERLANDS is definitely the best one, by far.

Here it is:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ecBfHFvzu3g"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    I was glad to see Austria and Armenia making it. Couldn t care less about the rest.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited May 2016 Posts: 1,727
    As I've said before - please let Russia win it, so that Putin is forced to stage the globe's largest unofficial gay-event in his own back yard :))

And then I'd hope all the guys & girls camp it up big time just to irritate him. The look on his face would simply be priceless...
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Four songs in and already the first semi final was better than last years battle of the ballad. But having said that, a ballad will probably win this year.

I really could have done without Mans Zelmerlow co-hosting, Petra Mede is amazing. She doesn't need the help.

But more annoyingly, has Sweden run out of interval acts? Two Swedes co-wrote a Justin Timberlake song, so now he's performing at the final? That's even less needed than a naked Belarussian performing with a pack of wolves.
    So far only The Netherlands and Russia look lke potential winners.

The Dutch don't seem to understand the concept. Their music is too good and they lack the gimmicks. We want bearded ladies, card tricks, punk metal etc etc
    But your example above was second place in the finals in 2014!
    And I'm pretty sure Douwe Bob won the semi-finals yesterday (the detailed result will only be known after the final).
    patb wrote: »

The Dutch don't seem to understand the concept. Their music is too good and they lack the gimmicks. We want bearded ladies, card tricks, punk metal etc etc

Some people don't seem to understand that Eurovision still is about good music ;-). If you become runner-up at Eurovision you DO something right. Then Europe wants that...

By the way @BondJasonBond006? I was quite sceptical about Netherlands beforehand. But after watching the performance yesterday....I got the goosebumps baby! By jolly, is this guy oozing charisma. And then a lovely Ï love you too baby!" during the 12 sec interval. It's a stroke of a genius!

Here he is again:

Ooowh, and some articles I found:

Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet:
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/melodifestivalen/article22795928.ab

German newspaper Die Stern:
    http://www.stern.de/kultur/musik/esc-2016–wow-douwe—kann-dieser-hollaender-russland-besiegen–6844640.html

British newspaper Telegraph:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/05/10/eurovision-semi-final-1-armenia-estonia-and-montenegro-battle-wi/

Justin Bieber responding on the official performance:
    EzOyVfF.png

By the way, the entire BeNe-minus-Lux is amazing. Would be something if Belgium and Netherlands will fight for a TOP 5 spot in the final.
    @Gustav_Graves

I'm glad you like Douwe Bob now. And something else, the way his first name is pronounced is pure sex, I would say his name forever if he was my boyfriend :))
    Petra Mede seemed to have the hots for him as well :)

Belgium belongs to my Top 3 anyway so I hope she will have a good live performance.

If there is not another surprise in the second semi final, I think Douwe Bob could indeed make it to No 3, 2 or even....one can dream...

by the way, is Douwe a typical Dutch name?
    @Gustav_Graves

I'm glad you like Douwe Bob now. And something else, the way his first name is pronounced is pure sex, I would say his name forever if he was my boyfriend :))
    Petra Mede seemed to have the hots for him as well :)

Belgium belongs to my Top 3 anyway so I hope she will have a good live performance.

If there is not another surprise in the second semi final, I think Douwe Bob could indeed make it to No 3, 2 or even....one can dream...

by the way, is Douwe a typical Dutch name?

Laura apparently nailed it during the first dress rehearsal a moment ago. I have a feeling.....that Netherlands and Belgium will be fighting each other's buts off in the grand final.
    She fastens her dress with nails? Tough lady.
    OMG @Gustav_Graves I found something you have to see. PM is following.
    Thank you for not showing your private parts on the board.
    :))

as if...

nope, but that Dutch hotboy went naked on twitter, according to GG it went viral. He has some amazing tattoos ;)
    How many countries have a Bond related title this year?
    I guess the one closest to a Bond theme is this:

Musically this is one of my favourites this year. She has won The Voice Of Germany and her album is really great, very melancholic and dreamy. She creates all her outfits herself and is a huge Manga fan and only 18 years old.
    It's not the typically catchy tune that usually is heard at the ESC. Therefore I think she has no chances of getting very high.

With a bit of different production this could very well be a Bond theme:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avyMGbuna3w"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Ok, so I thought after the first semi final it can't get worse. But it did.
    Although there were like 4 - 5 rather good performances in the first semi-final the one tonight really offered nothing, except Australia that really shined.

Belgium was quite good as well. The rest really either sounded all the same or were horrible drama ballads like Macedonia's or Ukraine's.

One exception. Georgia. I really liked that, totally anti-ESC and totally cool. As soon as there is a video I'll post it. It already caught my attention on the CD. The performance is something else.

AUSTRALIA
    RUSSIA
    THE NETHERLANDS

one of those three will win the finals unless one of the other 6 nations that didn't have to go through the semis is better, although at this point that only could be FRANCE.
    I'm a sucker for 80s funk - Belgium all the way
    Probable winner of the ESC

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jA16qQA4ik0"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the most unusual and musically interesting act this year, I love it!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ftDB6D7RXso"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

finally one of my favourites this year overall which hopefully will make it into the Top 10

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IMZH2w7IfhM"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    The best entry didn t even make it, naturally: Albania.

Of the ones that did, only Belgium, Georgia and Ukraine were any good.