The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• GBFGBF
    A nice ranking. I am still not sure about the Sedish entry. But I also have not yet seen his live performance.

By the way, today I sadly had to read this article:

"Today the famous German Jazz singer Roger Cicero has passed away at the age of 45.

He became more famous to European people outside of Germany by representing Germany at Eurovision 2007 with the jazzy “Frauern regier’n die Welt”. He died of a stroke last Thursday.

His death follows a long battle with acute fatigue syndrome and suspected myocarditis, a troublesome heart condition, which led the singer to cancel a series of concerts last November. He had planned to resume the sold-out tour in April."
    GBF wrote: »
    A nice ranking. I am still not sure about the Sedish entry. But I also have not yet seen his live performance.

By the way, today I sadly had to read this article:

"Today the famous German Jazz singer Roger Cicero has passed away at the age of 45.

He became more famous to European people outside of Germany by representing Germany at Eurovision 2007 with the jazzy “Frauern regier’n die Welt”. He died of a stroke last Thursday.

His death follows a long battle with acute fatigue syndrome and suspected myocarditis, a troublesome heart condition, which led the singer to cancel a series of concerts last November. He had planned to resume the sold-out tour in April."

Yes, I heard it :-(. This is his performance on the Eurovision Song Contest 2007 in Helsinki:

He came only 19th. But that was with the 100% televoting era. A few months later the Head of Delegation of Ireland released -against strict orders of the EBU- the back-up jury results. In the combined 50% jury / 50% televote results Roger Cicero would have become 6th!

It was the first step towards re-introduction of the juries at the Eurovision Song Contest. Two years later, during the final of the 2009 Contest in Moscow, the official result finally was the combined 50% jury / 50% televote.

I know @BondJasonBond006 isn't very fond of the juries. But I tell you this: the brains of televoters suffer much more from 'selective Alzheimer'. Juries have to watch every performance, and make notes of every entry. Obviously it didn't help that back in 2007 Roger Cicero was smashed in between Russia (3rd) and Serbia (1st) / Ukraine (2nd). Televoters completely forgot the more stylish quality of Mr Cicero.

Hence why I am very very grateful that we have juries again. If only the late Mr Cicero would have witnessed that :-(. R.I.P. Roger!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Gustav_Graves

Cicero's death is quite a shock in Germany and Switzerland. A sad day indeed. He was quite successful since 2007 here.
    @Gustav_Graves

very cool collage! More interesting than this meh... ESC year with almost only mediocre songs. I more or less stopped listening to the songs a week ago, that's a new one for me. Usually I have heard them countless times once the shows arrive :)

One has to say that there aren't very bad acts either. There's indeed no 'clear winner' at this stage. Fo me the field looks a bit like 2014 and 2011: No clear favourites pre-rehearsal.

Having said that, I have made my TOP 43 of all Eurovision entries:
    3395yYT.jpg

Mind you, the TOP 43 is a logical 'average of total packages'. With that I mean that I judged every entry on available 'live performances. Then I judged for every entry these seven sub-items. And for every sub-item I gave a rating in stars (out of 10 stars):

--> SONG/MELODY
    --> Charisma performer ('X-Factor')
    --> Voice/Vocals performer
    --> Staging Effectiveness (Lighting, Camera's, Props)
    --> Possible Appeal w. Juries
    --> Possible Appeal w. Televoters
    --> Potential of Winning
    --> VOTING AVERAGE / COHERENT TOTAL PACKAGE

The 'sub-item' 'SONG/MELODY' I mentioned on the image as well, as this is the most important element of a good total package

Anyone else care to weigh in :-)?
    I will in approx. one week, I do have to watch all the performances and listen to the songs more carefully once more.
    I don't know how you good people manage to watch this! :-t
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Very simple.

1. Turn on the TV.
    2. Choose the channel where the ESC will be broadcast.
    3. Provide enough crisps, beer, popcorn.
    4. Enjoy.

Very simple.

1. Turn on the TV.
    4. Enjoy.

You are without doubt a better man than me! ;)
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 11,119

Very simple.

1. Turn on the TV.
    4. Enjoy.

You are without doubt a better man than me! ;)

Seriously....just give it a try man. Eurovision has greatly improved in the past 10 years. I mean, if you hate these entries, then you hate all music. And be a sport.....just give below songs a chance.

First, the recently released 'LIVE' version of this year's entry from The Netherlands:
    http://picosong.com/NZAJ

And some other recent fantastic entries:

??
    Sadly this is the weakest year since at least 2002, maybe this equals even the horrid 2001.

Sure I have found "my" favourite in France. I even pre-ordered Amir's album on iTunes.
    But it would actually be the first time that my actual favourite song (not performance) will win.

Last year that would have been Maraaya-Here For You (Slovenia).
    Last year's best performance was Il Volo-Grande Amore, EVERYBODY but the stupid juries thought the same.
    Sadly this is the weakest year since at least 2002, maybe this equals even the horrid 2001.

Sure I have found "my" favourite in France. I even pre-ordered Amir's album on iTunes.
    But it would actually be the first time that my actual favourite song (not performance) will win.

Last year that would have been Maraaya-Here For You (Slovenia).
    Last year's best performance was Il Volo-Grande Amore, EVERYBODY but the stupid juries thought the same.

I found Italy a rather tacky Il Divo-rip off. Never really understood the song. And I had it 10th in my TOP 10 prediction. So perhaps I'm stupid too now ;-)?

I think it's a very competitive year. And like last year, there are again some very contemporary entries. Think Estonia, Germany, Armenia, Latvia, Serbia, Czech Republic, Netherlands, Sweden, France, Azerbaijan and Ukraine. I'm plaing those the most.

Your remark about this being the worst contest since 2002 I find quite an exaggeration. I actually rewatched the 2002 contest last Saturday. And then you actually 'feel' the huge...really really huge....quality difference between the (more or less) 100% televoting era (1998-2008) and the current 50% jury/50% televoting era (2009-present). I was indeed flabbergasted how bad the quality of the songs were in those days. The field of the 2016 contest is miles....lightyears better.

Moreover, the current contest also feels more professional. More and more countries really work on elements like staging, by creating the best possible 'videoclip' on stage. Moreover, most entrants in recent contests are hugely backed by big record companies, like Sony and Universal. And there are also better established singers (Anouk) who like to give it a try as means of marketing launching platform for their new album. So the contest really has become way way more professional. And certainly less tacky and cheesy.

If you only compare professionalism and style then older years will never hold up to current standards.
    For me tacky and cheese belonged to the ESC before 2004.
    It's about the fun and fond memories.
    Sertab really, almost single-handedly changed the ESC for the better with her revolutionary performance and song.
    Watch it, does it hold up to the over choreographed and helped with electronic gadgets last year's winner?? No, but it's miles better anyway.
    The fun factor has dropped dramatically since 2014, where the only thing shining was Conchita, unthinkable if she had'nt been there, it would have been a bore fest.

The audience is always right. The juries tried to prevent Conchita from winning but were less organised under each other.
    Last year there were "secret" talks between juries to downvote Italy.

Furthermore corruption has been proved over and over again and juries got disqualified therefore.
    I think the head of the ESC really underestimates the intelligence of people. Now he is hoping with the new system things will go away, we'll see.
  • GBFGBF
    I think it was a good move to divide the decision making between juries and televoters. Before 2009, it was mostly only about show and camp. Furthermore, only those countries could win the contest that had a big diaspora and/or many neighbourhood countries. Therefore either Eastern or Northern countries won the competition. This has changed within in the last years. I personally find that there are quiet many strong songs this year, even though I think that last year was stronger. The only thing I really dislike is that the running order is not random aymore but decided by the organisers.
    The ESC 2016 Album has been released on iTunes today :)
    I'll have it on heavy rotation til the shows arrive :)
    Only 2,5 weeks until the first semi final (Tuesday, May 10th)!

Have a look at some of the predictions of professional betters and other bigger radio hosts:

The podcasts from http://escinsight.com are very insightful. In episode #6 Slovenia, Bulgaria, Israel, The Netherlands & Germany are being judged:
    http://escinsight.com/2016/04/14/eurovision-insight-podcast-juke-box-jury-2016-6/

This blog, http://esctips.com, is from a professional better, named Gavin. He's earning a big chunk of his annual salary by betting on Eurovision and other entertainment shows. He has just posted his pre-rehearsal review for semi final #1:
    http://esctips.com/2016/04/20/eurovision-2016-semi-final-1-pre-rehearsal-preview/
    Screen-Shot-2016-04-20-at-14.38.35-e1461173408954-768x533.png

http://eurovoix.com is a website that is heavily followed by professional betters, as they are holding an annual 'shadow jury rating' with many professional musicians and ex-Eurovision participants. In a way they can be compared with the real juries:
    http://eurovoix.com/2016/04/23/eurojury-slovakia-calling-2/
    As a change to last year, the 'Eurojury's points from 1 to 7 are released in advance, whereas the 8, 10 and 12 points will be broadcasted via television on April 30th.

The first preview shows are being held as well, like these ones from official Icelandic broadcaster RUV and the Finnish broadcaster YLE. YLE has released the entire TOP 5 of all 43 entries, whereas RUV just finished reviewing semi final #1:
    http://www.ruv.is/frett/holland-og-malta-fa-bestu-einkunn-i-alla-leid
    http://arenan.yle.fi/1-3114416
    Finnish preview show results:
    8M3BN3e.jpg
    ocIvDUC.png
    This year my favourite is FRANCE and it should win.

Problem is only God knows what a few dozens of people (the juries) will decide over the several millions of paying voting viewers.

After they last year successfully toppled the biggest landslide victory in tele vote ever and banned ITALY to 3rd place, juries now know what power they have and corruption will even get worse between them.
    They only have to look at the predictions and downvote any favourite they don't like so "their" favourite has better chances to win.

I wonder how much longer viewers will pay for voting when they know their vote doesn't mean anything. I will certainly not vote again until the system is changed.
    Sadly under the current head of the ESC it will not happen. They stepdance around the problem since years as can be seen with the half-hearted changes they made for this year, and the changes only happened because last year 3 of the 5 big countries threatened to quit.

Anyway, I will watch the shows as I always do, and who knows maybe the 2016 system will work and leave no bitter taste as 2015 did (and 2014 to some extend, as Conchita only won because juries underestimated their power back then, not that they didn't try to prevent Austria's win).
    I think you greatly exaggerate. Greatly. First of all: There are rules. Plain, clear, written rules. They have been changed massively back in 2009. Just to get rid of the massively demographically influenced 100% televouting. What we got in return was a 50% jury / 50 televotes system. This system was co-championed by the then Dutch AND swiss members of the EBU Reference/Steering Group.

Gone was the 'alzheimer' behaviour of televoters (televoters do not judge with the precision of juries, by really ranking all 26 finalists. Fact!) and the massively disruptive predictive behavior of televoters due to demographics (Turkish immigrants in Netherlands massively voting for Turkey) and nationalism (Mother Russia more heavily backed by its neighbors than now).

THIS is the reason we got juries now. And not 100% juries, but 50%! I tell you this: If Sweden last year had the same running order of Italy, then also Sweden would have won the televotes. But because the first half of the final last year was such a blood bath (all favourites got smashed in the 1st half), Sweden had to 'share' more points with countries like: Israel, Estonia, Norway, Australia and Belgium.

And in all honesty? I HATE the fact that winners are decided on running order, and not the quality of the total package. One last thing, and that's of a personal taste: I found Italy a hugely dated Il Divo rip-off. If Italy won, it would have been the least successful winner chart-wise.

Also, please stop exaggerating so much. You can always reason that THANKS to televoters Italy came 3rd and not 8th. Be a bit more positive......and respectful towards the rules we have. If we question every EVERY rule, then soon Eurovision dies. It's the kind of behaviour we see in Europe now a lot. People think too populist. We vote EVERY four years in elections. That's democracy. Questioning every month a decision making process is not democracy: it means the destruction of democracy and respect.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Winners are decided on running order??

So Conchita won why?? starting 11th.

Il Volo would have won the tele vote if it had started 10th in order as well. Did you see the reaction after their performance in the hall?? NOBODY not even all the other performance doubted for a second that this was the clear winner of 2015.
    Furthermore a draw to decide the running order is the only fair way!

As for voting behaviour of certain areas, that has always happened even back in the old days, and with the eastern countries joining the ESC it got a bit out of hand for a few years and the EBU solved that problem with creating two semi-finals. There would have been no need for juries whatsoever. They only were invented because of Lordi, that is well known, even if it's not the official reason.

Do you ignore the fact that every single year at least one jury vote does get disqualified afterwards because of suspect behaviour??

Anyway, I know you and I don't see eye to eye concerning the juries. I never liked them, from the get go they behaved unnaturally. When Italy returned to the ESC in 2011, the juries made sure that Italy would get a good result, only because there was the fear that Italy would quit again, and Italy got to 2nd place, was that deserved? Did the audience think Italy's song was worthy a 2nd place?? I think not.

I'm not biased against any country or do favour some countries.
    Euphoria was a clear winner. Heroes not.

Not every rule gets questioned. Just the juries in general and thank God it does get questioned. It's necessary.
    And what on Earth has this to do with populism???
    You entirely miss my point :(. I meant to say that running order has more influence on the decisive votes of televoters than juries. A prime example was Netherlands in 2004. In the semi final 'we' came 6th. But then we got an immensely bad draw, 7th, right before the comparable entry from Germany. We came 20th in the end. That's just unfair. And it's mainly caused by the televoters picking out their favourites with a helicopter view as opposed to juries who are obliged to judge every EVERY song from start to end. A televoter goes peing if he sees/hears the Montenegro entry. But a jury will judge this entry in full.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I didn t know you watched Eurovision in your country, @Creasy47.
    Here are the results from the Serbian preview show from the 1st semi final. Again, Russia and Netherlands doing well:

ckOU4B3.png
  • GBFGBF
    I am happy that Serbians can't vote in the first Semi Final :-) I really hope that Czechia will make it this year.

PS: Running order always has a small effect. I also think that Italy and Russia really benefited from it last year. I also think that the jury introduction has improved the quality of the overall songs but that is of course a matter of taste. Ten years ago , I hardly liked any of these songs. It was more about the show and the humour. Nowadays there are always a few really good songs. However, like last year I worry a bit that the show element will become more important again (see Russia this year) so that juries will care more about the show than about the song.
    I am happy that Serbians can't vote in the first Semi Final :-) I really hope that Czechia will make it this year.

PS: Running order always has a small effect. I also think that Italy and Russia really benefited from it last year. I also think that the jury introduction has improved the quality of the overall songs but that is of course a matter of taste. Ten years ago , I hardly liked any of these songs. It was more about the show and the humour. Nowadays there are always a few really good songs. However, like last year I worry a bit that the show element will become more important again (see Russia this year) so that juries will care more about the show than about the song.

I think Sweden overdid it last year and I really think an additional screen like they had should be prohibited. Why can't an artist do a show with the screens that are available?
    And there is no doubt that the juries were influenced by that as well.

Somehow I see Russia winning this year thanks to the juries. Not that I dislike the Russian performance, it's fabulous but the song, while good, is almost the least important thing in the performance.
    Here are the results from the Serbian preview show from the 1st semi final. Again, Russia and Netherlands doing well:

ckOU4B3.png

I think Sweden overdid it last year and I really think an additional screen like they had should be prohibited. Why can't an artist do a show with the screens that are available?
    And there is no doubt that the juries were influenced by that as well.

Somehow I see Russia winning this year thanks to the juries. Not that I dislike the Russian performance, it's fabulous but the song, while good, is almost the least important thing in the performance.

Russia won't win. Simply because it's too much show and circus. Sweden last year didn't need any dated dance choreography. They simply added exquisite cinematography. Which Netherlands also did the year before. For me the Swedish 'act' was way more stylized and suited to a very good contemporary song, sang by a very good singer.

The Russian entry this year is way more dated. A prime example of a song that would work in 2006, not 2016. Also it's enhanced by a more dated dance choreography. It reminds me a bit of Greece 2009 (Sakis Rouvas, 7th place overall, 15th with juries).

No, I think one of these three countries will be the winner: Sweden, France or Latvia. With an outside chance for Australia.
    If Sweden wins again, this time with a rip-off from Catch And Release from Matt Simmons after they won last year with a copy of Lovers On The Sun from David Guetta then something has gone terribly wrong, especially if it's the juries again that would help win such a knock-off.

Heroes is a good song nonetheless, so is If I Were Sorry but it would send out the wrong signal.
    Why can't something original win. Like you said, Latvia would be fabulous but I don't see it winning.

As for Russia, I don't want it to win, and yes the similarities to Sakis Rouvas are staggering, including the muscles, dance and song and choreography.
    Still, it is 100% Eurovision compatible and it will most definitely end up in the Top 5.

After the two semi-finals things will be clearer, it is one of those years where you only can tell who will win after everybody has performed.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    My official three favourites of 2016:
    (which is not the same as who I think will win)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kQysGibXphE"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iP3USrYpr5w"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/avyMGbuna3w"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If all three end up in the Top 10 I will be happy with 2016.
    My updated prediction after almost all free rehearsals have been taking place:

Prediction Semi Final #1 Qualifiers:
    01. Russia *
    02. Czech Republic *
    03. Armenia *
    04. The Netherlands
    05. Cyprus
    06. Malta
    07. Iceland
    08. Estonia
    09. Bosnia-Herzegovina
    10. Azerbaijan
    Other possibilities: Hungary, Greece, Croatia, Austria

Prediction Semi Final #2 Qualifiers:
    01. Ukraine *
    02. Israel *
    03. Belgium *
    04. Australia *
    05. Serbia *
    06. Latvia *
    07. Slovenia
    08. Bulgaria
    09. Norway
    10. F.Y.R.o.Macedonia
    Other possibilities: Poland, Lithuania, Georgia

Prediction Auto-Qualifiers TOP 6:
    01. Sweden *
    02. France *
    03. Italy *
    04. United Kingdom *
    05. Germany
    06. Spain

‘*’ = TOP 13 contenders Grand Final

Prediction Grand Final TOP 13 (provisional, as the 6 already placed finalists will rehearse tomorrow a 2nd time):
    01. Sweden
    02. Ukraine
    03. Australia
    04. Russia
    05. France
    06. Israel
    07. Latvia
    08. Belgium
    09. Czech Republic
    10. Serbia
    11. Italy
    12. Armenia
    13. United Kingdom
    In the mix: The Netherlands, Cyprus, Malta

By the way, the Eurovision Song Contest will now be broadcasted in the USA too:
    http://www.newnownext.com/eurovision-song-contest-airing-in-the-u-s-for-the-first-time-on-logo/05/2016/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Haven t heard all songs, but most of it is crap as usual. I rather like Austria this year.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Haven t heard all songs, but most of it is crap as usual. I rather like Austria this year.

Sadly I have to agree. This year is awful, even more than 2014 when really only Rise Like A Phoenix was outstanding.

Australia is good and I hope it will win. If Sweden's Justin Bieber wannabe is winning all hope is lost. And the song is even stolen from Matt Simon's Catch & Release.