The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

Belgium song is too good/conventional to win,
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 7,500
    Funny how standards of expectations plunge when Eurovision comes around. Belgium's and Holland's entries aren't any good, they just stand out in a field of utter rubbish!

For those who have the mental strength and tenacity to watch the entire show on Saturday, I wish you the best of luck! I certainly don't have such resources in me...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It's more or less Europe's got talent" . :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It's more or less Europe's got talent" . :D

I can't argue with that. More and more of the participants are former "Idol" "Voice of" "X-factor" etc winners.
    Something that is questionable.
    Also sadly, half of the songs are "bought" and from Swedish songwriters and producers.

That's why so many of them sound alike which is bad.

Imho, the ESC had a bloody great decade from 2003 to 2013, since then it goes downhill, everything is getting mainstreamed to death.

This year is particularly disappointing not even Albania or Croatia did sing in their languages anymore. Everything is English. Almost.
    Insanely enough Austria has a French song this year and the French guy sings Frenglish.

Yes, indeed, the semi-finals felt just like any other casting or talent show. That's sad.
    It's been on the telly over here that next year America will be joining ?
    As Australia is back for a second year. So it is turning into a World
    Song Contest.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

This year is particularly disappointing not even Albania or Croatia did sing in their languages anymore. Everything is English.

This is what bothers me about the whole thing. What's the point of celebrating Europe's diversity when everything is in the same language (and not a very original one at that)?

And of course that the songs are terrible. Really terrible. Wasn't this show more or less better in the 70's and 80's (ABBA, Matia Bazar, Toto Cutugno and France Gall come to mind)?
    GoldenGun wrote: »

This year is particularly disappointing not even Albania or Croatia did sing in their languages anymore. Everything is English.

This is what bothers me about the whole thing. What's the point of celebrating Europe's diversity when everything is in the same language (and not a very original one at that)?

And of course that the songs are terrible. Really terrible. Wasn't this show more or less better in the 70's and 80's (ABBA, Matia Bazar, Toto Cutugno and France Gall come to mind)?

Up to the early nineties imho everything was going perfectly.
    During the nineties fatigue set in.
    Finally after 2002 (when it was obvious they have to do something) the ESC was "revolutionised".
    But all the good influences that made the 00's so great are now gone.
    No ethnically sounding songs anymore, almost no other language than English and what's worst they re-introduced the juries which to this day is highly controversial since it hasn't solved anything and rather brought more problems with corruption and such.

Anyway, the ESC still is the greatest musical event of the year. The new voting system that will be applied in the final could turn out to be a stroke of genius, if it works.
    We will see.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I can see Austria or Belgium winning this. Sweet girls with uplifting songs, especially Austria. If it was a beauty contest, I think Italy would win this year.
    There will be no landslide victory. It could get decided by only a dozen of points this time.

Sadly Belgium has bad luck and will start No 1 in the final. So winning is out of the question. The Netherlands has No 3 spot which also is more or less a guarantee for not winning the contest.

Russia, Ukraine, Georgia and Australia (and Austria) have very good spots in the final.

Russia with spot No 18 would win the contest from a statistical point of view, so that factor could very well be the deciding one.

It will be interesting to see what's happening between the Jury votes and the televote.
    I bet Ukraine will be elevated somewhat by the Juries. Hopefully at least Georgia will too.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    It's been on the telly over here that next year America will be joining ?
    As Australia is back for a second year. So it is turning into a World
    Song Contest.

SBS, the channel that airs Eurovision in Australia just signed a deal to establish the format in the Asia Pacific region.

Although, Eurovision is massively popular with Australians, especially those who migrated after the war, I did always think our sudden involvement was odd. But then I read that, and now assume that these past two years have been nothing but a very glamorous internship. Compete a couple times, get an idea of what it takes, and then go off and start the Asia Pacific spin-off.

This makes me think that Justin Timberlake's involvement will mean America is the next guest country, then they will launch a Pan American version.

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    We are having about 10 friends round to watch it. Does anyone have a link to a good score sheet to print out, so we can all judge as we go along? Something with the Final countries listed would be good.
    @Tokoloshe

I have a PDF, if you would like to have it PM me and I send it to you per email.

Here is a .png picture of it, maybe that works to print out as well.

It is in German though, but with all the names and the pics it should be clear.

full.jpg
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I can print it from that image. Thank you!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,443
    Funny thing was that last Thursday i am thinking, how amazing it be if Belgium wil start as first one.

The Netherlands: 4, 7 or 1.
    Belgium: 2, 1 or 8.

Those 7 mabey in top 10.

1. Hungary. Sometimes people whant something what sound simple. Start a litle bad, but it grow fast and has great voice. Together with Servië a possible number 1 or 5 song.
    2. Belgium. Very's 70 and that made it outsider and she has some very good dancing.
    3. Russia. Great special effects like Sweden last year, but song is not that great as them. From the moment i saw Sweden last year i predict it as number 1.
    4. The Netherlands. Camera angle is not that good as two years a go. And mabey with a bit luck we end on number 1 or same place as last thuesday random envelop (3th place).
    5. Servië. Screaming a bit, but nice act with a lot of red/black and very inportent a very good end.
    6. Poland. Underrated a lot.
    7. Czech. Great voice, simple act and real smile on her face.
    8. Kroatien. I like her dress a lot and she has something in her voice.

I think there should consider to start earlier next year. If Netherlands will win i think there should start 1hr earlier from then. Means 08.00 PM. Of couse i know this is 09.00 AM in Australia. In The Netherlands it end around 00.40 AM (Then 11.40 PM) and some country's it is already very late/earlier in morning.
    THIS IS THE BEST SONG IN THIS YEAR'S EUROVISION SONG CONTEST

It has already won !

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v6qSt8Qp9ck"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    This show is on where I am currently, no idea what's going on since when was Australia in Europe.
    I think because Australia's grandparents were from there, thay can play. :D
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,548
    If Australia can participate, why not South Africa or China or Peru?
    Now, if @Benny performed in the ESC, I'd vote for him!
    God knows what is happening now, some additional long drawn out vote. Not watched it since Katrina waved. :)
    Apparently America is up for joining next.
    This really has turned out to be the worst year ever.
    The new voting system has completely failed and is a catastrophe.

Again the tele vote was overturned by the juries. And if you have seen how the various juries have voted it should be clear now, they have to go and fast.
    They completely robbed Poland and Austria. A scandal.

People on the Swiss ESC forum are fuming right now, it's hilarious.
    Wow, this result will bring the ESC into big trouble and deservedly so.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2016 Posts: 4,443
    01. Unkraine
    02. Australia
    03. Russia
    04. Bulgaria
    05. Sweden
    06. France
    07. Armenia
    08. Poland
    09. Lithunia
    10. Belgium
    11. The Netherlands
    12. Malta
    13. Austria

The first 6 has some audio balance problems include Belgium, Netherlands and Czech. This happend a lot, exept a couple of years back. Also count for camera angle. Since number 7 Israel it was better. Hungary has voice problems. Poland under-rated by jurie, but loved by public. 2 places lower then expect. Russia 3th place. Because of new points system The Netherlands give 16 points to Belgium.

Austria in my opnion first should not be selected last Thuesday, but this Brigitte Bardot look a like was better now and she wearing les make up. I agree with Dutch commentary how amazing it have been if The Netherlands start there insteed or after.

Timberlake act was great and how much it look liike on dancing from Belgium like Spain did too.
    How did Australia lose :-O the show lost me.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thank heaven that's over for another year
    Next time maybe they might make it work !.
    edited May 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Poland:
    Jury: 7 points
    Tele vote: 222 points

Russia:
    Jury: 130 points
    Tele vote: 269 points

The juries will eventually bring the EBU (ESC) into deep trouble. The controversy is already exploding on social media, even to a much larger degree than last year.

I'm certain many countries will now seriously consider stepping out of the contest.

The worst of it all is that the song is highly political even if the ESC said otherwise, they allowed it just to prevent bad media. Now the Ukraine has won with that song and the media will have a field day.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 6,432
    The Tele votes were hitting such high numbers the Jury vote almost became inconsequential, the Tele vote had some very random figures also. If they had said 500 to UK I would not have been surprised or had a clue what it meant. As a passing viewer it would appear Jury vote is defunct.
    The Swiss and German and Austria based media is highly criticising the new system. It seems absolutely nobody is satisfied with the result.
    I'm pretty sure the EBU is having sleepless nights now and will soon begin damage control.
    This show is on where I am currently, no idea what's going on since when was Australia in Europe.

The contest is for countries that are part of the European Broadcasting Union, not only for european countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union

Well, France didn't win. Again ! And next year, it will be the fortieth anniverseray of our last win in that contest. Maybe we should go. It's clear that we have no chance to win it again. Time to cut our losses, I say.

@Gerard

Really nobody is happy with what happened yesterday night. I agree, France should go, the UK and Italy as well. Last year those countries already heavily debated leaving.
    After this year it will be hard for the EBU to find reasons for countries to remain in the ESC. If a highly political song wins a contest, even if the EBU went to any length to explain that the song isn't political (what a farce!) things will get problematic.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Everything is political. In this day and age, there's nothing that is apolitical.