Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Dark Towers? There was talks of DC in it a couple of years ago.

Imo, all the Bond talk catapulted Elba into hot property and they cant wait to cast him in something before other names will take over, as is always the case.

But yeah, if a book, that has never been filmed, gets him into problems, Bond would do so even more.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A black Bond would kill the franchise in the US altogether.
    In Europe it might be a HUGE success (Skyfall/Spectre level) the first time around, because EVERYBODY will want to see it.

Of course as always, it will depend on the movie itself.
    Elba in a GE, CR, FRWL kind of Bond would be a huge event.

Personally, I will accept EON's decision anyway, no matter who it is. But I admit I'd rather not have a non-white or non-Brit for that matter actor in the role, because I would like to see Fleming's vision of the character on the big screen.

• edited March 2016 Posts: 725
    Elba as Roland? Wouldn't really put him in that role, if that's true is Susannah going to be white now?! Part of the character dynamics for me was that Roland was caucasian and Susannah black.

That is the exact reason so many lovers of the books are so upset with the news of Elba as Roland. It totally destroys the critical character of, and relationship dynamic with Roland of Susannah. The thought police are iof course in full cry screaming "racism" over those upset with this casting. Most of them have never read the books. Some site King's comments. Yeah, right, see the other author's ok with Criuise as Reacher, a totally physically bogus choice for Reacher.. Same authors sell out for finally getting a film made.

Also the same thought police types are yelling homophobe over anyone like myself who thought Sam smith was an ungrateful brat in his acceptance speech. All the other winners thanked a list of people who helped them achieve a win as they all ignored the dumb scroll process. Also a simple 5 minute Google effort by him or his handlers would have gotten his facts straight, but why destroy your self promotion with simple facts and respect for those who came out years ago, like Elton and many other gay Oscar winners when coming out took real guts. He knew he would likely be winning the award. Being excited is a lousy excuse for a total lack of gratitude and humility.

There are people on this site who cannot tolerate a different point of view on a person's CHARACTER without screaming bias. A few stupid biased posts are no excuse for this blanket intolerance for anyone's differing opinions. It's anti democratic, anti freedom of thought and speech and is ruining a lot more serious entities than some web sites.

There have been some inappropriate posts on here about both men but no one should let that keep them from voicing their thoughts about the character of these men. I dislike Smith for already listed reasons. I don't give a s%#* over his sexuality, and I'm totally open to a young deserving black actor as Bond, but I dislike Elba because he is an obnoxious egomaniac and I will bet a month's salary that EON lives in fear of having the US left and press shove him down their throats as Bond. The Tower gig may have saved them, but I believe the one overriding reason they may be desperate to get Craig back for one more Bond is to allow them to buy the extra years they need to avoid the Elba campaign as he would be around 50 when Bond 26 comes out. But the longer we go with no firm proof that Craig will do one more, the more I think he's done. If so I kinda think we will hear nothing about him leaving until EON lines up their ducks.

• Stephen King is okay with Elba playing the character.
    Jason, IMO it would be the other way around. The US with their large black population would probably be fine with Elba, but I doubt Europe would.

EON and co will no doubt NOT let themselves be forced into casting him, if they dont want to and I believe somehow, they dont.
    I like Dominic West and James D'Arcy although their both now in their '40s.

The_Hour_008.jpg
    latest_cb_20150610104158.png
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,661
    You could argue some actors look closer to the role in their 40s - they look mature and this suits the image of Bond - but then you could take the opposite view and say "but they're too old to start playing the role." Kinda ironic, perhaps. Idris Elba has got a bit of the "too old to start playing the role" reaction.

If the franchise lasts another 50 years I reckon a 25 year old-ish Bond will happen. Sooner or later Eon or the studio sharing the rights will go with a much younger actor. By the time that happens I doubt anyone will be that bothered by a much younger Bond actor. I can see the promotion...

Bond is back! And he's younger than ever!

:D
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    You could argue some actors look closer to the role in their 40s - they look mature and this suits the image of Bond - but then you could take the opposite view and say "but they're too old to start playing the role." Kinda ironic, perhaps. Idris Elba has got a bit of the "too old to start playing the role" reaction.

If the franchise lasts another 50 years I reckon a 25 year old-ish Bond will happen. Sooner or later Eon or the studio sharing the rights will go with a much younger actor. By the time that happens I doubt anyone will be that bothered by a much younger Bond actor. I can see the promotion...

Bond is back! And he's younger than ever!

:D

I don't think Bond should be younger than early 30s, or appear to be younger than that.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think actors get chosen for the roles because they're the best for it, or
    They're also producers of the movie. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto

1201653494/
    A black Bond would kill the franchise in the US altogether.
    In Europe it might be a HUGE success (Skyfall/Spectre level) the first time around, because EVERYBODY will want to see it.

Of course as always, it will depend on the movie itself.
    Elba in a GE, CR, FRWL kind of Bond would be a huge event.

Personally, I will accept EON's decision anyway, no matter who it is. But I admit I'd rather not have a non-white or non-Brit for that matter actor in the role, because I would like to see Fleming's vision of the character on the big screen.

It's not the U.S market that would reject Idris, it would be the Asian markets, especially China.

Check out the poster for TFA. They shrunk Boyega's image quite noticeably:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-china-poster-controversy-john-boyega-

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Tom Hardy - not just because he is the flavor of the month, but i truly think he is a terrific actor, and one who could carry on with a similar tone should Craig walk.

Tom Hiddleston - again, flavor of the month, but similar to Hardy i think his acting is fine - i would want him to work out a little bit though before jumping into the tux.. he doesn't need to hulked out - but a little bit of mass on him wouldn't hurt.

Sebastian Stan - a dark horse suggestion, considering that he is not British - but Romanian (you all might be familiar with him as Bucky Barnes from Captain America).. he is only 33 right now.. meaning if Craig did 1 last film, and then walked - he would be in prime age to take over... i think he has a strong presence about him - he can handle action well...... but with being wrapped up in Marvel for the foreseeable future - juggling two heavyweight franchises might not be up his alley.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    smitty wrote: »
    Elba as Roland? Wouldn't really put him in that role, if that's true is Susannah going to be white now?! Part of the character dynamics for me was that Roland was caucasian and Susannah black.

That is the exact reason so many lovers of the books are so upset with the news of Elba as Roland. It totally destroys the critical character of, and relationship dynamic with Roland of Susannah. The thought police are iof course in full cry screaming "racism" over those upset with this casting. Most of them have never read the books. Some site King's comments. Yeah, right, see the other author's ok with Criuise as Reacher, a totally physically bogus choice for Reacher.. Same authors sell out for finally getting a film made.

Also I can't see Susannah as anything other than the way she's written (her ethnicity and social standing), and with both her and Roland black it would change their relationship. I'm excited that TDT will be made but not to sure about the casting.
  • RC7RC7

Also I can't see Susannah as anything other than the way she's written (her ethnicity and social standing), and with both her and Roland black it would change their relationship. I'm excited that TDT will be made but not to sure about the casting.

I've never read The Dark Tower books (although I really should), but they do sound damn good. What's the reason for people being pissed off about Elba?
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    RC7 wrote: »
    …… wrote: »

I've never read The Dark Tower books (although I really should), but they do sound damn good. What's the reason for people being pissed off about Elba?

He's just not the character as written by Mr King. I'm not saying he won't make a good job of it, just not someone I'd envision playing the role - some of the early artwork for the books (not the graphic novels) were very much modelled on Clint Eastwood, and it's that sort of actor/character that's in my head when I read the books.
    If you do (and I recommend you do) read the books, stay with it, the first is a bit odd but once the second comes along you'll be right into it. A vast undertaking but well worth the ride…
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    …… wrote: »

He's just not the character as written by Mr King. I'm not saying he won't make a good job of it, just not someone I'd envision playing the role - some of the early artwork for the books (not the graphic novels) were very much modelled on Clint Eastwood, and it's that sort of actor/character that's in my head when I read the books.
    If you do (and I recommend you do) read the books, stay with it, the first is a bit odd but once the second comes along you'll be right into it. A vast undertaking but well worth the ride…

I just read up a little bit more on the character and books. Seems it's an analogue of the King Arthur myth. Look forward to it.
    Idris Elba is a fine actor, so I can't see him doing anything other than a good job.
    He's also British, so that's good too. I think it's important that American heroes
    be played by Brits ! :D
    Tom Hiddlestone impressed me even more in episode 2 of The Night Manager. As much as I love Le Carré I haven't actually read the novel but
    it's starting to feel quite like Licence to Kill with Hiddlestone infiltrating Roper's circle

On a side note, anyone being watching Spin on Channel 4 - the 2nd series has Carole Bouquet in it?
  • RC7 wrote: »

Just haters. Elba would be a great Bond.

Just haters. Elba would be a great Bond. [/quote]

Or maybe not.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    From an acting standpoint and overall credibility as a charminh and deadly secret agent Elba would kill it as Bond but his age and skin colour make him an unsuitable candidate amongst many fans. However, many of the general public don't really care about either.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    From an acting standpoint and overall credibility as a charminh and deadly secret agent Elba would kill it as Bond but his age and skin colour make him an unsuitable candidate amongst many fans. However, many of the general public don't really care about either.

The sad thing is that the target mass audience (12 to 25) (outside the UK) probably never heard of Ian Fleming or have the faintest idea what the character of James Bond should be like.
    For them it could be Idris Elba, Channing Tatum or Robbie Williams I'm afraid.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited March 2016 Posts: 11,139
    That is true. Many people not just in that demographic think anyone good-looking, who can wear a suit well is automatically eligible for the very unique role that Bond is. Bond isn't a bog standard generic character, defined by superficial traits. There are specifics and nuances to what should go into realising the character.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116
    And Jackie Chan would be great at Shaft. Let's go for it. If SP didn't kill Bond let's see what Elba can do.

Eventually Bond will be dead and we can all be friends >:D<

PLEASE NOTE I DONT CARE WHAT RACE OR CREED ELBA IS. I JUST DONT SEE BOND'S TRADITIONAL AUDIENCE WHICH IS STILL OLDER IN THE US ACCEPTING HIM. THATS ALL SO DONT ATTACK ME FOR BEING RACIST.
    Christopher lee was Fu manchu, Peter Sellers was an Indian Doctor
    Peter Lorre was Charle Chan, ........ it would seem many characters
    have been played by members of other races, even Dr No. ;)
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 489
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    And Jackie Chan would be great at Shaft. Let's go for it. If SP didn't kill Bond let's see what Elba can do.

Eventually Bond will be dead and we can all be friends >:D<

PLEASE NOTE I DONT CARE WHAT RACE OR CREED ELBA IS. I JUST DONT SEE BOND'S TRADITIONAL AUDIENCE WHICH IS STILL OLDER IN THE US ACCEPTING HIM. THATS ALL SO DONT ATTACK ME FOR BEING RACIST.

Then why the mocking note?

And the studio is trying to lure the younger, perhaps more open-minded fans.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Agree with both of you Jason and Doubleoego

For the regular Movie goer Bond is just a good looking ladies man who always looks stylish no matter what and never seats while saving the world.

in some internet pages which are not Bond forums where still say Craig is not Bond because should always look good and not aweat at all. Manybstill say please bring James Bond back.

I even know some people who say so.
    Thats why i came up with my three rankings of the Bond actors there are three to look at Bond.

The classic cinematic Bond which is the common beflif from people who don't know about Fleming at all and i used to have that idea once.

The fleming way which is thinking how Bond should be accoridng to Ian Fleming and how he described him

Third well once we are real fans we get our own personal description of the character with the Bond traits we care the most for usually mixing up a bitt of The Flemling ideal and a bitt of the cinemmatic classic Bond.

I'm not attacking anyone, my post was merely to point out, it's been done
    many times before. ;)
  • Did not think you were attacking anyone.
    Thunderpussy meant attacking with his niceness ;;)
    Nice to know, I'm a lover not a fighter. :D