Nikki van der Zyl - Voice Dubber Extraordinaire

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perhaps the Wizard can work his magic again and get this thread to show up at the top of the forum?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Although my wizardly powers extend to more things in heaven and earth, Draggers, than are dreamt of in your philosophy; such a monumental bending of the forces of nature is beyond even me.

To get this thread to bump you would need to be a God and alas, despite appearances to the contrary, I am merely a man.
    Bump. No thought not.
    I think this one's been "bumped off" for good!
    Was just making sure.

Got into a dispute with one of the mods about why the inane Bond film elimination thread (you add a point I subtract a point. How exciting) has been tagged as an announcement so it stays at the top of the list. The only reason for this I can discern is that somebody decided it wasn't popular enough and getting enough posts.

I just queried why the same couldn't be done for this black sheep of a thread.

I think you can guess the outcome for yourself.
    I don't participate in those forum games at all and consider them a waste of time when contrasted with more substantive debate but each to their own...
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I don't participate in those forum games at all and consider them a waste of time when contrasted with more substantive debate but each to their own...

Agree entirely hence it wound me up that for no apparent reason it was given prominence over other threads that have to live and die on their own merits.

So I thought I'd bring the open sore of Nikki up again just to amuse myself.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    I think at this point the down right bizarre circumstances surrounding this thread's settings have gone on so long that the original reasons, whatever they may be, are inconsequential and its become nothing more than an issue of saving face. By that I mean that for them to capitulate now would be an acknowledgement of the myriad references and complaints, and an admission of guilt as such. Deleting this thread altogether would be just as bad.

Instead they simply pretend they don't see any and all related posts and comments (be they here or shoehorned into other normal threads) and hope that it would just be forgotten. By and large, with the exception of the few of us who have bookmarked it, they have succeeded as such, with a certain amount of impunity to boot.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    I think at this point the down right bizarre circumstances surrounding this thread's settings have gone on so long that the original reasons, whatever they may be, are inconsequential and its become nothing more than an issue of saving face. By that I mean that for them to capitulate now would be an acknowledgement of the myriad references and complaints, and an admission of guilt as such. Deleting this thread altogether would be just as bad.

Instead they simply pretend they don't see any and all related posts and comments (be they here or shoehorned into other normal threads) and hope that it would just be forgotten. By and large, with the exception of the few of us who have bookmarked it, they have succeeded as such, with a certain amount of impunity to boot.

Bang on the money.

They just ignore any mention of Nikki and assume at some point it will all go away.

It's down to us very small band of brothers to keep banging the drum for truth and justice and to mention Nikki as often as possible in every thread.

Feel free to chip in to 'The Great Bond film Elimination Game' thread and disrupt their asinine game by asking why they have ignored my request for this thread to be given the same preferential treatment.
    Has anyone tried directly asking a Mod in a thread why this thread doesn't bump? I've seen it mentioned but ignored. What about starting a new thread on Nikki?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    JBFan626 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried directly asking a Mod in a thread why this thread doesn't bump? I've seen it mentioned but ignored. What about starting a new thread on Nikki?

Haha.

They will just lock the new thread saying it's a duplicate of this one!

I'm pretty sure earlier in this thread (or the other one that got closed) myself and others asked what was going on and the best they could offer was some shite about an error with the computer code. Which just so happened to affect the other Nikki thread and no others! I think even in North Korea they are more subtle than that!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It should 'bump'.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    It should 'bump'.
    Indeed! :-O
    And here comes the question, could we know why now? (A PM works for me...)
    Dude, I honestly don't know. As I have told people before, I'm not a computer wiz. Maybe a glitch in the system? I know almost nothing about computer code; I'm a typical end user. I simply hit the reload button, dropped a post, checked the 'Recent Discussions' list, deleted my post and replaced it with the one you quoted, hit the reload button again and it worked. Then I went looking for the other Nikki thread and applied the same manoeuvre there.

People should stop with this conspiracy attitude. The primary reason why I hardly ever replied to those accusing "y'all are on EON's payroll" posts is because I was utterly confused. Surely our members had found some reason for saying that, but I ever understood a bloody thing about it. I hardly know anything about Nikki vd Zyl to be frank, and care even less to be even more frank.

So is this it now? Are we done? There are enough loonies out there who think we never landed on the Moon. Well, I'm not taking money from EON, though I wish I were. So please put the pitchforks away and leave our women alone; hopefully, with a single button on my keyboard, I have silenced the angry mob. If another 'glitch' were to show itself, just PM me and I'll try the cure again: F5. If it works, great, if it doesn't, sorry, I'm all out of ideas.

And to those of you who seem to think that the mod team somehow tried to negate the existence of these threads: people, please, we do have a life.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Ah, plausible deniability; it's a beautiful thing ;)
  • She's lost most of my sympathy now. She's rude and dismissive of all the bond girls. Not just Shirley Eaton. She thanks Andressa (Ryder) for saying Nikki did a good job, but still opines that her voice was like a 'Dutch comic'.

Clearly she is estranged from her son and that a letter from him to Moore was partly the reason he withdrew his foreword.

I still obviously think Nikki's contribution should be acknowledged, but a person who reacts to one snub by such rudeness to complete innocents only serves to weaken her case.

@DarthDimi one thread was deleted for no good reason, and the other stopped bumping so it's hard to believe in a coincidental 'glitch'. Moderators can be overridden I'm sure.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well there we go. If you knew where the thread was @TheWizardOfIce why harp on about it like a kid who's been told to leave the toy shop empty handed.
    I'll even announce it for you so it stays at the top of the recent discussions. (For a while, can't keep it up there forever. As with the elimination games that wont be up there for long, but are popular with a great many members.)
    So go ahead, discuss as you've always been able too. But I for one will not tolerate any of this bullsh*t accusation you seem hell bent on sprouting about mods being on EON's payroll, or any other mindless theory that we're supposed to be hiding from you. Give it a bloody rest.
    True, @Benny. Being on EON's payroll sounds good but alas I work hard to earn a living and the remainder of my time I divide amongst my three loves: ladies, movies and this forum. It's insulting to think that I'd waste my energy on hiding Nikki threads while secretly twirling my evil genius moustache, that is when I'm not too occupied with banning trolls and deleting spam. And that goes for you too I'm sure.
  • The moderators doth protest too much methinks. No, seriously I guess it was the owner.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Yes, despite the opinions of a few loons, this isn't 1984. We're not being controlled or censored, tricked or manipulated. Trust me, if the mods were getting EON cash for suffocating Nikki's legacy with a pillow and stomping down on Bond related copyrights, they wouldn't be hanging out around here. They'd be out hitting all the clubs with five girls each under their arms, which they'd be able to do. Do they have to show you all the shirtless group photo they took in the KTBEU days to prove it? Didn't think so. ;)
  • The real touchy topic is that Nikki Van der Zyl proves that dubbing in movies can be appreciated while it's supposed to be only aimed at the stupid people :)
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,539
    Yes, despite the opinions of a few loons, this isn't 1984. We're not being controlled or censored, tricked or manipulated. Trust me, if the mods were getting EON cash for suffocating Nikki's legacy with a pillow and stomping down on Bond related copyrights, they wouldn't be hanging out around here. They'd be out hitting all the clubs with five girls each under their arms, which they'd be able to do. Do they have to show you all the shirtless group photo they took in the KTBEU days to prove it? Didn't think so. ;)

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, what makes you think we're not in that position already? ;-)
    The real touchy topic is that Nikki Van der Zyl proves that dubbing in movies can be appreciated while it's supposed to be only aimed at the stupid people :)

@Suivez_ce_parachute, yes, indeed, it was a case of dubbing but this is how the film was released by its makers. It's not something that outsiders messed with after the facts. I'm not complaining over James Earl Jones doing a voice dub for Darth Vader, but I would be if James Earl Jones' voice were dubbed by a nameless voice in a different language because folks are afraid of subtitles. ;-)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, what makes you think we're not in that position already? ;-)

Because they all end up going home with @Creasy47. Trust me, I've seen it firsthand.
    Ah yes. The famous @Creasy47-touch. Or what's left of it.
    Ah yes. The famous @Creasy47-touch. Or what's left of it.

Has he...lost his hands, or something?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I believe I understand this language. I mean I was at Oxford for Heaven's Sake, but I swear I don't get a single post in this thread.

Moon landing?
    EON payroll?
    Creasy47 touch?
    Conspiracy?
    Plausible deniability?
    Bump?

Well, I guess I finally did arrive in the mirror universe as I suspected already in another thread. :-O
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    Well there we go. If you knew where the thread was @TheWizardOfIce why harp on about it like a kid who's been told to leave the toy shop empty handed.
    I'll even announce it for you so it stays at the top of the recent discussions. (For a while, can't keep it up there forever. As with the elimination games that wont be up there for long, but are popular with a great many members.)
    So go ahead, discuss as you've always been able too. But I for one will not tolerate any of this bullsh*t accusation you seem hell bent on sprouting about mods being on EON's payroll, or any other mindless theory that we're supposed to be hiding from you. Give it a bloody rest.

Bitching incessantly about being repressed is half the fun though @Benny. He doesn't actually want to talk about Nikki.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    So maybe it's about time that all the toys were picked up and put back in the pram and then we can all get on with enjoying time here on what is after all the worlds best Bond site .
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dude, I honestly don't know. As I have told people before, I'm not a computer wiz. Maybe a glitch in the system? I know almost nothing about computer code; I'm a typical end user. I simply hit the reload button, dropped a post, checked the 'Recent Discussions' list, deleted my post and replaced it with the one you quoted, hit the reload button again and it worked. Then I went looking for the other Nikki thread and applied the same manoeuvre there.
    Thanks for the answer!

No offence intended from my part. You know the saying "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence..." Talking about threads, of course...
    :D ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well if it was all just because her son wrote a letter to Moore after which he withdrew his support, they could've just said so. Here's me walking with my worn-out alu-hat for 5 years allready! And I never got the colonial one from @JamesPage. #dissapointed #hatehashtags #makesnosensethis.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3978/the-secret-bond-girl-unknown-artist-dubbed-the-voices-of-007-s-best-known-beauties-but-know-she-s#latest

This discussion has been closed.