Nikki van der Zyl - Voice Dubber Extraordinaire

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    She is no icon. She did her job well, is bitter. and has not handled things nicely at all.
  • Ed83 wrote: »
    I thought about purchasing her book this morning, but I found out a few details that have me on the fence. On her website, she mentions something about removing 10-15 pages out of the book. I'm wondering if this is on the kindle version as well. Has anyone actually read the book here? If it is 99% Bond related I would make the purchase, but I'm hesitant to jump on it until someone can confirm if it is worth a buy.

In the preview on here http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DQXT9RS?keywords=for your ears only&qid=1457000761&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Looks like Bond is a small part of the book
  • She is no icon. She did her job well, is bitter. and has not handled things nicely at all.

would you be bitter if you were told you couldn't attend a convention because the 'actress' didn't want you there?

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,948

As regards the mods I've only ever criticised them as being part of the ruling regime which is something they signed up to do.

Tell me, what 'regime'is that? the volunteer corps of a fan site?

Even on the internet it works better to just be kind to people, instead of saying 'Who gives a shit about some guy ranting on the Internet?'

Who am I being unkind to there? The guy I was referring to is me.

And you're the only one on the net? You must have busy days!

Anyway I'm rather tired of this debate (I'm sure you are too) and given @NicNac's comment above I dont really want to let this dull argument risk derailing the thread to the point of closure (you sure you arent working for the mods @CommanderRoss trying to divert this thread into being locked??).

Yep, you got me!
    [/quote]
    'Increadable'?, 'Connaisseur'?, Wishfull?', 'Beeing'? (could claim it as a typo if you didnt do it twice in as many paragraphs).

To avoid misinterpretation you might want to proof read your post next time:

You might also have come to the conclusion English isn't my first language. Or, indeed, that during working hours I have little time to proofread everything I write. So i'll disregard any comment on your part regarding my writing until you can actually write in Dutch. Then we're on an even level.
    She is no icon. She did her job well, is bitter. and has not handled things nicely at all.

would you be bitter if you were told you couldn't attend a convention because the 'actress' didn't want you there?

I don't exactly know how that went down, and such an instand is always painful, but again, wasn't that after she had been unkind towards Shirley? I do get the feeling she finds herself above the rest and misjudged. I am certainly not going to buy that book. Too much negativety.
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 562
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 19,339
    I've just seen this on WIKI...they have a proper page dedicated to her now,which is good .

This her list of dubbing work,it's very impressive :

The James Bond films:

Dr. No (1962; re voiced Ursula Andress, Eunice Gayson and all other female voices except Moneypenny, Miss Taro, Sister Rose and Sister Lily.
    Despite controversies, van der Zyl also performed the song "Underneath the Mango Tree" which is heard in the film.Only the version heard on the soundtrack album release was performed by Diana Coupland)

From Russia with Love (1963; re voiced Eunice Gayson and female hotel clerk in Istanbul)

Goldfinger (1964; re voiced Shirley Eaton as well as Nadja Regin and was English coach to Gert Fröbe on set with him)

Thunderball (1965; re voiced Claudine Auger and woman in red dress at the nightclub)

You Only Live Twice (1967; re voiced Mie Hama)

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969; re voiced "Olympe" (Virginia North) and various other characters.)

Diamonds Are Forever (1971; re voiced Denise Perrier)

Live and Let Die (1973; partly re voiced Jane Seymour)

The Man with the Golden Gun (1974; re voiced Francoise Therry and various other characters)

Moonraker (1979; re voiced Corinne Clery, Leila Shenna and various other characters)

Other films:

Man in the Moon (1960, re voiced Shirley Anne Field)

The Savage Innocents (1960, re voiced Yoko Tani)

Lafayette (1961, re voiced Claudia Cardinale)

Call Me Bwana (1963, re voiced Anita Ekberg)

You Must Be Joking! (1965, re voiced Gabriella Licudi)

The Ipcress File (1965, re voiced Sue Lloyd)

She (1965, re voiced Ursula Andress)

The Blue Max (1966; re voiced Ursula Andress)

Funeral in Berlin (1966, re voiced Eva Renzi)

Modesty Blaise (1966, re voiced Monica Vitti)

One Million Years B.C. (1966, re voiced Raquel Welch)

Prehistoric Women (1967, re voiced various characters)

Frankenstein Created Woman
    (1967, re voiced Susan Denberg)

Deadlier than the Male (1967, re voiced Sylva Koscina)

The Jokers (1967, re voiced Gabriella Licudi)

Hannibal Brooks (1969; re voiced Karin Baal)

Krakatoa, East of Java (1969, re voiced Jacqui Chan)

Fraulein Doktor (1969, re voiced Suzy Kendall)

Scars of Dracula (1970; re voiced Jenny Hanley)
    (I watched this last Saturday and her likeness to Jenny Hanley is incredible,i didn't realise until now !! )

You Can't Win 'Em All (1970, re voiced Michele Mercier)

Gawain and the Green Knight (1973, re voiced Ciaran Madden)

The Cherry Picker (1974; re voiced Lulu)

I'm sure she has done more,but this is a good selection.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Shirley Eaton said that one of her lines is left untouched. So Jill has two voices in her short time on screen
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 19,339
    I wonder which line it was,it would be interesting to compare it..the thing is,Jill talks in 2 scenes so it could be either one.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I have a feeling I heard it was the comment she makes when Bond is on the phone. He then pushes her away. May be wrong.
    hmmm ok...I will put GF on when I get a chance and have a listen !
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Oh some new posts just about Nikki's career. How dull.

Still nice to see the tread seems to be bumping nicely.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

Buckle your seat belts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

Well if it is dull then you dont need to comment in the thread,wouldnt you agree ?

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

This again?
    Now that this thread is no longer banned from bumping, it does feel somewhat dull.
    Have I missed something while I was on hiatus?

There is an awful lot of diatribe for this thread ..
    barryt007 wrote: »

For a long time if you posted on this thread it wouldn't bump - leading to accusations and conspiracy theories as to why it was semi-banned.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, Van de Zyl is somewhat of a persona non grata with eon these days. Firstly Shirley Eaton refused to attend some convention if she was there - inevitably Van de zyl was then uninvited. It's clear that Nikki has some (perhaps understandable) bitterness about the lack of credit given to her for her voice roles, and she has been rude about some of the people she dubbed. You can look on her website and see it. Then there was the business about the foreword to her book withdrawn by Roger Moore, without clear reason.

On here, there was a thread created about the ongoing dispute and it was prevented from bumping by the powers that be.

That's what I gathered from being a long time reader of these forums.
    Aaah I see,that makes sense now....thanks Gents...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yes, Van de Zyl is somewhat of a persona non grata with eon these days. Firstly Shirley Eaton refused to attend some convention if she was there - inevitably Van de zyl was then uninvited. It's clear that Nikki has some (perhaps understandable) bitterness about the lack of credit given to her for her voice roles, and she has been rude about some of the people she dubbed. You can look on her website and see it. Then there was the business about the foreword to her book withdrawn by Roger Moore, without clear reason.

On here, there was a thread created about the ongoing dispute and it was prevented from bumping by the powers that be.

That's what I gathered from being a long time reader of these forums.

Strange, almost as if you've been here before.
    Certainly a sense of déjà vu.
    I really don't get why the thread was banned from bumping. A mystery.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 9,117
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Easy mate you're straying dangerously close to libel territory there.

The official line was, and always has been, that it was a computer glitch.

Just a glitch that coincidentally affected both threads about Nikki and no others.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

Easy mate you're straying dangerously close to libel territory there.

The official line was, and always has been, that it was a computer glitch.

Just a glitch that coincidentally affected both threads about Nikki and no others.

Interesting, these are the actual words of a mod

Hi. It all surrounds some outrageous claims and half truths she made that were offensive to many Eon people and others associated with Eon.

Regardless of what people say or think about whether this site is affiliated to Eon (it isn't) we do have a good relationship with them and try to be sensitive to their feelings.

I am however trying to get the top dogs to relax this apparent censorship surrounding the woman. At the same time their are members on here who will deliberately be provocative about the subject, just to wind the mod team up. We will see what transpires ;-)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Of course if this thread continues, as it has in the past, to be a thread to have a go at the mods then it can be locked up for good.
    If you want to discuss Nikki van der Zyl and discuss her contribution to the series then go ahead.
    Benny wrote: »
    Of course if this thread continues, as it has in the past, to be a thread to have a go at the mods then it can be locked up for good.
    If you want to discuss Nikki van der Zyl and discuss her contribution to the series then go ahead.

:))

A mere couple of posts off topic results in the threat of a lock yet how many threads go on merrily for days without a single post actually on topic without being similarly threatened?

The 'Bond 25 Production Diary' thread for example meanders for weeks on end without the slightest morsel of news yet no posts in there are off topic at all.

Poor old Nikki really does get people all excited (not like that perverts - although she has got a nice voice) for some reason.

Benny wrote: »

Who's having a go at the mods?
  • @tanaka123 Where is that quote from?

@TheWizardOfIce :)) I know right. Do the mods have a siren that goes off when Nikki's name is mentioned on the forums? Makes you think there's something else going on.
    There was once a lady called van der Zyl. She didn't smell. But she seems to be the one, the one who excites all the fun. Maybe it's because she doesn't get the credit she deserves. Maybe not. Discuss.
    @tanaka123 Where is that quote from?

@TheWizardOfIce :)) I know right. Do the mods have a siren that goes off when Nikki's name is mentioned on the forums? Makes you think there's something else going on.

@Comte_de_Bleuchamp it's from a message in my inbox from one of the mods when I was confused why the thread wasn't bumping.
    Hahaha im regretting creating this thread all that time ago now !
This discussion has been closed.