Nikki van der Zyl - Voice Dubber Extraordinaire

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bump
    edited December 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Looks like its just me and PeterGreenhill on the side of truth here. This is an absolute disgrace.

Remember when you wake up and find yourselves living in a Stasi police state that we spoke out.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Is this one not bumping either?

I'm with you two btw. It's stupid that they don't even want us to discuss this.

I also think that they're making things worse. Like Wizard said on another thread, if they'd just let things carry on then the discussion would've died down.

Instead they sneakily shut down the first thread (by stopping it bumping), closed Wizards thread altogether and have stopped this one from bumping too.

And by doing that they've bought much more attention to this whole thing.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm going to keep track of this thread.
    Is this one not bumping either?

I'm with you two btw. It's stupid that they don't even want us to discuss this.

I also think that they're making things worse. Like Wizard said on another thread, if they'd just let things carry on then the discussion would've died down.

Instead they sneakily shut down the first thread (by stopping it bumping), closed Wizards thread altogether and have stopped this one from bumping too.

And by doing that they've bought much more attention to this whole thing.

Welcome to the fight for freedom comrade (actually if you're a comrade you're a communist so do you actually believe in freedom? You get the general idea though!).

Good to have you on board.

Typical totalitarian state shambles trying to keep the population quiet. I'd have just deleted the threads entirely and then what proof would we have had but by trying to maintain the illusion that they dont mind us talking about it with this underhand non-bumping trick they have actually shown the very opposite.

What might Goldfinger have said?

'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times, it's enemy action.'

Viva la revolution!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Please people do not post comments about her book, Sir Rogers foreword being pulled or Bondstars dropping her. These topics are strictly out of bounds.

You should be careful with your allegations. Not everyone likes to be blamed for something they've likely had nothing to do with. Don't assume this website is involved with any sort of controversy.

I dont assume I observe.

You assume based on observation, otherwise you wouldn't make accusations.

Am I on my own here?

Sir Roger Moore a well loved national treasure writes a foreword to a seemingly innocuous book which he then, without explanation, pulls at the last minute.

I think thats a story worthy of discussion but when I raise it I am just met with people wanting to hush it all away or outright hostility as evidenced here.

Am I to unwittingly become the Anna Poltikovskaya of MI6?

Presumably someone is itching to lock this any minute for straying off topic so in an attempt to get the thread back on track did Nikki not do Tatiana as well? Having seen interviews with Daniella Bianchi I cant believe that she did her own voice but its not listed in Nikkis CV.

I thought Daniela's voice was dubbed? I could have sworn they did based on the behind the scenes, and especially since that Special Edition interview with her was all translated. The dubbing probably was not by Nikki, because they wanted a more Russian accent. Nikki, had a more sweet and gentle English accent.

Oh my gosh, it doesn't bump! You guys are right. This is rather upsetting. Please star this thread.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Please people do not post comments about her book, Sir Rogers foreword being pulled or Bondstars dropping her. These topics are strictly out of bounds.

You should be careful with your allegations. Not everyone likes to be blamed for something they've likely had nothing to do with. Don't assume this website is involved with any sort of controversy.

I dont assume I observe.

You assume based on observation, otherwise you wouldn't make accusations.

Am I on my own here?

Sir Roger Moore a well loved national treasure writes a foreword to a seemingly innocuous book which he then, without explanation, pulls at the last minute.

I think thats a story worthy of discussion but when I raise it I am just met with people wanting to hush it all away or outright hostility as evidenced here.

Am I to unwittingly become the Anna Poltikovskaya of MI6?

Presumably someone is itching to lock this any minute for straying off topic so in an attempt to get the thread back on track did Nikki not do Tatiana as well? Having seen interviews with Daniella Bianchi I cant believe that she did her own voice but its not listed in Nikkis CV.

I thought Daniela's voice was dubbed? I could have sworn they did based on the behind the scenes, and especially since that Special Edition interview with her was all translated. The dubbing probably was not by Nikki, because they wanted a more Russian accent. Nikki, had a more sweet and gentle English accent.

Very good of you to keep the thread on track JBFan626; we dont want to give them the excuse to close it - I dont think they will need much.

I would have thought that Nikki would have done Daniela as well. She was obviously the go to girl for EON when it came to re-voicing and Domino and Kissy show she could handle accents. But perhaps you are right and they wanted something deeper and more sultry for Tantiana.

Perhaps thats what this whole thing is about - Nikki did do Tatiana and EON screwed her somehow and never paid her or gave her a credit? Is that really enough though for people to be leaning on Sir Rog and MI6 to erase Nikki from Bond history ? I doubt it.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Oh my gosh, it doesn't bump! You guys are right. This is rather upsetting. Please star this thread.

Welcome to the fight as well JBFan626. Do these people learn nothing from history? Try and surpress the people and like East Berlin or the Arab Spring they will eventually band together and form a critical mass that will rise up against you.

We are but 4 but tell everyone you know to join up. This is our moment and its Ceausescu time for those who would silence us.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'm not commenting but I'm watching. :)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm not commenting but I'm watching. :)

Can understand that passive stance. At least you are with us in spirit. We cant all be Che Guevara.

I know that I am probably inches away from being booted off the site for refusing to let this go as they want me to and most people probably dont care enough to risk being forced off here and having to end up on CommanderBond.com but if good men do nothing.... etc etc.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Why is this thread not bumping?. I have a lot of respect for the MI6 site and the people who run it but your actions regarding discussion of Nikki van der Zyl are disappointing.

PLEASE don't assume it's the website. Code is very complicated and problems occur. I agree it is odd that both the Nikki threads are having issues, but you can't assume someone is behind it.

Give it time. Blaming MI6 isn't going to motivate them to solve the issue, is it?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Why is this thread not bumping?. I have a lot of respect for the MI6 site and the people who run it but your actions regarding discussion of Nikki van der Zyl are disappointing.

PLEASE don't assume it's the website. Code is very complicated and problems occur. I agree it is odd that both the Nikki threads are having issues, but you can't assume someone is behind it.

Give it time. Blaming MI6 isn't going to motivate them to solve the issue, is it?

Right, but can we get this issue fixed? Mods? @NicNac @St_George? Anybody? Nikki van der Zyl has contributed to the series for 17 years. I would think she is worthy of discussion on a Bond forum.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,691
    having to end up on CommanderBond.com
    No...NO!!!!

I would not have believed it. It really doesn't bump. Maybe not being bumpable is the only way they can allow this thread to survive- if so, that's something.

Isn't it?
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    Being involved in a Bond fan club is something I know a bit about (even if it happened mostly during the 6 year hiatus !). I will give a totally unrelated anecdote to avoid any questions related to the present topic (that I know nothing of, as a matter of fact, but I can easily imagine it's much more mundane than you think). But that may tell you something about the relation that exists between fan clubs and producers.

The Star Wars French fan club in the 90's was editing a "officially agreed by Lucas" magazine. They had an unofficial clause that some of you here would consider like dictatorial censorship given the strongs words I read here. It concerned the choice of photos, and in particular the on-set photos that they had access to. The papers in the fan club magazine could be critical of the movies, etc, no problem, etc, but a single photo could have made them lost forever their links with Lucas Films. It was clear for everyone involved that they should never, ever, publish a photo that
    showed Lucas' neck

Now would you basically stop running your fan club just because "I want to be able to do what I want ?". Remember, they have all the rights to stop feeding you with info etc...
    Being involved in a Bond fan club is something I know a bit about (even if it happened mostly during the 6 year hiatus !). I will give a totally unrelated anecdote to avoid any questions related to the present topic (that I know nothing of, as a matter of fact, but I can easily imagine it's much more mundane than you think). But that may tell you something about the relation that exists between fan clubs and producers.

The Star Wars French fan club in the 90's was editing a "officially agreed by Lucas" magazine. They had an unofficial clause that some of you here would consider like dictatorial censorship given the strongs words I read there. It concerned the choice of photos, and in particular the on-set photos that they had access to. The papers in the fan club magazine could be critical of the movies, etc, no problem, etc, but a single photo could have made them lost forever their links with Lucas Films. It was clear for anyone that they should never, ever, publish a photo that
    showed Lucas' neck

Now would you basically stop running your fan club just because "I want to be able to do what I want ?". Remember, they have all the rights to stop feeding you with info etc...

Thanks @Suivez_ce_parachute for sharing that anecdote. It actually gives some perspective.

I respect that Mr. Page does not wish to discuss the matter and disclose any information there may be related. Who knows, it may be, and probably is, out of his power to even make that call. Perhaps, EON has made even discussing Ms. van der Zyl off the table on fan sites, or risk threat of further action. We don't really know, but your point above does give some claivoyance to this point.

It is odd that 2 threads have lost the bump function, coincidentally both related to Nikki van der Zyl, and the one posted by WizardofIce was locked. I don't think that's coincidence; which is fine. But I think members have every right to at least ask the question why.

But ultimately, is it worth the fight for one small issue? Maybe it's best to let this one go. I don't think we will get any answers at this point.
    JBFan626 wrote:

The Star Wars French fan club in the 90's was editing a "officially agreed by Lucas" magazine. They had an unofficial clause that some of you here would consider like dictatorial censorship given the strongs words I read there. It concerned the choice of photos, and in particular the on-set photos that they had access to. The papers in the fan club magazine could be critical of the movies, etc, no problem, etc, but a single photo could have made them lost forever their links with Lucas Films. It was clear for anyone that they should never, ever, publish a photo that
    showed Lucas' neck

Thanks @Suivez_ce_parachute for sharing that anecdote. It actually gives some perspective.

I respect that Mr. Page does not wish to discuss the matter and disclose any information there may be related. Who knows, it may be, and probably is, out of his power to even make that call. Perhaps, EON has made even discussing Ms. van der Zyl off the table on fan sites, or risk threat of further action. We don't really know, but your point above does give some claivoyance to this point.

It is odd that 2 threads have lost the bump function, coincidentally both related to Nikki van der Zyl, and the one posted by WizardofIce was locked. I don't think that's coincidence; which is fine. But I think members have every right to at least ask the question why.

But ultimately, is it worth the fight for one small issue? Maybe it's best to let this one go. I don't think we will get any answers at this point.

Yeah thanks for that Suivez_ce_parachute (Incidentally before I go on whats wrong with George Lucas's neck? Has he got some horrendous Carlos Tevez scarring there or something?)

I think the deafening silence from JamesPage and the Mods means we arent going to get answers (JWESTBROOKS quaint refusal to countenance dark forces at work and blame it on computer code is, I'm afraid, a leap of faith I'm unwilling to make) and much as I dont want to admit defeat nor do I want to end up banned and being exiled to the awful C*******Bond.com and that seems the most likely outcome if I continue with my militant stance. Certainly more likely than any answers being forthcoming.

We dont know (well I dont anyway) how much work JamesPage puts in to keeping the site running and getting news and info but I'm sure its a lot (and I for one am grateful to him) and presumably that includes maintaining a good relationship with sources close to or within EON.

It is natural that he doesnt want to compromise what he has built up through years of hard work by souring any of these relationships in some way (if this indeed is what is occurring here). I cant believe that JamesPage has any personal axe to grind with Nikki so the only logical conclusion is that he is under duress by persons unknown which I will leave up to your imagination to speculate on whom that might be. For all we know JamesPage may not like what is being done as much as the rest of us but is having to bite down on a sh*t sandwich for the greater good of the site as a whole.

What I will say before reluctantly letting the matter rest is that if Nikki really is making 'unhinged accusations' why dont these people with 'too much class to go tittle-tattling and reacting to' see her in court rather than going about things in this rather underhand way? I would say that people who have enough sway in the world to get Sir Roger Moore to change his mind about the foreword would have no trouble affording a lawyer to sue Nikki for libel. Again I will leave you to draw you own conclusions on that.

In conclusion I would like to address all those out there who it seems want to suppress Nikkis story that your rather clunking North Korean government style efforts have had the opposite effect. Where once I was pretty disinterested in yet another minor Bond alumni knocking out a biography and would never in a million years have bought it, now I am thinking I will turn up to her book signing and get myself a signed copy as there seems to be a story here and who knows one day it could turn out to be quite a rare and valuable Bond collectible.

For any comrades in the struggle for freedom please feel free to PM if you want to discuss the matter further (I am not completely done with it yet!) as I fear talking about it here will only serve to antagonise the powers that be which is something I never particularly set out to do; its just where I ended up.

PS - Whatever anyone says thank you Nikki for your contribution to the early Bond girls. I think your re-voicing work goes a long way to make up the overall performance so that you should at least get a screen credit along with the actress. I dont know what youve done exactly to provoke all this but until I can make a judgement on the full facts one day you have my best regards.
  • What has Nikki van der Zyl done to provoke Sir Roger and Bond Stars and MI6 to act in a very curious way?.

Is she a liar?

If yes, let's have some evidence.
    It seems to be merely an ego thing. No more.
  • It was hardly Nikki van der Zyl's fault that certain people's voices were deemed by Eon to be not up to standard for a Bond movie. Also, why should she not receive credit for her work.

A pity that Sir Roger and MI6 have been dragged into this situation.

Someone seems to be putting some pressure on.
    It was hardly Nikki van der Zyl's fault that certain people's voices were deemed by Eon to be not up to standard for a Bond movie. Also, why should she not receive credit for her work.

A pity that Sir Roger and MI6 have been dragged into this situation.

Someone seems to be putting some pressure on.

I imagine the whole thing is down to some wrangle about a screen credit - although doesnt it seem more sinister than that?

I'm sure she was paid according to her contract so if that all it is she hasnt really got a leg to stand on. Yes she really ought to get a credit but theyre hardly going to do it now after 50 years or pay her a load of royalties. Its harsh but there it is. Probably these days voice over artists probably do get a credit and/or royalties the same as the actors but back in the past they didnt so theres nothing she can do about it and bleating on asking for some reparations is not going to change that and EON have no legal obligation to do anything. Its a cruel world but is that news to anybody?

But I cant help feeling its something more than that. Did Kevin Mcclory even have this sort of shadowy treatment happen to him and he was pretty much the most hated man in Bond history? People seem to be going to rather extreme lengths to hush the subject up if shes just a disgruntled ex-employee.

I guess it will all come out in time - one thing history shows is that suppressing the truth always fails in the end.
  • I agree. The truth will come out eventually.

This does seem to be something more than a disgruntled actress sounding off about the lack of screen credits, 50 years ago.

Is that enough to make MI6 want to suppress discussion by limiting bumping?

Wierd.
    I've just been on her website and pretty much read all of it. I recommend that you have a look at it.

She does come across as a bit mental ('commentary' and '007 Quiz' in particular) and with a massive chip on her shoulder.

But I dont think that justifies what has gone on. In fact it makes it even more baffling - just let her condemn herself as a mad old woman rather than going to such lengths which hint at something else altogether.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:

I'm sorry but this isn't anything do with the computer.

PeterGreenhill's thread was closed and JamesPage left a comment about the story being "bitter".

The other thread was sneakily stopped from bumping when Wizard asked some questions about it.

Wizard started a different thread which was also eventually closed.

The discussion shifted to this one which has also mysteriously stopped bumping.

It's nothing to do with a computer code, it's people sneakily trying to stop a discussion without closing the thread. I say we keep this thread going for as long as we can.
    "Bill, strange things are afoot at the Circle K."
    Why doesnt someone just close it? Dont really get why they are giving us this illusion of freedom to discuss it by leaving it open when we all know they just wish we'd all go away.
  • I think it doesn't bother them because barely anyone can see it anyway and if they do close it we'll just start another thread.
    I think it doesn't bother them because barely anyone can see it anyway and if they do close it we'll just start another thread.

Can one even start a thread with the words 'Nikki van der Zyl' in the title anymore? If they can tweak the code to stop Nikki threads bumping why not just go all the way and stop them altogether?
    I take it as kindness towards those of us who thought it worth discussing.
    chrisisall wrote:
    I take it as kindness towards those of us who thought it worth discussing.

What all four of us?

And elsewhere there is a thread started today to write a fawning thank you letter to Babs and MGW that is already up to 2 pages (and bumping quite happily to the top every time someone posts) but it seems no one is interested in the slightest who might have the influence to put Rog under sufficient pressure to pull his foreword.

Whats the point? Everything is rosy in the garden of EON as far as the masses are concerned. Seems like the suppression of this discussion has had the desired effect.
    No one is dying here- okay, whatever.
This discussion has been closed.