No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

The majority of the films finish with shots of him in contemplation, surviving, but not unscarred by the cards life has dealt him. The Craig era has given us endings that defy the happy go lucky sensibilities of old, thankfully and quite rightfully. This Bond shows us how impossible happy resolutions are, that good and bad don't really exist in a world painted gray, and that there's not much difference between winning and losing when both parties are left picking through the rubble of their lives as credits roll.

This to me is also very Fleming.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    bondjames wrote: »
    @SirHilaryBray, did the car you see have a removable roof?

No, It was solid, they wrote off 5 of them during filming they said, the one I saw is apparently the one use for when the car is first seen in the movie in the Q "It's for 008" moment.

2cp6hpl.jpg

2w568sl.jpg
    s6kc2u.jpg
    20r5vgw.jpg

PS Bond on Twitter have a Retweet competition on today to win the Skull kane prop that Dan held in PTS.
    what a great analysis ... well done @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7!
    [/quote]

@fanbond123, @ThighsOfXenia, @Perilagu_Khan, here's my piece on all this:

In my original post, I should have stressed that Dan's Bond doesn't do happy endings. Because we were all discussing his films and his films alone, I forgot that not being specific could lead to misinterpretation.

[/quote]
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Yes. Great read, Brady.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 9,770
    Lol with all this analysis I almost want to skip to the Craig era but sadly in my trying to watch all bond films in order I am in Connery era for a while and since I watch them when my wife is at work on weekends uhm I might not be at the Craig era till November lol

as for my own analysis this is why Craig needs to do 2 more honestly...

Casrino Royale like the book introduces us to his world to quantum to everything we need to know

Quantum of Solace really covers the following books thematically Live and Let Die From Russia with Love and Dr. No showing the threat evolving and building

Skyfall thematically fits with really Moonraker Diamonds are Forever and Goldfinger taking bond away from the main threat but dealing with this side threat that works in tangent with main one ( still say Silva is his own man and Spectre/Quantum just supplied him with men and that's it)

Spectre Brings us full circle and thematically with thunderball (in the books wasn't Blofeld even a former smersh operative its been a while) and On Her majesties Secret service showing us a new threat that has risen out of the ashes but also that Bond can Find solace from the wounds of Vesper and Fall in love again (Novel it's tracy in the film Spectre it's Madeline Swann)

So we in my opinion need two more from craig

Bond 25 showing Bond lose the second love of his life and take down the organization once and for all (his You only live twice)

Bond 26 to showcase no matter how many orgnizations Bond stops there will always be work for 007 to do (his Man with the golden Gun)

and then we can bring in Tom Hiddleston as 007 at 42 and keep him around for a decade or so (sorry the more I watch the night manger trailers the more I want him as 007 next..)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    @SirHilaryBray, did the car you see have a removable roof?

No, It was solid, they wrote off 5 of them during filming they said, the one I saw is apparently the one use for when the car is first seen in the movie in the Q "It's for 008" moment.

2cp6hpl.jpg

2w568sl.jpg
    s6kc2u.jpg
    20r5vgw.jpg

PS Bond on Twitter have a Retweet competition on today to win the Skull kane prop that Dan held in PTS.
    This thing is a beast! The sight lines looks pretty awful though. I wouldn't want to be caught in bad weather in one of these - hard to see anything most likely.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Part of the reason why I adore this era so much is because of just how much there is to analyze. I can't say that for many of the other films, sadly, but that's why I appreciate these ones so much. I hope EON continues with this same formula down the road, keeping Bond Bond, but adding in thematic content, symbolism and other elements as well that add depth and resonance to the films. In this way, we were lucky to have Mendes back to back, because he is so skilled at doing just that, though Forster did quite well for himself too, might I add.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Let's run through the films, shall we, to see how convention-breaking they are.
    (...)
    Nice run-through. Good read. You should analyze the first 20, too! ;-)
    I wonder how long it'll take for a looming cloud overhead to again bring Bond's world crashing down (again).
    (...)
    Pre title sequence, Bond 25!

Don't tempt me, @Zekidk! Knowing me, before hitting OHMSS I'd already have enough pages to fill a book! ;)
    Germanlady wrote: »
    But Brady, there is a point of no return and he can come very close and no " I dont give a damn" will save him then.

@Germanlady, what's this "point of no return" you speak of, and what's Dan coming so close to? If you mean the Bond role, that's pants, because EON are never going to tell him to walk; when he goes, it'll be on his own terms.

If it's the industry in general, again, that's total pants. Dan is a fine and respected man and character actor; there'll always be work for him. If Mel Gibson is still working, I think Dan's sense of humor, largely lost on this attention deficit planet, won't be enough to sink his career. He's a rare kind of talent too, because while some in his field refuse to do films where they can't be the lead and get the most cash, Dan is happy to take a small part on if it means he can still play and bring to life an interesting character. He does art for its own sake, not for money, not for fame, not for exposure. He's very Wildean in that regard.

I hear people say all the time that post Bond Dan isn't going to get any major big money work again, and that his career has already peaked. If that happens, so what? As I said, Dan isn't worried about getting massive roles; he pursues roles and projects that interest him and that he feels he can add something to through his acting. If the film happens to make money, that's just a bonus. Obviously he likes making money, we all need it to stabilize our lives and live comfortably, but it's never a pressing issue when the excitement of the role overtakes him. Trust me, post Bond, if Dan doesn't get blockbuster roles, I don't think he'll mind one bit. Bond has given his name a lot of weight, its provided him with a steady income that's allowed him to relax and enjoy his life, and many of the greatest opportunities he's had have come as a result of it all, and that won't just stop. At the end of the day, all of it is his choice and he owes us nothing.
  • @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Great analysis, although I do disagree somewhat about the way the Craig films view the series through a "real life prism" as all of them (even the first two) are very much pure fantasy in many ways. They attempt to deal with more human themes and gravitas (with various degrees of success, I might add) which is admirable, but there are still boat loads of absurdity.

I love the old films too because I think authorial intent is irrelevant. Despite what the filmmakers' intentions may have been, there's a lot to look at and analyze in terms of character etc in the older films as well. Now, the range and breadth of themes in the original 20 film run is less than Craig's, but that's because the filmmakers made conscious decisions to aim for this sort of thing, as well as be more diverse.

That said, I think many of the better Bond films do a great job (while still functioning as wonderful escapist fantasy entertainment) of looking at world weariness and what Bond's tragic past / sense of loss have turned him into. One of the things I admire most about some of the older entries (even Moore's) is that, unlike Craig's, they refuse to spell anything out in the text (and indeed, I'll concede that in many instances I'm sure thematic heft was very far down on their list of priorities). Everything about the first run Bond films (GoldenEye one exception) is focused wholly on the surface, which I think (as I said, regardless of intent) is actually a more effective way of investigating Bond's character.

It goes back to the "style vs. substance" argument that many critics trip up on. What critics fail to understand is that style often is substance. The style of the Bond films perfectly mimics the "cool, kept up, aesthetically perfect" facade that Bond puts on. Connery is best at being perfectly put together and panther-like but always keeping us aware that there is something underneath. We're talking about the cinematic character of Bond here, which has various levels of Fleming's in him, just to be clear. Even the deadpan quips etc can all be read as means of deflection - to keep everything on the surface and prevent anything from burrowing deeper. These Bond films are ALL gloss and sheen, and that's the whole point. We in the audience can make of them what we want, which I appreciate, while they also function as popcorn munching spy romps.

I love the Craig run too, and I understand why you value it higher, just arguing why I value the older films equally (obviously some I don't love as much as others). The thematic aspirations of this run are much less subtextual and much more blatantly in the text of the films. Which is one thing that does bother me occasionally - Craig is such an excellent, excellent actor that I hate when the filmmakers disrespect the audience's intelligence and spell out his inner thoughts (and subsequently the themes of the films) via some pretty clumsy dialogue sequences. Craig's performance is much more in tune with Bond's inner thoughts than other actors, bringing it more to the surface where I read the older performances as burying it all much, much deeper which is intersting in its own way.

Sorry for rambling. Totally respect you for holding the Craig films up higher, as they do have more artistic merit (on first glance as I attempt to argue). Not that "artistic merit" necessarily means higher quality of filmmaking in my book etc.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The Aston in Glasgow is on a promo tour to help with the upcoming launch of Spectre on DVD and BluRay the auction itself is in London tomorrow evening at Christie's in King St
    I will let you know how much it went for when I get back !.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    The Aston in Glasgow is on a promo tour to help with the upcoming launch of Spectre on DVD and BluRay the auction itself is in London tomorrow evening at Christie's in King St
    I will let you know how much it went for when I get back !.

Be the highest bidder, @Mrcoggins, then you can let all of MI6's members borrow it for a week each. We should do it alphabetically by username so that I get a chance to go behind wheel before @Creasy47 wrecks it. He already has a history of destroying the Lotus, the DB5 and the Vantage, all driven straight into trees, posts, buildings and rivers. And, I had to be in the damn back seat while all this way going on. The nerve of some people...
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Great analysis, although I do disagree somewhat about the way the Craig films view the series through a "real life prism" as all of them (even the first two) are very much pure fantasy in many ways. They attempt to deal with more human themes and gravitas (with various degrees of success, I might add) which is admirable, but there are still boat loads of absurdity.

I love the old films too because I think authorial intent is irrelevant. Despite what the filmmakers' intentions may have been, there's a lot to look at and analyze in terms of character etc in the older films as well. Now, the range and breadth of themes in the original 20 film run is less than Craig's, but that's because the filmmakers made conscious decisions to aim for this sort of thing, as well as be more diverse.

That said, I think many of the better Bond films do a great job (while still functioning as wonderful escapist fantasy entertainment) of looking at world weariness and what Bond's tragic past / sense of loss have turned him into. One of the things I admire most about some of the older entries (even Moore's) is that, unlike Craig's, they refuse to spell anything out in the text (and indeed, I'll concede that in many instances I'm sure thematic heft was very far down on their list of priorities). Everything about the first run Bond films (GoldenEye one exception) is focused wholly on the surface, which I think (as I said, regardless of intent) is actually a more effective way of investigating Bond's character.

It goes back to the "style vs. substance" argument that many critics trip up on. What critics fail to understand is that style often is substance. The style of the Bond films perfectly mimics the "cool, kept up, aesthetically perfect" facade that Bond puts on. Connery is best at being perfectly put together and panther-like but always keeping us aware that there is something underneath. We're talking about the cinematic character of Bond here, which has various levels of Fleming's in him, just to be clear. Even the deadpan quips etc can all be read as means of deflection - to keep everything on the surface and prevent anything from burrowing deeper. These Bond films are ALL gloss and sheen, and that's the whole point. We in the audience can make of them what we want, which I appreciate, while they also function as popcorn munching spy romps.

I love the Craig run too, and I understand why you value it higher, just arguing why I value the older films equally (obviously some I don't love as much as others). The thematic aspirations of this run are much less subtextual and much more blatantly in the text of the films. Which is one thing that does bother me occasionally - Craig is such an excellent, excellent actor that I hate when the filmmakers disrespect the audience's intelligence and spell out his inner thoughts (and subsequently the themes of the films) via some pretty clumsy dialogue sequences. Craig's performance is much more in tune with Bond's inner thoughts than other actors, bringing it more to the surface where I read the older performances as burying it all much, much deeper which is intersting in its own way.

Sorry for rambling. Totally respect you for holding the Craig films up higher, as they do have more artistic merit (on first glance as I attempt to argue). Not that "artistic merit" necessarily means higher quality of filmmaking in my book etc.

Great discussion, @ThighsOfXenia. There's definitely a lot to analyze in the older films, namely Connery's, OHMSS and Dalton's two for me, but more so on the character level than big sweeping themes, as you said. I didn't mean to fully discount any of the previous films (well, most of them) in my analysis, it's just that for me, going from the Craig era films to another era's movies, like Moore's for example, doesn't provide me with the same jolt or exciting stimulation of the mind. But again, to each their own. All the eras have something to admire, whether it's the straight up Cold War spy thrillers of the Connery era, the breathtaking stuntwork and location shooting of the Moore era, or the dark and straight-faced Bond of Dalton. Lots to love, lots to discuss. :)
  • Precisely, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 - Just didn't want to discredit the merit or value of some of the older films just because they weren't quite as thematically inclined. I think great filmmaking (such as the early Connery movies, as an example) always allows for thought provoking analysis.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm always in defense of what is considered "low art," as I think, for example, that despite its more sweeping and intentional "stimulation of the mind" I don't think QoS is half the film of, say, Goldfinger, which doesn't immediately attempt to make any broad statements about the nature of espionage, Bond as a character, etc - that said, I think it's crafted so well that it does allow analysis of Connery's portrayal of Bond etc etc.

I do really respect what the Craig era has done for the character though. Much of what they've done has helped inform the way I look back at the older ones, and enriches almost all of them. For that I'm grateful.
  • edited May 2016 Posts: 820
    What I'm reading say Daniel Craig is not quitting. Well I prey I hope not because he must do the 5th Bond as 007. 4 Bond movies as 007 is not enough. He can play 007 for 5th & last time. Some people either 2017or 18 Bond 25. He my third Favourite 007. He did well as ever in SPECTRE & the movie was doing well all over so why does quit from this? That question I never know.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Thanks, Germanlady, for the link.

As far as we're all concerned right now, Daniel is still Bond, until the producers announce the otherwise.
    Agreed... As for a script with enough drama to lure Craig back really they just need to look at OHMSS and YOLT for motivation and the ability to give Craig a strong film (with the man with the golden gun and Colonel Sun as inspiration for Craig's 6th and final film)

Personally I am more interested in what kind of Director Craig would want to work weith as I have no doubt Mendes is out (he likes to do family relationships he already did mother father and brother unless we get a sisterly relationship to pique his interest I doubt that mendes will come back and I doubt the prodcuers will go for it)

What has me slightly nervous is we are almost done with February and MGM is still kind of in between partner studios. My Hope is it will be WB and to be bluntly honest yes I want a Nolan 007 trilogy (even after the disappointment that is The Dark Knight rises) after two more from Craig...

in terms of directors with gravitas that could interest Craig really I can only think of four choices

Steven Spielberg (who after bridge of spies at least from the trailers would be really cool)
    David Fincher (who I would honestly prefer and given the darkness of the story that Craig and company are going for showing bond happy and then lose that happiness and go for revenge yeah Fincher would be Ideal)
    Tom Holland (who is a huge bond fan and I believe is an Oscar winner and I would put money on as being the next director)
    Edward Zwick (my second choice and the second most likely if I was a gambling man)

I also am really curious who will be writing the script Logan is long gone

though to be vaguely realistic my guess for the script is

Neal Purvis Robert Wade and Jez Butterworth

or perhaps just Jez and a new writer?

My hope would be Jez Butterworth Christopher Mcquarrie and David Goyer (who I only want there because he is a stickler for source material so he would push for Fleming Characters story lines and a title...)

but like I said my hope is within 3 months we will know the studio the writers and maybe the release date (which I am ok with 2018 and even bond 26 coming out 2021 3 year gaps being the norm I am honestly ok with because it avoids over exposure and allows for writers to develop the films a bit better)

and while this is off topic my hopes for the future

All the Time in the World (2018) Dealing with the love and loss of Swann and the final battle between Bond and Blofeld

The Hildebrand Rarity (2021) Dealing with Bond being brought back into service and having to deal with a new threat from M's past (I think the brainwashed elements from TMWGG could work here but I almost want them to use a different 00 agent then bond this being the final Craig film)

Death to Spies (2023) bond dealing with a resurgence of Smersh (Directed by Nolan staring Hiddleston)

The Property of a Lady (2026) Bond Dealing with Smersh's top hitmen the Spang Brothers and the mysterious Liz Krest

The Rough with the Smooth (2029) Bond Destroying the resurged Smersh and killing Colonel Von Hammerstien head of the reformed Smersh. (end of the Nolan trilogy)

I think that would make me very happy unsure about everyone else lmao but for me I would be VERY happy!
    With David Fincher the production would take about 2 years :D He would be the worst choice, going over budget so much, Spectre's would look like a cheap Indie.

Ed Zwick, IMO, is too old and has sorta lost it. Sadly it showed already in DC's Defiance.
    I love Samurei and even though that film was very cheesy at times, it was still glorious.

Please new writers all the way or Paul Haggis. There must be many out there, willing to give their all for Bond. They need new and fresh ideas.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    As for director, just get Cuaron and be done with it!
    Martin Campbell opened the show with CR. He should finish it!
    IF he could deliver another CR. But can he? He is much older and with a good script, I believe, many could do it.
    Well EON can't seem to find a single director out of the "many" to give us a film that's as good or better than CR.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Well EON can't seem to find a single director out of the "many" to give us a film that's as good or better than CR.

Get a great script first. THAT should be their first and foremost concern. As for the rest - those MANY directors will be standing in line.

Like you said, they need a great script first, something that has eluded them for an entire decade now. Once that's in place we'll see what EoN do but for now, they're facing a creative uphill battle and with the competition coming in thick and fast, the pressure is on.

As CR is one of the finest action movies ever made, it would be quite difficult to do that. Im hoping they can get Campbell back for one more and soon as he's getting quite old.
  • RC7RC7

Get a great script first. THAT should be their first and foremost concern. As for the rest - those MANY directors will be standing in line.

Firstly, just writing a great script isn't easy. Far from it. Add to that the fact there will be many cooks further down the line from an executive perspective; plus a director who will want to take the story down different paths and you're still in the typical Hollywood mire. Someone needs to bring a concept to the table that is exciting and that can be the focal point of the screenwriting and pre-production process. The script can then operate in appropriate flux (there will be no stopping that) with the key driver still intact. Again, though, this is still far from easy, especially if all parties on on board.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    -
    It might be best to bring on a director and a writer at the same time and allow them to develop the core idea of the film and basic structure together so that some of that back-and-forth between the many involved parties can be avoided. Obviously, you can't avoid the input from the studio executives and whatnot, but having the director and writer on the same page from the very beginning would help create a solid foundation for everything else moving forward.
  • RC7RC7
    dalton wrote: »
    It might be best to bring on a director and a writer at the same time and allow them to develop the core idea of the film and basic structure together so that some of that back-and-forth between the many involved parties can be avoided. Obviously, you can't avoid the input from the studio executives and whatnot, but having the director and writer on the same page from the very beginning would help create a solid foundation for everything else moving forward.

Naturally. Unlikely to happen imo. One can always hope.
    One can only hope that they'll learn from the mistakes of Spectre and go that route, but you're right in saying that it's unlikely to happen.
    I would have hoped the script for 25 was well on its way by this point. I think the series deserves a proper send-off for Craig. Change directors, adjust writers, and develop a unique, exciting, action-driven story. Preferably this story would be based somewhere in this universe, where hitting a moving helicopter with a pistol while in a moving boat at night is beyond the scope of practicality. Also, no planes flying up next to cars and pistols being fired and actually hitting moving cars and planes. I mean I understand it's a Bond movie, but can we at least up the realism a tad?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    "Still Bond"? ...like Waltz isn't Blofeld and Harris isn't Moneypenny....

Technically no one is Bond ....if there's a contractual option and Craig takes it then yeah contractually Craig is Bond.