No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Really really great discussions for why 2 parter can be great and why it can be bad.

I really feel that Eon can pull it off. I really do. 2 parters are the new thing now when it comes to ending a film series (Harry potter, twilight, hunger games) the same thing can happen when they end Craig's run. I feel with the right director, script, crew, and payment Craig will do it. This is jmo.

I also feel a 2 parter is the only way to get Craig to do 2 more rather just1 more.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Such a shame really. At least I have other beloved franchises to tide me over while these people get their act in gear. I'm hoping they come back with a multi-year plan and an actor who will commit to that schedule so we don't mess about any more. I continue to get older while all these machinations (rights to Blofeld, directors pissing about, actor's schedules, new studios, bankruptcies etc.) take place.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    I continue to get older while all these machinations (rights to Blofeld, directors pissing about, actor's schedules, new studios, bankruptcies etc.) take place.

To be fair none of these things would matter that much if they could just hire someone who can write.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I continue to get older while all these machinations (rights to Blofeld, directors pissing about, actor's schedules, new studios, bankruptcies etc.) take place.

To be fair none of these things would matter that much if they could just hire someone who can write.

As someone else wrote, writing a great script is a very difficult process. It takes draft after draft after draft to get to a polished, film-able product. And, for a big franchise like Bond, that script will keep changing and evolving once the director is chosen; stars may wish for dialogue to be re-written; locations will change entire sequences.... it's a never-ending process that still see lines changed right up to a.d.r. in post.

If they brought on writers tomorrow, a workable draft wouldn't be in place for another twelve to eighteen months.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    peter wrote: »

As someone else wrote, writing a great script is a very difficult process. It takes draft after draft after draft to get to a polished, film-able product. And, for a big franchise like Bond, that script will keep changing and evolving once the director is chosen; stars may wish for dialogue to be re-written; locations will change entire sequences.... it's a never-ending process that still see lines changed right up to a.d.r. in post.

If they brought on writers tomorrow, a workable draft wouldn't be in place for another twelve to eighteen months.

There's 'workable script' and then there's '3rd act shambles'.

I realise perfection is difficult to attain but surely something that does not collapse in on itself shouldn't be beyond them?
    The thing about shooting a two-parter is that it isn't two separate films; like, it's easier on everyone to shoot a giant story and then simply split it into two films. Much easier than filming them apart, as they would have to gear up the production again after stopping, find new members of the entire team, new scripts, new this, new that. Doing a two part film is waayyyyyy better, faster, more efficient than taking on two of them apart.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,817
    2018?
    What a shame.

EDIT: Just cut the budget, make a scaled-back adventure in the vein of FRWL or OHMSS, we could use one of those. Would save time and money.

Depends on the script/writer. Billy Bob Thornton write Sling Blade in one sitting, like six hours or something ridiculous. It won an Oscar for Original Screenplay. I know it isn't a huge action movie but you are way off on the 12-18 months. A script can be cranked out fast if they have the story down.
    If Craig had no commitments Id say 2017 is somewhat realisitc. assuming the story is true EON must have some sort of an idea what B25 will be be in regards to the story.

Something tells me we will also be getting an unknown director.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Somehow this wasn't a problem in the '60s, when the plot and dialogue was substantially better.

They had Fleming and his incredible novels to base the films on. Most of the best stuff has already been used.

• Birdleson wrote: »
    Somehow this wasn't a problem in the '60s, when the plot and dialogue was substantially better.

Hmmmm...

"Moneypenny, next time I see you, I'll put you across my knee."
    "On yoghurt and lemon juice? *creepy laughter* I can hardly wait!"
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Depends on the script/writer. Billy Bob Thornton write Sling Blade in one sitting, like six hours or something ridiculous. It won an Oscar for Original Screenplay. I know it isn't a huge action movie but you are way off on the 12-18 months. A script can be cranked out fast if they have the story down.

Although Hollywood likes to create their own myths (a script written in a day?), Billy Bob was also the director. For all we know, the original script could have been bullet points with some dialogue sprinkled through it since he knew how he was going to shoot it.

As far as a twelve to eighteen month window to get a workable draft, that is pretty Hollywood standard. Writing a screenplay is tough work, and rarely anything good comes from a rushed script. And, if they (producers) hire writers, an outline will have to be completed and approved before the writers even put figurative pen to paper to complete the first draft.

Once a draft is complete, the producers will read, make notes and deliver back to writers who will get back to work (this takes time; plus they may want the "star" to read if it's a franchise). They may do this one more time (a three-step deal). The writers will likely have deadlines, however, the producers (wanting to get the story "right"), will give ample opportunity.

The writers will take as much time as is necessary since they also want to get it right. They know that if they don't, the first people to get fired on a film project are the writers.

Assuming the producers are happy with the original three-step deal, they may re-hire these writers to continue polishing the script (more reading, notes, writing), or they may hire a script doctor (or two, or three, or four...) to do the polishing for them. Oftentimes these doctors are uncredited (but handsomely rewarded).

Then the script will go out to a list of directors to read (takes time); the director who gets hired will have his/her notes as well. More writers are brought on board (if the director has clout, s/he will bring writers on board they have worked with in the past), hence, even more writing, reading, notes...
  • Well, actually, you are right there, the Brosnan era jokes were a lot worse.
    "I see you handle your weapon well."
    "I have been known to keep my tip up."
    Ugh............................................................................
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Birdleson wrote: »

They had Fleming and his incredible novels to base the films on. Most of the best stuff has already been used.

They also had Maibaum, who was essential to Bond's early success.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Maibaum knew, respected and sometimes (GOLDFINGER) improved upon the source material. The likes of him in this franchise, I think, sadly, will never be seen again. He was special.
  • I hope not.
  • I actually laughed out loud when i heard the lip service joke in goldeneye though, but yea generally I agree
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Why not have Bond 25 start with Madeleine saying:
    "But James I need you..."
    Bond: "So does England."

Great way to end the Madeleine relationship haha :-)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Jeffrey wrote: »

THIS! :))
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited February 2016 Posts: 2,252

Please....no more references/tributes to previous movies, and think of something new. 4 of the last 5 movies have had tributes to previous films

2018?
    What a shame.

EDIT: Just cut the budget, make a scaled-back adventure in the vein of FRWL or OHMSS, we could use one of those. Would save time and money.

Even that will take time, since it's a James Bond and thus a big machine to put in motion. Beside was OHMSS a scaled-back? In comparison with YOLT maybe, but it was certainly large scale. I think there is only a slight chance that it can be released before 2018. And if Craig does not do it, we can expect longer delays.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    All the latest press speculation about MGM and EON "pushing back" Bond to accommodate Craig is nuts.

For a 2017 Bond 25, There is to date...

No script
    No script writers
    A new Star Wars out in 12/2017 to cut off a 2017 Bond film's legs again
    No Director
    No Asst. Director
    No new or ongoing supporting cast even hinted at
    No new Bond yet (Craig will be doing Othello and Purity when shooting for a 2017 film starts)
    No studio

On what planet will preproduction for a 2017 bond 25 film begin in a few months. Anyone who thinks EON and MGM will get all the above needed ducks fully lined up in the next few weeks has my vote to deal with Syria and ISIS next.

With Othello due to run in the fall, Craig was never going to be available for a 2017 film, and EON has not made the slightest move to bring a Bond out in 2017 without him. It's obvious they are going for 2018 at the earliest and Craig's questionable availability even then is only one of multiple problems they will have to face.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 1,092

Although Hollywood likes to create their own myths (a script written in a day?), Billy Bob was also the director. For all we know, the original script could have been bullet points with some dialogue sprinkled through it since he knew how he was going to shoot it.

As far as a twelve to eighteen month window to get a workable draft, that is pretty Hollywood standard. Writing a screenplay is tough work, and rarely anything good comes from a rushed script. And, if they (producers) hire writers, an outline will have to be completed and approved before the writers even put figurative pen to paper to complete the first draft.

Once a draft is complete, the producers will read, make notes and deliver back to writers who will get back to work (this takes time; plus they may want the "star" to read if it's a franchise). They may do this one more time (a three-step deal). The writers will likely have deadlines, however, the producers (wanting to get the story "right"), will give ample opportunity.

The writers will take as much time as is necessary since they also want to get it right. They know that if they don't, the first people to get fired on a film project are the writers.

Assuming the producers are happy with the original three-step deal, they may re-hire these writers to continue polishing the script (more reading, notes, writing), or they may hire a script doctor (or two, or three, or four...) to do the polishing for them. Oftentimes these doctors are uncredited (but handsomely rewarded).

Then the script will go out to a list of directors to read (takes time); the director who gets hired will have his/her notes as well. More writers are brought on board (if the director has clout, s/he will bring writers on board they have worked with in the past), hence, even more writing, reading, notes...

Yes, I've written scripts, lived in LA for 14 years, been an actor, and have published 13 novels. Even if the process you describe happens (it doesn't always, depends on the film), the ENTIRE process of getting the pre-production on the film is going forward AT THE SAME TIME. It's not like they go, wait, we have to finish the entire script first before we do anything else! Hold on, forget casting a single role, forget signing people for contracts or looking for directors, none of that! No, my friend, it all goes forward at once, with multiple entities of the process doing what they need to in order to get it done. Even during filming sometimes people are still reworking the script. It's an organic, constantly evolving process.

It doesn't take 18 months to finish a script. Not really. More like 18 months to finish the whole film once they really get started on doing things that need to physically happen. :))
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    At least it won't compete with Star Wars again.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hmmmm....

I'm sure this is you joking but there are plenty of people who think that would be brilliant which is one of many reasons that contrition hurting the series. Forget the references, it serves f*** all. We know we're watching a Bond film so let's just get on with things and bring the film and series forward.

I think we all can save ourselves a lot of breazh and energy, if we stop talking about a possible 17 film. Please.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Was anybody actually expecting a 2017 film?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Was anybody actually expecting a 2017 film?

By the posts here, it seems so.

Like I said before, even the title of this thread is totally going that way. Oh, they pushed it from 17 to 18. Its getting ridiculous. Can we change it, please.