SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited January 2016 Posts: 2,015
    SP has almost one million viewers less than SF had in Germany. Can't see any way to have figures that can make SP surpass SF. Except if you compare SP in dollars and SF in euros !
  • SP global box offices passes $872 million, according to BOX OFFICE MOJO

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond24.htm
    Yeah, that's already been stated; on the previous page. :-O
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Yep, i've noticed that @skullkrusher, is always posting BO news a day later, that other members have already posted.

:) ;) :-O
    SP has almost one million viewers less than SF had in Germany. Can't see any way to have figures that can make SP surpass SF. Except if you compare SP in dollars and SF in euros !

I agree, but that's what the film trade are saying...umm strange

Spectre still chugging along in the UK, film is upto a massive £94.6 mil, after a £180 k weekend.

But in dollar terms, due to the falling exchange rates, the dollar accumulative figure has been going down each week for the last month.

:-O
    So with SF rates, the film would be at 900 or more?
    Germanlady wrote: »
    So with SF rates, the film would be at 900 or more?

Well, if Skyfall had been released in 2015, with the then exchange rates, it is very likely the film would of not reached $1 billion worldwide. In fact the only real difference between SP and SF at the box office, would of been the N.American gross.

Even in the last couple of months during Spectre's run the exchange rates have gone down quite a bit.

I notice at the current time SP is making more money per week in Germany than in the UK. ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    SP has done reasonably well enough. Better than one could have expected. I'm quite satisfied that it didn't surpass SF though. The earlier film deserves to be the higher grosser and I'm glad it has retained that spot, exchange rates or not, so it's all worked out in the end as far as I'm concerned.
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP has done reasonably well enough. Better than one could have expected. I'm quite satisfied that it didn't surpass SF though. The earlier film deserves to be the higher grosser and I'm glad it has retained that spot, exchange rates or not, so it's all worked out in the end as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly, because of the decent box office, then we can be rest assured of another Bond film in the not too distant future.

Almost 900 million is better than decent, my friend. :P
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    10 billion would be 'decent' in today's maniacal rush to top all else.
    Nearly 1 billion is just okay.
    8-|
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    10 billion would be 'decent' in today's maniacal rush to top all else.
    Nearly 1 billion is just okay.
    8-|

Funny that's exactly how my ex wife thinks :P
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

We still doing this? OK, with 872 million, Spectre passes the first Lord of the rings to claim no.42 on the highest grossing list. Can probably nudge past the next Harry Potter and Ice Age. If it beats Spider-man 3's 890 then it means Spectre and Skyfall are Sony's two highest grossing films ever.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

Yep, i've noticed that @skullkrusher, is always posting BO news a day later, that other members have already posted.

Not always.
    mepal1 wrote: »

Not always.

:)

I meant it was a high enough box office haul, to offset the galactic sized production and marketing costs of the film, hence there will be some profit, hence we will get another Bond film made.

:P
    More than just some profit once the ancillaries are added. Like a lot of profit. :))
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 79
    As there were again some comments on SPs performance in Germany and on the exchenge rate effect, some clarification:

SP is performing quite impressively in Germany
    With now 7 Mio viewers, it is only ~10% behind of SF (7,8 Mio)
    In terms of admissions, SP is by far the most successfull Bond movie in Germany since TSWLM - with the exception of SF

In EUR, SP has actually surpassed SF as the most successful Bond movie of all time!

However, in terms of USD, it is significantly below the value of SF

I just did the maths again for the Box Office comparisson with SF adjusted for exchange rate effects.

So, BoxOfficemojo.com reports 674 Mio USD foreign total, of which they show 642 Mio USD by countries (30 Mio is not reported by country)

If I apply the November 2012 USD exhange rate to SPs box office by country, SP would stand at: 753 Mio USD.
    If you just add SPs USA box office (200 Mio USD) to that, SP would stand at: 953 Mio USD

Adding the "missing" 30 Mio USD, we end up pretty close to 1 bn USD (983 USD).
    Remark: I have only applied the exchange rate for the top 20 currencies. The effect would even be a bit bigger, if I did it also for the rest.
    Also, SP will still gather some ~20 Mio USD:

So:
    SP would have almost exactly ended up with 1 bn USD if the dollar would have the sme value as in 2012 when SF was released.

No if we take the USA out of the equation (the only main market where SP seriously disappointed), the picture gets interesting

w/o USA
    SP (adjusted for exchange rate effects): 753 Mio USD
    SF: 770 Mio USD

This means:
    - SP is a mere 2% behind SF outside the USA - adjusted for exchange rate
    - if we assume that average ticketprices around the world have increased by 10% from 2012 to 2015 this means that SP is ~12% behind SF in "real" number of tickets sold

• SP surpasses SKYFALL total gross in Japan over the weekend

http://www.sonypictures.jp/corp/press/2016/0112.html
  • RC7RC7
    SP surpasses SKYFALL total gross in Japan over the weekend

Not surprising. The Japanese have great taste.

I have already mentioned this. ;)

Unfortunately, though in dollar terms, the film has so far grossed a lot less in dollar terms, in Japan.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

I have already mentioned this. ;)

Unfortunately, though in dollar terms, the film has so far grossed a lot less in dollar terms, in Japan.

Great taste...

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,116
    RC7 wrote: »

Not surprising. The Japanese have great taste.

Yeah but SF was 48th whereas MI:GP was the top grosser in Japan in 2012. How is that great taste?

• edited January 2016 Posts: 45
    32.5K Monday, starting to make less than The Martian daily now.

Let's see how much farther it can limp. With the upcoming releases this week and Martian making more, not sure how much longer it'll stick around.

All good though, bring on that blu ray with deleted scenes hopefully.

SPECTRE
    Sony / Columbia

Friday 1/8 $115,665
    Saturday 1/9 $186,727
    Sunday 1/10 $101,127
    Monday 1/11$32,596
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's already been confirmed that the blu-ray will have no extended/deleted scenes. In fact, the blu-ray special features in their entirety are severely lacking, as usual.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    So is it the 9th or the 22nd here in the states?
    32.5K Monday, starting to make less than The Martian daily now.

Let's see how much farther it can limp.

SPECTRE
    Sony / Columbia

Friday 1/8 $115,665
    Saturday 1/9 $186,727
    Sunday 1/10 $101,127
    Monday 1/11$32,596

By my reckoning, by the end of next weekend SP would of grossed somewhere around $199 mil in N.America. Getting that last $1 mil is gonna be a crawl, isn't it?

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Last_Rat_Standing, the digital release is January 22nd and the blu-ray/DVD release is February 9th here in the States.
    mepal1 wrote: »

By my reckoning, by the end of next weekend SP would of grossed somewhere around $199 mil in N.America. Getting that last $1 mil is gonna be a crawl, isn't it?

Heh yep, going to be a painfully slow crawl. At least it still made 400K over the weekend. Another weekend or two like that and we'd be golden!

• edited January 2016 Posts: 45
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's already been confirmed that the blu-ray will have no extended/deleted scenes. In fact, the blu-ray special features in their entirety are severely lacking, as usual.

Oh, lame. Wonder if that's a Mendes thing or an EON thing. I remember seeing CR deleted scenes but don't recall if they were on the Blu Ray or not. Skyfall I know didn't have them, even though they were mentioned at some point.