SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    Does Sony make money of the blu ray/dvd as well or just the theatre run?
    The home entertainment distribution of SPECTRE is handled by Fox on behalf of MGM.

True but I think Sony may still get part of that. I don't know but I'm sure MGM gets their lion share of the profits :P
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I actually wonder if there aren't some contractual mandates/limits on how long movies show in theaters, or how many screens it's shown on.

Yes they are contracts between theaters and studios, and some pretty nasty you would not believe when the theater is a little one, but there's no general rules. I talk about France's theaters having to deal with US movies but I'm sure it's the same elsewhere...
    This makes me think it must be partly studio mandated through contracts at certain locations. This could mean Sony DOES have the power to almost make sure it makes it above 200m, even if it costs them a bit to do it.

The Box Office Mojo figure is not the industry's figure, it's a sum of errors. Even if it stops below 200M$ on the site, in three months you may learn the official final figure is above 200M$, and Box Office Mojo will update it with this new figure without having the daily figures to reach it. It happened in the past.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wonder if they're a place where we can learn the total money a film has made so far, merchandising, home video, ... sales included.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I wonder if they're a place where we can learn the total money a film has made so far, merchandising, home video, ... sales included.

I've never seen a source that gives all that info.

However, the box office site www.the-numbers.com does give DVD and Blu-Ray sales figures for the North American market, as well as the usual cinema box office figures.

I actually wonder if there aren't some contractual mandates/limits on how long movies show in theaters, or how many screens it's shown on.

Yes they are contracts between theaters and studios, and some pretty nasty you would not believe when the theater is a little one, but there's no general rules. I talk about France's theaters having to deal with US movies but I'm sure it's the same elsewhere...
    This makes me think it must be partly studio mandated through contracts at certain locations. This could mean Sony DOES have the power to almost make sure it makes it above 200m, even if it costs them a bit to do it.

The Box Office Mojo figure is not the industry's figure, it's a sum of errors. Even if it stops below 200M$ on the site, in three months you may learn the official final figure is above 200M$, and Box Office Mojo will update it with this new figure without having the daily figures to reach it. It happened in the past.[/quote]

Exactly, i don't take the International figures at BOM as gospel.

As the International figures, quoted, are not necessary the upto date figures that the studios have for their films. BOM do from time to time update the International figures as and when they get new information of a films grosses from the studio.

The Bond films, are no exception.

TND (1997) has had a very confusing history. Initially the worldwide gross was reported as £343.3 mil, then a few years later this went upto £346.6 mil, then the figure went down to £339 mil, and today the official gross is quoted as $333 mil, i believe.

The figure for QOS is also dubious, as at one point the final gross was quoted as $576 mil, then BOM somehow managed to add $10 mil to that figure, becoming $586 mil.
    Then they changed it back down to $576 mil, and then after a while it went back upto to $586 mil, but without an explanation for the discrepancy.

CR's worldwide tally for years was quoted as $594 mil, then suddenly jumped upto $599 mil.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,015
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Well imagine you're an actor who has negotiated a share of the profits :)

Hollywood accounting : Return of the Jedi officially never made a profit.

For SPECTRE though, well, we have the leaks to have the insider info about how much profit they thought they would have. IIRC(and I probably don't remember correctly!) with the 220M$ budget, and with the same share of BO for the US as for SF, $650M was the start of the profit for Sony. But well, the document is just a rule-of-three Excel sheet probably done in less than a hour ! Then it probably jumped with the budget going up and after that the two-weeks interruption of the shooting...
    mepal1 wrote: »
    The figure for QOS is also dubious, as at one point the final gross was quoted as $576 mil, then BOM somehow managed to add $10 mil to that figure, becoming $586 mil.
    Then they changed it back down to $576 mil, and then after a while it went back upto to $586 mil, but without an explanation for the discrepancy.

The Worldwide numbers are dubious anyway (and the "inflation adjusted ones" totally false, to make it brief). France's most accurate figures for movies released in 2015 will only be known at the end of 2016 (SF did more than 7M only with the figures one year after IIRC), so how can you have a WW figure instantly ? :) Multiply this by the number of countries...

About the $200M US or not debate, I think the best recent example is Tangled. It ended at a few millions less than $200M. And, well, a few months later, it was in the $200M+ category.

But at least here the "creativity" is only a few % in the end. With the "opening day" records and so on, here we're talking about some creativity that adds 50% to the figures or more ! I heard it through the grapevine that some people at Rentrak are tempted to make their own barometer, because they think it would be an instant success (imagine Box Office Mojo by people with access to the accuracy of the industry).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Silly silly French man.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    SP still doing reasonably well over the Xmas period, considering the number of theaters it is playing in now in the N.American market.

The estimated gross for the last 7 days from Xmas Day has been $1,72 mil (est), for a running total of $197.1 mil (est). After the NY holidays film should be close to $198 mil, then it really is gonna be tough for SP to get that last $2 mil before the film ends its run.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,015
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Silly silly French man.

Here's a random column on the subject :

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/
    Latest BO news from the UK.

I've read today that SP will reach £94 mil on Sunday, which is the total attained by Avatar.
    Though it does seem that SP will remain in third place, as SWTFA is expected on the same day to pass both SP and Avatar.

I've read today that SP will reach £94 mil on Sunday, which is the total attained by Avatar.
    Though it does seem that SP will remain in third place, as SWTFA is expected on the same day to pass both SP and Avatar.

And that's ok. SW appeals to a broader audience and I'm ok with that too.

As long as Bond maintains his audience and recruits enough each generation I'm happy.

I'm not ready for SP to be a finale :(
    mcdonbb wrote: »

As long as Bond maintains his audience and recruits enough each generation I'm happy.

Yes, of course its good for Bond, when you think about it, having the 2nd and 3rd spots on the all-time list, is bleedin good, and we have only been denied positions 1&2, from a film from the biggest franchise of all.

:)
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Yes, of course its good for Bond, when you think about it, having the 2nd and 3rd spots on the all-time list, is bleedin good, and we have only been denied positions 1&2, from a film from the biggest franchise of all.

True ..and in America Bond beat MI in domestic gross so that's some conselation too.

A well reviewed MI couldn't beat a poorly reviewed Bond on MI's own turf.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Here's an interesting article from 'The Wrap' about the effect film reviews had on box office takings in 2015.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

But Daniel Craig also has the No.1 spot :)
  • Twelve films on the top 15 list, led by “Jurassic World” and “Avengers: The Age of Ultron,” were all hits with critics as well as moviegoers. For purposes of this study, we looked at the aggregated reviews on the web sites Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. We viewed a movie with scores under 50 percent positive as “poorly reviewed.” A score of between 50 and 54 was “so-so” and anything above 56 counted as good.
    Interesting, so SP is counted as good.
  • 864.8 million worldwide, 197.8 million in North America.
    Thanks, I was waiting for those numbers. Can it get to 870?
    864.8 million worldwide, 197.8 million in North America.

197m is more than I expected. Way to go SP.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Thanks, I was waiting for those numbers. Can it get to 870?

Yes, i'd be very surprised if it doesn't.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    What's the realistic final figures now? 880/200 global/US? I think it was at 850 last week globally, so 15m over the new year week is pretty solid.
    Still very successful film Spectre is. Craig should for sure do Bond 25 and try to go out on top and beat Skyfalls record.
    What's the realistic final figures now? 880/200 global/US? I think it was at 850 last week globally, so 15m over the new year week is pretty solid.

Yes, that's possible, at best i.e. $880 mil WW, and $200 mil N.America.

Unreal though to consider Star Wars budget is around 100 million less than spectres

Yes, that's possible, somewhere around $880+ mil WW, and $200 mil N.America.

Current Int. totals:-

UK $145.1 mil
    China $84.7 mil (final)
    Germany $70.3 mil
    France $38.8 mil
    Australia $24.9 mil

Note:-

This weekend SWTFA overtook SP at the UK boxoffice, and in turn SP should of overtaken Avatar, but we will have to wait until the official figures come in early next week.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 45
    Nice, so we crawled our way past Avatar in the UK.

Now for the painfully slow crawl to 200 in North America. Hopefully SP can pull in at least 200K daily starting Monday, although that may be unlikely since it couldn't manage 150K today.

200m still possible but it's going to be a painful 2-3 weeks. Hopefully The Revenant doesn't push it out of too many theaters.
  • I would say 199 million in North America and about 875 million worldwide.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Unreal though to consider Star Wars budget is around 100 million less than spectres
    Yep.

Now for the painfully slow crawl to 200 in North America. Hopefully SP can pull in at least 200K daily starting Monday, although that may be unlikely since it couldn't manage 150K today.

200m still possible but it's going to be a painful 2-3 weeks. Hopefully The Revenant doesn't push it out of too many theaters.

SP is still doing reasonable business in N.America.
    As long as the film manages not to lose too many theaters during January, then it has a chance of reaching $200 mil.

• mepal1 wrote: »

SP is still doing reasonable business in N.America.
    As long as the film manages not to lose too many theaters during January, then it has a chance of reaching $200 mil.

It should do. It's still getting a higher per screen average than movies that opened after it like In the heart of the sea, The Night Before, and Krampus, so it'll probably stick around another week or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

On the worldwide all time chart, it looks like there's still a little gas in the tank, I thought it was pretty much over but it could get to No.40, maybe.