SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited December 2015 Posts: 709
    smitty wrote: »
    SP is still making money this week in North America: 350k on Monday, for a 194.25 cume, a 200 million BO is still possible.

True. It's a shame it didn't open a week or two sooner. It would have very likely made it past 200m, now it is doable, but not easy. Getting it's theaters soaked up by SW was bad enough but 5 more films are opening Christmas Day and they will take another big bite out of the theater counts of all the films like SP that have been out a while. Christmas and New Years will help if there are enough theaters left. Funny how 200m sounds lots batter than 198m. The opening date was an issue in the leaked emails that the suits at Sony were right about.

Sony won't pass up the opportunity to have a $200 million grossing movie! They'll make sure its kept around in second run theaters long enough to cross the finish line. Other than Hotel Transylvania 2, they've had a very weak year with a lot of flat out bombs - Pixels, Chappie, Aloha, etc.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    SP is still making money this week in North America: 350k on Monday, for a 194.25 cume, a 200 million BO is still possible.

True. It's a shame it didn't open a week or two sooner. It would have very likely made it past 200m, now it is doable, but not easy. Getting it's theaters soaked up by SW was bad enough but 5 more films are opening Christmas Day and they will take another big bite out of the theater counts of all the films like SP that have been out a while. Christmas and New Years will help if there are enough theaters left. Funny how 200m sounds lots batter than 198m. The opening date was an issue in the leaked emails that the suits at Sony were right about.

Sony won't pass up the opportunity to have a $200 million grossing movie! They'll make sure its kept around in second run theaters long enough to cross the finish line. Other than Hotel Transylvania 2, they've had a very weak year with a lot of flat out bombs - Pixels, Chappie, Aloha, etc.

I don't know if they still do this nowadays (in the N.American market), but i noticed with Bond films in the past (recent Bond films that is), is that just before the film was due to finish its run,maybe a couple of weeks before it finished, the theater count would increase for at least one week, to squeeze out as many extra dollars as they could.

• SPECTRE under $1m of catching Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation's $195 million in the US-Canada:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=bond24.htm
    It will at least do that much.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 615
    SP only has to earn an additional $800,000 to knock ROGUE NATION out of the Top 10 Films in North America for 2015.

That should be easily accomplished, even with the reduced theater count.

Other new films are being released here before January 1st (and will count in the U.S. totals for 2015 well into the new year), but there is no way that JOY, THE REVENANT or THE HATEFUL EIGHT is going to earn $196 Million.
  • I think SP will make no less than 198 million and it has a good chance to get 200 million.
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    I don't know if they still do this nowadays (in the N.American market), but i noticed with Bond films in the past (recent Bond films that is), is that just before the film was due to finish its run,maybe a couple of weeks before it finished, the theater count would increase for at least one week, to squeeze out as many extra dollars as they could.

If things have not changed recently, the percentage the studio earns on the ticket prices go down with time (hence all the frontloading marketing...). I think that in the end, when the share of studio is at the lowest, and then the theaters' share is at the highest, more and more are interested to have it "almost for free" before it stops ?

IIRC Spielberg and Lucas said once maybe in the future we would have to deal with ticket prices as high as $50 for the first week, if the studios continue the way they do.

Spectre BO N.America update:- Tue 22nd

$417,599 up 20% running total now $194,674,955

SWTFA in comparison was down 7% on Tue, from Mon

It will be interesting to see how many theaters SP will hold onto this weekend, as there are quite a few new releases.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 45
    Yea I think the 200m now is basically entirely dependent on Christmas weekend, and MAYBE New Years weekend for SP. It's probably a good thing Christmas and New Years are Fridays this year, but it will really depend on how many theaters keep SP around.

There's still a few hundred theaters with movies like the Martian, so it'll definitely stay around a bit, but to cross 200 we will need as many as possible to keep it playing.

Fingers crossed though as I will be sorely disappointed if it ends with something like 198. Already disappointed enough it couldn't break a billion, with China being so much larger than it was back in SF days. I never expected SP to break SF's 1.1 bill, but with China being so much larger, I at least expected it to creep past 1 bill.
    Yea I think the 200m now is basically entirely dependent on Christmas weekend, and MAYBE New Years weekend for SP. It's probably a good thing Christmas and New Years are Fridays this year, but it will really depend on how many theaters keep SP around.

There's still a few hundred theaters with movies like the Martian, so it'll definitely stay around a bit, but to cross 200 we will need as many as possible to keep it playing.

Fingers crossed though as I will be sorely disappointed if it ends with something like 198. Already disappointed enough it couldn't break a billion, with China being so much larger than it was back in SF days. I never expected SP to break SF's 1.1 bill, but with China being so much larger, I at least expected it to creep past 1 bill.

I agree......SP in China was a disappointment, the film had a big marketing push prior to the opening weekend, but the reviews were so-so, and after the first week the film dropped like a lead balloon in that market. Chinese film goers really didn't take to the film, as i had understood from reading comments from Chinese cinema goers on film forums.

• RC7RC7
    IIRC Spielberg and Lucas said once maybe in the future we would have to deal with ticket prices as high as $50 for the first week, if the studios continue the way they do.

It's not far off that in central London. You're looking at £25 for IMAX.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    SP only has to earn an additional $800,000 to knock ROGUE NATION out of the Top 10 Films in North America for 2015.

Other new films are being released here before January 1st (and will count in the U.S. totals for 2015 well into the new year), but there is no way that JOY, THE REVENANT or THE HATEFUL EIGHT is going to earn $196 Million.

I don't think easy but I really hope SP does pass RN in North America.
    mcdonbb wrote: »

It's a cert that SP will pass MI-RN in 2 days time.

:)

It probably passed it on Dec. 23 in the U.S. and Canada, but we won't know officially until Dec. 24.

mepal1 wrote: »

Yay!! When SP does I'm doing a sofa jump!!

Too bad it did not do that in quality, stunts and action.

SaintMark wrote: »

But Bond will always be my spy regardless.
    Spectre is again taking a massive theater loss this weekend, and over the Xmas period will be playing at only 372 theater's from Dec 25th.

Some good news though, it looks like that on Weds (if estimates turn out to be true) that SP passed MI-RN's gross in N.America.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

We get it, you don't like it. Really, we get it. Some people clearly have no respect for dead horses around here.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

We get it, you don't like it. Really, we get it. Some people clearly have no respect for dead horses around here.

Amen
    Spectre is again taking a massive theater loss this weekend, and over the Xmas period will be playing at only 372 theater's from Dec 25th.

Some good news though, it looks like that on Weds (if estimates turn out to be true) that SP passed MI-RN's gross in N.America.

For those unfamiliar with the estimate (at least as it's listed on Box Office Mojo):

SPECTRE: $195,095,955

M:I Rogue Nation: $195,042,377

edited December 2015 Posts: 4,116

For those unfamiliar with the estimate (at least as it's listed on Box Office Mojo):

SPECTRE: $195,095,955

M:I Rogue Nation: $195,042,377

<:-P <:-P ..yay!!!

Bummer about theatre count but that's ok. Had an impressive run.

I didn't know until last night that SP was still showing locally for me. Doubt is today though ..could have had one last viewing :(

Best thing is maybe we won't be so hyper over reaching the stratosphere and just enjoy our film come B25.
  • On Christmas Day, I believe Spectre passed QOS' adjusted US gross, so its now no longer the lowest performing DC movie in the US :-S

Next on the list is Goldeneye at an adjusted total of $203 million. It may or may not beat that. We may see Spectre get more theaters in a couple of weeks as it goes into second run cinemas. An interesting comparison here is, er, Cinderella, which was in the same boat as just slowing down at $195 million; Disney gave it a theater boost so it would nudge the $200 mark.
    I don't know ...lots of competition for those theatres. I'm happy with whatever SP can get from here on.

I think the home release for SP is going to be very good.
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $196,249,955 23.1%
    + Foreign: $653,900,000 76.9%
    = Worldwide: $850,149,955
    My prediction of 870 and 202 (or was it 205?) will be about right.
    Not what it could have been but a proud result nevertheless, even more so as 2D. Bravo!
    Now back after the xmas hol, with a headache, so just catching up with the news in the film world.

Good to see SP at some $850 mil worldwide, as its quite a bit better than i expected.

Yes, the theater count for SP in N.America is not helping the film, but despite the loss of theaters, the film is averaging pretty decent money where it is playing, and is actually grossing more money per theater, than several films above it in the box office chart.
    Hopefully, this will help the film to retain a decent theater count, in its final weeks playing.

I initially estimated that the film would gross somewhere around $875 mil worldwide, and that is looking very likely now. :)
  • Bernie99 wrote: »
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $196,249,955 23.1%
    + Foreign: $653,900,000 76.9%
    = Worldwide: $850,149,955

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films

SPECTRE now the 45th highest grossing film of all time, and will pass Inside Out in a couple of days. Don't know if it'll go much further than that.
    SP grossed $5.6mil overseas on its 9th weekend.

Current running totals:-

UK :- $143.8 mil
    China :- $84.7 mil (final)
    Germany :- $67.8 mil
    France :- $37.4 mil
    Australia :- $24.2 mil

Incidently, it looks like SP will be the highest grossing film in Europe 2015, total there is currently on $395 mil.