Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Sam Smith thinks Bond keeps a diary.

Sam Mendes thinks Blofeld and Bond knew each other when they were kids.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 38
    “They told me the title of the film, and I immediately said I can’t write a song called ‘Spectre’” ....

Or anything else, apparently.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For the sake of originality, does anyone here have anything of actual substance, praise or not to say about this song? Parading in here just to take low blows isn't the best investment of your time or post count, in case you weren't aware. Is being hateful in now or something?

I've seen this from a lot of members lately. These individuals in question will go into threads completely unrelated to SP to slam it out of nowhere. For example:

"Man, the new Star Wars was amazing! Day and night compared to that god-awful Spectre monstrosity. Barf."

What people think they get out of this is beyond me, especially when they look like an absolute imbecile to everyone else.
    For the sake of originality, does anyone here have anything of actual substance, praise or not to say about this song? Parading in here just to take low blows isn't the best investment of your time or post count, in case you weren't aware. Is being hateful in now or something?

I've seen this from a lot of members lately. These individuals in question will go into threads completely unrelated to SP to slam it out of nowhere. For example:

"Man, the new Star Wars was amazing! Day and night compared to that god-awful Spectre monstrosity. Barf."

What people think they get out of this is beyond me, especially when they look like an absolute imbecile to everyone else.

+1

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shardlake wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    I don't care what people say, WOTW is still my favourite song ever.
    @TheWizardOfIce has been using the term 'risible' in the Thunderball thread to berate fans of that film, of which I am one, and the term came to mind after reading of your favourite all time song.

I know it's said that music is subjective but when someone says this I just think they have no taste at all or they are on a big wind up to see how far it will go, risible pretty much says it all though.

I should start charging you all £1 every time you use 'risible'.

Although in this instance 'deranged' is more apposite I feel!

To be fair I think WOTW is half decent - and certainly in comparison with the rest of the lacklustre score it's positively awesome; Newman's use of WOTW is the standout track and it's a shame he didn't use it more.

My main problem is it doesn't build to anything. The start with the strings is quite Barryesque and the verse is fine but just as it seems to be going somwhere the chorus kills it stone dead.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,437
    M_Balje wrote: »

Update: The ranks are confirmd from 5! numbers who stay in list:

Duran Duran - A View To Kill. Last year the song don't stay in list and song return in list now on number 1867.

Sam Smith - Writing's On The Wall 1390. Two of his others songs stay in list too.

Paul McCartney and Wings (as Wings in list) - Live and Let Die. Number 679. In 2014 the song stay 1089 numbers lower on number 1768.

Adele - Skyfall 36 (In 2014: 93) http://www.nporadio2.nl/song/38856/skyfall
    In 2015 Skyfall stay in list on number 93 and moved 57 places up to number 36. Only 3 others songs from her stay higher in list then Skyfall and totaly 11 of her songs are in list. ''Hello'' stay on number 23.

Hotel California i already said it be confirmd song stay on number 3 and in 2014 this was number 2.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

It appears I like it more than most but I struggle to see why people think it is worse than AWTD, DAD, TND, TLD, ATH, TMWTGG, etc. It is not the worst title song by a long shot.

It is one of the better aspects of SPECTRE for me.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    echo wrote: »

It appears I like it more than most but I struggle to see why people think it is worse than AWTD, DAD, TND, TLD, ATH, TMWTGG, etc. It is not the worst title song by a long shot.

Exactly.
    Merry Christmas from Radiohead:
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Ouch, what the hell was that? If this song was in competition with WOTW then I am mightily relieved that we were spared this thing.
    Now set to the title sequence:
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Makes me like Sam Smith's song even more. ;)
    Also, I wonder if they read the script.....what I like about WOTW is how it really is written for not just any film called SPECTRE or whatever but this particular one. While from first listen to Radiohead's....they came up with something just around the title. Which tbh is alright given a lot of previous Bond songs did that.

Big thing to keep in mind - it seems like they finished the track in their own time after being rejected - Yorke says in the tweets/description it "became something of [their] own". If EON went through with it I wonder how different it would've sounded compared to this effort.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Lyrically it's not that good, but I much prefer Yorke's voice to Smith's. By far.

The tune is not bad either. There is a Bondian flair here and with a little more work it could have been a suitable tune. My understanding is Craig wanted them. I'm not sure who went with Smith, but I suspect it was Mendes. Damn shame when this was waiting in the wings.
  • Whoa, now this is a pleasant surprise!

As @antovolk has pointed out, I'm sure the final version would have been more "Bondified" had Radiohead been selected, same way we have both the film cut of "You Know My Name" beefed up with Bondian orchestra and the straight rock version.

One thing I can say for certain: Radiohead's song, with its dark, melancholy mood and Yorke's vocals refreshingly free of melodrama, suits Kleinman's titles perfectly. The end in particular, starting from where the skeleton hands curl away from the table and Yorke sings, "Spectre has come for me," is simply perfection. The way the music swells when the tentacles unfold behind Waltz, then again as we move into the fragmented field of eyes, and again as Bond steps forward and dissolves into the eye with the iris full of swarming tentacles...and the way the music fades out on the ring in Bond's hand...it's all just so wonderfully spooky.

C'est la vie and all that...I'm just glad Radiohead recorded the song and released it for us to hear.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The end in particular, starting from where the skeleton hands curl away from the table and Yorke sings, "Spectre has come for me," is simply perfection. The way the music swells when the tentacles unfold behind Waltz, then again as we move into the fragmented field of eyes, and again as Bond steps forward and dissolves into the eye with the iris full of swarming tentacles...and the way the music fades out on the ring in Bond's hand...it's all just so wonderfully spooky.

C'est la vie and all that...I'm just glad Radiohead recorded the song and released it for us to hear.
    Agreed. I love the ending. It sort of sounds Newman'esque - with that sort of reverberating echo that Newman uses throughout the SP score during quieter scenes.

This tune is growing on me as a standalone track. I like it a lot actually. I'm glad they released this for us today. Great present.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    antovolk wrote: »
    Merry Christmas from Radiohead:
    Perhaps @PanchitoPistoles was right after all.
  • RC7RC7
    As I suspected when they were a potential, a godawful dirge. Whining, insipid drivel. Thank The Lord they didn't go with this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Good heavens, what the hell was that, exactly?

I've never been a fan of Radiohead, and this just cements it. I shouldn't have to pull up the lyrics to a song as I listen to it not just to try and understand it but also to attempt to discern what words are trying to be conveyed by moans and groans. It's empty, pretentious noise and nothing more.

And people have the audacity to call Smith's effort a failure. Just look at what we could have had. Such a blessing.
    Agreed it's an awful dirge of a song. :(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Radiohead's song was all over the place. That felt cobbled together in 20 minutes. At least WOTW had a consistant melody. My only problem's with WOTW was Smith's voice, the orchestration of the song was great though.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm one who has the "audacity" to call Smith's effort, on many levels, a failure. The poor quality of Radiohead's song doesn't change how I feel about Writings on the Wall.
    I think in some ways it shows how had it is to pick a theme song for Bond,
    As few seem to be universally liked. One man's meat is another man's
    poison I guess. ;)
    talos7 wrote: »
    I'm one who has the "audacity" to call Smith's effort, on many levels, a failure. The poor quality of Radiohead's song doesn't change how I feel about Writings on the Wall.

Absolutely, but like I said, this is what we could have gotten if Smith's song was foregone. That frightens me.
  • RC7RC7

Absolutely, but like I said, this is what we could have gotten if Smith's song was foregone. That frightens me.

Yeah, it's a piece of shit. Anyone who thinks it trumps Smith's tune, however bad they believe that to be, should be ashamed.
  • Interesting song that actually works well with the titles but obviously a step too far for Eon and the studio music department. Considerable doubt about the song's potential as a hit was probably a factor.
  • RC7RC7
    Interesting song that actually works well with the titles but obviously a step too far for Eon and the studio music department. Considerable doubt about the song's potential as a hit was probably a factor.

There's some semblance of melody at points, but if I were to not beat around the bush it's just music for wankers.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I know I'm a broken record on this, no pun intended, but ditch the falsetto element and it would be much more suitable; it just wrecks the song for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I know I'm a broken record on this, no pun intended, but ditch the falsetto element and it would be much more suitable; it just wrecks the song for me.

Agreed.