Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

I think WOTW and SP are both flawed but taken as a whole, it's an entertaining entry in the series. Given the time, talent and money available, yes it could and should have been even better. But on balance it's a fairly solid Bond film.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    The song was nowhere the hit that they were banking on, so it got to no. in the UK big deal.

The reasons for choosing haven't paid off and this song is one of the most divisive themes in the history of Bond.

I seriously hope they don't choose another flavour of the moment artist for the job, Adele had a smash hit album and a huge audience and it was anticipated like no other song that year.

WOTW has not done even a tenth of that, it's practically disappeared as quick as it appeared.

Take the strings away and all you've got is a Sam Smith song nothing more, nothing special to make it stand out, this song will look pretty poor in the company of the other themes in future compilations in years to come.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The falsetto makes it unbearable; take that away and it would have been passable but not exceptional.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The song was nowhere the hit that they were banking on, so it got to no. in the UK big deal.

The reasons for choosing haven't paid off and this song is one of the most divisive themes in the history of Bond.

I seriously hope they don't choose another flavour of the moment artist for the job, Adele had a smash hit album and a huge audience and it was anticipated like no other song that year.

WOTW has not done even a tenth of that, it's practically disappeared as quick as it appeared.

Take the strings away and all you've got is a Sam Smith song nothing more, nothing special to make it stand out, this song will look pretty poor in the company of the other themes in future compilations in years to come.

Amusing how Wotw is judged by it being less of a hit than SF, which everybody knew would be a bloody big hurdle. But compared with YKMN it is a massive hit. But then again some fanboys will always be hindered by their own musical taste to see how the job is supposed to done. Smith delivered in a new song that is unlike anything else we had before.
    The road to rock like songs is so bloody American and rarely leads to a decent title song to begin with. Glad EON stuck to their UK roots.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    .I seriously hope they don't choose another flavour of the moment artist for the job

Eon always does this.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They'll do a better job with the song next time. EON always focuses when they have to. I think we're done with sap for some time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Enter Michael Bublé on stage right...
  • bondjames wrote: »
    They'll do a better job with the song next time. EON always focuses when they have to. I think we're done with sap for some time.

This is not sure at all.

echo wrote: »
    .I seriously hope they don't choose another flavour of the moment artist for the job

Eon always does this.

This is rubbish apart from Adele, previously everyone before was established and in the game for years, Smith is the first time in ages this as happened.

Of course Chris Cornell and Jack White were flavour of the moment artists???

Even Adele had a good few years form before being chosen so that statement makes no sense

Turner, Crowe, Garbage and Madonna established and well past being any kind of flavours.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »

You mean 'EON always focuses after they've f**ked up'?

Why can't they learn to focus before they f**k up?

It really shouldn't have been that hard at the production stage for someone to say 'This car jump is too awesome to have a slide whistle ruin it, the invisible car is the shittest idea in history only on a par with the tsunami sequence, SPs script really needs some more work.'

Why can we see these things after one viewing but at no point does anyone involved in production realise they are bullshit until after the event?

edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883

It really shouldn't have been that hard at the production stage for someone to say 'This car jump is too awesome to have a slide whistle ruin it, the invisible car is the shittest idea in history only on a par with the tsunami sequence, SPs script really needs some more work.'

Why can we see these things after one viewing but at no point does anyone involved in production realise they are bullshit until after the event?

I think they need a subsection of us critical ones to provide input during production. As with any successful endeavour, it's likely that some are afraid to speak truth to power, and it's also possible that there are too many yes men / women on staff.

With SP, I think it was inevitable that we would get the product that we got, just because of SF's huge success. Everyone just gets ahead of themselves and I'm sure half of them didn't have a clue what really worked and what didn't work with that film. All they knew is it connected in a way that blew everyone's socks off. I'm quite certain that most attributed that to Sam Mendes's vision........and here we are.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Post of the year.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 11,425

I think they need a subsection of us critical ones to provide input during production. As with any successful endeavour, it's likely that some are afraid to speak truth to power, and it's also possible that there are too many yes men / women on staff.

With SP, I think it was inevitable that we would get the product that we got, just because of SF's huge success. Everyone just gets ahead of themselves and I'm sure half of them didn't have a clue what really worked and what didn't work with that film. All they knew is it connected in a way that blew everyone's socks off. I'm quite certain that most attributed that to Sam Mendes's vision........and here we are.

Sam thought SF was popular because of the DB5...

I don't hate WOTW but it is totally forgettable. Even now, having heard it many times I find I almost impossible to recall the 'tune'.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,416
    Dutch charts update: Sam Smith ''Writing's On The Wall'' stay in the Radio 2 yearly Top 2000 list of 2015!.

http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/sam-smith/writings-on-the-wall
    http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/adele/skyfall
    http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/duran-duran/a-view-to-a-kill
    http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/eagles/hotel-california (Confirmd be number 3 this year)

People must vote to get song in the list and don't vote enough for Daniel Craigs first two movies as always, but this year also no place for Brosnan's final movie song.

http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/alicia-keys/another-way-to-die
    http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/chris-cornell/you-know-my-name
    http://www.staatieindetop2000.nl/madonna/die-another-day
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote: »

Sam thought SF was popular because of the DB5...

I don't hate WOTW but it is totally forgettable. Even now, having heard it many times I find I almost impossible to recall the 'tune'.

Yes, and the billion plus box office intake, massive worldwide critical acclaim and Oscar nominations/wins were of no consequence at all. Just cherries on top of the DB5 cake.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Is the song / score eligible for a Grammy nomination this year? If so, they were just released and they did not get one.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How odd. It is definitely terrible enough to deserve a grammy.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Is the song / score eligible for a Grammy nomination this year? If so, they were just released and they did not get one.
    How odd. It is definitely terrible enough to deserve a grammy.

Ah! Found the answer to my own question:

The eligibility period for the 58th Annual Grammy Awards is October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2015.

'Writings on the Wall' has received a Golden Globe Award nomination for 'Best Original Song – Motion Picture'.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    What was the title song of SP again...? See, I've forgotten already /:)

Get a proper tune for the next one that will actually ADD some value to the film, please.
    Woohoo, Globe nomination, congratz Sam Smith
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    'Writings on the Wall' has received a Golden Globe Award nomination for 'Best Original Song – Motion Picture'.

Hoping this can boost the box office a bit, eh

:)
    AceHole wrote: »
    What was the title song of SP again...? See, I've forgotten already /:)

Get a proper tune for the next one that will actually ADD some value to the film, please.

All with you on this one.

Oh and one more thing Die Another Day was also nomited for Best Original Song - Motion Picture by the Golden Globes, hm...
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Oh and one more thing Die Another Day was also nomited for Best Original Song - Motion Picture by the Golden Globes, hm...
    This says it all really...
    I'll be very surprised if Wailings On The Wall gets an Oscar nom let alone win.

This song was something that BB & SM thought would be a great plus to the film like Adele's theme but how wrong could they be, the amount of reviews I've read where the song is singled out as being terrible I've lost count.

Sam Smith was completely wrong, I hope they've learnt their lesson.

No. 1 in the UK, the big deal over that by some, it's just laughable now that was used as some kind of defense for this dreadful effort.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I don't care what people say, WOTW is still my favourite song ever.
    Don't ever invite me round for a listen to your music collection.
    Don't ever invite me round for a listen to your music collection.

:D

Walecs wrote: »
    I don't care what people say, WOTW is still my favourite song ever.
    @TheWizardOfIce has been using the term 'risible' in the Thunderball thread to berate fans of that film, of which I am one, and the term came to mind after reading of your favourite all time song.