Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• JNOJNO Finland
    It worked better with the titles but it still isn´t a very good Bond theme. It just isn´t.

Hopefully next time we´ll get some classic Bond stuff instead of a weak love song made by Mickey Mouse.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 205
    Knowing what Spectre turned out to be, it's all the more baffling why Writing's On The Wall was chosen to be the theme tune to THIS movie in particular. There was a video somewhere of Sam Mendes discussing how it was important that a song reflected the tone of the movie and how it needed to fit in. WOTW is a fairly slow, somber almost sad and melanholic tune, NONE of which SPECTRE turned out to be. It sets a completely wrong mood.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    JNO wrote: »
    It worked better with the titles but it still isn´t a very good Bond theme. It just isn´t.

Hopefully next time we´ll get some classic Bond stuff instead of a weak love song made by Mickey Mouse.

Amen to that.
    Good point, those fans supporting the song when it was released defended it and said that we could only really judge it once we had seen the film. Well, I am just baffled as how it fits and those who were supporting it have gone a little quiet. How many extra tickets did it help sell at the box office? Not many

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2015 Posts: 6,786
    My least favourite is either this one or Another Way to Die. Poor Daniel Craig, it's not been the greatest era for title songs. Only Skyfall gave me goosebumps.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    patb wrote: »
    Good point, those fans supporting the song when it was released defended it and said that we could only really judge it once we had seen the film. Well, I am just baffled as how it fits and those who were supporting it have gone a little quiet. How many extra tickets did it help sell at the box office? Not many

WOTW works fantastically on the titles, Kleinman outdid himself!
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Haven't been on this thread for a while. I thought the song was rather nice over the titles. I'm sure a lot of the Bond songs were love songs and maybe didn't fit the tone of the film. Then again I don't dig too deep on these matters.

Addressing your point I have highlighted I think it's fair to say that people who don't like a Bond film, or song, or actor tend to shout louder than people who do like them. Or at least repeat their views ad infinitum until everyone simply goes away.
    Not aimed at you @patb, as I say I haven't visited this thread, but that's usually what I find with these matters.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    NicNac wrote: »

Haven't been on this thread for a while. I thought the song was rather nice over the titles. I'm sure a lot of the Bond songs were love songs and maybe didn't fit the tone of the film. Then again I don't dig too deep on these matters.

Addressing your point I have highlighted I think it's fair to say that people who don't like a Bond film, or song, or actor tend to shout louder than people who do like them. Or at least repeat their views ad infinitum until everyone simply goes away.
    Not aimed at you @patb, as I say I haven't visited this thread, but that's usually what I find with these matters.

I actually see it a little differently @NicNac. If someone likes something, it's normally an 'emotional' like. That's harder to justify intellectually. Those who dislike something, normally have more rationally & justifiably solid viewpoints because they are not clouded by emotion (very few people here really 'hate' on something Bond.....since we are all fans in one way shape or form here after all), at least imho.

I've seen that in the SF threads, in the Brosnan and Moore threads, and now with SP.

I've also seen it despite what side of the fence I happen to fall on, ..... emotionally.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Knowing what Spectre turned out to be, it's all the more baffling why Writing's On The Wall was chosen to be the theme tune to THIS movie in particular. There was a video somewhere of Sam Mendes discussing how it was important that a song reflected the tone of the movie and how it needed to fit in. WOTW is a fairly slow, somber almost sad and melanholic tune, NONE of which SPECTRE turned out to be. It sets a completely wrong mood.

Yes this puzzled me as well. I can only surmise that Mendes ended up editing the film in such a way that it wasn't nearly as somber and foreboding as he intended it to be.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It is an emo song, Bond should wear a Matrix coat and a top hat if this is a reflection of him.

Jiminy Cricket, it really is awful, but agree that it somehow works with the beautiful title sequence.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

I actually see it a little differently @NicNac. If someone likes something, it's normally an 'emotional' like. That's harder to justify intellectually. Those who dislike something, normally have more justifiably solid viewpoints because they are not clouded by emotion (very few people here really 'hate' on something Bond.....since we are all fans in one way shape or form here after all), at least imho.

I've seen that in the SF threads, and now with SP.

I've seen it despite what side of the fence I happen to fall on, ..... emotionally.

You could be right, because if someone agrees with me I don't feel the need to reply or take it further. If someone is passionately against a song or film I tend to want to defend it, and I take more interest. And as you say, they have a more lucid argument to offer. Having said that I found in the SF thread that some of the negative points were hammered at us over and over for months by the same 2 or 3 people, to an extent that it drove me to the point of resigning. Luckily Moneypenny changed my letter. ;)
    I saw a facebook comment saying that the song is actually Bond singing to Swann...that he wants to feel love after everything that happened in the past Craig movies..
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Heard the song come on in HMV after a viewing of movie. Help!Where's Blofeld's machine? Someone stick needles in my ears!
    This is too much %-(
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    I'll give it to them for trying something new... never would I've guessed they'd go full musical mode, just as I never thought they'd go electro in DAD. I just wish these experiments turned out well...

I guess B25 will have a tropical house theme...
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited November 2015 Posts: 191
    [double post]
    I fixed SPECTRE's title song:

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Yeah, totally fitting to the movie [/sarcasm]
    I thought the song and titles worked pretty well. I put it above TND, TWINE, DAD and QOS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Heard it for the third time last night during my second viewing (only listened to it once outside of the film) and I've loved it each and every time.
    Walecs wrote: »

How is it not?

"Black ocean, cold and dark
    I am the hungry shark, fast and merciless
    But the only girl that could talk to him just couldn't swim
    Tell me what's worse than this"

"I've seen your best and worst
    And at your worst, you're still the best
    But at my best, I am the worst
    It's a curse"

"I can't fucking breathe, much less believe the truth
    I pick up a gun, aim for the sun, and shoot
    Better days, so unafraid in my youth
    I can't breathe or believe the truth"
  • WOTW is disappointing. And I noticed today a news article reporting that Adele just had her biggest sales weekend ever. I liked Skyfall. But even if you didn't, there is the difference.
    Its Kleinmans titles that save it. Not very listenable outside of that! But then again, neither is Adeles song. YKMN is still Craigs best theme!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Its Kleinmans titles that save it. Not very listenable outside of that! But then again, neither is Adeles song. YKMN is still Craigs best theme!

Totally agree. The David Arnold factor once again.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

How is it not?

It's a curse"

How deep. Did they ask Tennyson to write the lyrics?
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »

How is it not?

It's a curse"

How deep. Did they ask Tennyson to write the lyrics?

Well I enjoy it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think WoTW is more hummable, and memorable, than SF.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,181
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ag8MYbzoCFw#t=140

Think I found Sam Smith's inspiration for WOTW. Listen at about 2:25(for about 30 seconds or as long as you can handle before it drives you insane! It even has a bit of falsetto in there for good measure!) ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    My goodness, you're right :))
    Sam Smith delivered a track full of haunting grace and lonely romance and together with the title sequence it tells you everything the film was about. A doomed romance a surprising retirement and the return of a brother who knew a little cuckoo.
    I also think that Sam Smith delivered, it is SPECTRE itself that did not deliver as well.