Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2015 Posts: 28,694
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @Creasy47 I've started watching 'True Detective', just finished the first 3 episodes. Holy. F***ing. Sh**. What a show, what a friggen show. Solid story, fantastic dialogue, and Woody Harrelson/Matthew McGonaghey are giving performances that the world sees once in a lifetime. Sadly I have to continue tomorrow, otherwise I'd binge watch the rest of the season tonight. My heart is pounding at 300 beats per minute. How on earth will anyone make a show better than this?

@DaltonCraig007, "Then like a lot of dreams, there's a monster at the end of it."

The last five minutes of "The Locked Room" are by far one of my favorite moments of writing and acting I have ever seen. Each time I see it my mind is blown away by Rust and his nihilism. @Creasy47 is right; you're in for one hell of a ride. THIS is storytelling right here.

When you're done watching it the first time through, @DaltonCraig007, we can both point you to some brilliant articles that discuss some of the big themes of the show that will open your mind up to even more of what is going on beneath the surface. It's such a deep, deep show and every time you watch it you'll understand things more or notice something you hadn't previously. I love it.

We've also got a thread here to discuss the show as well:

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/8660/true-detective-2014-present/p1

Happy journeys, my friend! :)
  • Arrow season 4
    Flash season 2

Jessica Jones a few episodes intriguing show, like it so far.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Episodes 3 & 4 of Doctor Who: The Claws Of Axos. This story could put the viewer off spaghetti bolognaise for a while.

3rd Doctor Story Ranking:
    1. Inferno
    2. Doctor Who And The Silurians
    3. The Mind Of Evil
    4. Terror Of The Autons
    5. Spearhead From Space
    6. The Ambassadors Of Death
    ***7. The Claws Of Axos***
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just finished 'True Detective' season 1. This has to be one of the best seasons of any show I have ever seen. I have a big hole inside me knowing I won't see anymore of Marty and Cohle. Harrelson and McGonaghey gave absolutely fantastic performances, and the story itself was friggen awesome. The highlight of it, if I can't just pick the entirety of the season, has to be the ending of episode 4: the long single-shot sequence of the assault, my jaw dropped on the floor. One of the most fantastic sequence I've witnessed in a TV series. I am very much interested in those articles, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 .

I am going to start season 2 tonight!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just finished 'True Detective' season 1. This has to be one of the best seasons of any show I have ever seen. I have a big hole inside me knowing I won't see anymore of Marty and Cohle. Harrelson and McGonaghey gave absolutely fantastic performances, and the story itself was friggen awesome. The highlight of it, if I can't just pick the entirety of the season, has to be the ending of episode 4: the long single-shot sequence of the assault, my jaw dropped on the floor. One of the most fantastic sequence I've witnessed in a TV series. I am very much interested in those articles, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 .

I am going to start season 2 tonight!

I'm pleased that you loved it just as much as we did, @DaltonCraig007! I'll PM you soon with some articles. I have yet to see True Detective season 2, so this time you'll have the jump on me!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited November 2015 Posts: 15,690
    First 3 episodes of season 2 of 'True Detective' completed. This 2nd season is very, very different from the first season. If season 1 was the CR of the show, season 2 is very much like QOS - a follow-up that is going to be highly divisive amongst viewers/fans. I really like the L.A. settings, it feels like a Michael Mann film. The story is interesting so far, just not as good as season 1. The main complaint I have is that the characters are quite disappointing: I have a hard time buying Vince Vaughn as a tough guy, no matter how hard he tries to sell it, and Taylor Kitsch is, as always, bland. However, there is one actor who delivers a stunning performance: Colin Farrell. This is one of his best roles, he is highly entertaining here.
  • meredith44meredith44 the great unknown
    I'm looking forward to checking True Detective out sometime soon.

I have watched the first episode of Utopia, the cancelled BBC show. So far so good. It is weird, I must admit, but it left me intrigued. The plot revolves around vaccines and pharmaceutical substances, which is particularly interesting to me (my field, I study Higher Level Chemistry in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme). However it is not easy watching, there is a very drastic scene (a bait for seekers of such entertainment?), which, compared to the tortures in CR and SP, makes them look like children's play. I just hope that there are not so many plots left unconcluded in the end of the 2nd season, and that the script work is still as brilliant.
    I am going to watch a bit of Blind spot and expidtion Unknown.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Coroner - via BBC iPlayer (it's on in the afternoons so don't get chance to see it). Cosy crime drama set in the fictitious Devon town of Lighthaven. Starring Claire Goose (Waking The Dead) and shot in and around where I live. Saw the crew on my way home from work and they were shooting an establishing shot of the Lighthaven museum, actually the Methodist Church, but the crew had placed their sign over the methodist one.
    Shot mainly in Hope Cove, Kingsbridge, Dartmouth, Kingswear, Salcombe and other local places of interest. Worth watching for Ms Goose and some lovely scenery.
    Episodes 3 & 4 of Doctor Who: The Claws Of Axos. This story could put the viewer off spaghetti bolognaise for a while.

1. Inferno
    3. The Mind Of Evil
    4. Terror Of The Autons
    5. Spearhead From Space
    6. The Ambassadors Of Death
    ***7. The Claws Of Axos***

Indeed. Saw it yesterday. Great stuff, as usual with Pertwee. Also saw "Heaven Sent" on saturday evening. Great performance by Capaldi. And started to catch up on "Arrow" with "Nanda Parbat (couldn't see it during my vacations, had to buy it off iTunes). Likd it, although I shouted : "oh ! Felicity !" at one point (you know wihich one if you've seen the episode). Have to admit that she could have done worse, though.

I just finished season 2 of 'True Detective'. The plot dies down drasticly in the middle part, only to gain momentum again in the very last episode. Colin Farrell was the only good point in the acting department. All in all I would say this 2nd season is very underwhelming compared to the 1st season. But, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I wouldn't suggest you to skip this season - it's not bad, it's just that the first season was such a magnificient achievement.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 28,694
    I just finished season 2 of 'True Detective'. The plot dies down drasticly in the middle part, only to gain momentum again in the very last episode. Colin Farrell was the only good point in the acting department. All in all I would say this 2nd season is very underwhelming compared to the 1st season. But, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I wouldn't suggest you to skip this season - it's not bad, it's just that the first season was such a magnificient achievement.

@DaltonCraig007, that's the general reaction I've seen expressed for season 2. With a season like the first, it is hard to beat the magic it presented. The actors all played off each other beautifully, Louisiana was a striking, ominous presence like I've never seen before and all the themes packed into the show, from cultic lore to nihilistic philosophy was mind blowing; really, season 2 could only sag in quality. I'll still definitely check it out, though; thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sometime tonight I'll send you some articles on True Detective's themes and some of Nic Pizzolatto's influences while writing the scripts. He's a fascinating guy. Searching his name on YouTube will net you some interesting interviews; he's quite sharp.
    Dr Who!!! Season finale this Saturday!!!! :-bd
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doctor Who: Colony In Space
    Episodes 2 & 3

The Walking Dead:
    Series 5, Epidode 8: Start To Finish
  • DCI Banks: Dry Bones That Dream .
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Doctor Who: Colony In Space
    Episodes 5 & 6

The 3rd Doctor is given (forced into) a brief vacation off Earth, by the timelords, in this, the penultimate, story of Pertwee's second series. It's not amazing, and it's not dire, it's.... ok.

1. Inferno
    3. The Mind Of Evil
    4. Terror Of The Autons
    ***5. Colony In Space***
    6. Spearhead From Space
    7. The Ambassadors Of Death
    8. The Claws Of Axos
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I have two eyes just for the purpose of watching tv shows, yet I seldom do.
    As the shows prepare for Winter Break, last ones I watched were Empire and Haven and I just started Season 2 of "Broadchurch" on Netflix.

Looks like there will be a great deal of Netflix watching the next few weeks.
    Doctor Who: The Daemons
    Episodes 3, 4 & 5

So much to mention. The Doctor creates a remote control for Bessie (long before Q would do the same for Bond's BMW), Jo nearly gets sacrificed, Sgt Benton gets knocked around, "Chap with the wings, 5 rounds rapid", the Master resurrects a deamon and most horrifying of all... Morris Dancers.

1. Inferno
    ***2.The Daemons***
    3. Doctor Who And The Silurians
    4. The Mind Of Evil
    5. Terror Of The Autons
    6. Colony In Space
    7. Spearhead From Space
    8. The Ambassadors Of Death
    9. The Claws Of Axos
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I've been watching Xena these past few months. I loved the series when I was a child. (Greek Gods and sword fighting!) I was concerned, as a cynical adult, whether it would hold up now. No need to worry. Fun, engaging and surprisingly moving. It fact I've enjoyed Xena so much I'm starting to worry over my sexuality. Although I'm comfortable being a lesbian if that is the case.
  • Right now I'm watching "The Strain" a vampire horror series on FX. Pretty enjoyable if you are into that sort of thing. Also, I recently watched a German TV series called "Deutschland 83". It's a spy Thriller set in 1980's Germany. I heavily recommend it!.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Finally got to watch an episode of Homeland. It caught me by surprise how exciting it actually was.
    I've started 'Orange is the New Black' tonight, I've watched the first 4 episodes. Very, very good show. So addictive. Stunning performances from the entire cast, and each episode leaves you wanting for more. I'll continue tomorrow. Took me a while to start this show because I thought it would be more oriented towards the female audience, but it is none of that. I recommend this show to everyone. Netflix shows keep impressing me all the time.
    Episodes 3, 4 & 5

So much to mention. The Doctor creates a remote control for Bessie (long before Q would do the same for Bond's BMW), Jo nearly gets sacrificed, Sgt Benton gets knocked around, "Chap with the wings, 5 rounds rapid", the Master resurrects a deamon and most horrifying of all... Morris Dancers.

1. Inferno
    ***2.The Daemons***
    4. The Mind Of Evil
    5. Terror Of The Autons
    6. Colony In Space
    7. Spearhead From Space
    9. The Claws Of Axos

I re-watched all the Jon Pertwee Dr Who's about a year ago, they were all pretty damn good stories, and i had, very good memories of them from when i watched them initially as a young lad.

Wasn't it Jon Pertwee who always used to come up with that same techno-babble line, in many of his stories, when trying to stop a disaster happening, when fiddling with some contraption, he would say.

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" :))
  • Finally got to watch an episode of Homeland. It caught me by surprise how exciting it actually was.

@Thunderfinger, It gets even more interesting with every episode. Stick with it and you'll probably be pleasantly satisfied with its thrills. I'm in the middle of S3 and I'm hooked!.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Cloud007 wrote: »
    Finally got to watch an episode of Homeland. It caught me by surprise how exciting it actually was.

@Thunderfinger, It gets even more interesting with every episode. Stick with it and you'll probably be pleasantly satisfied with its thrills. I'm in the middle of S3 and I'm hooked!.
    Homeland is genius imho. It gets a bit of a rebirth in S4, which is great as well. I love this show.
  • @bondjames. I'm with you, I love it as well. I know it's not the same type of show but for me it's as close as I have ever been to a worthy successor to 24.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed @Cloud007. 24 was my favourite and Homeland is the true successor. 24 was more plot driven (I thought) and action focused, while Homeland is more character based.

The role of Carrie Mathison fits Claire Danes like a glove, just like Jack Bauer fit Kiefer Sutherland. Brilliant writing in both shows (I think many of the 24 creative team are working on Homeland)
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Episodes 3, 4 & 5

1. Inferno
    ***2.The Daemons***
    4. The Mind Of Evil
    5. Terror Of The Autons
    6. Colony In Space
    7. Spearhead From Space
    9. The Claws Of Axos

I re-watched all the Jon Pertwee Dr Who's about a year ago, they were all pretty damn good stories, and i had, very good memories of them from when i watched them initially as a young lad.

Wasn't it Jon Pertwee who always used to come up with that same techno-babble line, in many of his stories, when trying to stop a disaster happening, when fiddling with some contraption, he would say.

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" :))

Yep, that's Pertwee. :D I believe it was put in once for techo babble, but Pertwee liked the line, so it was worked into other stories.
  • Couldn't agree with you more @bondjames, 24 is my all-time favorite actually. I have read some of the same writing staff from 24 are working in Homeland now, which makes sense considering the thrills and the intense storylines.

Carrie is perhaps the best female protagonist I have ever seen leading a TV series. She is incredibly flawed but at the same time, incredibly devoted to protecting her country and those she loves. At times that makes her shine the brightest and at times she becomes her own worst enemy. She's great really, the kind of daughter Jack Bauer actually deserved, haha.