Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

mepal1 wrote: »
    Doctor Who: The Daemons
    Episodes 3, 4 & 5

So much to mention. The Doctor creates a remote control for Bessie (long before Q would do the same for Bond's BMW), Jo nearly gets sacrificed, Sgt Benton gets knocked around, "Chap with the wings, 5 rounds rapid", the Master resurrects a deamon and most horrifying of all... Morris Dancers.

3rd Doctor Story Ranking:
    1. Inferno
    ***2.The Daemons***
    3. Doctor Who And The Silurians
    4. The Mind Of Evil
    5. Terror Of The Autons
    6. Colony In Space
    7. Spearhead From Space
    8. The Ambassadors Of Death
    9. The Claws Of Axos

I re-watched all the Jon Pertwee Dr Who's about a year ago, they were all pretty damn good stories, and i had, very good memories of them from when i watched them initially as a young lad.

Wasn't it Jon Pertwee who always used to come up with that same techno-babble line, in many of his stories, when trying to stop a disaster happening, when fiddling with some contraption, he would say.

"Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" :))

Yep, that's Pertwee. :D I believe it was put in once for techo babble, but Pertwee liked the line, so it was worked into other stories.

When i re-watched one of the Pertwee, Dalek stories, i was surprised to of seen that the story had been updated with modern day special effects, which actually enhanced the Daleks quite a bit.

I think they should of done an update to the Dinosaurs story as well, coz those Dinosaurs look really naff and cheap now!

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @Cloud007. I haven't been much of a fan of Claire Danes in other works (I've heard she's known for her pain/cry face) but in Homeland it all just comes together so well. I completely agree with your assessment of her character on the show. Someone with bi-polar told me she nails that aspect too.

The same goes for Saul, played magnificently by Mandy Patinkin.

Another show I really enjoyed and which had consistently excellent characterizations was Mad Men.....much slower paced of course, but it nailed what it set out to do.
  • @bondjames, I actually haven't seen her in anything else but I'm now I'm curious. Yeah, Saul is really good as a man tortured by his job, some of his conversations with Carrie are simply first-grade quality acting.

I've heard a lot about Mad Men, I'll probably check it out soon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    When i re-watched one of the Pertwee, Dalek stories, i was surprised to of seen that the story had been updated with modern day special effects, which actually enhanced the Daleks quite a bit.

I think they should of done an update to the Dinosaurs story as well, coz those Dinosaurs look really naff and cheap now!

Invasion Of The Dinosaurs? I haven't seen that one complete, but i've seen bits of the dino scenes, and they look iffy to say the least. But i'm a fan of the McCoy era (not known for it's high production values), so we'll see what I think of INVASION when I come to it.

Invasion Of The Dinosaurs? I haven't seen that one complete, but i've seen bits of the dino scenes, and they look iffy to say the least. But i'm a fan of the McCoy era (not known for it's high production values), so we'll see what I think of INVASION when I come to it.

I always remembered best the stories with the monsters, coz i was a young lad then, and i did get a bit fed up with all the earlier Pertwee stories being Earth bound, and with seeing the Master in many of them.
    But, as an adult, i appreciated the non monster stories a lot more, and Roger Delgado as the Master was excellent, shame he had a tragic early death, which i believe was one of the reasons Pertwee gave for him leaving the role, as he had been good friends with Roger Delgado.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Doctor Who: The Curse Of Peladon
    Episodes 1 & 2
    Episodes 1 & 2

I remember that, there was a female alien creature with a big round head, with one big eye in the middle.

:)
    Episodes 1 & 2

I remember that, there was a female alien creature with a big round head, with one big eye in the middle.

That's the one. The Ice Warriors are in it as well, but so far (it's a four part story) they don't appear to be the villains of the story.
    Episodes 1 & 2

That's the one. The Ice Warriors are in it as well, but so far (it's a four part story) they don't appear to be the villains of the story.

Are you watching the Pertwee Dr Who stories in the order as they were shown on TV?

As a young lad in the 60's i particularly liked the Troughton era (also known as the Monster era). Tragic that many of his best episodes have been lost. Still a few classics have survived.

Episodes 1 & 2

Are you watching the Pertwee Dr Who stories in the order as they were shown on TV?

As a young lad in the 60's i particularly liked the Troughton era (also known as the Monster era). Tragic that many of his best episodes have been lost. Still a few classics have survived.

Indeed I am, from Spearhead In Space to Planet Of The Spiders.

Troughton is another of my favourite Doctors, my 2nd favourite. There's something magical about Troughton's Doctor. And thankfully, as you said, a few of his classics have survived.
    Episodes 1 & 2

Indeed I am, from Spearhead In Space to Planet Of The Spiders.

Troughton is another of my favourite Doctors, my 2nd favourite. There's something magical about Troughton's Doctor. And thankfully, as you said, a few of his classics have survived.

By my reckoning you've still got quite a few Pertwee stories to see, and though there are a couple of naff stories in the latter half of Pertwee's era, there are still some great stories, like the Green Death, i remember that coz of the giant maggots....yuk!

edited December 2015 Posts: 13,894
    I believe that I have 13 left. Most of the Pertwee stories that I have already seen in their entirety, I have already watched in this marathon. Of the upcoming stories, I know that I have definitely watched The Time Monster & Planet Of The Spiders whole. The rest.... I think just an episode here and there.
  • Cloud007 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot about Mad Men, I'll probably check it out soon.
    I miss Mad Men- my girlfriend and I would always have a martini or whiskey while we watched :)
    Right now, I'm in the middle of "Colony in Space". Still waiting for the Master to appear. Still, an entertaining episode, with a few political undertones. Doctor Who has always been a deeper series than it appears. The last episode of this season, for example, is an illustration of the Five Stages of Grief. And "The Web Planet" was a metaphor for cancer. Funny, isn't it ?
    Nothing against Delgado, but is it fair to say that they might have used the Master a little too much that series. He's in all five stories. Maybe that's easy to say, now, with hindsight.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Right now, I'm in the middle of "Colony in Space". Still waiting for the Master to appear. Still, an entertaining episode, with a few political undertones. Doctor Who has always been a deeper series than it appears. The last episode of this season, for example, is an illustration of the Five Stages of Grief. And "The Web Planet" was a metaphor for cancer. Funny, isn't it ?

That's a weird story, with Hippies in it?

• I miss Mad Men- my girlfriend and I would always have a martini or whiskey while we watched :)

Not a bad tradition!.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Nothing against Delgado, but is it fair to say that they might have used the Master a little too much that series. He's in all five stories. Maybe that's easy to say, now, with hindsight.

Yes, over reliance on The Master that season, but still some cracking good stories. My twelve-year-old absolute Dr Who nut loves The Inferno - I think it's his all-time favourite Who!
    His fav Dr is Hartnell and mine is Troughton (remember The Web of Fear as a child, and was so glad when that was found and released on DVD) but we both enjoy classic era Who.
    Being born in 1985, and having grown up more in the 1990's (as well as not becoming a Who fan until 2007), I envy fans who can point out their Doctor, as in the one they grew up with. I do have vague memories of repeats, I think on BBC 2, in the 90's.
    Being born in 1985, and having grown up more in the 1990's (as well as not becoming a Who fan until 2007), I envy fans who can point out their Doctor, as in the one they grew up with. I do have vague memories of repeats, I think on BBC 2, in the 90's.

As a kid growing up in the 60's, Dr Who was absolutely fantastic, and i still have memories of some of the Hartnell era Who's.
    I even remember the first showing of a Dalek, which was at an end of an episode, and all you saw was that sink plunger, the following week we all got to see the Daleks in full.

Still my favourite era was the Troughton era, with his companions Jamie and Victoria, and later Zoe.

That Web of Fear story was very good, glad they found most of the episodes, shame though that episode 3 (i believe) is still missing.

Would love to see the the full stories from 'The Macra Terror', 'Fury from the deep', and the 'Moonbase' found.

A real tragedy that the BBC wiped, many of these 60's classics. :(
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    @mepal1 would love for Fury From the Deep to be found, the little that's available looks very good. And as you say a tragedy that so much of Troughton's stories were wiped. :-(
    @mepal1 would love for Fury From the Deep to be found, the little that's available looks very good. And as you say a tragedy that so much of Troughton's stories were wiped. :-(

....yes, and its even more unfortunate that the lost stories were some of the best ones, of that era!

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    London Spy

Only got the final episode to go but this has been exemplary. Ben Wishaw has been mesmerising and Jim Broadbent nearly as good.

A touch of Le Carre here but this is easily some the best work BBC has done in recent times and dare I say much more satisfying than that other spy enterprise that young Ben has been involved with recently.

Proving the idea that TV is regularly shaming the big screen. I'd much rather watch something with depth and that has a chance to breathe than something that tries to accomplish too much in it's relatively short time space.

It's any wonder A list actors are gravitating back to TV when this type of quality is out there.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Episodes 3 & 4

Well done to the writers, as they intended (and like the Doctor...) I fell into their trap and suspected the Ice Warriors. It was funny seeing who played King Peladon.

1. Inferno
    2. The Daemons
    3. The Curse Of Peladon
    4. Doctor Who And The Silurians
    5. The Mind Of Evil
    6. Terror Of The Autons
    7. Colony In Space
    8. Spearhead From Space
    9. The Ambassadors Of Death
    10. The Claws Of Axos

Upon finishing The Curse Of Peladon. I noticed that I had somehow skipped the previous story, Day Of The Daleks, so I watched the first two episodes of that story as well.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just finished season 1 of Game of Thrones. I've been wanting to rewatch this fantastic show for. I'll carry on with season 2 soon.
    Doctor Who: The Sea Devils
    Episodes 5 & 6

"I've reversed the polarity of the neutron flow."

Whether I have already seen them or not, I tried to approach each story with a clear mind. But when it came to the fishy shenanigans of The Sea Devils, I couldn't wait to get around to it, as one of my favourite Who stories, and my favourite Pertwee era story. The only thing that The Sea Devils is missing, are U.N.I.T, but in place of them we do have The Royal Navy. A cracking slice of the dapper dandy Pertwee era. And if it's not too much too ask, could the Sea Devils return in series 10?

***1. The Sea Devils***
    2. Inferno
    3. The Daemons
    4. The Curse Of Peladon
    5. Day Of The Daleks
    6. Doctor Who And The Silurians
    7. The Mind Of Evil
    8. Terror Of The Autons
    9. Colony In Space
    10. Spearhead From Space
    11. The Ambassadors Of Death
    12. The Claws Of Axos
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Another episode of Homeland.

F. Murray Abraham could still make an excellent Bond villain.
    Season finale of "Fargo"
    I daresay it was better than Season 1. I liked the Mike Milligan character as well as Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst characters. Season 1 was fine to a point then the final two episodes were just "out there". Nuff said.

"Switched at Birth" on Netflix. I think it returns in January to ABC Family. This little family drama is addicting. It is not your "Brady Bunch" that's for sure. Lots of pre marital sex, and underage drinking....

Not much else to watch since the winter break has started for our shows. There's always something on Netflix

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Episodes, starring Matt Leblanc, Stephen Mangan, and Tasmin Greig.
    Funny as hell.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched a couple of French and Saunders Christmas specials, spoofing
    Titanic and The Phantom Meance. Both very funny shows.