Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• @Creasy47 and @Dragonpol: I have to agree with both of you! There is some extreme negativity for this song that seems to go beyond normal dislike. I wonder what it is? I like the song so I’m not one to comment, but I can’t recall another Bond song – with perhaps the exception of Madonna’s “Die Another Day” – that has caused such a stir. It’s almost like the people who don’t like it take it personally and react with anger. It IS just a song, right? Am I missing something?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    @Creasy47 and @Dragonpol: I have to agree with both of you! There is some extreme negativity for this song that seems to go beyond normal dislike. I wonder what it is? I like the song so I’m not one to comment, but I can’t recall another Bond song – with perhaps the exception of Madonna’s “Die Another Day” – that has caused such a stir. It’s almost like the people who don’t like it take it personally and react with anger. It IS just a song, right? Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything; it's just the usual reaction - it happens every time! :)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    If it's keeping Justin Bieber off the #1 spot, it's a great song. Not just for Bond
    but for the whole of humanity ! :D
    Michael Keaton, Ben Afflick, Daniel Craig, Brosnan (What REMINGTON STEELE, never), Roger Moore, (The Saint, are you kidding), Replace Connery??? NEVER)............. it's actually more a tradition than we would like to acknowledge. The filmmakers will stay their course and say......................"let us just do our jobs". Not that we all agree that they don't screw that up some times.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    As was discussed earlier, the benefit of time will make everything clear.

Looking back on those actor choices, some have been more successful than others and have stood the test of time. Others, not so much. In the heat of it, they were all either liked or disliked by respective factions, but time makes it all clear, for most of us.

It will do the same for Smith. Too early to really judge.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    delfloria wrote: »
    Michael Keaton, Ben Afflick, Daniel Craig, Brosnan (What REMINGTON STEELE, never), Roger Moore, (The Saint, are you kidding), Replace Connery??? NEVER)............. it's actually more a tradition than we would like to acknowledge. The filmmakers will stay their course and say......................"let us just do our jobs". Not that we all agree that they don't screw that up some times.

Again, very well said!
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Great perspective. The other example that always sticks out in my mind, too, is Heath Ledger as the Joker. Anyway, something we should all keep in mind.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I do hope you get the reveal of Writing on the Wall @Creasy47, when you get to see Spectre. That is how it should be. Unfortunately in my workplace, we have radios everywhere. I tried so hard to avoid Adele's Skyfall, but to no avail. For example the chef has his radio on, and Writing on the Wall came on the air, as I was walking past today. I can't really say, "excuse me old man, but could one turn the wireless down. I do not want to hear the Bond theme. You see, one wants to be surprised..."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    royale65 wrote: »
    I do hope you get the reveal of Writing on the Wall @Creasy47, when you get to see Spectre. That is how it should be. Unfortunately in my workplace, we have radios everywhere. I tried so hard to avoid Adele's Skyfall, but to no avail. For example the chef has his radio on, and Writing on the Wall came on the air, as I was walking past today. I can't really say, "excuse me old man, but could one turn the wireless down. I do not want to hear the Bond theme. You see, one wants to be surprised..."

Couldn't have hurt to ask, because if he declined or laughed in your face, you simply stick his face into a pot of boiling water--I meaaaaaan...you smile and walk away instead!
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham

Great perspective. The other example that always sticks out in my mind, too, is Heath Ledger as the Joker. Anyway, something we should all keep in mind.

For the love god, they found flowing water on Mars and we accept a Bond song written in 20 minutes by an egotist. What is the world coming to?

Hang on, The Martian is released the same time as Nasa's news on Mars ummmm. Sam Smith releases Bond song on the day that the Biggest Coffee Morning Invitation in North Tyneside happened. Says it all really.
    Coming back to the song after a weekend away I have to admit I find it quite forgettable. It didn't really stick with me all that much.

Not a bad song and I don't mind Smith, but just lacking a memorable melody or chorus. I had a similar issue with SF to be honest, although on balance I think SF was probably stronger.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I would like to congratulate Sam Smith on his new hit song. Should be great for the film, as maybe all the Sam Smith fans will flock to the film.
    However I still hate the song, and I'm sure I don't like anything at all by Sam Smith for that matter. I do know I don't like anything by Justin Timberlake or Justin Bieber, and I have heard their awful music. This male pop-sap genre clearly doesn't appeal to me.
    So yes this new song is unquestionably my #WorstBondSongEver. Slam dunk. I can work with Madonna's efforts more than I can with this drek.
    But who cares, I don't get that jacked when LTK or All Time High or even TLD come blaring out of the speakers either, when I watch those movies. Neither YKMN nor TND do much for me either. Point is, IMO if the song is great, its just a bonus.
    I do get jacked for GF, TB, YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, NDIB, FYEO, AVTAK, TWINE. Those are my favourite Bond title songs. I sit up for all of those.
    The Sam Smith abomination will not negatively impact the film at all. It will just be cringeworthy noise over what should be excellent opening credits. Actually, the attempt at Bond-like lush orchestrations which underly the song in parts, may soften the impact of the awful vocals and general lack of relatable tunesmanship, driving the song.

I do encourage those who hate this song, to rip the crap out of it. We fans, got to make the noise. I will mock this song for eternity. As @stmark likes to dub QoS as QoB (I can only imagine what the B stands for), I shall forthwith reference this song as POTWW (Pissings on the Washroom Wall).
    Yes, I amuse myself at least. I welcome any other "creative" attempts at rebranding this song. As for POTWW, I like the alliteration with washroom and wall. Pissings works too I think as appropriate replacement for "writings". Pissings and washroom obviously work well together too. But there are other possiblities to sub for Writings. I think we need to keep the word Wall in place or at least one of either Writings or Wall. Any mock replacement titles should bear some resemblance to the actual title.

Those who love it though, please do sing its praises. This is art (although I use the term loosely in this instance). Art evokes an emotional response. We either connect or we don't. We don't need to explain why. One's taste need not be justified by learned analysis.

Worst three Bond titles IMO, and I'll include JBT from DN.

22. AWTD
    23. DAD
    24. POTWW (WOTW)

As I said earlier, I do like the other 21 titles. I really don't consider there to be an obvious next worst, or 21st place song.

@murdock Thank you. Actually I never left. Just way too busy all summer to find time to scribble here with any regularity. Contributing here can be a bit of a commitment. Don't want to be jumping in half-cocked.

@smitty and others. I do share your pain re this song. I look foward to much future commiserating over the bloody, putrid, awfulness of it all. >:P
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    The best way to improve WOTW let Brosnan sing it .
    Big step in right direction at least. Broz's Mamma Mia work is not worse at least. :))
    edited September 2015 Posts: 40,485
    timmer wrote: »
    We fans, got to make the noise. I will mock this song for eternity.

This is what I was getting at earlier when I talked about taking it to the extreme. Is the song really that horrible? At this rate, once I finally do get to hear it, I'm expecting to hear a little over four minutes of audio that plays nothing but literal, horrible diarrhea.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    @Creasy47 and @Dragonpol: I have to agree with both of you! There is some extreme negativity for this song that seems to go beyond normal dislike. I wonder what it is? I like the song so I’m not one to comment, but I can’t recall another Bond song – with perhaps the exception of Madonna’s “Die Another Day” – that has caused such a stir. It’s almost like the people who don’t like it take it personally and react with anger. It IS just a song, right? Am I missing something?

Simple the song lacks a chorus, a melody and a big climax. The tracks deliberately stripped back to show of his falsetto which is sung at a frequency that makes dogs cry. When you consider all of the other artists out there it was success trying to attach itself to success but the combination is mis-matched. I love everything in Dan's tenure I am so pumped for Spectre but seriously worried from Dan's comments about Bond being lonely an an emotional wreck that being older it's not appropriate for his Bond to be a womaniser, then Sam's lyrics that this is going to be Casablanca meets OHMSS by then end of it were all in a cinema talking about our feelings and sharing cookie receipes. Dan's Bond is best gritty the theme should have been something with attitude rocky, symphonic with real drive and adventure.
    @SirHilaryBray, I dunnooooo, I do enjoy a good cookie, so those recipes may come in handy...
  • timmer wrote: »
    As @stmark likes to dub QoS as QoB (I can only imagine what the B stands for), I shall forthwith reference this song as POTWW (Pissings on the Washroom Wall).

It reminds me of whose on box office forums who insist on referencing "The Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey" as "Floppit", because it just did $1 bn. Well, somehow it's still going on 3 years later.. But on box office forums only, which is IMO, something you don't want to be associated with if you have any concerns about your sanity :)
    DrGorner wrote: »
    arts-go-compare-790_133934c.jpg
    I think some would rather have this guy singing it. :D

:)) Could you imagine?!!!!! ~X( :-t
    Always interesting how fans get so possessive of something that is not theirs. It's the filmmakers call. Shouldn't we go along for the ride or else find something we do like?

That's a very good point. Some fans complain that their fave band/artist dares to change and do different things musically, which are not what made those fans love them in the first place. Some are pissed off when a specific song that happens to be their fave isn't played at a live concert they go to. Some whine when their fave actor shows interest in movie projects that they feel are just all wrong and even if the movie hasn't even started shooting and they know barely anything about it, they are sure it'll be crap - the actor should have done this or that other role, why the hell did he not.

Sometimes I'm damned curious myself about role choices, but wouldn't insist anyone does any role they - for whatever reason - decide not to do, and I'm always curious to see what my faves decide to do - and I decide if I like it or not only after seeing it. I don't complain about people wanting to work with people they love and admire, even if those people may not be my faves. I never go to concerts with shopping lists - "I need to hear this song" - I go to enjoy the experience and whatever songs happen to be played that night. When people release new records I can always listen before buying, and I don't get pissed off if I don't like it... Obviously it's unfortunate for me if I don't, but there's tons of other music around or I can also listen to their older stuff if I prefer it.

This is a somewhat different case in that the choice of a Bond theme performer is not an artistic choice, but a commercial one. Unfortunately, in some ways, but realistically thinking that's the way it goes, and has been so before as well. I'd actually understand the very strong reaction more if the choice could be thought to be an artistic one. I understand if people really don't like it, and I understand if they do. Music is such a personal thing. But it's a song, and a marketing tool, not something of huge importance to the movie or the franchise, surely? I don't get the anger - anymore than I get the anger in the artistic matters such as those I mentioned above.

Fans, by nature, are somewhat possessive - or at least protective, and that's because they care. I get that, I've been a fan and continue to be a fan of many people and things, and I'm very protective, too. But the anger is, I think, misplaced. Even if one hates the song, it won't ruin the film, it won't ruin the whole score, it won't make the movie a critical failure or a box office flop, it won't harm the franchise or the character. So ultimately, why does it matter so much if one likes it or not? What is there to get so protective about, and so upset about if one hates the song? And some clearly do, it's not just "meh" or mild dislike...

Something always has to be chosen, and whatever it is, everybody won't like it. No setlist will include everybody's fave songs. No album will be to everyone's taste. No roles or movies will be what everyone would want. No collaborator (movie director, record producer, etc.) will get everyone excited. No Bond theme tune will be performed by an artist everyone likes, and no Bond theme tune will be universally loved. People's opinions vary a lot about the old theme tunes as well, even about the biggest classics, no surprise they vary about the new one.

Those who like the song, enjoy. Those who don't, just chill. There is no right or wrong opinion about a song - this or any other song.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Creasy47

You don't have to worry at all about the song. Wait and see it for yourself in the cinema, it's just wonderful and all those people here getting hysterical about a song seem to have lost their minds and they are the ones that are frightening and certainly not a simple love song.
    The internet turns people into whiny, self important, demanding cry babies. If the worst part of the film is the song, I'll be happy enough.
    Art evokes an emotional response. We either connect or we don't. We don't need to explain why. One's taste need not be justified by learned analysis.

This is so true, but often forgotten or ignored when people manage to argue on and on, sometimes quite furiously, about what's good or bad in any art.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    We fans, got to make the noise. I will mock this song for eternity.

This is what I was getting at earlier when I talked about taking it to the extreme. Is the song really that horrible? At this rate, once I finally do get to hear it, I'm expecting to hear a little over four minutes of audio that plays nothing but literal, horrible diarrhea.

Like I said earlier, I was positively surprised when I heard the song after reading many very negative comments here. I don't love it - it's not something I'd spent money on or choose to listen to particularly - but I certainly don't think it's awful. I expected much worse, especially considering I don't like the artist's voice or other music.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @SirHilaryBray, I dunnooooo, I do enjoy a good cookie, so those recipes may come in handy...

:))
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    I would never expect to recieve Bond theme like Writing's on The Wall, but... i do love it.

In Skyfall they were playing on his emotions mentioning his old home, bringing all these memories while digging in his past. In Spectre, things will get more serious - Bond's past will not involve mentioned place anymore, but an actual character he will meet. You could already notice on the trailer that Daniel Craig shows more emotions than feeling physical pain, throwing jokes or being serious. The song, the icon of the movie is very sensitive, even Sam Smith said that he tried to step into the shoes of Bond with this song.

For me, this is the proof that we will be given the most emotional version of James Bond character.

@Esoteric happy you enjoy the song; welcome to the forums as well.
    Emotional Bond. Never been my cup of tea except for the extraordinary OHMSS.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Well, emotional Bond was Fleming's cup of tea, I do believe.
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Always interesting how fans get so possessive of something that is not theirs. It's the filmmakers call. Shouldn't we go along for the ride or else find something we do like?

That's a very good point. Some fans complain that their fave band/artist dares to change and do different things musically, which are not what made those fans love them in the first place. Some are pissed off when a specific song that happens to be their fave isn't played at a live concert they go to. Some whine when their fave actor shows interest in movie projects that they feel are just all wrong and even if the movie hasn't even started shooting and they know barely anything about it, they are sure it'll be crap - the actor should have done this or that other role, why the hell did he not.

Sometimes I'm damned curious myself about role choices, but wouldn't insist anyone does any role they - for whatever reason - decide not to do, and I'm always curious to see what my faves decide to do - and I decide if I like it or not only after seeing it. I don't complain about people wanting to work with people they love and admire, even if those people may not be my faves. I never go to concerts with shopping lists - "I need to hear this song" - I go to enjoy the experience and whatever songs happen to be played that night. When people release new records I can always listen before buying, and I don't get pissed off if I don't like it... Obviously it's unfortunate for me if I don't, but there's tons of other music around or I can also listen to their older stuff if I prefer it.

This is a somewhat different case in that the choice of a Bond theme performer is not an artistic choice, but a commercial one. Unfortunately, in some ways, but realistically thinking that's the way it goes, and has been so before as well. I'd actually understand the very strong reaction more if the choice could be thought to be an artistic one. I understand if people really don't like it, and I understand if they do. Music is such a personal thing. But it's a song, and a marketing tool, not something of huge importance to the movie or the franchise, surely? I don't get the anger - anymore than I get the anger in the artistic matters such as those I mentioned above.

Fans, by nature, are somewhat possessive - or at least protective, and that's because they care. I get that, I've been a fan and continue to be a fan of many people and things, and I'm very protective, too. But the anger is, I think, misplaced. Even if one hates the song, it won't ruin the film, it won't ruin the whole score, it won't make the movie a critical failure or a box office flop, it won't harm the franchise or the character. So ultimately, why does it matter so much if one likes it or not? What is there to get so protective about, and so upset about if one hates the song? And some clearly do, it's not just "meh" or mild dislike...

Something always has to be chosen, and whatever it is, everybody won't like it. No setlist will include everybody's fave songs. No album will be to everyone's taste. No roles or movies will be what everyone would want. No collaborator (movie director, record producer, etc.) will get everyone excited. No Bond theme tune will be performed by an artist everyone likes, and no Bond theme tune will be universally loved. People's opinions vary a lot about the old theme tunes as well, even about the biggest classics, no surprise they vary about the new one.

Those who like the song, enjoy. Those who don't, just chill. There is no right or wrong opinion about a song - this or any other song.

Maybe.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's a polarizing song. That's why it's had this effect. On this board and elsewhere in the blogosphere.

That's my point though.

They didn't need to go down this path. Either they chose to intentionally (and have had an effect for marketing purposes.....to quote Carver: "There's no news......like bad news!") or they had no clue what impact it would have (which means they are idiots imho).

I try to be reasonable most of the time, but that song.....nearly killed me.

The song is also polarizing because there is no other news at the moment for people to argue over.
    We could start arguing over the lack of news ? ;)
    Getting a UK No. 1 is great publicity for the film but let's not kid ourselves.....it doesn't make it a good song. Let's remember what else has been No. 1 in recent memory on the UK charts that completely sucks....

- Woman beater Chris Brown
    - Gangnam Style
    - One Direction
    - Robin Thicke
    - Beetlejuice grinder Miley Cyrus
    - Bieber

I'd wager it's only No. 1 because, quite frankly, Sam Smith is the 'It' guy right now on the music scene. But still to the point, it's likely to be No. 1 so congratulations are in order.
    Bond at #1, is still a milestone. =D> and should be celebrated.