Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I’d rather dislike the song and love the movie than the other way around, though.
    Me too. This is all that's keeping me going now.....and the possibility of a kick 'a' score from Newman.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    This thread is a nutshell:

Blah blah blah sucks blah blah blah falsetto blah blah blah horrible, no climax, doesn't sound like Bond blah blah @Timmer worst bond song ever blah blah yes I have to agree with this statement.
    To be fair, there is a seperate thread to exclusively appreciate to song. Many people dont like the song, this much is certain. Interpreting the criticism as "blah" does not change anything
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    People complaining about the lyrics of WOTW, when we had stuff like "He strikes like a Thunderball", "I'm gonna close my body now", " No-one can catch him, no hit man can match him " and "Shoot 'em, bang bang!"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    TB was never one of my favorite title songs, but damn, if Jones doesn't still have it 47 years later in that video of the BAFTA's.

The song isn't among my faves, either, but Tom Jones is brilliant. I saw him live last summer and he was great, and the voice remains as strong as ever.

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    patb wrote: »
    Many people dont like the song, this much is certain. Interpreting the criticism as "blah" does not change anything

It's certainly been polarising, but seemingly not enough to stop it going to number 1. Must have struck a chord for a fair few people.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Walecs wrote: »
    People complaining about the lyrics of WOTW, when we had stuff like "He strikes like a Thunderball", "I'm gonna close my body now", " No-one can catch him, no hit man can match him " and "Shoot 'em, bang bang!"

That should say something though. Music hits at a gut level. If it grates, it grates, and it impacts one's view of the whole caboodle. That's why it's important that it not irritate. I'm able to look beyond that aspect (the lyrics I mean) because it's the soul-less (to me) singing that hurts, but I don't blame others for their views on the lyrics as well. Art has that effect.

For marketing purposes, it may have been a good idea to create something controversial like this (to get people talking), but in the long run I wonder if it will do any damage. I hope not, and SP the film can still lift everyone's spirits in 1.5 months time, even if Smith the songster & lyricist did not.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well done on a record-breaking UK No. 1, Sam Smith! Irrespective of what one thinks of WOTW that's quite some achievement for a James Bond theme song!
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Excuse the language so I will put it in spoiler as not to offend but I can sum up Sam Smiths track
    Walt Disney Pish
    Excuse the language so I will put it in spoiler as not to offend but I can sum up Sam Smiths track
    Walt Disney Pish

A good Scots term there! :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    All I see is a few people in agreement and the rest of you driving home the same point of how horrible it is, along with some childish and awful, cringe-worthy jokes. Nobody is forcing you to return to this thread if some of you hate it so much, you know. It's as simple as that. I've counted a few who have repeated almost the exact same thing, verbatim, over the course of a page or two. I still haven't given the song a listen myself, but again, are we really at a point where some people are fearing that SP will be subpar solely because of Smith's work on the title song? Seems a bit extreme...
    I think some of us are in shock of just how bad it is! sorry if the points are repeated, it's streadily sinking in how awful and out of place it is IMHO
    So who else has deliberately avoided a listen til the film premiere itself then?
    @patb, which is fine; obviously I'm not defending it, since I've yet to hear it, but with the disgust I've seen some people post, I don't know why they don't just avoid the thread if the song obviously isn't their thing. There's a difference between disliking something and having a mature discussion about it, and disliking something and acting like a child about it. (This is just a general statement I'm making, it's not aimed at you in any way.)

@andmcit, I'm right there with you! I've wanted to cave and give it a listen so many times since people seem very strongly divided on it, but I'm still holding in strong! Hoping I can last until November. It was easy with Adele's 'Skyfall' because it seemed to be universally loved, so I knew I'd just be waiting for something great and the payoff would be worth it, but with most of the votes going to the negative side of whether everyone on this site loves it or not, I've been itching to give it a listen.
    I still haven't given the song a listen myself, but again, are we really at a point where some people are fearing that SP will be subpar solely because of Smith's work on the title song? Seems a bit extreme...

@Creasy47, no, I don't think anyone has said that (at least not that I can see here).

However, I personally think it wasn't necessary to create something controversial like this (if they couldn't see that it would be controversial then perhaps they should reconsider their careers......having said that Mendes did give Logan a completely free reign until he had to be sacked for cocking it up on the script....so perhaps controls are not in place where they need to be). So either they did it intentionally (which is good PR/Marketing no matter what I think of it), to get tongues wagging (mission accomplished) or they did not know what they were doing (and that's a scary thought for the film....).

At the end of the day, there is an appreciation thread specifically for the 'lovers'. I'm open to hearing positive and negative remarks on this thread and have found all comments quite informative (including the very negative and very positive ones)...

I think you're probably noticing it more because you've not listened to it yet.
    I'm not saying that you should pack up and leave if you don't like the song, but with some of the deep hatred I've seen spewed over something as mundane as a song, some people need to check their priorities or maybe take a few steps back into reality and relax. Maybe that's simply me, though, as I don't think I could ever let a title song really alter my thoughts on a movie as a whole, or keep me worried about the film in its entirety without having seen it yet.
    It's a polarizing song. That's why it's had this effect. On this board and elsewhere in the blogosphere.

That's my point though.

They didn't need to go down this path. Either they chose to intentionally (and have had an effect for marketing purposes.....to quote Carver: "There's no news......like bad news!") or they had no clue what impact it would have (which means they are idiots imho).

I try to be reasonable most of the time, but that song.....nearly killed me.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's a polarizing song. That's why it's had this effect. On this board and elsewhere in the blogosphere.

That's my point though.

They didn't need to go down this path. Either they chose to intentionally (and have had an effect for marketing purposes.....to quote Carver: "There's no news......like bad news!") or they had no clue what impact it would have (which means they are idiots imho).

It's funny that the majority of those who absolutely hate the song are the same people who are making me really want to hear it, just to see if I agree or if I find myself confused at how anyone could think it's awful.
    bondjames wrote: »

That's my point though.

It's funny that the majority of those who absolutely hate the song are the same people who are making me really want to hear it, just to see if I agree or if I find myself confused at how anyone could think it's awful.

Whatever happens, you're going to go one way or the other. There's no sitting on the fence with this thing. It shares that with Madonna's DAD, and hopefully that's all SP shares with it (apart from having a tricked out Aston and being the 4th film from an actor.......oh oh...the similarities are mounting...)

Seriously though, SP is going to put all worries to rest. I'm sure of it.
    The only thing I've caught so far that seems completely lazy to me has been the marketing aspect of it: the trailers and TV spots have come out at a fair pace, but the posters and videoblogs were seriously, seriously lacking. Still, though, that's their department and I know it won't reflect how amazing or poor the film may be. I have a feeling I'll be in for a real treat come November 5th, and I hope I'm right.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 17,804
    I'm not saying that you should pack up and leave if you don't like the song, but with some of the deep hatred I've seen spewed over something as mundane as a song, some people need to check their priorities or maybe take a few steps back into reality and relax. Maybe that's simply me, though, as I don't think I could ever let a title song really alter my thoughts on a movie as a whole, or keep me worried about the film in its entirety without having seen it yet.

Well said. Let's get things in perspective here!
    Mallory wrote: »

As I said from the start, mission accomplished. That was the purpose and it has been achieved.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Thing is Adele didnt have a weeks worth of sales... Only two days. If she had the same time as Smith she would've been Number 1 as well.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Back in the day before the internet arrived (for proper) and gave us the constant bombardment of instant fixes, repeat play, google, web discussion forums and a newsmedia over analysing the minutest of trivia to fill minutes on SKY, (I dunno, early 90's?) you'd be lucky to hear the new Bond soundtrack released before you saw it in the cinema (I recall AVTAK being played on UK tv charts days before I actually saw the film).

For the most part, I waited for the main event and believe this is the best way to hear the track. I'd then go out and buy the LP to play it to death and relive the film over and over.

It's how I first saw YKMN and SF and they worked so well with the OS that I got the full goosebumps response and I love them and can never tire of hearing them. I realise these days they need to be a moneymaking element in the whole brouhaha of a film release but they didn't really need to live outside the film in SC RM days of Bond.

It's probably how I've really ingrained one and every Bond track to the point where I can listen to them all - DAD included. Don't snigger, it's true.

The powerful thing about music is the association of the time you heard it and the circumstances of who you were with, what you were doing etc. I have indelible memories of a washout tent camping holiday with my parents and sister in the New Forest and the escape to Bournemouth on spec to see the new Bond release.

We sat up in the gods in an ancient classic theatre with side boxes and full on curtains etc and when it all belted out Duran Duran the feeling was immense - the expectations, the excitement and the shared experience with those close to me cannot be matched not forgotten.

So sitting in front of a PC and downloading it to then compare notes online here isn't the way I want to recall listening to the new Bond. It's a bit pants really.
    Fair point @andmcit.

I wish I had waited to hear WOTW in the theatre for the first time in IMAX with the DK credits. I'm sure my experience would have been more +ve. I'm not going to listen to it anymore (for obvious and previously stated reasons) until I see the film, and hopefully it can be salvaged in my mind at that time.

Stay strong.......you're doing the right thing.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    @Creasy47 You will like it. Most of these hate comments are vastly exaggerated. It's very much like the NDIB of our times.
    Always interesting how fans get so possessive of something that is not theirs. It's the filmmakers call. Shouldn't we go along for the ride or else find something we do like?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    arts-go-compare-790_133934c.jpg
    I think some would rather have this guy singing it. :D
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    The best way to improve WOTW let Brosnan sing it .