Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

another way to consider the song is longevity. If it lasts well, it adds to the library of loved songs and will be enjoyed by future generations. Who thinks that SS will be performing "wall" live in arenas in 28 years time?

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    patb wrote: »
    another way to consider the song is longevity. If it lasts well, it adds to the library of loved songs and will be enjoyed by future generations. Who thinks that SS will be performing "wall" live in arenas in 28 years time?

I think so because it's a classic song.

Anyone else have this song stuck in their head?
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham

This is a classic. SS and Peeing on the Walls is truly awful.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,599
    Thanks for posting. Not one of my favs but there is no doubt that it has achieved classic status and the fact that it's being covered over such a long period of time proves that IMHO. Look forward to SS appearing at Glastonbury in 2045 years time.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I could say the opposite. I've never been a fan of LALD. Some parts are good, but I hate most of it.
    Yet I've been listening to Writing's on the Wall dozens of times since it's release (I'm leasting to it right now).
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham

I think OHMSS is going to be a huge inspiration for Spectre - and as Smith says it's Bond's love song (yawn). I think we had a hint of OHMSS sounds in the SP haven't we already.

Anyway this is a bonified classic.
  • MrLunnMrLunn Lunnigham
    Sonething I jsut found that I haven't heard before but the members here might be familiar with, any way, still worth a jolly good listen.

OHMSS is proof that a Bond movie has room for a stonking main theme and a romantic theme for the sub plot.
    47 years later, so thats the same as SS singing "wall" when he is 70! Tom Jones = legend. Sorry for drift but it shows what a Bond song has to do to reach classic status
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    MrLunn wrote: »
    WOTW extened version.

Wow! That was great! Thank you for undeniably valid contribution to the discussion!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    47 years later, so thats the same as SS singing "wall" when he is 70! Tom Jones = legend. Sorry for drift but it shows what a Bond song has to do to reach classic status

Well, who are we to judge if Sam Smith will be the same legend in several decades than Tom Jones is. You never know.

Or would anyone have bet back in 1985 that Madonna still would sell millions of records in 2015 and be the undisputed Queen of Pop??

a-ha and Duran Duran still are releasing new albums that sell well among their fan base and this 30 years after AVTAK and Take On Me.

Sam Smith may just be the Tom Jones of our days.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,661
    I take it this thread is actually a dream? We'll wake up and find Robbie Williams has done the theme to SPECTRE instead.

Cool! \:D/ :-j
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Hi, not related to this thread so my apologies for that, but I was just wondering if there was a thread dedicated to thoughts on who people would like as the next or a future artist taking on a Bond theme song. I’ve looked and, for the life of me, I can’t find one (which I’m sure there will be) and I’ve probably missed it. Many thanks.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TB was never one of my favorite title songs, but damn, if Jones doesn't still have it 47 years later in that video of the BAFTA's.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I think it will be the only thing he is remembered for, strictly because it is a Bond theme.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

I think it will be the only thing he is remembered for, strictly because it is a Bond theme.

I tend to agree with this. His name will be in the history books because of it, and that's about it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Which Bond songs "broke through" and remain culturally relevant to the general public?

I'd argue that it's very few: definitely GF, YOLT, DAF, LALD, and NDIB; arguably FYEO and AVTAK; and likely SF (although it's still early days). So that's 8 out of 23--less than one-third.

The rest only get trotted out every few years when a new Bond film opens.

Time will tell for Sam Smith's song.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Time will certainly tell. I haven't been around long enough to have encountered all these songs when they were initially released, but I think then when they had the kind of polarizing effect that Smith's song has had to date (on the fan base as well as the general public) on initial release, then the song tends not to be remembered too well down the road.

What I'm saying is I don't remember too much after the fact positive changes to opinion on Bond songs with time. How one feels at the start is usually how it's remembered. Smith's song is and always will be polarizing.....some love it (evidently) and some think it stinks (count me in).

I remember the same with Madonna's DAD. A very attractive girl I was seeing at the time loved it and played it all the time...she tried to convince me it was good...needless to say it didn't last long.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,622
    @foreverbonded
    Just curious, if this new song isn't #worstBondsongever, what pray tell might be? I'll concede you possibly DAD or AWTD, but IMO every other one of the 23 Bond titles (not including JBT in this list ) has considerable merit as worthy Bond title.

I actually do very much like 20 of the 23 titles. Some I have on pedestal as all-time classics, the others I just really like.
    DAD & AWTD I don't like, and never have, but even then I don't mind listening to AWTD. It has sort of grown on me, in a quirky way. DAD though is utterly awful- a screeching, unmusical mess (surprisingly, crafted by someone who had been quite adept over the years at churning out catchy songs) but DAD still is not as horrid as Pissings on the Washroom Wall, or whatever this new drek is called.

I can honestly say this is one of the worst songs that I have ever heard in my life. That's because, when something is this bad, I never listen to it all the way thru. I'll kill it and pretty much blackball the artist.

This song, I did listen to all the way through, out of obligation as Bond fan. I even had it loud, it pains to me say. But I can't remember hating any song that I have listened to all the way through as much as this one.

It truly is the worst thing in the world. Needless to say I have blackballed Smith as "artist."
    I admit I've never listened to his stuff before, although maybe I have and I managed to turn it off, before I could hear it through. I do that a lot with car radio.
    But I had also never listened to one Adele song or one Aha song before either, and was barely familiar with Cornell and Soundgarden too, but these artists all cranked out great Bond songs. SF still isn't a favourite, but it has grown on me. It's worthy.

And even with the old 60's and 70's songs - I didn't know many of these artists until I first discovered them on the Bond landscape ie Nancy, Monroe, Bassey, Lulu..even Rita Coolidge, but that didn't impact my ability to be wowed by their Bond renditions.
    Nope, this Sam Smith song is absolute Worst Bond Song Ever, IMHO of course.

Shame, as this film is going to be epic in so many ways.
    Time acts as a great filter with pop, the good stuff over comes short term fashion and elitism and triumphs (sometimes forcing the media to re-allign themselves with jo public). Queen and Abba at one time were derided by the media but the quality of the music (and the good taste of the public) means that they win the day in the long term. Plus appreciation in the form of covers is always a sign of respect within the industry (anyone covered DAD?) We can only guess with SS but, as someone who was derided in the playground for admitting to really liking ABBA, The Carpenters, Simon and Garfunkel etc, I can see that real quality lasts. I just can't hear any real quality in SS's effort. It has no legs and that's a real shame, a real shame. I could be wrong, he could be filling out the Albert Hall in 30 years time but I just can't see it.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,622
    @patB there is no hope for this song. It is just godawful.
    Queen Abba and Carpenters are all great artists. I latched onto all of them immediately, upon first hearing. None of their music had to grow on me. I used to hum SOS incessantly and Queen is one of the great rock bands of history.

Now, Sam Smith may be a great artist -he does have a fan base after all - but for Bond he has managed to record one of the worst songs ever laid down. Just a bad bad bad, lame lame lame awful horrid putrid cringy ballad.
    Eon could have listened to Craig and brought back Adele for an encore...ah well...whats done....etc
    Can you imagine if the producers wanted a heart felt , sensitive love song (like WHATTITW) and could turn to someone with the talent of The Carpenters? my God! (But that links to Hal David, Bacharach etc , a golden age of song writing)
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Just waiting on the bootleg Sam Smith V Michael Jackson - Writing is on the Earth Song.
    timmer wrote: »
    @foreverbonded
    Just curious, if this new song isn't #worstBondsongever, what pray tell might be? I'll concede you possibly DAD or AWTD, but IMO every other one of the 23 Bond titles (not including JBT in this list ) has considerable merit as worthy Bond title.

I actually do very much like 20 of the 23 titles. Some I have on pedestal as all-time classics, the others I just really like.
    DAD & AWTD I don't like, and never have, but even then I don't mind listening to AWTD. It has sort of grown on me, in a quirky way. DAD though is utterly awful- a screeching, unmusical mess (surprisingly, crafted by someone who had been quite adept over the years at churning out catchy songs) but DAD still is not as horrid as Pissings on the Washroom Wall, or whatever this new drek is called.

I can honestly say this is one of the worst songs that I have ever heard in my life. That's because, when something is this bad, I never listen to it all the way thru. I'll kill it and pretty much blackball the artist.

This song, I did listen to all the way through, out of obligation as Bond fan. I even had it loud, it pains to me say. But I can't remember hating any song that I have listened to all the way through as much as this one.

It truly is the worst thing in the world. Needless to say I have blackballed Smith as "artist."
    I admit I've never listened to his stuff before, although maybe I have and I managed to turn it off, before I could hear it through. I do that a lot with car radio.
    But I had also never listened to one Adele song or one Aha song before either, and was barely familiar with Cornell and Soundgarden too, but these artists all cranked out great Bond songs. SF still isn't a favourite, but it has grown on me. It's worthy.

And even with the old 60's and 70's songs - I didn't know many of these artists until I first discovered them on the Bond landscape ie Nancy, Monroe, Bassey, Lulu..even Rita Coolidge, but that didn't impact my ability to be wowed by their Bond renditions.
    Nope, this Sam Smith song is absolute Worst Bond Song Ever, IMHO of course.

Shame, as this film is going to be epic in so many ways.

@timmer speaks the truth. I think what so distresses so many posters who dislike SS's Peeing on The Wall, is that SS is also peeing on the film. This mess of a song is nailed to SP forever. I don't know how much he may undermine SP, and every interview he gives, but I cannot see how his screeching falsetto can possibly help. To SS, this is all bout him, not Bond.

I keep hoping that EON will see the truth behind the backlash, and move this mess to the end credits, and put an instrumental version on the opening credits. But I guess it is too late. Other than how bad their taste and judgement was, Mendes and ION also approved a mawkish lyric that is a spoiler. It belongs at the end of the film, which is bad enough.
  • RC7RC7
    smitty wrote: »
    @timmer speaks the truth. I think what so distresses so many posters who dislike SS's Peeing on The Wall, is that SS is also peeing on the film. This mess of a song is nailed to SP forever. I don't know how much he may undermine SP, and every interview he gives, but I cannot see how his screeching falsetto can possibly help. To SS, this is all bout him, not Bond.

Is this a thing now? I've seen it a few times and each is as witless as the last.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Considering his 20 minutes effort, I would rather call it "Writing soon the waul."
    What a bunch of wet blankets over a song.

Boohoo it spoils the movie, really because Adele's could not save the movie.

CR did alright with that subpar rocksong that is today unrecognisable as a bondsong unless you are a Bondfan.

All this moaning is indeed the writing on the wall. peopel are starting to regret the wisdom of getting Mendes for a second time.

But in all fairness I would agree that this is not SS best record.
    Sorry for joining the band wagon BUT imagine playing WHATTITW at the beginning of OHMSS, it would make little sense. Who is "we"? Why do we have time? etc But at the end, the bitter-sweet, tragic context comes through. It's as if SS has actually written the song with the aim of having it as the closing credits. Perhaps there is still time for a switch?
  • I think that, falsetto aside, this is the most "Bondian" a Bond song has sounded for years and years. I love it.

I do sympathize, however, with those who don’t. It’s always so unfortunate to dislike a Bond song, since (like the movies themselves) we only get one every two or three years! I’d rather dislike the song and love the movie than the other way around, though.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,526
    I liked the song a lot when I first listened to it. Now that I've listened many times, I freaking LOVE the falsetto chorus. Oozing with subtle power, drama. I also really love how polarizing it is.