Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Sounds brilliant!!!!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Getafix wrote: »
    I enjoyed the Heineken add, but thought it was more Man from UNCLE meets Stella Artois, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. And it's only an ad.

Yes, that about sums it up perfectly.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Glad to see large quantities of humble pie being ordered by the 'Sam Smith not Bond' members on here.

I enjoyed the Heineken add, but thought it was more Man from UNCLE meets Stella Artois, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. And it's only an ad.

You can keep the pie and Sam Smith sorry still not convinced.

Fair enough. I agree this snippet doesn't really prove anything. My view is that there's no point prejudging a song before it's been heard. As I've said before, the list of artists who've performed Bond songs is not a list of high concept musical radicals - they're pretty mainstream entertainers. Sam Smith fits into that tradition so I don't see why some people are so unhappy with the choice.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Glad to see large quantities of humble pie being ordered by the 'Sam Smith not Bond' members on here.

You can keep the pie and Sam Smith sorry still not convinced.

Fair enough. I agree this snippet doesn't really prove anything. My view is that there's no point prejudging a song before it's been heard. As I've said before, the list of artists who've performed Bond songs is not a list of high concept musical radicals - they're pretty mainstream entertainers. Sam Smith fits into that tradition so I don't see why some people are so unhappy with the choice.

I can see why some people would be unhappy, but it is certainly expected they'd go with someone like Sam Smith for the very reasons you mentioned. People shouldn't be surprised.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,043
    There is no denying that piece of music is very lavish and cinematic sounding so it's fair to say that the music is going to be good but I'm not starting on any humble pie till I hear Smith singing, I'm not really a fan of his voice but if he pulls it off and convinces me I'll get my knife and fork ready.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,554
    Everything about this film seems EPIC. I predict it will be a better film than SF (some will say that that's not a difficult thing to accomplish, LOL) and that it will gross more. No matter what we see from Kingsman and U.N.C.L.E. and MI...Spectre is going to top all of them. It's just a whole different beast.

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Glad to see people are liking the Sam Smith song, I really despise those who moan and complain that an artist wont be good while having not heard the song.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    People are always dismissing thing before they've heard or seen them and if you don't like an artist then there is a good chance you might not like something they are going to put out, I can just imagine what you would have said DG if Radiohead had of got the gig, people certainly do live in glass houses and you my friend are no exception.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    Shardlake wrote: »
    There is no denying that piece of music is very lavish and cinematic sounding so it's fair to say that the music is going to be good but I'm not starting on any humble pie till I hear Smith singing, I'm not really a fan of his voice but if he pulls it off and convinces me I'll get my knife and fork ready.

Same here.
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    could be like Madonna's Frozen
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited September 2015 Posts: 16,330
    Sounds promising. I hope Newman's score is also at the same level. [-O<
  • This is annoying now. 15 sec's!
    This is annoying now. 15 sec's!

Sam Smith is obviously a bit of a tease.
    TripAces wrote: »
    Everything about this film seems EPIC. I predict it will be a better film than SF (some will say that that's not a difficult thing to accomplish, LOL) and that it will gross more. No matter what we see from Kingsman and U.N.C.L.E. and MI...Spectre is going to top all of them. It's just a whole different beast.

I am pretty sure it's going to be better than SF. Not sure whether it will make more money though. Sounds like it's going to be a tough few months with lots of competition.
  • antovolk wrote: »

Why the HELL have all my wettest Bond dreams heard in the past two years! Only 15 sec's, but that orchestra....!! Orgasmic!

Oh GG, you do make me laugh! Yes, if that 15 seconds are representative of the whole song - we're in for a treat.

As well as the obvious comparisons being made to Thunderball and John Barry, I would also draw upon certain strings from TWINE by Garbage. Orchestral, brassy, dare I say sensual. The main title song has to be the flavour of the whole film - so this provides much intrigue. The other thing I would add is (again, just on what we've heard) it sounds as if there's a lot to work with in terms of a recurring theme throughout the film à la CR.

I'm going to try not to listen to the song until the film comes out. But the amount I listen to the radio tells me that's going to be difficult!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,588
    The sample is brilliant. I can definitely see Bond arriving in Rome with that motif.
  • That sample kind of reminds me of the Moonraker cues (Snake Fight) used for the opening of the Blu-Ray menu.

• RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »
    The sample is brilliant. I can definitely see Bond arriving in Rome with that motif.

Not gonna happen.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    That sample kind of reminds me of the Moonraker cues (Snake Fight) used for the opening of the Blu-Ray menu.

There are some similarities to that track from MR definitely, but I still think it's closest to "Airship to Silicon Valley" from AVTAK (.20 to .40 in the clip below, including what I think are 'bass drums'):
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,215
    RC7 wrote: »

Not gonna happen.

Is it really all that much of a stretch? It's just like the use of Komodo Dragon is Skyfall.

Not gonna happen.

Is it really all that much of a stretch? It's just like the use of Komodo Dragon is Skyfall.

I think @RC7 is referring to the unlikelihood of Thomas Newman having incorporated the title song into his score.

I am actually hopeful that he has worked more closely with Smith than he did with Adele/Epworth.

EON forced Newman to incorporate that one reference in Komodo Dragon. I think they will have demanded more this time.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Likelihood is we will know on Friday when the song's credits are revealed. Wouldnt be surprised to find a "Produced by Thomas Newman" on it.

Not gonna happen.

I think @RC7 is referring to the unlikelihood of Thomas Newman having incorporated the title song into his score.

I am actually hopeful that he has worked more closely with Smith than he did with Adele/Epworth.

EON forced Newman to incorporate that one reference in Komodo Dragon. I think they will have demanded more this time.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm quite certain the cues will be there this time and will be incorporated into the score. They are going all out to evoke the franchise's great past, and also have the budget for large orchestration which will lend itself neatly to a grander sound.

Moreover and irrespective of the incorporation of the title track, it's Newman's 2nd time out of the gate and he'll likely want to do something epic to sign off on Bond.

Should be a great score this time around.
    Didn't realise their was a snippet released of Sam Smiths but have chosen not to listen to it. Will wait until i can hear the whole thing.
  • RC7RC7

Not gonna happen.

I was indeed referring to that @Getafix. Keeping my fingers crossed, but egos are at play.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Likelihood is we will know on Friday when the song's credits are revealed. Wouldnt be surprised to find a "Produced by Thomas Newman" on it.

There is something incredibly Newman'esque about that orchestration in the 15s clip, that is for sure. I felt exactly that when I heard it.
    bondjames wrote: »

Not gonna happen.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm quite certain the cues will be there this time and will be incorporated into the score. They are going all out to evoke the franchise's great past, and also have the budget for large orchestration which will lend itself neatly to a grander sound.

Moreover and irrespective of the incorporation of the title track, it's Newman's 2nd time out of the gate and he'll likely want to do something epic to sign off on Bond.

Should be a great score this time around.

I agree on the cues from the title song. All the signs are that EON were determined that Newman should incorporate the title song this time.

I'm not sure a 'great score' is guaranteed though. I just can't get that excited about Newman's music. He's obviously got talent but there is very little of his work that stands out as exceptional for me.

Still, here's hoping. I do think incorporating and referencing the SP title track will on its own elevate the score above SF.

The video to Skyfall, the dingy under water feel, hinted at the opening titles to SF. Do you think The Writing's on the Wall's video will hint at the opening titles to SPECTRE?
    YT embed of the theme song tease:

JCRendle wrote: »
    The video to Skyfall, the dingy under water feel, hinted at the opening titles to SF. Do you think The Writing's on the Wall's video will hint at the opening titles to SPECTRE?

Think so. Especially we know it's a music video launching this time as opposed to just a lyric video - Smith confirmed it in an interview after the announcement.
  • MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    Writings on the Wall is hitting all the right notes so far. I've always believed Sam Smith would put together a worthy track. I think we are in for another high quality song that could possibly get award recognition.

It definitely sounds like this tune could and should be interwoven with the soundtrack.
  • I hope that clip isn't just the 'retro bit' before the drum & bass kick in. I'd love to hear a fully orchestrated Bond theme. Fingers crossed.