Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• Friday
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Still no Canadian preorder... Hope it hits when it's officially released at least ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The musical cue sounds good, getting my hope up a bit here.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Still no USA pre-order. How can such a major release get so mucked up?
  • in the meanwhile, we not getting more excited by posting some great instrumental versions from previous Bond songs. I already know about the official Paul Epworth instrumental. But this one is arranged by the great City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra:

I won't listen to anything pre film showing but am still very interested to read discussion such as that on this thread and am heartened by the positive vibes on the recent pages.

I fear from listening to Sam Smith songs that if WotW is more of the same, yes I will be disappointed as I don't favour his voice or style BUT will judge on the day and not before.

The thing with pragmatism/ realism and a dose of pessimism is you're never disappointed as things may play out and be mediocre but should something work more favourably (against expectations) the reward is all the more sweeter to savour. I have closely guarded optimism but it rarely works favourably. Nothing is decided and what I have at this moment (until 26 October) are reservations but a willingness to be surprised and even relieved and impressed.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 3,333
    There's a good chance that the radio version (iTunes etc) will be quite different to the version used in the title sequence so I don't have a problem hearing it before. If anything it enhances my own empiricism because I can then sit back and enjoy Danny Kleinman's visuals as an entirely seperate experience. In the past, one could hear FYEO, AVTAK, TSWLM, LALD etc, on the radio long before seeing the movie at the cinema and I always found it a positive experience listening to a popular song introducing the main feature. Some cinemas even used to play the title song as a precursor to the movie as people took their seats to get the audience pumped and in the mood! God knows how that would've gone down with some of the forum posters here? Good luck to those that don't want to listen to Sam Smith's song before seeing the movie, though it might prove too difficult to avoid.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,594
    bondsum wrote: »
    There's a good chance that the radio version (iTunes etc) will be quite different to the version used in the title sequence so I don't have a problem hearing it before. If anything it enhances my own empiricism because I can then sit back and enjoy Danny Kleinman's visuals as an entirely seperate experience. In the past, one could hear FYEO, AVTAK, TSWLM, LALD etc, on the radio long before seeing the movie at the cinema and I always found it a positive experience listening to a popular song introducing the main feature. Some cinemas even used to play the title song as a precursor to the movie as people took their seats to get the audience pumped and in the mood! God knows how that would've gone down with some of the forum posters here? Good luck to those that don't want to listen to Sam Smith's song before seeing the movie, though it might prove too difficult to avoid.

Wow, some actually want to do this! Now, that's dedication. I remember one or two people got angry with me a few years ago when I mentioned that at the end of Skyfall, that I saw in Korea which came out on the same date as in the UK, that they had "Bond will return" at the end of the movie!

Is this song out on Friday? Will we be able to stream it?

bondsum wrote: »

This echoes my sentiments pretty much exactly.
    Yes, I agree @Bounine. I'm not quite sure how not hearing the song before seeing the movie enhances the experience?

As for "JB will return" being considered a spoiler.... they'd have to be a special kind of stupid to find this regular end tag a spoiler. What's next... Daniel Crag is James Bond a spoiler?

I believe the song's released in full this Friday.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    i found this on youtube... very creative and beautiful sounding.. this gentleman takes that teaser from Sam Smith and does an improv performance based around it..

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the song drops today right? the 23rd?.. is there any word on what time?
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 512
    HASEROT wrote: »
    No, this Friday. the 25th.
    JWPepper wrote: »

drats... i got my hope and everything for this morning lol... oh well... friday it is then.

Drax... i got my hope and everything for this morning lol... oh well... friday it is then.

Fixed that for you ;) Friday can't come soon enough for me either :P
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399

Drax... i got my hope and everything for this morning lol... oh well... friday it is then.

Fixed that for you ;) Friday can't come soon enough for me either :P

forgive me for not being canadian, but i often times find your humor difficult to follow ;)
    So apparently Smith did say at the concert he was going to perform a new never before heard song but backed off....
  • Every Bond year for me has FOUR pivotal dates. And I don't care if I hear the song earlier than during the actual premiere of the film:

--> Date no# 1, the title song release: This release date gets me not just excited. It gives me insomnia. I start re-listening all the scores, organizing the collection of Bond songs and scores I have. I become close to 'autistic' in the sense that I don't care so much for other people :-P. The actual very first time I hear the song is the moment where I can either be very happy (release of "SkyFall") or very bloddy disappointed ("Another Way To Die"). The date for the title song release is upcoming Friday, September 25th.
    --> Date no# 2, the film score release: Another 'orgasmic' date for me. It's another pivotal 'premiere date'. I don't care if the title tracks spoil me a bit. Come on guys, even without those SonyLeaks we have already been spoiled a great deal thanks to the very essence of a forum, our beloved MI6community. The very first time I hear the score, I will surely put the score on repeat constantly. I can have a very good feeling, in that I approve of the score (Thomas Newman, "SkyFall"), but disappointment also happens (David Arnold, "Quantum Of Solace"). The date for the film score release is Friday, October 23rd. I hope the first track will include the gunbarrel sequence ;-).
    --> Date no#3, the UK royal premiere webcast of the film: I closely watched the webcast back in 2012 of the Royal Premiere of "SkyFall" at the Royal Albert Hall. Always lovely to see all the stars, especially previous Bond stars. I still recall Sir Christopher Lee arriving with a walking stick and a great sense of humour on the red carpet. Also cute to see actor Ben Whishaw being so happy like a little kid. As if he never experienced that before. Royal premiere webcast will be Monday, October 26th.
    --> Date no#4, the first ever time I bloody see the new Bond film in cinema!: Back in 2012 my first time viewing was so flawed. You know why? I made a mistake in the reservation. Me and my friend went on Friday 10:00 PM showing in Barcelona, and then at the ticket control the tickets said "for viewing on Saturday, 10:00 PM". I was begutted :-O! We could see the film at the very back of the cinema. Nasty experience, as I couldn't see the main title sequence properly :-(. Will not happen again this year!! Premiere date in Barcelona, Spain is Friday, November 6th.

And guess what, the first pivotal date is in two days already :-O !!!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 1,552
    According to the HMV website, the CD and vinyl versions will include both the vocal and instrumental versions.

store.hmv.com/music/pre-orders/writing-s-on-the-wall

store.hmv.com/music/pre-orders/writing-s-on-the-wall-(1)
  • RC7RC7
    JCRendle wrote: »
    According to the HMV website, the CD and vinyl versions will include both the vocal and instrumental versions.

That's good to know. Even from the 15 sec clip it feels like the kind of track I would love an instrumental of.

• EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    it says the release date is today .. should we wait for it today?
  • RC7 wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »

That's good to know. Even from the 15 sec clip it feels like the kind of track I would love an instrumental of.

I can play it for you if you want dear @RC7 :-P.
    Release day is Friday - http://www.007.com/sam-smith-to-sing-title-song-for-spectre/
    antovolk wrote: »
    Release day is Friday - http://www.007.com/sam-smith-to-sing-title-song-for-spectre/

so this is wrong?

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    antovolk wrote: »

so this is wrong?

The amazon.de pre-order page says the same but I doubt it.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Yes it's wrong. And I can say that probably they set it this way to avoid unwanted automatic early release
    Guys, it says 23rd October, not September - I'm guessing digital copy is released on Friday and physical copies are released at the end of October/November (Vinyl)
    you are right .. sorry i read it September with my heart :)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    This still annoys me. I did honestly have an inkling of a feeling he was lying. It was funny how he said ellie Goulding, then she tweeted live and let die. Its as if he wanted the heat of his soldier before the announcement. But where did the original rumours come form. Someone planted a seed last year with sams name. Just to produce rumours and hype. But I would love to know who spread the rumour first.
    This still annoys me.
    He had to keep it secret, if he just said "I can't comment" or "I can't confirm nor deny" etc. it would have been as good as an official confirmation.

He had to deny it and make it seem genuine - I'm guessing it was part of his contract.