Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    @Creasy47 - it makes me cry. ;-)
  • RC7RC7
    I don't really do lists, but wow, that seems way off the mark. No NDIB?
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Not done by a 007 fan clearly.
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    So I read on CNN that Mr. Smith said "writings on the wall" was a classic love song.makes you wonder what angle the title sequence might be designed towards and theme of the film. Suppose a sub plot in the film? :-?
    Garth007 wrote: »
    So I read on CNN that Mr. Smith said "writings on the wall" was a classic love song.makes you wonder what angle the title sequence might be designed towards and theme of the film. Suppose a sub plot in the film? :-?

The actual quote is that he wanted it to be "classic Bond" and an "epic love song".
  • Please, please, PLEASE... I hope this song doesn't follow or sound like "The Spy Who Loved Me" or "All Time High", if that's what Sam Smith means by classic love song. I hate when Bond does love ballads. Doesn't fit...
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Look at Yahoo's list of the top ten Bond title songs. Makes me laugh.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-10-greatest-james-bond-theme-songs-128627200211.html

Always have respect for those who are not Bond fans ;-). I mean. Those include obviously Madonna-fans, LALD-fans (further evergreen status thanks to Guns 'n Roses), Adele fans...
  • Please, please, PLEASE... I hope this song doesn't follow or sound like "The Spy Who Loved Me" or "All Time High", if that's what Sam Smith means by classic love song. I hate when Bond does love ballads. Doesn't fit...

In a way "All Time High" and "Moonraker" reminded me a bit of "Skyfall". Same slow-tempo, same soulful mood, songs with dignity....
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,043
    RC7 wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    He wrote the song in 20 minutes. I wonder how long until @Shardlake puts his balls in a vice.

RC7 you are a very funny fellow, you got your knickers in a twist over the poster mate, I'd rather have a decent song than a poster personally.

He wrote it with someone else and the idea of Yorke & Greenwood writing this wasn't that far fetched. I hoped it would be RH or the Arctic Monkeys but I was never convinced and pretty much knew the choice would be safe and purely commercial.

If you prefer Sam Smith over Radiohead I'm glad I'm not subjected to your music collection. You get precious over a poster I get precious over music. I still unlike most spend allot of money on it.

I'm open to hear what it's like mate but people in glass house, you've kicked up just as big a stink over the poster which to me is pretty small in the scheme of things. The theme is a much bigger deal.

Hey mate, it was meant tongue in cheek. I'm self aware enough to see the hypocrisy in that statement were I to be genuinely mocking you. Although I've seen the poster and you haven't heard the song, so I'd keep my hopes up if I were you. Then you can decimate the forum if you don't like it.

To be honest I'd rather it was good and I have to eat my words, the last thing I want is an underwhelming song so I can be proved right, I'd like a killer theme to what is possibly going to be one of the very best Bond films ever. I think that's why I wanted something different for the theme and not Skyfall 2 which I'm sorry I think Sam Smith's effort is likely to be but we will see.

I don't mind Adele's Skyfall it works very well on the credits but outside of that it's pretty dour and anyone that thinks it matches up to Barry's best has cloth ears. You might say music is subjective but I say that's bollocks, when it comes to it some of us have taste and others haven't got a clue.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    --> "Writing's On The Wall" is a British saying that doesn't bode well: "Implies that there is evidence of an impending disaster. The event may be seen as difficult to avert."
    --> At the same time it's a love song. Sam Smith explicitly confirmed it.
    --> One of the new posters shows Daniel Craig in typical Bond pose, slightly smirking, whereas Madeleine Swann stands next to him in a hapless way.
    --> The original teaser poster that was released in December has a bullet hole through glass, in which you can see the Octopus logo. I think it's a serious part of the narrative.
    --> This picture shows Madeleine like a real troubled character, crying:
    COU7tWuWEAY9rKm.jpg:large

I think....Madeleine Swann dies at the end of "SPECTRE". Presumably she gets killed. So I pretty much expect a dramatic love song :-<
  • Do you think that Spectre will be a "re-imagining" of OHMSS? In terms of Bond falling in love with Madeleine; possibly getting married? Bullet hole through the glass at the end?
  • Garth007Garth007 Missouri, USA
    antovolk wrote: »
    Garth007 wrote: »

The actual quote is that he wanted it to be "classic Bond" and an "epic love song".
    Apparently my auto correct too a detour and merged both those together but still same point we will get from what he says a classic bond song that could be a love song...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    --> "Writing's On The Wall" is a British saying that doesn't bode well: "Implies that there is evidence of an impending disaster. The event may be seen as difficult to avert."

Exactly......and quite cryptic for a song title.

It also seems to suggest an element of finality as well, but via foreshadowing rather than actual depiction.
  • bondjames wrote: »

It also seems to suggest an element of finality as well, but via foreshadowing rather than actual depiction.

Perhaps.....this will be the first Bond film where Bond marries in the end....and stays happily married. Then the final scenes are entirely S.P.E.C.T.R.E.-oriented, in which Blofeld orders someone to kill off Swann. But we don't get to see it!
  • bondjames wrote: »

Perhaps.....this will be the first Bond film where Bond marries in the end....and stays happily married. Then the final scenes are entirely S.P.E.C.T.R.E.-oriented, in which Blofeld orders someone to kill off Swann. But we don't get to see it!

Do you think that Spectre will be a "re-imagining" of OHMSS? In terms of Bond falling in love with Madeleine; possibly getting married? Bullet hole through the glass at the end?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Or, someone else does the killing. Leaving Bond and Blofeld to
    Team up to find the killer the first in a Series of Buddie movies. :D
    Just get Guy Ritchie to direct.
  • --> "Writing's On The Wall" is a British saying that doesn't bode well: "Implies that there is evidence of an impending disaster. The event may be seen as difficult to avert."
    --> At the same time it's a love song. Sam Smith explicitly confirmed it.
    --> One of the new posters shows Daniel Craig in typical Bond pose, slightly smirking, whereas Madeleine Swann stands next to him in a hapless way.
    --> The original teaser poster that was released in December has a bullet hole through glass, in which you can see the Octopus logo. I think it's a serious part of the narrative.
    --> This picture shows Madeleine like a real troubled character, crying:
    COU7tWuWEAY9rKm.jpg:large

I think....Madeleine Swann dies at the end of "SPECTRE". Presumably she gets killed. So I pretty much expect a dramatic love song :-<

Doesn't this kind of remind you of the scene from OHMSS where Blofeld is flirting with Tracy inside his office at Piz Gloria, talking about he's going to make her his?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Or, someone else does the killing. Leaving Bond and Blofeld to
    Team up to find the killer the first in a Series of Buddie movies. :D
    Just get Guy Ritchie to direct.
  • RC7RC7
    I don't mind Adele's Skyfall it works very well on the credits but outside of that it's pretty dour and anyone that thinks it matches up to Barry's best has cloth ears. You might say music is subjective but I say that's bollocks, when it comes to it some of us have taste and others haven't got a clue.

Some people have a vested interest in certain areas of the arts, be that music, film, theatre etc and they hold anything produced within 'x' discipline to exacting standards that perhaps the layman doesn't have the time or inclination to do. Sometimes people just enjoy things for unscientific reasons, they can't explain with facts and figures why it resonates, or justify it by the cultural relevance of the artist. In short some people just like the sound of Sam Smith, I guess, I haven't really studied his music, but perhaps you're right. Maybe it isn't all subjective because I know that his voice dumps on Thom Yorke. From where I'm sitting I don't think that's even up for debate. Better lyricist or artist? I'll leave that to the musos, but the purpose of delivering a vocal on a Bond track I'm happy to have someone who possesses the level of soul that Smith does. He seems like he could provide a 'romantic ballad' akin to what we'd expect from a Bond theme.
  • RC7 wrote: »
    They can get away with the obvious in 2015 because the fans provide the smoke and mirrors for them.

Yes, and that's why there are indeed real scoops out there that quite a few choose not to believe :)
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 352
    That photo is so interesting
  • Also, do you think that Mr. White could be the new "Draco?" It would make sense - Bond falls in love with the daughter of a leader of a criminal organization/syndicate.

Well both fathers of Tracy and Madeleine are....criminals yes.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 14,816
    I LOVE the title. I know zilch about Sam Smith, and I do mean zilch. But I really love the title.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,043

Some people have a vested interest in certain areas of the arts, be that music, film, theatre etc and they hold anything produced within 'x' discipline to exacting standards that perhaps the layman doesn't have the time or inclination to do. Sometimes people just enjoy things for unscientific reasons, they can't explain with facts and figures why it resonates, or justify it by the cultural relevance of the artist. In short some people just like the sound of Sam Smith, I guess, I haven't really studied his music, but perhaps you're right. Maybe it isn't all subjective because I know that his voice dumps on Thom Yorke. From where I'm sitting I don't think that's even up for debate. Better lyricist or artist? I'll leave that to the musos, but the purpose of delivering a vocal on a Bond track I'm happy to have someone who possesses the level of soul that Smith does. He seems like he could provide a 'romantic ballad' akin to what we'd expect from a Bond theme.

To be honest I've never gone for technically great voices, Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey are obviously technically better singers than Kate Bush but to me they are bland and offer nothing new.

Whereas Bush is a hugely gifted artist and musician that has a unique voice. Yorke for me has delivered some hugely emotional vocals, especially on the likes of High & Dry & Fake Plastic Trees, I will admit of late he has gone into a phase of not wanting to sing much but if he'd been given the job he would pulled a great vocal out of the hat.

Smith has got a very soulful voice but If I want soul there are plenty of more genuine artists I'd rather listen to. As for an artist Yorke's abilities dwarf a singer who lets face it is likely to go the way of Dido, Will Young and the like. Adele is never likely to hit the same heights again as 21 but OK Computer will still be played and hailed as a masterpiece decades after Sam Smith and his peers have been forgotten.

Yorke is entering into composing like his band mate who has already proven his worth for Paul Thomas Anderson. They would have been more than equipped to have pulled something out that would have been different and memorable. Radiohead's legacy is cemented, Smith will be doing cabaret within the next 10 years living of his 15 minutes of fame.

You can't honestly say that The Writings On The Wall is going to compare to You Only Live Twice, We Have all the time in the World, Diamonds are Forever or Nobody Does It Better?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    One thing I'll keep in mind for B25:

Whoever is the first artist mentioned, that's most likely who it is, as it has happened this way with Adele & Smith.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Let me be clear about this, IF Spectre is some kind of homage/remake/re-imagening of OHMSS they better make sure it works because otherwise it will end up in a catastrophy.

I rather have an original story.

As for the theme song being a love song and this reflecting the movie I only hope Spectre will not turn out to be a corny melodramatic affair like Skyfall partly was.

But maybe we should not read too much into this. Let's wait for the song.

What worries me the most actually is the fact that once again, lazy or (uncapable?) Thomas Newman does not integrate the theme song into the movie score.

As a rule EON should only appoint composers who do the theme song as well as co-composer. It worked so well with David Arnold.
  • It is announced it is Sam Smith. As for as the first male singer of the theme song, am Smith is the first one since 1965. Dis not Paul McCartney sing for Live and Let Die in 1973? He is a Brit, the Beetle!
  • Omg... Omg... I'm putting things together. In OHMSS, there was a lot of themes relating to husbandry, ancestry, and genealogy. With Blofeld being a person from Bond's past, do you think this may have to do with something of those elements?
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    A point I'd like to raise, which I'm not sure has been yet, re. the song. This goes against my own mantra of 'if it seems obvious, it probably is', so it's highly possible I'm barking up the wrong tree. However...

In Smith's audio clip with Nick Grimshaw he describes his ambition for the song was to try and make it a 'Classic timeless, Bond song' and also 'an epic love song', the way he says it suggests the two thoughts are independent, but that's been conflated by the media as 'classic love song', or in other words ballad. For those panicking, perhaps it's not necessarily the ballad you fear, but a more pulsating, orchestral piece that is lyrically driven by a love theme. A lot of the best love songs aren't ballads.

Unlikely given his track record, but possible.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    A point I'd like to raise, which I'm not sure has been yet, re. the song. This goes against my own mantra of 'if it seems obvious, it probably is', so it's highly possible I'm barking up the wrong tree. However...

In Smith's audio clip with Nick Grimshaw he describes his ambition for the song was to try and make it a 'Classic timeless, Bond song' and also 'an epic love song', the way he says it suggests the two thoughts are independent, but that's been conflated by the media as 'classic love song', or in other words ballad. For those panicking, perhaps it's not necessarily the ballad you fear, but a more pulsating, orchestral piece that is lyrically driven by a love theme. A lot of the best love songs aren't ballads.

Unlikely given his track record, but possible.

Good points.

But consider this:

SAM SMITH is the TOM JONES of our generation.