Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    RC7 wrote: »
    A point I'd like to raise, which I'm not sure has been yet, re. the song. This goes against my own mantra of 'if it seems obvious, it probably is', so it's highly possible I'm barking up the wrong tree. However...

In Smith's audio clip with Nick Grimshaw he describes his ambition for the song was to try and make it a 'Classic timeless, Bond song' and also 'an epic love song', the way he says it suggests the two thoughts are independent, but that's been conflated by the media as 'classic love song', or in other words ballad. For those panicking, perhaps it's not necessarily the ballad you fear, but a more pulsating, orchestral piece that is lyrically driven by a love theme. A lot of the best love songs aren't ballads.

Unlikely given his track record, but possible.
    Good points. Just hoping it's somehow Bondian and fits the movie. Really can't gt my head around Smith pulling this off - but I sure hope he does. A good title song always lifts the film ... but ultimately is not crucial.

• antovolk wrote: »
    So this is my question...

What in the world is going on with Ellie Goulding? What is this "Spy" song that she recorded? Some of this doesn't make sense. I think EON is holding out on some information related to the music.

The working title "Spy" song HAS to be part of Spectre... Why throw bones out like that if they don't mean anything? Unless it was a whole plot between the two artists to distract people?

I think it may be just a rejected song that she redid for her upcoming album.

Maybe your on to something there. It's funny how Sam mentioned Ellie Goulding in that interview, then ellie put live and let die and stuff. I believe they did plan it to distract attention away from Sam Smith. Certainly something going on their I would say.
  • From the tone of Spectre, sam just seems a poor choice. I was expecting someone far more upbeat like live and let die style. Oh well.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I have to say I think this is a good and commercially savvy choice.

I am also pretty confident this is going to be another smash hit, a la Adele.

I think Smith's style and voice will make a welcome change from the recent 'belt it out and hope for the best' sort of approach. It's going to be nicely different song.

Like many others though, I am concerned that Thomas Newman will once again refuse to incorporate the song theme into his score. Having said that, may be the fact that Smith has been working on the song for so long means Newman will have had time to work it into his score.

All in all I'm reasonably happy.

Also, didn't Mendes say there would be other songs in the film? Any word on this?
    Please, please, PLEASE... I hope this song doesn't follow or sound like "The Spy Who Loved Me" or "All Time High", if that's what Sam Smith means by classic love song. I hate when Bond does love ballads. Doesn't fit...

You mean you hope it's not another classic Bond song like the ones you mention?
  • I know that's what is worrying me. If its like them love songs I will cry probably.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330
    Please can someone clear up this confusion. I'm told that the release date for the theme is on 25th September, but when I go to pre order on iTunes official site is says Release Date 23 October 2015??????? Click link to see for yourself. https://store.digitalstores.co.uk/samsmith/*/Music/Writing-s-On-The-Wall-CD-Single/4VHQ05U7000

Also where can I pre order for digital release, as they seem to be disk an vinyl
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Please can someone clear up this confusion. I'm told that the release date for the theme is on 25th September, but when I go to pre order on iTunes official site is says Release Date 23 October 2015??????? Click link to see for yourself. https://store.digitalstores.co.uk/samsmith/*/Music/Writing-s-On-The-Wall-CD-Single/4VHQ05U7000

Also where can I pre order for digital release, as they seem to be disk an vinyl

They have probably yet to update the old UK release date.
  • robcoperobcope St. Petersburg, FL
    After YKMN and AWTD, I was hoping for another upbeat song from Adele. I was expecting something like her song "Rumor Has It", which actually has a bit of a Bondian sound in it. Needless to say, I was disappointed when Skyfall came out. I'm not seeing much reason for home that Sam Smith's theme will be uptempo. I, too, was hoping for a LALD kind of feel to it. Has anyone described the tune of the song?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Forgive me is this quote was already posted. I'm catching up during breaks at work.
    I just copied the following from Reuters News: (bolding is mine)

Smith declined to say much about the song -- because it would give away the plot. The singer, who had vocal cord surgery this year, described how challenging it was to perform.

"It probably had something to do with it (his vocal chord problems) because ... the song is the highest song ever," he said. "It's so difficult for me to sing."

"Writing's On The Wall" is out on Sept. 25.

Not reassuring. If the plot is given away at the opening in the title song ... if he is singing the highest he has ever sung ...

OK, just hoping all of this means naught and the song itself is good. But what do you all think of this particular quote from Sam?

Here's the link to the article: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/08/us-film-bond-music-idUSKCN0R811X20150908
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    doesn't seem to be showing up in Canada... we always get the - end of the stick, eh?
    :(

This kind of stick?

3254347_orig.jpg

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    :))
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 565
    JamesStock wrote: »
    I'm going to laugh at all of you hoping for Radiohead when it's revealed it's not him.
    Nobody is "hoping for Radiohead". It's Radiohead. Game over. Deal with it. [url="http://tinyurl.com/ontbl32
    "]tinyurl.com/ontbl32
    [/url]
    Uh, what was that? I'm dealing with it great!!!! Hahahahaha!
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 498
    doubleoego wrote: »

@Gustav try not to pass out with over excitement! ;)

Haha!:D
    It is announced it is Sam Smith. As for as the first male singer of the theme song, am Smith is the first one since 1965. Dis not Paul McCartney sing for Live and Let Die in 1973? He is a Brit, the Beetle!

What abourt Chris Cornell?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2015 Posts: 4,399
    roko wrote: »
    It is announced it is Sam Smith. As for as the first male singer of the theme song, am Smith is the first one since 1965. Dis not Paul McCartney sing for Live and Let Die in 1973? He is a Brit, the Beetle!

What abourt Chris Cornell?

Chris Cornell is American... from Seattle,WA
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 187
    Perhaps this may be received as a poor idea but perhaps many of us are looking at this from the wrong angle.

- SPECTRE trailer re-imagines the OHMSS theme.
    - Bond girl is the daughter of a criminal
    - The SPECTRE logo with the shattered glass

Perhaps this "love song" of Smith's that he is delivering to us for SPECTRE is what the Bond producers hope is a song for the modern Bond that will try and strike the same emotional chord as We Have All The Time In The World?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I will give the poor sod a chance. Poor artists have come up with a brilliant tune or two in the past. Another couple of weeks, only then can we pass judgment.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,727
    Well… this news left me rather ‘meh’. Indifferent but not surprised, as it makes perfect sense - EoN have become a marketing machine rather than a movie-making machine. They pander to the lowest common-denominator.

I’m sure Smith can pull off a good tune - I don’t doubt his artistic credentials - he is a decent songwriter and can sing, even though his style is not my cup of tea.

My main complaint with all this is that it does not sit at all well with the tone of the leading character. The music should complement the film & it’s protagonist, not be a separate entity. DC’s bond is crying out for an edgy song that mirrors his angst-ridden, austere take on James Bond. Sam Smith is not, alas, an artist who will reflect that.

As others have pointed out Sam Smith is the most bankable British mainstream artist of the moment, just as Adele was prior to SF. And EoN want SP, just as its predecessor did, to appeal to a broader audience than traditional Bond films have done in the past.
    It is the same formula that made them lots of $$$$ the last time around so it should surprise no one that they have gone down the same route. They have played it safe, bland even, and I fear that it may be a sign of the overall approach to the whole film…
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I
    No I did say it was extreme after saying that. I'm just annoyed he is doing it and his name is tied to it. I hate him. I also don't like gay's. Sorry just nooo

Well, I've never flagged a post before, so congratulations on being my first. You pillock.

You should get a warning for calling me a pillock. Still offensive and your just as bad.

How do you know who does and doesn't get a warning? Such matters are dealt with privately. And I would also suggest you read the terms and conditions you signed up to when you joined the forum.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    NicNac wrote: »
    I
    No I did say it was extreme after saying that. I'm just annoyed he is doing it and his name is tied to it. I hate him. I also don't like gay's. Sorry just nooo

Well, I've never flagged a post before, so congratulations on being my first. You pillock.

You should get a warning for calling me a pillock. Still offensive and your just as bad.

How do you know who does and doesn't get a warning? Such matters are dealt with privately. And I would also suggest you read the terms and conditions you signed up to when you joined the forum.

Yeah I don't want to see this type of post on here. I too would rather see that guy banned. What does someone's sexuality have to do with the whole thing. In your small mind Gareth a gay singer is not as good as hetrosexual one. What an absolute disgusting creature you are.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 330

[/quote]

You should get a warning for calling me a pillock. Still offensive and your just as bad. [/quote]

How do you know who does and doesn't get a warning? Such matters are dealt with privately. And I would also suggest you read the terms and conditions you signed up to when you joined the forum.[/quote]

Are you part of the community, and you call me a pillock. Should be ashamed. Also, I'm not going to wase my time reading a list of terms and conditions.

This also happened a while back and ive apologised on this forum and your just bringing it all up again.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I

Yeah I don't want to see this type of post on here. I too would rather see that guy banned. What does someone's sexuality have to do with the whole thing. In your small mind Gareth a gay singer is not as good as hetrosexual one. What an absolute disgusting creature you are.

Oh dear - can open... worms all over the place.
    Let's not get too politically correct around here, it is the bane of modern society. I don't agree with the poster's sentiments but I do think opinions should not be censored, as long as they are expressed in a courteous manner.

Having said that though just saying "I hate Sam Smith" is, although a tad harsh, fair enough - but the singer's sexual preference shouldn't really even come into the equation, I would have thought.

Personally I don't much care for Phil Collins fans. Disgusting people, really...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    . Also, I'm not going to wase my time reading a list of terms and conditions.
    Good luck out there.

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    AceHole wrote: »
    k
    I

Oh dear - can open... worms all over the place.
    Let's not get too politically correct around here, it is the bane of modern society. I don't agree with the poster's sentiments but I do think opinions should not be censored, as long as they are expressed in a courteous manner.

Having said that though just saying "I hate Sam Smith" is, although a tad harsh, fair enough - but the singer's sexual preference shouldn't really even come into the equation, I would have thought.

Personally I don't much care for Phil Collins fans. Disgusting people, really...

"I hate gays" is courteous in your mind?
  • Unles it's something really important, but ive gone so far ok. But a website's terms and conditions is a a waste of time. Not something really urgent is it.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Has anyone got the single ordered. Don't suppose there is a date flying about on when it would be available from Amazon (UK) is there?

I'm kinda looking forward to hearing the song now, I may not be a fan of Sam Smith's music but I do think he has a good voice. Plus, it's a new Bond tune to listen to, so all good. I am sure we will be pleasantly surprised when it arrives.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I guess downloading on Amazon will be the same day as in iTunes, September 28th.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    To try and put some perspective on the casting of Sam Smith, this piece is generating a bit of chat. It is a significant development - an out gay successful singer is chosen to be the first and youngest British male soloist for 50 years to croon a Bond tune. Of course the world is moving towards people's sexuality being less of a concern, but not everywhere (judging by some fans comments).

OFF THE WALL - Why Sam Smith entering Bond's Thunderball of Fame is good news for 007 :

http://www.out.com/news-opinion/2015/9/08/why-sam-smith-entering-bonds-thunderball-fame-good-news-007