Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• Sandy wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    The 1960's:
    --> "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE"s song "From Russia With Love": Forgettable crooner/Eurovision-esque song. Still no hit.

I agree with everything you say apart from this, @Gustuv. Forgettable crooner! His song for Born Free won an Oscar! I know how you love the Oscars so I'm surprised by your oversight on his film song legacy. Also a FRWL song that peaked in the UK Top 20 is hardly a flop, especially as Bond wasn't known back in 1963 for its title song, or end credits song in Matt Monro's case. Bond had yet to catch on Stateside so a single record release was unlikely at the time.

The fact that George Martin also wanted to work with Monro, alongside John Barry on four seperate musical score occasions, plus Quincy Jones (The Italian Job) elevates him higher than your withering dismisal. I don't think Monro deserves this.

Yep! FRWL is a great song and Matt Monro was far from forgettable!

I only meant the song "FRWL". I never really got into it. It reminded me of a boring old UK entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, like "I Love The Little Things. By jolly, wait, that Eurovision entry from 1964 WAS performed by Matt Munro :-P. It came 2nd:

uk1.jpg

Funny though, also Lulu did both Eurovision and James Bond :-)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm happy it's a guy with a somewhat crooner-ish voice singing it this time. It's been a long time (TB?) since we've had that.

A while ago I speculated that SP would be DC's TB (bigger and better than the SF predecessor, which is GF). It seems we could be going in this direction after all.

So I expect something a little more brassy/upbeat than Adele's song but not necessarily rock-oriented. Something with sinister lyrics about the villain, a'la TB.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm looking forward to it. I think Smith is very talented and can really knock it out of the park.

"The writing's on the wall?"
    "Along with the rest of him!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Yes, I'd go along with that. From what I've heard of Sam Smith's voice, I
    Like it, and from what I've read, he seems to be a talented guy. So my
    Hopes are high for a theme I'm going to like. The final big thrill will be to
    Hear it playing over the wonderful Daniel Kleinman titles. ;)
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    So when it becomes available for pre-order on iTunes at midnight, will we get the sample?
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,252
    Doesn't sound like a collaboration between Smith and Newman, so perhaps we won't be hearing the theme song in the movie :(
  • Guys! is there any chance we could get a leaked sample, or official sample before the 25th. I remember hearing skyfall sample days before the release.
    In a way, the stakes are higher than usual with this song. Everything else seems to be in place for a classic Bond (cast, director etc), it would be just horrible for it not to get the music it deserves. Fingers crossed
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland

Guys! is there any chance we could get a leaked sample, or official sample before the 25th. I remember hearing skyfall sample days before the release.

As Smith was send the script to read before writing the song, I would rather wait to nearer the time to hear it. End up over analysing the lyrics it might give something away.
  • I know, but that was the same case with adele. She was given the script and that kind of had some spoilers. Still, a leaked sample was released. So I hope this happens with this one. But my question is, do you think a leak will happen before 25th.
    I know, but that was the same case with adele. She was given the script and that kind of had some spoilers. Still, a leaked sample was released. So I hope this happens with this one. But my question is, do you think a leak will happen before 25th.

Don't see anything through official channels. Hard to predict if someone breaks trust and leaks something. Impossible to say.
  • SirGodfreySirGodfrey France
    w2bond wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like a collaboration between Smith and Newman, so perhaps we won't be hearing the theme song in the movie :(

Sam Mendes said the song was finished a few months ago. I hope Newman had enough time to use properly the theme song in the movie.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It would be nice to have a few music cues from the theme during the film. :)
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    SirGodfrey wrote: »

Sam Mendes said the song was finished a few months ago. I hope Newman had enough time to use properly the theme song in the movie.

Smith said it was recorded in January, so you would hope so...
    Sigh maybe I can get popcorn during the song.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    edited September 2015 Posts: 191
    00Ralf wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

"The writing on the wall", or "the hand writing on the wall", or "the writing is on the wall" or "Mene Mene", is an idiom implying that there is evidence of an impending disaster. The event may be seen as difficult to avert.

Well, there's no averting this disaster now, that's for sure. They might as well put the gunbarrel at the end again!

"Writings on the Wall", isn't that a Destiny's Child record? So generic. The film title just lends itself so well to being used as the song title and as a lyric. Why not use it??
  • I like how people are being judgemental and they haven't even heard the bloody song yet.
    I like how people are being judgemental and they haven't even heard the bloody song yet.

I find it small minded and baffling.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I like how people are being judgemental and they haven't even heard the bloody song yet.

The song itself may be great but my issue is with his voice! It's like if I won a really amazing car in a colour I really hated: it might handle like a dream but I'd always wish it was a colour I actually liked!

The song itself may be great but my issue is with his voice! It's like if I won a really amazing car in a colour I really hated: it might handle like a dream but I'd always wish it was a colour I actually liked!

I hated Shirley Manson's voice but the Garage's TWINE took me by surprise I enjoyed it.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 4,619
    So the song won't be released today after all? That's quite disappointing... But more importantly, it seems that Radiohead has absolutely nothing to do with the movie, which means I have to go. I'm posting a message in the "Going away or coming back?" thread and then I'm out.

Shrugs I have heard a few samples of Sam smiths other tunes to know I will probably not like it and put it in the middle to bottom of my list. My personal taste in music is rock and roll I think I have made that clear so of course when it comes to Bond I prefer the rock themes On Her Majesties Secret Service (which I feel is very rock and roll), Live and Let Die, A View to a Kill, The Loving Daylights, Goldeneye (which has rock themes), The World is not enough, You Know My Name and Another way to die.

This is of course just my preferences if you love the more ballady jazzy sound great I hope the Sam Smith song is everything you want it to be. I will still buy it of course (even bought die another day) because I am a bond fan and I like owning all 24 official bond themes but will I love it like live and let die or You Know My name no probably not.

I mean sure Sam Smith could surprise everyone and go completely against musical character and write an incredible rock bond theme that leaves all previous ones in the dust but come on guys and gals is ANYONE thinking that he will do that? No good so then my initial response stands I will time it right to get popcorn during the song
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote: »
    He wrote the song in 20 minutes. I wonder how long until @Shardlake puts his balls in a vice.

RC7 you are a very funny fellow, you got your knickers in a twist over the poster mate, I'd rather have a decent song than a poster personally.

He wrote it with someone else and the idea of Yorke & Greenwood writing this wasn't that far fetched. I hoped it would be RH or the Arctic Monkeys but I was never convinced and pretty much knew the choice would be safe and purely commercial.

If you prefer Sam Smith over Radiohead I'm glad I'm not subjected to your music collection. You get precious over a poster I get precious over music. I still unlike most spend allot of money on it.

I'm open to hear what it's like mate but people in glass house, you've kicked up just as big a stink over the poster which to me is pretty small in the scheme of things. The theme is a much bigger deal.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

Mallory wrote: »

Smith said it was recorded in January, so you would hope so...

The issue is whether Newman wants to use it in the soundtrack. Most if not all of the films with theme heavily integrated have the song (co)-written by the soundtrack composer
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    So the song won't be released today after all? That's quite disappointing... But more importantly, it seems that Radiohead has absolutely nothing to do with the movie, which means I have to go. I'm posting a message in the "Going away or coming back?" thread and then I'm out.

@PanchitoPistoles there's really no need, is there? You got the artist wrong, so what? People will have a bit of fun with you for a while and then, in a month, nobody remembers about it. We might not always agree on everything but I'd be sad to see you go.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Both the poster and the song are a pretty big deal to me.

The poster (after the addition of Seydoux) is acceptable to me.

The song had better be exceptional (especially if they've had since January to refine it) and the music accompanying it as well. EON have relegated two songs over the past 20 yrs (Surrender and No Good about Goodbye), both of which to me sounded like pastiche and very strongly evoked the past while being clearly inferior (imho) to the past hits, although potentially better than what made the final film. That suggests they don't want to copy the past.

Based on that, I'm assuming this song is going to be fresh and sound quite dynamic (similar to YKMN was different for a Bond theme).

Looking forward to it.
  • RC7RC7
    Shardlake wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    He wrote the song in 20 minutes. I wonder how long until @Shardlake puts his balls in a vice.

RC7 you are a very funny fellow, you got your knickers in a twist over the poster mate, I'd rather have a decent song than a poster personally.

He wrote it with someone else and the idea of Yorke & Greenwood writing this wasn't that far fetched. I hoped it would be RH or the Arctic Monkeys but I was never convinced and pretty much knew the choice would be safe and purely commercial.

If you prefer Sam Smith over Radiohead I'm glad I'm not subjected to your music collection. You get precious over a poster I get precious over music. I still unlike most spend allot of money on it.

I'm open to hear what it's like mate but people in glass house, you've kicked up just as big a stink over the poster which to me is pretty small in the scheme of things. The theme is a much bigger deal.

Hey mate, it was meant tongue in cheek. I'm self aware enough to see the hypocrisy in that statement were I to be genuinely mocking you. Although I've seen the poster and you haven't heard the song, so I'd keep my hopes up if I were you. Then you can decimate the forum if you don't like it.
  • I reserve judgement until I hear the song. Fingers crossed.

At this point, I have to confess I'm happy it's not the Arctic Monkeys. When the idea was first brought up on this thread, I loved it. Smart idea. Then posters began sounding like whiny children on a long road trip (are we there yet? are we there yet?) -- so that every other post was, approximately, "I hear this suggestion or that suggestion but you're all idiots -- it can only be the Arctic Monkeys." And at some point I began to dislike the band through that association.

So Sam Smith. Not my favorite choice, but we may end up pleasantly surprised. (I hope.)
    writer5150 wrote: »
    I reserve judgement until I hear the song. Fingers crossed.

At this point, I have to confess I'm happy it's not the Arctic Monkeys. When the idea was first brought up on this thread, I loved it. Smart idea. Then posters began sounding like whiny children on a long road trip (are we there yet? are we there yet?) -- so that every other post was, approximately, "I hear this suggestion or that suggestion but you're all idiots -- it can only be the Arctic Monkeys." And at some point I began to dislike the band through that association.

So Sam Smith. Not my favorite choice, but we may end up pleasantly surprised. (I hope.)

I think it is ridiculous you would dislike a band by associating them with a handful of opinions on the internet.. but we are all a bit dramatic aren't we.
  • When will we receive the countdown website to the theme song ??????????? I remember Skyfall had its own countdown website for the midnight launch